TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Gapping Advice

sgold7

My wedges are at the point where it's time to start thinking about new ones so I wanted to pick everyone's brain to get some advice on whether or not what I'm thinking makes some sense. I also have some more technical questions which I'll save for the bottom. With that said, here's my current set up:

60* - Mizuno S18, 10* bounce; At this point I really only use this club around the green. I don't chip with it often outside of special situations, I don't use it from the bunker and I don't hit full swings. My home course has a lot of elevated greens and they are fast. So if you miss them, you are usually trying to plop the ball up in the air as vertically as possible with landing spots 3-10 feet away. 

55* - S18, 9* bounce (this and the 60* D5 swing weight); Bunkers, finesse game (30-100 yards), full swings. It's my most versatile club. 120-125 carry. 

50* - My gap wedge is the shortest of my actual irons. It's my main chipping club, I use it a little bit in the finesse game, and I use it for full swings. 140-145 carry. 

45* - My PW is is my chipping club from longer distance, I use it less than my GW in the finesse game. 160-165 carry. 

I was thinking of eliminating my 2I in favor of adding another wedge. My general thought process would be to go for a 60*, 56*, and a 52* while bending my 50* one-to-two degrees stronger to about 48, and bending my 45* one degree stronger so I'm a 4-degree gap 60-degree through 40-degree. 

As far as the bounce goes, I feel like my 60* should be lower bounce? What is everyone's thought as to the bounces for each of the new wedges? From a general point of view, I'm more of a digger than a sweeper so that should favor larger bounces? But with the 60*, If I don't hit that full too often, I feel like a lower bounce would be able to allow me to hit higher trajectory shots in close to the green? 

I mentioned the swing weight because I feel like I might benefit from a bit heavier club? If the majority of my wedge-shots are less than full swing, wouldn't the heaviness of the head give me a bit more 'feel' as to my tempo and backswing? 

Lastly, the questions I was referring to in the open deal with the different grinds. I'd be lying if I said I know too much about grinds. Ultimately, my goal with this post is to get a bit more knowledgeable regarding being a wedge-buyer. Any advice or follow up questions would be greatly appreciated! 

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

• 3 weeks later...

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115