Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Callaway to ditch the Chromesoft line????

Tsecor

I have no proof that it's even true, but the post below (from that thread) was what I was going to guess. They're recent ads stating they've dramatically improved quality and "right ball for everyone" seemed desperate and not credible anyway.

That and the fact Callaway, like many retailers, likes to promote "new and improved" and you can't do that without appearing to make significant changes. It's much easier to erase a bad image if you kill the associated name, than to try to "rehab" the tarnished name.

I'm not a Callaway or Chromesoft fan so I don't care...

The 2020 product cycle (2years) is approaching its end and under normal circumstances they would be readying production for the next generation given that the season is coming to an end for around half of the country. The difference this time is less existing inventory due supply chain challenges and increased demand brought on by the pandemic (they usually have enough inventory to cover the production transition). 

As for the potential rebrand, while the Chrome Soft branding has by far been the most successful in Callaway’s history, the bad press over the past couple of years likely been more detrimental to the branding than people realize. Ultimately they wouldn’t be considering a rebrand if sales performance was exceeding expectations. 

Basically when I hear "Chrome Soft" I only think of the image of one cut in half with the off centered core piece, and with all the other great ball options out there that means finding one on the course = going in the "hit on the range later" bag. It wouldn't take that feeling spreading very far for them to want to get out from under the Chrome Soft name and move on to the next thing, especially with someone like Rahm on their team that can immediately add some high profile legitimacy to whatever comes next, 

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

47 minutes ago, Middler said:

I have no proof that it's even true, but the post below (from that thread) was what I was going to guess. They're recent ads stating they've dramatically improved quality and "right ball for everyone" seemed desperate and not credible anyway.

That and the fact Callaway, like many retailers, likes to promote "new and improved" and you can't do that without appearing to make significant changes. It's much easier to erase a bad image if you kill the associated name, than to try to "rehab" the tarnished name.

I'm not a Callaway or Chromesoft fan so I don't care...

Tell me you didn't read the MGS 2021 Golf Ball Review without telling me that you didn't read the MGS 2021 Golf Ball Review.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Tell me you didn't read the MGS 2021 Golf Ball Review without telling me that you didn't read the MGS 2021 Golf Ball Review.

Of course I read it, no idea what you're getting at...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Of course I read it, no idea what you're getting at...

He's referring to this 

"Basically when I hear "Chrome Soft" I only think of the image of one cut in half with the off centered core piece, and with all the other great ball options out there that means finding one on the course = going in the "hit on the range later" bag. It wouldn't take that feeling spreading very far for them to want to get out from under the Chrome Soft name and move on to the next thing, especially with someone like Rahm on their team that can immediately add some high profile legitimacy to whatever comes next," 

Which of course was something you quoted from another posts.    

Driver:  Ping 425LST 9*  (Aldila Rouge White 130) 

3 Wood: Sub70 Pro (13) (HZRDS Black 60)

3U: Sub70 (19.5) (True Temper Project X U) 

Irons: Sub70 699 Pro (5-Gap) (Dynamic Gold S300)

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54 and 58 (10S)  (Project X)

Putter: Some old green Nike Blade

The actual post starts with this quote

"The entire Chrome softs line is no longer being produced. What is made is a made and when gone it’s gone for good. there is a new ball coming out next year. It will be different. The are swapping production now to hopefully avoid delays in February."

Claims he is in the know.....

Golf is cool

I was talking with a friend Sunday that was going to buy some Chromesoft Xouts for $25 on Amazon and for the first time since he started buying them in March they were not available directly through Amazon. I did think this was a bit strange, but could be completely unrelated.

23 hours ago, Tsecor said:

The actual post starts with this quote

"The entire Chrome softs line is no longer being produced. What is made is a made and when gone it’s gone for good. there is a new ball coming out next year. It will be different. The are swapping production now to hopefully avoid delays in February."

Claims he is in the know.....

The 2 year cycle is nearly complete for this generation so they would be making this move around this time anyways to ready production for the new release next spring. The big differences this time are the current inventory shortages due to supply chain issues and unprecedented demand brought on by the pandemic. That particular WRX OP only states that current model production is ending in favor of the next rollout, the branding change is simply speculation (that OP later posted that his source who I would guess is a sales rep may be misinformed about the new replacement being “different”). 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I'll check this out.  I have a friend who works there.

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I think Callaway has way too much invested in the Chrome Soft branding to go in a completely different direction.  My guess is they are probably just running low on the raw materials like mentioned in the last NPG and are therefore choosing now to make the turnover for the next revision of the ball.  

People need to remember that while the chrome soft find it cut it debacle was a pretty big deal on this forum, almost no one else knows anything about it.  Very very few golfers are interested in participating and engaging in a forum dedicated to golf so we represent a very small percentage of the market out there so the overall damage to their brand and chrome soft in particular was not that significant.  I can't find the reference right now, but I thought I had read somewhere that Callaway has increased their market share in the ball market each of the last 3 years so most people either don't know or don't care...

11 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I think Callaway has way too much invested in the Chrome Soft branding to go in a completely different direction.  My guess is they are probably just running low on the raw materials like mentioned in the last NPG and are therefore choosing now to make the turnover for the next revision of the ball.  

My initial thought as well.  Based on the number of CS balls I find on courses, they seem to have quite a following.  We've already heard them say they've maxed out production for this year, and that is largely, if not completely, based on certain material availability.  Me thinks the Golf WRX jabber is fake news and someone is reaching... a long way.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)