TESTERS WANTED! ×

Breaking 100 tip

Going to get this out of the way first. This isn’t a discussion about playing good the “right way” whatever that means to people, or those who want to hit driver as often as possible.

This is purely based on if someone has a  goal to break 100. This I know has been discussed in thread periodically but couldn’t remember if there’s been a thread and I was too lazy to search.

Treat Par 3 as Par 4, Par 4 as Par 5, Par 5 as Par 6. You not longer have the pressure to try and get on each green in regulation related to stated par on the score card. 

Determine the longest club in your bag you can hit relative long and straight. Minimizes damage off the tee. Don’t try to hit hero shots. Since you are playing each hole as an additional stroke you can still hit the longest club in your bag that goes straight or pick clubs that give you a full swing on your approach shot.

If you make new par on every hole you shoot bogey golf according to the stated par on the score card and accomplish your goal of breaking 100. 

If you make par per the scorecard on any of the holes you break 90.

As a note for those trying to break 90 as the goal you can take the same approach but you would need to par a few holes per the scorecard. However I would also suggest spending more time working on putting and inside 100 to 125 yards as your primary practice with full swing to help keep from having blow up holes 

I’ve used this approach when I started getting more serious about playing golf and with no shirt game had scored consistently between 90-93. Started shooting upper 80s with a so so short game.

Guys I played with when I started playing we would go out with 7i as our longest club in the bag and see what we would shoot. Sometimes it was a 5i.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Don’t try to hit hero shots.

this was the biggest factor when I first broke 100 and then 90, if you can just punch out back to the fairway you have a better chance at hitting the green, also one thing I still do is aim for the middle of the green if the pin is in a tough spot 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Don’t go for shots you can’t execute 8/10 times and you should break 100. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

The best golf lesson my wife got when she started to play was to create a par (one or two strokes higher than actual par) for each hole that was consistent with her ability.  The pro called it a "Sue-par" (as her name is Sue).  That took the pressure off her trying to compete with the scorecard and gave some positive reinforcement when she got one.  As she got better they took strokes off her designated "Sue-par" scores so she could feel good about the accomplishment but also raising the bar for her to invest the energy in her game to get better.  

Golf is a game where you have to practice and play to get better at any level.  If you are constantly beating yourself up for not paring each hole (which most of us don't do anyway), why would you want to take the time and effort to get better?   By simply changing her reference point for success she enjoyed the game more, wanted to play and practice and kept her focused on getting getting better.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Going to get this out of the way first. This isn’t a discussion about playing good the “right way” whatever that means to people, or those who want to hit driver as often as possible.

This is purely based on if someone has a  goal to break 100. This I know has been discussed in thread periodically but couldn’t remember if there’s been a thread and I was too lazy to search.

Treat Par 3 as Par 4, Par 4 as Par 5, Par 5 as Par 6. You not longer have the pressure to try and get on each green in regulation related to stated par on the score card. 

Determine the longest club in your bag you can hit relative long and straight. Minimizes damage off the tee. Don’t try to hit hero shots. Since you are playing each hole as an additional stroke you can still hit the longest club in your bag that goes straight or pick clubs that give you a full swing on your approach shot.

If you make new par on every hole you shoot bogey golf according to the stated par on the score card and accomplish your goal of breaking 100. 

As a note for those trying to break 90 as the goal you can take the same approach but you would need to par a few holes per the scorecard. However I would also suggest spending more time working on putting and inside 100 to 125 yards as your primary practice with full swing to help keep from having blow up holes 

I’ve used this approach when I started getting more serious about playing golf and with no shirt game had scored consistently between 90-93. Started shooting upper 80s with a so so short game.

Guys I played with when I started playing we would go out with 7i as our longest club in the bag and see what we would shoot. Sometimes it was a 5i.

Very good approach!  I posted something similar about "new par" challenge for high handicappers a few years ago, but I am also too lazy to look for it.  It's out there if people want to search.

I would add one thing.  If you are trying to break 100 for the first time, play from the most forward tee... doesn't matter how far you hit the ball. Don't let your ego get in the way of learning the process of lower scores.  When you break 100, then you can move back a tee and repeat.  However, you will learn to score more quickly and have more fun if you stay at the forward tee until you break 90. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Very good approach!  I posted something similar about "new par" challenge for high handicappers a few years ago, but I am also too lazy to look for it.  It's out there if people want to search.

I would add one thing.  If you are trying to break 100 for the first time, play from the most forward tee... doesn't matter how far you hit the ball. Don't let your ego get in the way of learning the process of lower scores.  When you break 100, then you can move back a tee and repeat.  However, you will learn to score more quickly and have more fun if you stay at the forward tee until you break 90. 

The most forward tees is a good test for anyone IMO but agree for those learning or trying to break the high scores it’s great.

A low handicap buddy several years back wanted to shoot par from every tee box. He started from forward tees and wouldn’t move back until he shot par. Iirc it was 7 rounds from those tees and around the same from the next set back. Took him longer than that from the normal tees and he went back to playing his normal way before shooting it from the tips

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The most forward tees is a good test for anyone IMO but agree for those learning or trying to break the high scores it’s great.

A low handicap buddy several years back wanted to shoot par from every tee box. He started from forward tees and wouldn’t move back until he shot par. Iirc it was 7 rounds from those tees and around the same from the next set back. Took him longer than that from the normal tees and he went back to playing his normal way before shooting it from the tips

We have a teaching pro that focuses on kids.  He has some top junior golfers in the state.  I played with some of them when he was teaching bunker play; they are good.

When he starts out with a new kid, he does the same as your buddy.  They play from the forward tees and only move back to the next tee when they can break par.  If you can get off the tee and keep the ball in play, the game then becomes learning how to score from short range.  Breaking any barrier becomes much easier when you can throw in a bunch of pars and minimize the big numbers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

54 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

We have a teaching pro that focuses on kids.  He has some top junior golfers in the state.  I played with some of them when he was teaching bunker play; they are good.

When he starts out with a new kid, he does the same as your buddy.  They play from the forward tees and only move back to the next tee when they can break par.  If you can get off the tee and keep the ball in play, the game then becomes learning how to score from short range.  Breaking any barrier becomes much easier when you can throw in a bunch of pars and minimize the big numbers.

I’ve seen/heard instructors talk about the mental aspect of shooting low scores and how people can get in their own way with thinking if I shoot x on this hole of if I go bogey free or some other scenario on this stretch I can shoot this score. It sets expectations and the mind does funky stuff at that point. It’s why I think the mental section of GGs course was worth the membership as much as the swing stuff 

But the other thing is many especially the self taught and late in life golfers never learned the art of scoring and struggle to shoot consistently lower scores. I suffered from it when I started and was playing golf as just another hobby I did and hanging with friends on the weekends. When I started getting serious and did a scoring focused 6 month program with my coach at the time then my game changed and be in g able to stay in the low 80s or break it every so often became a regular thing. Even now with my reduced practice and playing time I can play to a few 3-5 strokes over my cap

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve seen/heard instructors talk about the mental aspect of shooting low scores

While DECaDe talks about target selection, the mental aspect of golf is IMO what Scott Fawcett would say is the most important aspect of the game.   Being able to remove emotion from decisions and stay mentally focused on the calculated shot is crucial to playing well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

While DECaDe talks about target selection, the mental aspect of golf is IMO what Scott Fawcett would say is the most important aspect of the game.   Being able to remove emotion from decisions and stay mentally focused on the calculated shot is crucial to playing well.  

Yeah. Reading Dr Rotella’s stuff was a big help in the mental side approach to the game. 

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve seen/heard instructors talk about the mental aspect of shooting low scores and how people can get in their own way with thinking if I shoot x on this hole of if I go bogey free or some other scenario on this stretch I can shoot this score. It sets expectations and the mind does funky stuff at that point. It’s why I think the mental section of GGs course was worth the membership as much as the swing stuff 

But the other thing is many especially the self taught and late in life golfers never learned the art of scoring and struggle to shoot consistently lower scores. I suffered from it when I started and was playing golf as just another hobby I did and hanging with friends on the weekends. When I started getting serious and did a scoring focused 6 month program with my coach at the time then my game changed and be in g able to stay in the low 80s or break it every so often became a regular thing. Even now with my reduced practice and playing time I can play to a few 3-5 strokes over my cap

That was me when I started... self taught and late in life... at age 45.  I struggled for several years shooting around 100.  Then I wised up; had some lessons, went to a golf clinic, and got to a 14 handicap.  I probably wasted my best years of a golf swing, when I should have started with the lessons rather than thinking I could pick up the game easy enough.  Those are the years I wish I had back.  When you consider the cost of lessons compared to golf equipment prices, lessons are the best investment an aspiring golfer can make.  Lessons shave strokes quickly and reduce aggravation.

I finally got my swing in order to keep the ball in play, so then I practiced short game... a lot!  Lessons here also helped immensely!!  That and a fitted putter got me down to an 8 handicap about the time I joined MGS 9 years ago.  Now my handicap is trending up, mostly due to age.  Age has slowed my swing speed, but it also has taken its toll on my ability to spend 4-5 days a week chipping, pitching and putting.

50 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That was me when I started... self taught and late in life... at age 45.  I struggled for several years shooting around 100.  Then I wised up; had some lessons, went to a golf clinic, and got to a 14 handicap.  I probably wasted my best years of a golf swing, when I should have started with the lessons rather than thinking I could pick up the game easy enough.  Those are the years I wish I had back.  When you consider the cost of lessons compared to golf equipment prices, lessons are the best investment an aspiring golfer can make.  Lessons shave strokes quickly and reduce aggravation.

I finally got my swing in order to keep the ball in play, so then I practiced short game... a lot!  Lessons here also helped immensely!!  That and a fitted putter got me down to an 8 handicap about the time I joined MGS 9 years ago.  Now my handicap is trending up, mostly due to age.  Age has slowed my swing speed, but it also has taken its toll on my ability to spend 4-5 days a week chipping, pitching and putting.

Yup not getting lessons early on is probably the only regret I have with golf and would start that way if I could do it all over. I was lucky that a couple guys I played with were low digit handicaps and helped me learn a little about the swing. One of the guys I played other sports with at the time so we had a good relationship and he was willing to help. 

On 10/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Completely agree on the strategy here.  My boss started to really get into golf in April of last year, so I would go to the range and play 9 holes with him quite a bit.  At that point, he was around a 30 handicap and lucky to break 100.  He would always reach for the 3 wood from the rough/trees/fairway or anywhere when he had over 200 yards to the green.  He didn't and still doesn't hit his 3 wood very well so it would just cost more strokes.  I finally urged him to start hitting his 6 iron from those spots because just as you said he can hit that solid and straight much more often.  Now, he is confident enough in his 4 iron to get it down there, but still the same approach.

The next biggest thing I noticed is that course strategy was not in the thought process at all.  He might give a little bit more help for his slice off the tee by aiming left, but coming into greens, there was not much thought.  He would continually short side himself and not hit many greens.  

Last was his distance control - he really guessed at his yardages all the time.  He would fall into the old adage of I've hit my 8 iron 145 once so that's the club I play.  Obviously, he was only doing that 1 out of 8/10 times so he wrote all his average yardages out in his notes app on his iphone and still uses that during the round.

He's been fairly good for his level in regards to the short game so that really helped as well.

Now, he is consistently in the low 90's and breaking 90 often.  He shot his best score of an 82 a few months back at a difficult course and I only beat him by 5 shots.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

He might give a little bit more help for his slice off the tee by aiming left, but coming into greens, there was not much thought.  He would continually short side himself and not hit many greens.  

Course management was something I don’t know em for awhile and even using the rules to ones advantage like taking an unplayable and avoiding 2-3 extra strokes trying to play some hero shot that had a small percentage of working or playing out sideways from trees instead of trying to squeeze it between the small opening. The approach to greens and learning that you don’t have to aim at every flag or that the distance to the flag might require a different club vice that one that goes that distance so you don’t have a long putt after rolling out past the pin or be on the wrong tier. 

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to break 100

1) Tee off with a wood that keeps you between the trees on a regular basis, Driver, 3W, 5W, 7W

2)  If that is the club that will get you to the green or will not reach, hit it again.

3) If you are still a good ways out repeat or use the club you think you can reach with.

4) Inside 50 yards use a Sand wedge to get on the green, if you can't hit a sand wedge up in the air take a lesson, will be well worth it.

5) On the green or fringe putt it in.  If you struggle with putting again, take a lesson will be worth the money.

Keep it simple and have fun!!!!

6 hours ago, thegolfgal said:

Trying to break 100

1) Tee off with a wood that keeps you between the trees on a regular basis, Driver, 3W, 5W, 7W

2)  If that is the club that will get you to the green or will not reach, hit it again.

3) If you are still a good ways out repeat or use the club you think you can reach with.

4) Inside 50 yards use a Sand wedge to get on the green, if you can't hit a sand wedge up in the air take a lesson, will be well worth it.

5) On the green or fringe putt it in.  If you struggle with putting again, take a lesson will be worth the money.

Keep it simple and have fun!!!!

The hardest 6 inches on course is the space between the ears. So don’t keep score for a few rounds and simply find your average distance with each club. Tin Cup wasn’t entirely wrong playing with just a 7 iron. I don’t recommend using that in a bunker or in lieu of a putter. 
For example, if you can hit a 7 iron 135 yards, that’s 400 yards for 3 shots. If you have par 4’s over 400 yards and not breaking 100 - move up. GIR plus 1 and 9 three putts is 99. 
Fairways hit and 2 putts are the first/easiest areas to improve your score. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I have been back playing golf for 3 seasons now. (Retired) I am just starting to break 100 with regularity. My goal is to just keep the numbers going the right way but living in a real 4 season market what can I do for the next 4 months to avoid losing the progress I made this year?

Coming back to golf

11 minutes ago, Mike B said:

I have been back playing golf for 3 seasons now. (Retired) I am just starting to break 100 with regularity. My goal is to just keep the numbers going the right way but living in a real 4 season market what can I do for the next 4 months to avoid losing the progress I made this year?

There are swing drills one can do inside without a ball or even outside. 

Look up Monte Scheinblum YouTube and social media if you want free stuff or his website rebellion golf. Between no turn cast, efficient swing and his new broom force there are lots of things 

Others to look up youtube and social media for free stuff. Chris ryan golf, Eric cogorno, porzak golf, athletic motion golf (amg) and meandmygolf 

Eric. Amg and meandmygolf have courses and amg has their YouTube stuff broken down into segments on their free portion of their website. 

On 10/4/2021 at 12:50 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I agree with this 💯 great simple advice. Do you follow Golf Sidekick on YT?

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...