TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tour B X and other Bridgestones

Brian A

So I was lucky enough to get $200 free from Bridgestone to get balls, I’m not really familiar with their lineup. Anyone have any reactions or thoughts. 

Currently playing the older ProV1 or AVX, shot shape is high and right. I get good backspin due to my sharp attack angle. 

I read the reviews from the white box testing but just looking for anyone else input

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

28 minutes ago, Brian A said:

So I was lucky enough to get $200 free from Bridgestone to get balls, I’m not really familiar with their lineup. Anyone have any reactions or thoughts. 

Currently playing the older ProV1 or AVX, shot shape is high and right. I get good backspin due to my sharp attack angle. 

I read the reviews from the white box testing but just looking for anyone else input

Prov1 and AvX have different spin characteristics.   But I would suggest looking at the MYGolfSpy ball test and ball labs to compare the Bridgestone balls against those two as see what is comparable.  Prior to this middle of this years most wanted testing  MGS used Bridgestone balls as the ball for most wanted testing.  

https://mygolfspy.com/category/mygolfspy-labs/

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Need more info about your game and your your thoughts in the AVX and Prov1

They are quite different balls and typically those who like one of those don’t like the other.

To my knowledge bridgestone doesn’t have a ball that is going to fit the AVX profile 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If you're playing ProV1 and AVX and don't mind the drastic performance differences, I have a hunch you're going for more of the 'feel' side of things. Bridgestone would say that a 105 mph swing speed is the dividing line between the Tour B and Tour BR models with X being firmer and S being softer. I haven't done this direct head-to-head myself, but it seems like the BRX would be the closest to the AVX in that it's softer than the BX and has the least spin of all four. IMHO, at least, Bridgestone doesn't have a direct competitor to ProV1. The X is going to be firmer and the XS is going to have more spin. If you have a steep angle of attack on irons (and possibly driver? do you hit banana balls left-to-right or block-slices?) you might prefer the BRX or BX (though the BX is by no means a low-spin ball).

With $200 to spend, before cashing it all in, I'd say it's worth going to the pro shop or big box store and pick up a sleeve of each and see what you like?

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

If you're playing ProV1 and AVX and don't mind the drastic performance differences, I have a hunch you're going for more of the 'feel' side of things. Bridgestone would say that a 105 mph swing speed is the dividing line between the Tour B and Tour BR models with X being firmer and S being softer. I haven't done this direct head-to-head myself, but it seems like the BRX would be the closest to the AVX in that it's softer than the BX and has the least spin of all four. IMHO, at least, Bridgestone doesn't have a direct competitor to ProV1. The X is going to be firmer and the XS is going to have more spin. If you have a steep angle of attack on irons (and possibly driver? do you hit banana balls left-to-right or block-slices?) you might prefer the BRX or BX (though the BX is by no means a low-spin ball).

With $200 to spend, before cashing it all in, I'd say it's worth going to the pro shop or big box store and pick up a sleeve of each and see what you like?

Everything is steep angle of attack, I do have a pretty solid slice. I like the AVX the most but had a bunch of promo ProV1 from a friend so that’s why both. Strength is short game. Swing speed is right around that 105 divide. 

did Bridgestones ball fitter online and said B X 

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

23 minutes ago, Brian A said:

Buy a sleeve and see how you like them.  Based on findings you can try different balls.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Echoing what others said, AVX and V1 have some decent sized differences performance-wise and there is no direct match. However, if you are going just by the MGS ball test data, the closest in performance to the V1 is the Tour B X and closest to the AVX is the Tour B RX (mid/high ss) or Tour B RXS (slow ss) but YMMV

2 hours ago, Brian A said:

Everything is steep angle of attack, I do have a pretty solid slice. I like the AVX the most but had a bunch of promo ProV1 from a friend so that’s why both. Strength is short game. Swing speed is right around that 105 divide. 

The BX is going to be firmer than the avx and Prov1. I played BX several times this year and am a Prov1 player. I get more spin from current Prov1 than the BX also applies to the bxs. 

The online fit tool from bridgestone is a good start point. As @cnosilsaid but a sleeve and try them. If you can go to a golf store that has trial packs buy one sleeve of each model and try them all

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

What's the storyline behind the $200 bonus bucks?  Bridgestone contest? Rebate on purchases?  That's awesome!

I've played the Tour BX and the BRX. The BRX or e12 recommended by Bridgestone's on-line tool depending on which "tweener" numbers I pick.  I often get the opportunity to play two balls and have been using that to compare various balls that the MGS lab report shows to be in my swim-lane.  Sometimes I'll switch up one or both balls after 9 just to get some additional data.  Looking at my notes, I most recently played a BRX against a Srixon Q-star and a e12 against a ProV1.  Nothing jumped out as a clear winner with the BRX or e12.

If you're not under any time to use restriction, I would suggest doing what @cnosil suggests an perhaps buy a sleeve of the one the on-line fitting tool recommends and any others they show if you have some borderline shot or flight preference characteristics.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The MyGolf Spy ball test has some good info.

I'm a mid speed swinger and bought a box of Tour B X after reading the review and love them, usually Pro V1 player. 1st round out the box hit gross 73 but wasn't all the ball 😉

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I am a big fan of Bridgestone golf balls and have tried them all.  Started with e6 about 5 years ago and am now playing the XS.

My driver swing speed is about 105 and my angle of attack is pretty neutral.  For me, RX & RXS launch higher and shorter than X & XS.  I prefer the feel of XS over X due to softer feel and better impact sound.  All of them are pretty durable (unlike Pro V1 & V1x, they do not scuff too easily from solid wedge hits) and consistent.  Since everyone else already gave you the "best" advice (try them yourself), I thought that I would share my experience and preference.

The Tour XS would fit you current ball section with Pro V1. The Tour X are firmer balls.

Since you using the AVX and Pro V1 which are softer balls. You would find some familiarity with XS; Feel, softness, spin.  Bridgestone offers the RX which slow swingers should use but hey we all want to play what the Pros play. So go with the Tour XS. 

Edited by William L

On 9/30/2021 at 5:23 AM, Brian A said:

Try the BX, It's an awesome ball with, in my opinion, similar characteristics as the Titleist ProV. I love the ball but it's a tad expensive for this guy. Congrats and good luck.

I have a 98 mph driver swing speed and just switched to the Tour BX in the last couple of months after trialling it alongside the Tour BXS. I generally prefer a firmer ball as I can get the level of control / spin I like on greenside chips so I didn't consider the 2 BR models (I previously used the Inesis Tour 900). I preferred the feel of the BX on chips as the BXS felt too spinny on chips and seemed to spin up too much off the driver off the driver losing a little distance compared to the BX. Both were significantly longer than than my previous ball. After settling on the BX I've picked up 20 yards on my drives and I'm still trying to work out how much extra carry I'm getting with my irons (probably about 5 yards) but am able to hold greens better than before. I generally have quite a steep swing but low ball flight and the BX didn't seem to climb as much as the BXS. I was uncomfortable with how much the BXS climbed.  It's a good idea to review the MGS Ball Test 2021 data but, as previous posters said, get sleeves and the balls and test them yourself.  In the UK I can get BX and BXS in 'Corporate Colours' for £28.50/dozen for 2 or more units. For comparison Inesis Tour 900 were £25.00/dozen and can get Prov1's for £43.00/dozen. I'm really happy with the performance for the price. Hope this helps.

Read the 2021 golf ball report from my golf spy. It is the best. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I thought the X would be my ball average about 106 mph swing speed these days as I get older & slower- I found the XS went farther & stopped faster for me.  I sometimes spin it back 15’ & go off the green - the biggest drawback

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

I played the Brigstone Tour B RX earlier this year and my driver distance improved with a higher flight and it held greens. I switched to the AVX because I wanted a lower ball flight. I got a lower ball flight and more distance, about 7 yards, but but less spin around the greens. After getting ball fitted by Titleist I am now playing the Pro V1X. Better distance and more spin around the greens than I got with the AVX; but not as much spin as I got with the Brigstone. Hope this helps!

Went through a dozen of the BX this year, they were a pretty good X ball, and I'm not an X player.  They weren't too clicky in the short game and I got good spin.

I know the BXS is a good ball and one of the spinniest of the tour level balls. I also liked the older version of the RX, but now it feels like marshmallow. I have a 107 swing speed, so if you're a little slower it may still be good for you.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

You can go to Bridgestonegolf.com and select the "Find the right ball for your game",  you have 3 ways you can get the information.  You can answer questions, do the video fitting, or if you have your launch monitor information you can use that.  This will give you their recommendation on what ball they think best fits your game.

From what I played till now I can tell you that in my opinion ball has the same importance as the shaft or grip. Now Bridgestone is on the same level as Titleist in terms of quality and performance and on a lower price. Depends only by the player which one is suitable or not. ProV1 is very good in distance off the tee and control around the green. For me Bridgestone Tour BXS is similar but with a firm feeling off the tee and around the green. Tour BX & BRX are one off the hardest ball I've ever hit amongst the Pro V1X. There feeling are extremely firm and you should have more than 110 mph swing speed to benefits the maximum potential from these balls. Indeed Bridgestone has a higher resistance and if you don't visit bunkers to often you can play even 2 rounds with one ball. I'm not tried yet RXS but if Fred Couples played this one then this is my next on the list. Bridgestone is one of the best choices right now because of the lower price comparison with the other competitors on Premium range. But for me are ones of the firmest balls especially around the green. Very good distance off the tee, for me the longest and to keep them in play I decided to switch my wedges from Cleveland RTX to new Mizuno T22. Till they will be delivered I discovered another awesome ball Honma TW-X which are firm from tee with very good distance and soft around the green with high spin and all of this on an amazing low price. The only difference is given by the resistance on the bunkers where Honma is not so resistance to scuffs if you visit bunkers often. Otherwise I can play one round with Honma but only one. I also tried Titleist Tour Speed and I think it will be very difficult for me to decided between Bridgestone BXS and Tour Speed from Titleist. Probably I will chose Titleist cause at the same price and same distance is a little bit softer than Bridgestone.  

Morris

I highly suggest their online fittings. You submit a video of your swing and they'll fit you for a ball. I play with the B X and I really like it but will be experimenting with the Prov1 and the left dash over the winter. No complaints about Bridgestone from me though

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

On 10/3/2021 at 4:15 AM, Stephen Lee said:

I highly suggest their online fittings. You submit a video of your swing and they'll fit you for a ball. I play with the B X and I really like it but will be experimenting with the Prov1 and the left dash over the winter. No complaints about Bridgestone from me though

I also like the Bxs but this year I'm playing the Pro V1.  I had the luck of being chosen for the Titleist blind test.  The Pro V1 left dot was the straightest ball I have ever hit off the tee and long too.  The spin around the greens was awesome just like the regular Pro V1.  It feels soft too.  I would recommend it for your test if they start to produce them for regular sales.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Went with the bxs… couldn’t get out to play before I had to order, so we’ll see

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA