RookieBlue7

When picking a new driver, what makes you decide what to try?

Our Sponsors

I'm willing to bet most fitters only care about selling you a club. That's one great thing about the adjustable drivers from a shop perspective, they're easy to tune quickly and therefore sell quickly. I've done a "fitting" at Dick's a few years ago when buying my first driver and this was my experience at least. Since then, I've found a few places in my area (GolfTEC, Ace of Clubs) that do real fittings, but they're not cheap.

We know of Frank Viola (Ace of Clubs) by reputation. If you're close enough to get a fitting at his studio, you should probably take advantage.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I've had two driver fittings. One was solicited via email, "come in for a free fitting", so that was certainly an effort to sell a club. The other was by appointment with a $50 fee, and the $50 could be applied to any purchase (basically purchasing a $50 gift certificate and getting a free driver fitting). After that "paid" fitting, the fitter basically told me my existing driver was as good as any he could sell me. At least he was honest. I'm a low single digit handicap with a consistent swing, so I get similar results regardless of the club I'm trying.

My concerns were mostly related to the fitting process I received. Both were inside hitting balls into a net, with results recorded on the computer. With no visual feedback on ball flight (other than on the computer screen) I was never confident that I was making good swings. Based on these experiences, I'll never have another fitting unless it is outdoors where I can see ball flight in real conditions. I've also demoed drivers in the simulator only to find that the shaft didn't perform as expected once I put it in play.

I would need the following before I would try to be fit again: fitting would have to be outside... I would have to know the fitter was fully qualified and experienced... and I would want to know details of how the fitting process would be performed. I know of some places that probably meet these requirements, but they are not local and they come at a higher price. I wish there was an easier way. If anyone knows of an easier way to find the right shaft and driver, I would be happy to hear it. Fortunately I like the driver I'm using.

I normally just browse the used rack and Golf Galaxy and make a selection from there. One of the best drivers I have ever owned was a Cally FT-5 with a VS Proto 70x that I got for $25. When that cracked Callaway sent me an FT-9 with the Fuji ZCOM 65x for zilch. I have two square Nike drivers (both as gifts) that I play quite often and a few older Ping G2s that I picked up over the years. I will pretty much try anything if it fits my eye at that point in time.

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

I think for gearheads like us, it's tough to be satisfied with a fitting of "either the 9.5 stiff or the 10.5 regular" when we see so much cool stuff out there.

A couple of things..

There are LOTS of players out there that Actually fit into the stock offerings that come off of the rack. I see players every day that hurt their performance by getting a "tour" shaft or head, because that is the cool thing to do. I fit somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 players a year for drivers, and roughly the same number for irons. If I had to guess, I'd say that about 70% of the players that I get in my store get the best results from stock shafts, and at least 20% of that group chooses a non-stock shaft.

As far as fitting goes, if you do not trust your fitter, then you are wasting BOTH of your time. If you are paying for a fitting, I would treat it like I would treat a new golf instructor. Get to know the person and their qualifications before you invest in the fitting. If the fitting is free, and you feel like it is a waste of time, then IT IS!!! You will not have ANY FAITH in what the fitter is going to recommend to you. Save your time.

To the OP...

When I pick a driver out, I like to test all of the new stuff that is available, and if there is something that outperforms my current gamer, I pull the trigger.

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

A couple of things..

There are LOTS of players out there that Actually fit into the stock offerings that come off of the rack. I see players every day that hurt their performance by getting a "tour" shaft or head, because that is the cool thing to do. I fit somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 players a year for drivers, and roughly the same number for irons. If I had to guess, I'd say that about 70% of the players that I get in my store get the best results from stock shafts, and at least 20% of that group chooses a non-stock shaft.

You'd know better, but I suspect that with the huge surge in the popularity of after-market shafts, and all the talk about lowering spin, what's been lost by the average golfer is the awareness that the stock shaft was chosen by the OEM because it's designed to fit the majority of golfers. I guess nobody likes hearing he's average. I've always suspected (without proof or confirmation from a reputable fitter) that I'm a poor fit for most stock driver shafts (very fast transition, too much spin), but I could be wrong. That said, I've been fit for irons 3 times now, and each time I've come back standard for length and lie. Even that was disappointing. Who wants to be standard?

As far as fitting goes, if you do not trust your fitter, then you are wasting BOTH of your time. If you are paying for a fitting, I would treat it like I would treat a new golf instructor. Get to know the person and their qualifications before you invest in the fitting. If the fitting is free, and you feel like it is a waste of time, then IT IS!!! You will not have ANY FAITH in what the fitter is going to recommend to you. Save your time.

Another outstanding point, and one I tried to make when I wrote those Miura fitting articles. What's the goal? Do I want to play the best golf my equipment allows me to, or do I want the clubs that I want, even if they're not ideal? I'm guessing it's happened enough that you're over it, but how long did it take before it stopped bothering you when people ignored your recommendations in favor of their own ideas? At worse a slap in the face, at best giant waste of your time, I would think.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

You'd know better, but I suspect that with the huge surge in the popularity of after-market shafts, and all the talk about lowering spin, what's been lost by the average golfer is the awareness that the stock shaft was chosen by the OEM because it's designed to fit the majority of golfers. I guess nobody likes hearing he's average. I've always suspected (without proof or confirmation from a reputable fitter) that I'm a poor fit for most stock driver shafts (very fast transition, too much spin), but I could be wrong. That said, I've been fit for irons 3 times now, and each time I've come back standard for length and lie. Even that was disappointing. Who wants to be standard?

Another outstanding point, and one I tried to make when I wrote those Miura fitting articles. What's the goal? Do I want to play the best golf my equipment allows me to, or do I want the clubs that I want, even if they're not ideal? I'm guessing it's happened enough that you're over it, but how long did it take before it stopped bothering you when people ignored your recommendations in favor of their own ideas? At worse a slap in the face, at best giant waste of your time, I would think.

In my experience, most players that are involved in online discussion groups are atypical when it comes to shaft fitting. B)

As far as how long it took for me to stop being affected by customers ignoring my recommendations... It took me a really long time, until I finally realized that some people want to play what they want to play, and what I think really doesn't matter to them. I have learned to recognize this customer fairly early in the process, and adjust accordingly.

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

In my experience, most players that are involved in online discussion groups are atypical when it comes to shaft fitting. B)

I just peed myself...just a little.

I just peed myself...just a little.

:D