Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ryder Cup or a major

What would give you more satisfaction a a pro golfer. Be a part of a winning Ryder Cup team or win a major? I love team sports but love the challenge and fulfillment of winning as an individual. 

When I watch the Ryder Cup and the sheer emotions of a winning team, Id have to go with a Ryder Cup team followed by winning the Masters.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

15 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

What would give you more satisfaction a a pro golfer. Be a part of a winning Ryder Cup team or win a major? I love team sports but love the challenge and fulfillment of winning as an individual. 

When I watch the Ryder Cup and the sheer emotions of a winning team, Id have to go with a Ryder Cup team followed by winning the Masters.  

During the Ryder Cup we saw the emotions that the individuals showed;  Rory immediately comes to mind.  For me I would say winning a major over the Ryder Cup/team event.   Winning a team event has a special place,  but you can win a team even and not contribute anything to the win.  Winning a major requires that you perform better than everyone else.    The Ryder cup is an interesting event in that the players qualify over a period of time but when the event occurs it may not be the best possible team that is competing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

During the Ryder Cup we saw the emotions that the individuals showed;  Rory immediately comes to mind.  For me I would say winning a major over the Ryder Cup/team event.   Winning a team event has a special place,  but you can win a team even and not contribute anything to the win.  Winning a major requires that you perform better than everyone else.    The Ryder cup is an interesting event in that the players qualify over a period of time but when the event occurs it may not be the best possible team that is competing.  

+1, exactly. Whenever there's a discussion or ranking of players, individual wins are all that's ever discussed - most majors, most wins, etc. Team golf, which is match play, is a different dimension altogether.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Major but I think each would be their own special experience. I think the idea of winning the Masters or another major would be a far more special event as an individual over a team event. The team event would be very special but it's almost more of a confirmation about your success on your own and potentially during majors. I will say that the Ryder Cup is probably the most fun but I would have a tough time believing it to be the most satisfying.

I'd probably rather win a major as I always think of golf as an individual sport which is one of the things that makes it different from nearly every other major sport which are all team events.  The Ryder cup would be fun to participate in and great to win, but if I only got to do one or the other then I'd rather have the individual accomplishment for golf.

Definitely a Major especially what comes with it (cash, exceptions, tour status etc..). But I think I'd have much more FUN at a Ryder cup. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

Guess I'm in the minority here, but I say Ryder cup.  I come from a lot of team based sport back ground and even the individual sport I did (Wrestling) had a strong team component in duals and tournament scores.  The only individual sport that I did competitively without a team component was sport bike racing.  It was fun to do well, but I always prefer winning with team mates and it may not be popular opinion but I'd actually like to see a little more 4 ball match play or individual match play format tournaments (no alternating shot though) it reminds me too much of the scrambles that people always cheat in.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

On 9/27/2021 at 6:33 PM, pulledabill said:

Its a major for me simply because the Ryder Cup is a team even vs a major being something that you do all on your own.  Win a Ryder Cup and its just another Ryder Cup team, win a major and your name goes down in history and you live forever in the history of golf.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

5 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Agree with the desire for more match play. It's the most exciting form of golf. But TV doesn't like the possibility of all the big names getting knocked off early. 

Another argument for majors is that they are really the ONLY thing that matters when it comes to being an immortal. Case in point.. Tom Kite... One of, if not the, top player in the world for most of a decade and the top career money earner in the pre tiger era, and most younger fans have never heard of him. Tournament wins don't matter when it comes to immortality, and neither does performance in team events (again, how many younger fans could even identify Colin Montgomery). Only one thing matters... Majors. It's why no player should even be considered for player of the year of they didn't win a major that year. 

Totally understand that, but I think a lot of the view on immortality comes from where you are in the world.  There was quite a bit of talk during the tournament about the difference in view of Ryder cup record in Europe vs. here.   Particularly in regards to why Europe has been so dominant.  One of the things mentioned several times was that a players Ryder cup record has outsized role in Euro's views of peoples careers vs. here.   I'm not saying that they don't value the majors like we do, but they seem to consider other factors in regards to 'immortality' in Europe.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Major for me, purely because golf is normally 'you against the course' so it would be a victory over the course as well as other competitors.

With the Ryder Cup you're relying on your team mates to help you win as you can only contribute a small portion to the final result.

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

+1 major for the reasons stated above.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm going to go Ryder Cup especially if you have the same situation as JT and Spieth, I mean how cool would it be to grow up together and win the Ryder Cup with a childhood friend. I also get chills whenever I hear those USA chants so I think itd be top notch to represent your country.

It would be a Major for me..

The Masters

The Open

Ryder Cup

US Open

and then the rest are interchangeable

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'll take the major 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

majors pay better. show me the money. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour