Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Driver shaft upgrade for mid-speed swing?

Hey folks - 

I've been debating on upgrading my driver to a later model, but have also considered just upgrading the shaft.  Looking for any thoughts or recommendations?  I'm not really in tune with the shaft tech available.  I used a PING Rapture (v1) 10.5 with the stock TFC 909D Stiff Flex shaft.  It's an old driver model, but I really like the driver - the feel, sound, appearance.  I'm just comfortable with it.  More distance never hurt anybody, but I'd rather know where it's going.  I'm anywhere from 240-270 off the tee with it.  With my swing and my spine (at 42) I can't see me getting too much more distance from say a used PING G30 or G400 - plus I don't like the sound of the G400.  SO - I was thinking maybe a shaft upgrade would be an option to try.  I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks!

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5* w/Std Mitsubishi Stiff Shaft

Cleveland 3W Launcher w/Fujikura S Flex

Cleveland 2i HiBORE XLS w/Fujikura S Flex

PING G400 4-PW Blue Dot Irons 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50* GW

Cleveland Tour Action 588 BeCu 53* SW

Cleveland Tour Action 900 56* SW

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab

Titleist ProV1

I just recently was fitted and changed my PING Alta CB (G410P driver) to KBS.  It was the best of the handful tested. My first few rounds out, I wasn't seeing the same ball flight and distance gains but it all of a sudden showed up and even a wee bit better in distance. My driver SS is 92-95 and typically a baby fade.

Good shafts aren't cheap and I would highly recommend a fitting.  You'll be able to baseline your current set-up but not likely try different shafts with it. But you can try some new (similar) heads and shaft combinations.  You may find a new driver (even last generation) with a no upcharge shaft option that isn't too expensive (particularly if you shop around on the used market).

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Forget what your swing speed is. That’s one of the smallest factors that goes into finding the right combo. 

240-270 off the tee is a pretty wide dispersion of front to back dispersion. That’s as much a swing issue and contact on the driver as it is the drivdr itself. There no guarantee that a new shaft in an older driver would fix that and may be worse because there’s no way anyone could tell you what shaft would work for you in that head. A heavy regular flex shaft or lightweight stiff could work or a heavy stiff could work but a light weight reg may also work.

Even if we knew you were a smooth swinger would maybe be a counterbalanced shaft but there’s numerous shafts in that profile.

You may or may not get more than 270 out of a newer driver but you may reduce the dispersion and keeping it more consistent. You probably find better side to side dispersion due to improved face technology that helps reduce the ill effects of missing center with better speed and spin retention.

But even then it’s a guess from anyone here. If you want to know what’s a good fit for your swing, find a fitter and see what your current numbers are with your driver and compare to new drivers. This will give you an idea of what works and give you an idea of what direction to go with new or used

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks!  I suppose a more consistent distance is a logical argument for a newer driver.  And I would agree matching a new shaft with an older driver is likely a challenge. I am just not a fan of some of the bigger 460 heads and the hollow-like pipe sound from some of the newer Pings so I may have to steer towards a different brand like Titleist or Taylormade.  I was recently at Dicks hitting a few balls into the net and tried the PING G425.  I didn't like the sight or sound and actually ended up hitting a Titleist TSi3 3w 13.5* as long according to the tracker device (~250yds).  And if felt SO much better than the G425.  

My son wants to get fitted so maybe I'll join him...  👍

Edited by FairwayToHeaven

Titleist ProV1

The Ping Rapture is a good stick but it's going to be challenging to get fit for a different shaft, let alone it be better. Typically people adjust for the shaft in their club over time and their is no doubt that you probably instinctively know how to get the most out of your current setup. Newer drivers may give you a little better performance from a forgiveness standpoint but you would need to have your current driver side by side with a new driver on a launch monitor to confirm that. 

If the idea of upgrading equipment is bothering you, I recommend getting a professional fitting or at least hitting on a launch monitor in a golf shop. Spending $50 - $100 on a fitting should tell you just how much their is to gain with newer technology. The reality is likely going to be that you're going to have to decide if gaining 0 - 15 yards is worth whatever dollar amount they throw at you and that can range from $400 - $800 just for a new driver (depending on the shaft). Then you have to decide if it's the archer or the arrow and are the differences in clubs enough to justify trying to buy a better game. For some people spending $800 on a new driver is very worth it for them personally for others, not so much. However, most people will usually find a good fit with stock shafts, so a new driver will likely range from $350 - $550 off the rack at a normal golf store. 

Best if luck and enjoy the process. 

Here is a shaft flex comparison 

As you will see it makes little difference. I have had 3 different brands and weight of shafts for my driver (Epic Flash) and to be honest I really could not tell the difference.

However the difference between my old driver head ( Fusion) and the Epic Flash is amazing. To the point that I have upgraded all my woods to Epic Flash. I have to admit that I was a skeptic with regard to the technology being marketed about these new generation drivers. However after testing Epic Flash, Cobra Speedzone and Sim 1 I was impressed. If I hit them properly there was know gain in distance but the distance loss with toe or heel hits was minimal and they feel amazing.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

That’s an old driver.  My vote is for you to just go get fitted for a brand new driver.  You don’t just need it, you deserve it!

Good luck!

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

No doubt the Rapture is old. I have only recently gotten to where I’m back playing regularly where new clubs have been worth it. I’ve always liked Ping but their latest models not so much on look, feel and sound. Seems Titleist and TM drivers of late are more in line with what I like. Actually considering the TM Mini Driver as a replacement option. 

thanks!

Titleist ProV1