Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Right shaft for p790

I ordered a set of Taylor made p790 irons 2021 version a few weeks ago and rather stupidly didn't get custom fit. I ordered them with the dynamic gold stiff 105g S300 shaft. I've now played 2 rounds with them and I am struggling to flush the irons. Shots tend to go a little to the right and not as long and high as I'd expect. Previously I had a set of Tiltiest 710 ap2s in Kbs stiff shafts and these shafts worked well for me. 

Would changing to a 95g dynamic gold shaft make much difference? Failing that would you recommend a shaft that feels like I can feel the head kicking nicely through impact please? My swing tempo isn't an aggressive transition. 

In my driver I use a kuro kage 60g shaft in stiff flex and hit that really well. A good drive can get to about 270 to 280 yards. 

There are many factors that could an be issue besides just the shaft.  For any of us to recommend a shaft based on your post would be the equivalent to closing our eyes and throwing a dart at a wall and see where it lands.  And yes, I would look to the shaft as a possible contributor to poor performance, but I would also make sure to check lie angles, length and swing weights.

There are many KBS shaft models, but I'll pick the KBS Tour as it's probably the most likely to be in a club and if it was a specific model other than that I would assume you'd list it.  That shaft in S flex is a 120g shaft and you say they worked well for you.  Then you went to a 105g shaft and are struggling.  The fix you propose is to go even lighter to a 95g shaft?  That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I would highly, HIGHLY recommend going in for a fitting with your new irons.  Since they are still a current model most places should still have fitting carts.  At a minimum this should allow you to hit several different shafts with the heads and see actual data to find if a shaft change will help them work better for you.  

Best of luck with your irons, but please don't randomly spend money on new shafts plus the work to install them and just hope they will be better.   Spend that money on a fitting and get it sorted once and for all and then enjoy your new sticks!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

10 hours ago, hckymeyer said:

There are many KBS shaft models, but I'll pick the KBS Tour as it's probably the most likely to be in a club and if it was a specific model other than that I would assume you'd list it.  That shaft in S flex is a 120g shaft and you say they worked well for you.  Then you went to a 105g shaft and are struggling.  The fix you propose is to go even lighter to a 95g shaft?  That logic doesn't make sense to me.

The whole post nailed it and it really applies to every thread or question about what shaft a player should use or what head, but this past is what I would have touched on too and have the same assumption of being the kbs tour.

One point to add, just because a shaft works for a person in one head doesn’t guarantee it will in another especially when you look at the AP2 vs the P790. The spin in the Ap2 head is typically going to be higher than the 790 from what I’ve seen on a launch monitor.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yup.  @hckymeyernailed it.  Just add it to the list of life's lessons learned, find a good fitter, and get them fixed.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)