TESTERS WANTED! ×

steel fiber shafts

10 minutes ago, Mrf@0000843 said:

was thinking of replacing my steel shafted irons to steel fiber  shafts for senior flex. For my taylormade m2 irons. Has anyone used these shafts and their thoughts. thanks..

I think if you do some forum searches you will find multiple people’s opinions.  As with anything some people think they are great while others don’t like them.    Flex is only one consideration as the product has multiple weight classes and profiles.  Many people believe they play a bit stiffer than the indicated flex.  Use the search feature and you should be able to find some information, but you should really try the shafts to see how they work for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One thing worth checking out is the cost of upgrading a new set of irons with the steel fibers.  By the time you pay retail for the shafts and then someone to pull your old shafts and install the new ones plus new grips, etc you might be surprised at the total cost compared to just getting a new set of irons and paying the upcharge to get steel fibers from the manufacturer.

5 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

One thing worth checking out is the cost of upgrading a new set of irons with the steel fibers.  By the time you pay retail for the shafts and then someone to pull your old shafts and install the new ones plus new grips, etc you might be surprised at the total cost compared to just getting a new set of irons and paying the upcharge to get steel fibers from the manufacturer.

This is true. Unless you build them yourself or have a friend, reshafting can get spendy. Luckily for me, I can do my own club builds, so I can do all sorts of experiments. Got a new build drying in the garage right now lol (just a single club reshaft). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I just had my Project X 6.0s replaced with Steelfiber i95s in stiff flex.  I looked into it largely out of concern for my joints, but I did end up seeing a performance benefit...I've picked up more spin and half a club across the set.

You've already gotten good advice here...not the most cost effective way to go, I was just in a position to get the shafts on a deal but couldn't make new irons work.  And above all, get fit get fit get fit.  They do play a little stiff to flex for one, and there are other options out there in this space...I continue to hear lots of good things about Mitsubishi MMTs, and Recoils are always an option.  

Flex being one fitting concern, swing weight is the factor you really have to pay attention to.  You can't just swap the shaft and go.  In my case, I have gamed a mid-size Golf Pride MMC grip for years, but with a grip that heavy and a shaft that light the swing weights were waaay too light.  I had to switch to a Dri-Tac Lite to get me back to the swing weight I need to be in.

In short, I LOVE my Steelfiber's, but they're not for everybody and you need a good fitter to make them work for you.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Others touched on the cost as well as finding the right weight and series.

The i series for pretty much every golfer I know play stiffer to flex. Those who play them go down both in weight class and flex. As an example brand Snedeker plays i95s where he was in x flex and 120+ in his order shafts. For many they feel harsh as well.

I don’t have any experience with the fc series.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There are a lot of other good graphite options out there. Mostly on the forums, folks talk about MMT, Steelfiber, and Recoils. There are also Accra, LAGP, Graphite Design, etc. in iron shafts. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 9/28/2021 at 12:30 PM, Mrf@0000843 said:

was thinking of replacing my steel shafted irons to steel fiber  shafts for senior flex. For my taylormade m2 irons. Has anyone used these shafts and their thoughts. thanks..

I recently tested SF's against Recoil, Accra, MCA, KBS, and Oban, and found them to be the stiffest and having the least "feel" to them.  But, as is with all of these options, ymmv.  Also, unless you've tested these on a similar style head, my advice is to do so before committing to them.  I was REALLY surprised by the differences between shafts both in feel and LM performance (my first switch from steel).  Lastly, @ChitownM2and @dlow206are correct that you may be better off price wise ordering new clubs with these or whichever other composite shaft you decide on.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

• 2 months later...

I recently changed my irons from TM RocketBladez w/ NS Pro 950gh stiff shafts to TM P790s with Aerotech Steelfiber 95is.   I ended up going with regular flex.  My driver swing speed is 101-102mph and I play stiff in all other clubs. The main reason in going to Steelfiber was to help with tendinitis in my right elbow.   I'm very happy with the purchase/switch.   I have tighter dispersion than before with each of the irons.  (based on 100s of SkyTrack shots).    Since NS Pro95gh and i95 are the same weight, the transition for me may have been easier than someone coming from heavier steel shafts.  Of course, there is heavier steelfiber options you can switched to instead. 

Carry distances and launch angles are similar but spin was much less.  This may have more to do with P790s than the shafts as P790s are known to be low spinning.

Now let's talk about the differences.  

- Better shock absorption off the mat.  I hit a lot of balls on the CCE mat at home.  Descending irons blows on the mat gives me a mini jolt in the elbow .  With Steelfiber, the shock is still there but much more muted.  Being afraid of the shock was starting to effect my swing. (shallowing it out).  I'm glad I made the change for this reason alone.  Even though the shock is much less of an issue on grass, but some of us don't have options to practice on real grass.   

- Muted feel.  What I by this is that it took me a little while to be certain what part of the club head I hit the ball.  Flushed shot vs toe shot vs heel shot, etc.   You can definitely tell, it just feel different than steel.

- No Glare

Are you considering move to Steelfiber for join/tendon pain?  If so, I recommend it.  I can't tell you if graphite shafts w/o steel fiber provides even more relief, but I felt tour proven steelfiber was a good choice for me.   You should definitely try to hit different flexes before you commit.  I didn't find stiff flex unplayable, but I found that I could still really go after it with the regular flex without effecting dispersion, so I went with regular.  Others have said in the forum that steelfibers plays stiff.  I think that makes sense based on the fact that regular flex is working great for me.   

pakman92

Edited by pakman92
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro