TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vintage Putter Advice

To make a long story short, I've got an old set of Acushnet Titleist AC108 irons that i got 20yrs ago so a friend could play an outing. I recently dug them out of the pile in the garage and decided i was going to have some fun and do some 1v1s with my T200s. I have the 3-pw with original grips in decent shape and i just ordered the SW off ebay with an OG grip. I will likely get the 2i at some point but its not really needed for this contest.(though i guess i could put my hybrid in the bag to go up against the 2i)

But, i have no idea what putter i should get. Something from the early 70s like a Acushnet Titleist Bullseye maybe? There seems to be different models of the Bullseye so i would need one made from '72-'75/'76.

I also saw a listing for one called Acushnet Gold Boy but couldn't find any other info about when it was made.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Bulls Eyes can be tricky as to year---- On Facebook there are several putter collectors groups and there is one dedicated to Bulls Eyes

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Bulls Eyes can be tricky as to year---- On Facebook there are several putter collectors groups and there is one dedicated to Bulls Eyes

Thx. Unfortunately, I'm not a FB member anymore. That place is just to toxic and i got away from it for my mental health, lol.

I guess it doesn't have to be a Titleist putter since I'll be using my Ping with the T200s...

Any other putters worth getting from that timeframe?

Edited by brutal brutus

Ping Anser in manganese bronze dates back to the late 60s, and the original Zing to 1971 (per 2nd Swing, anyway).  Either of those would be a great choice.

You could get a Wilson 8802 or 8813, as well.  They go back a long ways.  I would think it wouldn't have to be a 70s vintage, as all the way into th e80s and even 90s, they were largely unchanged from their predecessors.

If you wanted to go older, you could get an Ironmaster.  <shrug>

Another thought, if you're a mallet putter sort of guy....  the Ram Zebra came out in 1976.  Would that meet your timeframe preferences?

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Ping Anser in manganese bronze dates back to the late 60s, and the original Zing to 1971 (per 2nd Swing, anyway).  Either of those would be a great choice.

You could get a Wilson 8802 or 8813, as well.  They go back a long ways.  I would think it wouldn't have to be a 70s vintage, as all the way into th e80s and even 90s, they were largely unchanged from their predecessors.

If you wanted to go older, you could get an Ironmaster.  <shrug>

Another thought, if you're a mallet putter sort of guy....  the Ram Zebra came out in 1976.  Would that meet your timeframe preferences?

Thanks. Those are some good options. I kind of like the Ram idea. There's a youtube channel i watch called Stacked Golf and they are always buying those when they come across them.

On 10/3/2021 at 8:34 AM, brutal brutus said:

Thx. Unfortunately, I'm not a FB member anymore. That place is just to toxic and i got away from it for my mental health, lol.

I guess it doesn't have to be a Titleist putter since I'll be using my Ping with the T200s...

Any other putters worth getting from that timeframe?

Facebook I only joined last year after I was hurt and was laid up and bored---- I was invited by one of my buds on the Classic forum at WRX--- I know a lot of folks from all over the country and and all types of life--- Ended up getting friend requests from my old racing buddies and golf buds from all over the place. I stick with those and folks I know from the 3 different Churches I have ran sound at the last 10 years-- I stick with those folks and do not get into all the political bickering etc.

On era type putters I am going to be a little biased--- I mostly played Ironmaster Macgregors  until I discovered the Ping Anser. Later on I went to a Zing 2 which I carried for 20 years. The Scotty in my signature is as rough as a night in the county jail. I found it in the scrap pile at work rusty and beat up. I had to remodify it after my accident and I did install a fluted Bulls Eye shaft and lengenthed it. I putt with it well and techinacally I call it vintage now since it is a 97 model. The old Zing will always stay because in the past it had earned me a lot of money on the Minis and big money matches. But yeah as far as I am concerned any non insert Ping is vintage. IMHO it is what sets up good for you. I do have several Bulls Eyes I found on the scrap pile at work and I have a flanged model I am quite fond of too and use it some in vintage play.

Out of all the vintage Ironmaster styles and brands my favorite was given to me---- A friend of mine owns a golf store and does a lot of bulk buys like we used to. He had an Ironmaster that looks like it was in a fire or used to stir one. One of his guys was going to scrap it and my friend told him to save it for me. He gave it to me and I cleaned it up and it putts well. LOL a couple years ago I played a vintage event four ball down the road from me. I had my reproduction Ironmaster with the green composite shaft. True it was a 80s reproduction and one of my opponents complained to a event official that it really was not in the "spirit of the rules" The official had no problem with it. On the turn I went to the car and got the fire one. I putted lights out  the back side. My partner told him he should have kept his mouth shut. Personally I am not into the era perfect correct crap. I just like to play vintage and play with others that like to do the same. Around here no one wants to play vintage so I basically do my own thing. I know some folks were trying to start playing some vintage in a league type thing but there was a lot of consertation over Ping irons and Tommy Armour  845s and then the putter rift came up like Odyssey putters etc. I refused to get involved in the arguement. That was over 3 years ago and I have not heard anything since. Some of they guys that play are from a neighboring club and their SOP Is Eye 2s and like modern R-1 drivers and those old farts can play. Our old fart men's league with their latest and greatest will not mess with them. But I love to play what I call strictly vintage and for me the only call on that is real persimmon or laminated woods no matter is they are a Macgregor or Ping laminate. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Brutus we were talking about Facebook while ago--- It is down and there are News reports on it--- Supposedly it went down around 11:30 EST--- i know I was on it around 4 AM this morning checking on the wekend's dirt track racing results. There are several reports on national and local news

G

I have a John Reuter Jr. Design Titleist Standard Flange Bulls-Eye Putter, original shaft, condition 9.5/10. I bought this new in the 70's and have held onto it for sentimental reasons. I even took it to Sawgrass 6 years ago, and putted pretty good! One of my favorite senior players, Corey Pavin, still putts with a Bulls-Eye.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

2 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

I have a John Reuter Jr. Design Titleist Standard Flange Bulls-Eye Putter, original shaft, condition 9.5/10. I bought this new in the 70's and have held onto it for sentimental reasons. I even took it to Sawgrass 6 years ago, and putted pretty good! One of my favorite senior players, Corey Pavin, still putts with a Bulls-Eye.

Yep and so did Canadian Mark McNulty but I think Mark has retired now. The one Mark had looked like it had been used as a plow point but he was effective with it. I think Corey tried a newer Odyssey putter for one event and the announcers were hamming it up over that. Next event he had the trusty Bulls Eye in play. 

G

i play9 if you can call it that- not very good , but love to play) with my dad's old spalding cash-in from 1954- true story, playing  a superball, and never using my shot- the guys said putt first so we know where not to putt- made that on which was about 25 feet, then made the next eight any where from 10 feet to 20 yards- the other guys never got out of the cart- an amazing day and it made the cash-in famous with my budsSpalding Cash-In 36" Putter Leather Grip Rh 0858654

On 10/3/2021 at 3:41 AM, brutal brutus said:

To make a long story short, I've got an old set of Acushnet Titleist AC108 irons that i got 20yrs ago so a friend could play an outing. I recently dug them out of the pile in the garage and decided i was going to have some fun and do some 1v1s with my T200s. I have the 3-pw with original grips in decent shape and i just ordered the SW off ebay with an OG grip. I will likely get the 2i at some point but its not really needed for this contest.(though i guess i could put my hybrid in the bag to go up against the 2i)

But, i have no idea what putter i should get. Something from the early 70s like a Acushnet Titleist Bullseye maybe? There seems to be different models of the Bullseye so i would need one made from '72-'75/'76.

I also saw a listing for one called Acushnet Gold Boy but couldn't find any other info about when it was made.

A Bullseye would be a good choice if you want a period correct putter.  Like some of the others have said though, dating Bullseyes can be a tricky thing to do.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

10 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

After looking at several examples, I'm guessing i want one that says "Patent Pending" for the earliest versions?

33 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

After looking at several examples, I'm guessing i want one that says "Patent Pending" for the earliest versions?

That would be my guess.

I admit I'm not a Zebra expert, in spite of my Ram Club habit...

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I've got an Acushnet Bullseye Flange, a Spalding Cash In, AND a Ram Zebra in the putter bag of my club collection.

Th Zebra, purchased for $75 in 1978, still gets played occasionally.   

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Think I'm gonna get this Patent Pending Zebra with an original grip off ebay. It's a bit marked up but the face still looks pretty decent.

Glad you recommended that NJR. I woulda never thought of it but it's really the perfect choice. Never did like the Anser style putters. The first couple years i played i used a cheap "putt-putt" style putter and i hated it. Then i got a Northwestern mallot ish putter for christmas when i was 9 or 10 and used that thing for years. It was like Mickelson's little balde(or it that a flange? I always get them confused) putter he used for years but wider.

Tried finding a pic but failed but it was simlar to this model 1700 but didn't have the line... and it was much newer lol.

s-l1600.jpg

Those types of wide body putters(I wouldn't consider that a mallot, more like a fat flange lol) just fit my eye and stroke for some reason and it didn't even have an alignment aide, just a little chevron in the middle.

I got a 2Ball knockoff at Walmart some time in my late teens and used that for a couple years... but when i saw that Craz-E for the first time in the proshop at The Vineyard, i knew that was my putter. But the Zebra is pretty similar to that NW putter i used in my teens and i think will work great.

Edited by brutal brutus

21 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

Think I'm gonna get this Patent Pending Zebra with an original grip off ebay. It's a bit marked up but the face still looks pretty decent.

Glad you recommended that NJR. I woulda never thought of it but it's really the perfect choice. Never did like the Anser style putters. The first couple years i played i used a cheap "putt-putt" style putter and i hated it. Then i got a Northwestern mallot ish putter for christmas when i was 9 or 10 and used that thing for years. It was like Mickelson's little balde(or it that a flange? I always get them confused) putter he used for years but wider.

Tried finding a pic but failed but it was simlar to this model 1700 but didn't have the line... and it was much newer lol.

s-l1600.jpg

Those types of wide body putters(I wouldn't consider that a mallot, more like a fat flange lol) just fit my eye and stroke for some reason and it didn't even have an alignment aide, just a little chevron in the middle.

I got a 2Ball knockoff at Walmart some time in my late teens and used that for a couple years... but when i saw that Craz-E for the first time in the proshop at The Vineyard, i knew that was my putter. But the Zebra is pretty similar to that NW putter i used in my teens and i think will work great.

If you like this style, another option is the Otey Crissman putters with the wood shafts. Very vintage looking - much older looking than 1970's - LOL! I bought a new one in the mid 70s and carried it for over 30 years. Mine has a head that looks very similar to the putter in your photo. I'm out of town so I can't send you a pic, but I see them for sale on ebay. 

Edit: Almost forgot. Adding to the vintage look of the Crissman is the original leather wrap grips if you can find one that is still in good shape. 

Edited by dnett

9 hours ago, katdaddyfred said:

i play9 if you can call it that- not very good , but love to play) with my dad's old spalding cash-in from 1954- true story, playing  a superball, and never using my shot- the guys said putt first so we know where not to putt- made that on which was about 25 feet, then made the next eight any where from 10 feet to 20 yards- the other guys never got out of the cart- an amazing day and it made the cash-in famous with my budsSpalding Cash-In 36" Putter Leather Grip Rh 0858654

Yep got 3 of them in my stash including a 53 with the reverse taper leather grip which for some reason the USGA ruled non conforming back then. A old hustler I knew putted with one he got around 54 or so--- Putted with it until his death in the 90s. 

G

2 hours ago, brutal brutus said:

s-l1600.jpg

The pic you posted looks like an old Kroyden and was standard in like beginner sets if one did not like the blade style putters. The Northwestern version had a bulls eye on the face

G

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

That would be my guess.

I admit I'm not a Zebra expert, in spite of my Ram Club habit...

Now I did not know this until a couple of years ago--- There are several different styles of Ram Zebra putters and not all of them are mallett style. I met this guy when I joined my current course and we got to talking equipment. He was putting with what I call a standard mallett Zebra and it was rough. I had a darn near pristine one in my stash which I picked up at you know where the scrap pile of course. I gave it to him and he could not believe I had only .05 in it. He tried to give me $25 for it I said no and told him if he wanted to give me something for it I would take the new Srixon ball he was putting with if it made him feel better. We have been friends ever since BTW I gave him back his new Srixon. But he is a Zebra fancier and he has several different model besides the well known mallett. The one he putts best with ( and you know here what I am talking about) looks Like an TP Mills Spalding #3 with the blade and flange in the back. He has about 3 or 4 different styles of Zebras all of them with the stripes and Ram Zebra on them. But then again you being "Ram Daddy" you more than likely knew this. I know LOL I can not slide much on you Ram wise. I remember the time I posted about the Ram 8802 style Gene Littler one I have and of course you had one just like it

G