TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have Modern Iron Lofts Put FIVE Wedges In Your Bag?

BostonSal

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Importance is more than a preference.  

Importance is more than a preference....OK, I see that.

The issue is people being belittled because they choose to discuss a preference anyway.

The website has lots of bandwidth available.

People interesting in discussing a golf topic that may only interest a few of us SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM.

The others can simply ignore the topic. They can even put the participants on "ignore" if they wish.

What they SHOULDN'T DO, in my opinion, is belittle other people for discussing a topic that doesn't interest them.

If we discuss something that you don't think is particularly relevant, it shouldn't diminish in any way your enjoyment of the forum pages as a whole.

I ignore tons of subjects that don't interest me.

I don't belittle people for discussing things that don't interest me, however.

That's what we're really talking about, here.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

15 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Importance is more than a preference....OK, I see that.

The issue is people being belittled because they choose to discuss a preference anyway.

The website has lots of bandwidth available.

People interesting in discussing a golf topic that may only interest a few of us SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM.

The others can simply ignore the topic. They can even put the participants on "ignore" if they wish.

What they SHOULDN'T DO, in my opinion, is belittle other people for discussing a topic that doesn't interest them.

If we discuss something that you don't think is particularly relevant, it shouldn't diminish in any way your enjoyment of the forum pages as a whole.

I ignore tons of subjects that don't interest me.

I don't belittle people for discussing things that don't interest me, however.

That's what we're really talking about, here.

At least you have acknowledged that it is a preference.  Most people that discuss the current lofts of clubs talk as if it has ruined the game. 

I am no belittling anyone on this topic,  I have just been waiting for someone to say that is it simply a preference like preferring one brand over another or a particular color.    I don't have an ego about what club I pull or how far I hit it;  I just want clubs that help me get the ball into the hole faster.   But you are correct on every forum people are attacked for liking the old loft numbers.    If we go back to the title of the thread,  manufacturers have changed the number of clubs and player now are putting more clubs called wedges in their bags. 

I do ignore lots of topics,  but I like to learn about club design and the impact of design features.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

At least you have acknowledged that it is a preference.  Most people that discuss the current lofts of clubs talk as if it has ruined the game. 

I am no belittling anyone on this topic,  I have just been waiting for someone to say that is it simply a preference like preferring one brand over another or a particular color.    I don't have an ego about what club I pull or how far I hit it;  I just want clubs that help me get the ball into the hole faster.   

I do ignore lots of topics,  but I like to learn about club design and the impact of design features.  

Of course it's a preference.    It's far from ruining the game.  I play with modern clubs like everybody else.

Not particularly liking the cosmetic consideration of the number stamping is not the same as not liking the clubs. 

Some of us keep talking about it, and we're really easy to ignore if we're boring you!

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

1 hour ago, BostonSal said:

Nothing in the modern era is traditional.  Agreed.

The word traditional remains in the lexicon nonetheless, Ricky.

Your generation is no different than mine or any other.

We all act as if the history of humanity before we arrived is totally irrelevant!

People my age discuss with one another how we may have preferred something to evolve as opposed to how it did.

What's hard to understand is why anybody would find that so offensive!

Just ignore conversations that don't interest you rather than belittle them.

Otherwise, it appears that you're just spoiling for an argument.

Nobody is trying to offend you.

We're just discussing something which doesn't interest you.

You shouldn’t assume ones generation.

Im not offended by anything in this thread. I’m just laughing at the use of a word because I find it funny in the way it’s used to argue against stronger lofts and having to use more wedges or not or when the stronger lofts are going to stop. 

It’s the same reason I laugh when people talk about being traditional in their clothing choices and not like hoodies, or the various patterns or colors and prefer polos to mock turtlenecks and so on. When traditional golf clothes were button down shirts, toes, sweaters, knickers or long pants. 

To each their own, I’m just posting my opinion and reaction to a use of a word.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, BostonSal said:

The industry decided to keep the club number approximately  correlated to the tradition lengths.

They could just as easily have decided to keep the club number approximately correlated to the traditional lofts.

Unfortunately that’s not correct. The tech has changed gradually and concurrently but to separate a couple developments. Early on the industry engaged in almost pure loft jacking to increase distances and sell more clubs. That resulted in lower trajectory, lower spin and that’s not ideal for an approach shot. So they lowered CG resulting in higher launch angles, still with stronger lofts. They also made faces more lively adding more distance. So the industry basically ended up choosing to assign club numbers approximately correlated to launch angle/trajectory/descent angle - and that’s resulted in (much) longer distances for a given number iron more often than not.

If they’d kept club numbers and lofts about the same, we wouldn’t be having these discussions…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I personally don't care what's stamped on the bottom of my club other than as a way to determine which club I'm grabbing out of my bag.  It's only important to me as to how far I hit that club.  I've never been one to compare what club I'm hitting in relation to my playing partners.  When I ask distance, I don't want to hear that it's an easy 7 iron, because that doesn't tell me anything.

And yes, I have 5 wedges in my bag.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Most people claim to not care about the number stamping on the club.

That makes sense.  If you don't care, you don't care.  I'm cool with you not caring.  I would guess everybody is cool with you not caring.

One needn't get apoplectic about the few of us who would rather see different numbers stamped on the soles.

If we choose to discuss the prohibited "jacked loft" issue, we're easier enough to ignore. 

There's plenty of space on the internet for us to do it.

It shouldn't get the majority as angry as it sometimes seems to get them.

Ignore the discussion that's nonsensical to you, but let the few of us who care about it have the discussion without

incendiary comments about how annoying and foolish we are.

There's always an outside possibility that somebody somewhere may decide that there are enough of us to be accommodated with something different.

Probably not, of course, but we're entitled to try. 

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

4 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

incendiary comments about how annoying and foolish we are.

There's always an outside possibility that somebody somewhere may decide that there are enough of us to be accommodated with something different.

This will be my last post/reply/quote to you in this thread.

At no point in time did I call anyone foolish or annoying. I stated that I was laughing at the comments of people and use of the term traditional, that wasn’t only about this thread ir the people in it. It was its use in general on golf forums So let stop with putting words in my mouth. 

If you watched the video i posted from the titleist fitting and go see other comments that have been posted from @Golfspy_CG2 directly from other club manufacturers you will see that the numbers on the bottom of the clubs aren’t just some arbitrary number out on there and the chance that anyone in the r&d department of club manufacturers after a decade plus of people on the Internet complaining about jacked lofts are going to accommodate that crowd are pretty slim.

Lastly for someone who claims to have me on ignore you sure are spending a lot of time and energy quoting me or posting a reply without quoting me. As you say feel free to ignore the conversation if you don’t like what one has to say.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

This will be my last post/reply/quote to you in this thread.

At no point in time did I call anyone foolish or annoying. I stated that I was laughing at the comments of people and use of the term traditional, that wasn’t only about this thread ir the people in it. It was its use in general on golf forums So let stop with putting words in my mouth. 

If you watched the video i posted from the titleist fitting and go see other comments that have been posted from @Golfspy_CG2 directly from other club manufacturers you will see that the numbers on the bottom of the clubs aren’t just some arbitrary number out on there and the chance that anyone in the r&d department of club manufacturers after a decade plus of people on the Internet complaining about jacked lofts are going to accommodate that crowd are pretty slim.

Lastly for someone who claims to have me on ignore you sure are spending a lot of time and energy quoting me or posting a reply without quoting me. As you say feel free to ignore the conversation if you don’t like what one has to say.

I do have you on ignore but it isn't working with your posts for some reason.

Nothing personal. mind you. We don't know each other.  I'm just trying to avoid arguments.

It's just that this topic always precipitates a long, drawn out back and forth for no reason.

People who want to discuss jacked lofts can't without starting a big controversy that we're not looking to start.

We already know that we're a cult minority.  We still should be able to discuss it if we like.

It needn't piss people off the way it does.  You disagree. Ignore us.

OK, we can close this thread if the mods like.  

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

12 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Nothing personal. mind you. We don't know each other.  I'm just trying to avoid arguments.

It's just that this topic always precipitates a long, drawn out back and forth for no reason.

People who want to discuss jacked lofts can't without starting a big controversy that we're not looking to start.

We already know that we're a cult minority.  We still should be able to discuss it if we like.

The MODs will decide when to close a topic.  If people disagreeing with you bothers you so much, and it apparently does.  Perhaps you should Ignore it.  But it seems from your posts you have trouble ignoring and not commenting on the subject.   So not sure what you’re complaining about. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

26 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

You probably have him on ignore under your NiftyNiblick account and not this account 

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You probably have him on ignore under your NiftyNiblick account and not this account 

Mic Drop - *mic drop*

You win the internet today!!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

14 minutes ago, jlukes said:

MGS Hall of Fame post right here. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

Nifty Niblick is or was on WRX, Hacker's Paradise, The Sand Trap, Shot Talk, Golf Monthly, Golf Review, My Golf Spy, The Caddy Shack, and Tour Spec.  I know because I've browsed all of those forums [is it fora?]. 

Everybody knows him, and I don't think that he even plays anymore.

The administrator did find another account on this forum that I had forgotten about, and it wasn't Nifty Niblick.

I asked him to delete it.

I guess we can put each other on ignore as well if you're just looking to stir things up.

I'll see to it on my end right now.

Thanks.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

5 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The MODs will decide when to close a topic.  If people disagreeing with you bothers you so much, and it apparently does.  Perhaps you should Ignore it.  But it seems from your posts you have trouble ignoring and not commenting on the subject.   So not sure what you’re complaining about. 

OK.  We're not understanding one another. We can just drop it.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

The problem I have with modern loft progressions is the proliferation of 5* gaps at the bottom end of the iron set.  You see a great many sets now with something not unlike 30-35-40-45-50, and then a bunch of tiny gaps above that.  It may produce lovely gaps for some, but it doesn't for all.  IMHO, not for most.

And when so many modern sticks are designed with firmer steels, and more bounce than in the past, bending them to properly align with a different loft approach can be problematic.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The traditional loft comments always make me laugh. Most use it in terms of today’s irons compared when they first started playing. A 35* 7 iron is a strong lofted 7i compared to the 80s and even stronger when you compare it to the 60-70s era clubs.

Lofts have gotten stronger as technology and design have improved and keeps the ball in the right launch window. That’s all explained in the video posted earlier from the titleist master fitter.

I don't particularly agree with the launch window approach when it comes to numbering irons.  One reason for that perspective is that we are now told we need to hit the ball higher in order to account for the lower spin of the modern golf balls.  

Another is that once we got to the muscleback era, with steel shafts, there have always been lower trajectory and higher trajectory clubs.  A high trajectory player buying a high trajectory club seems counter productive.  Personally speaking, it's prevented me from playing certain sets in my collection, over the years.  Including just within the blade world.

(I just have to add that aging sucks, I'm no longer that guy, LOL)

Even Jason Day, who delofted his clubs further to hit his launch windows, has had to adjust his thinking about those launch windows in order to better hold greens (his clubs have had that loft added back).

It's just a philosophical difference, when you boil it down...

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

16 hours ago, Middler said:

Early on the industry engaged in almost pure loft jacking to increase distances and sell more clubs. That resulted in lower trajectory, lower spin and that’s not ideal for an approach shot. So they lowered CG resulting in higher launch angles, still with stronger lofts.

They say they have lowered the CG, but they really haven't.  

Apologies to all for machine gunning the thread with multiple posts within minutes of each other  

28 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I don't particularly agree with the launch window approach when it comes to numbering irons.  One reason for that perspective is that we are now told we need to hit the ball higher in order to account for the lower spin of the modern golf balls.  

Another is that once we got to the muscleback era, with steel shafts, there have always been lower trajectory and higher trajectory clubs.  A high trajectory player buying a high trajectory club seems counter productive.  Personally speaking, it's prevented me from playing certain sets in my collection, over the years.  Including just within the blade world.

(I just have to add that aging sucks, I'm no longer that guy, LOL)

Even Jason Day, who delofted his clubs further to hit his launch windows, has had to adjust his thinking about those launch windows in order to better hold greens (his clubs have had that loft added back).

It's just a philosophical difference, when you boil it down...

Yeah someone who has a high launch already doesn’t need the aid of a design that’s there to get the ball in the air.

High launch plus low spin is geared purely for distance. Look at the TM 17/1700 campaign. But in reality the spin and launch go hand in hand and need to balance each other out. Too much launch with too much spin and the ball goes nowhere. Not enough spin and launch and the ball is a line drive that knuckles and drops out of the sky.

Its where fittings come into play. Like you said a high launch golfer who happens to be a high handicap player especially an avg Joe weekend  wr who isn’t on good forums or golf related Facebook groups hears/reads/sees something that X iron model is designed for game improvement and goes to the store and buys it more than likely ends up with a set that doesn’t make them better, may make the game harder to some extent. 

On 9/29/2021 at 7:15 PM, BostonSal said:

It seems that if I wanted to use a classic 52-56-60 matched wedge set,

I'd need, with many of the newer iron sets,  both the matching PW and  GW to get to it.

Not a problem for me, but longer players need more longer clubs above the 5-iron than I do.   

Do you go with five wedges,

gap your wedges wider,

or adopt another solution?

What's the current trend?

I currently play four wedges [45* to 46* PW from my set + 50*, 54* & 58* wedges from other manufacturer(s)]. However, with the super-strong lofts that I am seeing in today’s game-improvement and “player’s distance” iron sets, I have witnessed many golfers carrying as many as 6 wedges, including the 41* to 43* PW, 45* or 46* AW, AND 50* or 51* GW from their iron sets plus up to three other wedges. I personally think that this is silly, unless the golfer REALLY feels a need to hit full shots with every one of those wedges.  Otherwise, he or she could certainly learn to hit a variety of shots with any of their wedges that has between 45* - 54* and get rid of one or two of those other wedges in favor of a hybrid or two.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 10/3/2021 at 1:09 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

. A 35* 7 iron is a strong lofted 7i compared to the 80s and even stronger when you compare it to the 60-70s era clubs.

That's absolutely true.  The point in my example was the 5º gaps.

35º 7-iron

40º 8-iron

45º 9-iron

Good for slower swing speed juniors, women, and seniors.

It's been done in the past--by Mizuno and Cobra for sure-- but those consumer markets aren't necessarily the ones spending money and understanding tech....so they don't get accommodated. 

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I once posited to a club distributor about using the high toe short iron head shape out to the 7 and 6 iron back in the early 70's. His response was why would you want to do that? I thought it would make the muscle back irons more forgiving. Now manufacturers have made that the norm, but with slightly longer shafts. My next (and last) set of irons will be a blade like multi material head that will need to be reshafted into a more flexible shaft as I get older and die. I get strange looks from people (especially course pros) when I break out my 70s or 80s clubs with wound balata balls for a 9 hole game.

Traditionally- since 1938- you have been allowed to carry 14 clubs. Since that time it has been up to the golfer to decide how to organize their bag. Manufacturers offer more choices than ever to reach that 14 number, but that hardly seems like a bad thing.

If 5 wedges suit your game do it.

Edited by itsjustagame

Posted a few times in the thread, but I haven't actually addressed the topic question...

...Likely because my clubs are weaker than many.  I'm playing a 49* PW, which I'm currently topping off with a 53* GW and 58* SW.  Earlier this season, I played quite a bit with MP37s, which have a 47* PW.  I added a 52* GW there, and the same 58* SW.

A 45* PW is as modern as I've thought about acquiring, in such a case, I would have four wedges, probably 50/55/60 above that.

47 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Posted a few times in the thread, but I haven't actually addressed the topic question...

...Likely because my clubs are weaker than many.  I'm playing a 49* PW, which I'm currently topping off with a 53* GW and 58* SW.  Earlier this season, I played quite a bit with MP37s, which have a 47* PW.  I added a 52* GW there, and the same 58* SW.

A 45* PW is as modern as I've thought about acquiring, in such a case, I would have four wedges, probably 50/55/60 above that.

I’ve played 47-44* pw for as long a AI can remember and 45/46 have been the most common for me in the last 7+ years with the numerous sets I have gamed…not quite as many @Golfspy_CG2 😀. My wedge setup has always been gw, sw, lw of varying degrees but for the most part 50,54,60(or 58 to change things up) only twice have I changed lofts and that was to change bounce more than the loft.

I don’t full swing sw or lw and even getting to the point of pw and 9i not being full power swings. The 4 wedge setup allows me to tinker at the top of the bag for some pure distance options and also for gapping purposes before my woods

I'm rocking with 4 wedges and it definitely has helped my game:

43, 48, 52 and 56 degree

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t full swing sw or lw and even getting to the point of pw and 9i not being full power swings.

It might be obvious with a 52/58 setup listed, but I also don't do full swing wedges.  And I've been doing the same as you with PW and 9 iron.

Doesn't help the "I feel old" aspect of my current game (hitting PW some 20 yards shorter than was the norm only five years ago), but oh well.  Father Time, undisputed and undefeated champion...

I guess playing my set with the 52* PW was helping me adjust to the idea...   LOL

Edited by NRJyzr

59 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It might be obvious with a 52/58 setup listed, but I also don't do full swing wedges.  And I've been doing the same as you with PW and 9 iron.

Doesn't help the "I feel old" aspect of my current game (hitting PW some 20 yards shorter than was the norm only five years ago), but oh well.  Father Time, undisputed and undefeated champion...

I guess playing my set with the 52* PW was helping me adjust to the idea...   LOL

I feel ya. Getting old sux

I approach it this way:  The clubs that came with my set are my irons.  Wedges are separate, specially designed short game clubs.  I don't really care that the two highest lofted clubs that came with my set are labeled PW and GW.  

I am currently playing 2 "real wedges."  So I go set GW, specialty SW and LW.  This set up has 5 degree loft gaps.  

I am transitioning to 4 "real wedges."  I drop the set GW and add wedges in 4 degree loft gaps.  I prefer to have tighter yardage gaps at the bottom of my bag.  I bought the wedges months ago, but haven't taken the time to get them dialed in.  Now that the main golf season is over (the course plugged greens yesterday and pulled tee markers) I'll quit worrying about shooting my best score and start working on my building my game for winter in Florida.   I'll end up with 5 clubs labeled as wedges, but the PW doesn't occupy space in my brain as a wedge, but as my highest lofted iron.