Have Modern Iron Lofts Put FIVE Wedges In Your Bag?

BostonSal

It seems that if I wanted to use a classic 52-56-60 matched wedge set,

I'd need, with many of the newer iron sets,  both the matching PW and  GW to get to it.

Not a problem for me, but longer players need more longer clubs above the 5-iron than I do.   

Do you go with five wedges,

gap your wedges wider,

or adopt another solution?

What's the current trend?

• Like 1

You basically need 2 gap wedges with modern irons lofts.  Thats one of the many reasons why I reject modern iron lofts and instead play older irons.  Especially if you are playing expensive wedges like Vokeys, you are basically looking at spending $500+ just on wedges.  To me, thats just crazy.

• Like 1

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

It really doesn't matter what the lofts or number on any club is.   Hit your longest and shortest club.  Usually driver and a sand/lob wedge.   Then fit clubs in between that have about a 15 yard gap.  

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

You basically need 2 gap wedges with modern irons lofts.  Thats one of the many reasons why I reject modern iron lofts and instead play older irons.  Especially if you are playing expensive wedges like Vokeys, you are basically looking at spending $500+ just on wedges.  To me, thats just crazy.

Wedge is cheaper than a hybrid or fairway. Two wedges are cheaper than fairways and some hybrids

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, BostonSal said:

It seems that if I wanted to use a classic 52-56-60 matched wedge set,

I'd need, with many of the newer iron sets,  both the matching PW and  GW to get to it.

Not a problem for me, but longer players need more longer clubs above the 5-iron than I do.   

Do you go with five wedges,

gap your wedges wider,

or adopt another solution?

What's the current trend?

I was about to insert a 5th wedge between my 56 and the gw (48*) that came with my new clubs. I have always avoided full swings with wedges, and there was quite a gap between these two clubs. While looking for a wedge to fill the gap, I experimented with a full swing with the 56. Lo and behold, that swing with that wedge filled the gap perfectly, and I'm actually hitting it very accurately. I'd always hit only 1/2 and 3/4 swings with clubs shorter than pw, but this one certainly works. Live and learn. 

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

It really doesn't matter what the lofts or number on any club is.   Hit your longest and shortest club.  Usually driver and a sand/lob wedge.   Then fit clubs in between that have about a 15 yard gap.  

That's the most popular, and for most people, probably the most logical way to configure a set--- but not the only way.

I choose every club that I want for specific shots, and then, with whatever number of slots are left, I fill in as best I can.

I'm going to include clubs that I particularly like whether they fit into a linear distance progression or not.  I'm not recommending it, but that's what I like to do.

But we're not talking about lofts and numbers, per se.   Wedges don't often have numbers other than their lofts or a letter designation.  

We're talking about if your nine iron is less that forty degrees, how many wedges do you need?

Just a curiosity thing, because if you buy irons in "sets" like many people do, you may need both the matching PW and GW PLUS three add-on wedges.

Custom ordered clubs can be bought one at a time, of course.

If one simply assumes linear loft progression or linear distance progression, then yes, how many wedges you bag doesn't matter, of course.  I was merely curious as to how many clubs people are bagging that are designated as wedges.

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 1

5 wedges?  Well, yes and no.  My club that is stamped with PW is a 9 iron 20 years ago, or an 8 iron 60 years ago.  I then have a 48 degree gap wedge, or PW 20 years ago, then a 54 degree sand wedge and then a 58 degree sand/lob wedge and then a 62 degree lob wedge.  60 years ago, I would have had 42, 46, 50 and 55 degree clubs; or even 44, 48 and 52 degree clubs plus the sand wedge.  The 2 lob wedges are just my own craziness.  If you want to play traditional lofts, just forget the number on the club and build a set that stops at 55 or 56 degrees.  People go nuts about strengthened lofts, but if you think of your 7 iron as a 5 iron, then it's not a problem.

• Like 3

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

10 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

5 wedges?  Well, yes and no.  My club that is stamped with PW is a 9 iron 20 years ago, or an 8 iron 60 years ago.  I then have a 48 degree gap wedge, or PW 20 years ago, then a 54 degree sand wedge and then a 58 degree sand/lob wedge and then a 62 degree lob wedge.  60 years ago, I would have had 42, 46, 50 and 55 degree clubs; or even 44, 48 and 52 degree clubs plus the sand wedge.  The 2 lob wedges are just my own craziness.  If you want to play traditional lofts, just forget the number on the club and build a set that stops at 55 or 56 degrees.  People go nuts about strengthened lofts, but if you think of your 7 iron as a 5 iron, then it's not a problem.

That's basically true, Hook, but forgetting the number stamping, the length / loft correlation is also changed.

I figured out how to set up my bottom end.

The Titleist T100 9-iron is 42° and the PW is 46°

The Titleist T100S gap wedge is 48°.

If you choose the T100S gap wedge INSTEAD of the T100 pitching wedge when you order,

you can go with just three wedges with 6° gaps from 9-iron to lob wedge. [ 42, 48, 54, 60°] 

That's how I did it to make room for a tee-shot-only driving iron.

Edited by BostonSal

27 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

That's the most popular, and for most people, probably the most logical way to configure a set--- but not the only way.

I choose every club that I want for specific shots, and then, with whatever number of slots are left, I fill in as best I can.

I'm going to include clubs that I particularly like whether they fit into a linear distance progression or not.  I'm not recommending it, but that's what I like to do.

But we're not talking about lofts and numbers, per se.   Wedges don't often have numbers other than their lofts or a letter designation.  

We're talking about if your nine iron is less that forty degrees, how many wedges do you need?

Just a curiosity thing, because if you buy irons in "sets" like many people do, you may need both the matching PW and GW PLUS three add-on wedges.

Custom ordered clubs can be bought one at a time, of course.

If one simply assumes linear loft progression or linear distance progression, then yes, how many wedges you bag doesn't matter, of course.  I was merely curious as to how many clubs people are bagging that are designated as wedges.

While you say it is the most popular, I would say it isn’t what most people do as they just buy a set of clubs.   I know people that build sets like you described; they typically play one or two courses and build the set to play the shots they need.  That approach could potentially leave distance gaps or a clubs that is not frequently used because it is so specialized; such as a club used only for flop,shots. Not wrong just one way to approach building a set.  

Currently Most manufacturers sets are simply a specific number of clubs and not a something that starts at a particular number.    Really not different than “traditional” lofts where it stated at a 3 iron and players added a 2 or 1 iron as add-ons.  

in my current setup I have a PW, GW, SW, and a LW.  I could drop the LW and play just the SW.   So even with “modern” lofts I could effectively play 3 wedges.  Back when I started in the late 70s I had a PW and SW.  I could potentially build a set of clubs that is hybrids and 7 wedges with no “irons” but why does the number odiferous wedges really matter?  If anything, it is better in the current marketplace because wedges have different grinds and bounces that make then more effective unless the player chooses to take a grinder to their traditional lofted set.  

we continually get into discussions about club lofts and at the end of the day what does it matter?  Pick the clubs that let you play golf the way you want. 

• Like 3

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hi Nifty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 60D

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

While you say it is the most popular, I would say it isn’t what most people do as they just buy a set of clubs.   I know people that build sets like you described; they typically play one or two courses and build the set to play the shots they need.  That approach could potentially leave distance gaps or a clubs that is not frequently used because it is so specialized; such as a club used only for flop,shots. Not wrong just one way to approach building a set.  

Currently Most manufacturers sets are simply a specific number of clubs and not a something that starts at a particular number.    Really not different than “traditional” lofts where it stated at a 3 iron and players added a 2 or 1 iron as add-ons.  

in my current setup I have a PW, GW, SW, and a LW.  I could drop the LW and play just the SW.   So even with “modern” lofts I could effectively play 3 wedges.  Back when I started in the late 70s I had a PW and SW.  I could potentially build a set of clubs that is hybrids and 7 wedges with no “irons” but why does the number odiferous wedges really matter?  If anything, it is better in the current marketplace because wedges have different grinds and bounces that make then more effective unless the player chooses to take a grinder to their traditional lofted set.  

we continually get into discussions about club lofts and at the end of the day what does it matter?  Pick the clubs that let you play golf the way you want. 

csnil makes an excellent point about set composition.

I do play almost all of my rounds on the same track and club accordingly.

I wasn't making any comments on modern lofts, but was merely curious about how many wedges people tend to play with the modern lofts.

I got the T200 from Titleist, for a MGS review.  Those have strong lofts, but came with two wedges in the set, 43 and 48 degrees.  These took the place of my previous PW and 9-iron.  My irons now stop at 5-iron, rather than 4 previously.  I have the same number of irons (including 3 "specialty" wedges and 2 wedges in the set) as I did before, its just that 5 of them are now labelled as "wedge".  I really don't care.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just wait until you have 9 wedges and few or no irons with stamped numbers. If the current trend continues that's what you'll find offered. 2 and 3 irons have all but disappeared but you can still buy irons with similar lofts - that's nonsense. Manufacturers, driven by naive customers, have rendered the numbers stamped on the bottom of irons almost meaningless. There was no reason they couldn't have kept the iron # vs loft correlation as it was, but that's been debated endlessly here already.

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

10 minutes ago, Middler said:

Just wait until you have 9 wedges and few or no irons with stamped numbers. If the current trend continues that's what you'll find offered. 2 and 3 irons have all but disappeared but you can still buy irons with similar lofts. Manufacturers, driven by naive customers, have rendered the numbers stamped on the bottom of irons almost meaningless. There was no reason they couldn't have kept the iron # vs loft correlation as it was, but that's been debated endlessly here already.

I've got no argument for that at all, but it sets some people off when it's brought up.

4 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I've got no argument for that at all, but it sets some people off when it's brought up.

I does and all for something that doesn’t really matter.  Whenever club lofts are talked  about; and this thread is about club lofts,  there is a divide.  That is generally why the threads get closed and people get warnings about what they post.  Even what people call “traditional” lofts are stronger lofted than the clubs that proceeded them.  I will be a never ending debate and in my opinion any thread that goes down the loft debate should be closed.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Nailed it. Outside of some avid golfers there are not at the driving range I go to or have been randomly paired with or even in the long time group of former coworkers I play with that have setup their bag using something other than buying a full set of irons. Using a 5 hybrid to replace a 5i, same for a 4 or 6. They buy 3w because that’s how it’s always been. They play same wedge lofts they did 20 years ago regardless of what their pw loft is. Most play the same course every week or rotate between a few near their house. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I does and all for something that doesn’t really matter.  Whenever club lofts are talked  about; and this thread is about club lofts,  there is a divide.  That is generally why the threads get closed and people get warnings about what they post.  Even what people call “traditional” lofts are stronger lofted than the clubs that proceeded them.  I will be a never ending debate and in my opinion any thread that goes down the loft debate should be closed.  

The strong lofts are here to stay, and only the oldest players among us remember 32º 5-irons like I do.

But the post wasn't to complain about the modern club number/loft  correlations or the modern length /loft correlations.

It was merely a curious inquiry as to how many wedges people play with the modern lofts.

Yes, Middler and I liked the weaker lofts in terms of how they affected putting together a set,

but that's not to say that I would want to impose older standards on a generation of younger players who don't care about them.

I will admit that I don't understand how little patience some pre-retirement age players have for our even bringing it up.

In any case, it's really not something to fight about or get angry about.

We'll all be dead soon, and you won't have to put up with our reminiscing!

I play with the modern lofts just like you do.  No super problem.

I have Srixon ZX565s and bought 3i to AW. Over the last 15 years I migrated to using 3 matching wedges 52,56, and 60 with a 3i-PW. With my recent irons I found it was more the the  lighter Nippon 850 shafts that was giving me 5-10 yds extra distance 5i to AW. Original my thoughts were to drop the 52 but with the extra yardage on the std set I carry PW, AW, 52, 56 and 60. The issue I have found is that the shafts seem optimised for 5i to PW. I hit my 5i => 180yds, 4i => 180 yds and 3i => 183yds. The 4i and 3i are now in the garage replace with Epic 3h and 4h. The 60' tends to get swapped out depending on course conditions with the 3h i.e fast greens and fairways usually means the 60' is in my bag and vice versa for the 3h. 

• Like 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

Yup, lofts are stronger and shafts are longer.  They just have the wrong numbers / letters on the bottom!  

------------------------------

Driver:   :srixon-small: z785 10.5 - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Fairway:srixon-small: f65 15* and 19* - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Irons:Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil 780 F4

Wedges: :taylormade-small: HiToe 50*-54*-60* stock steel shafts

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline - double-bend black steel 34"

On 9/30/2021 at 2:13 PM, BostonSal said:

Yes, Middler and I liked the weaker lofts in terms of how they affected putting together a set, but that's not to say that I would want to impose older standards on a generation of younger players who don't care about them.

I'd agree except where does it stop, when a 9 iron has a 21º loft and the rest of the irons are wedges? So far 2 and 3 irons have been all but eliminated, some iron sets start at 5 now...

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT