TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unofficial Review: Shaftease Vibration Dampening Inserts

dlow206

As many of you may know, I had moved to graphite iron shafts about a year ago to reduce the wear and tear on my body. Although I am still young at 37, once in a while I get some minor pains in the arms and elbows. I had recently ordered a set of T300 irons with graphite shafts, but due to a shaft shortage and an unknown timeframe for when my order could be fulfilled, I cancelled my order and ordered a set of custom built irons from a local club builder that has all components in-stock. Now that I will be playing steel shafts, I want to find something that could potentially help reduce the vibrations associated with steel shafts.

In the past, I have used the Prosoft inserts, but wanted to see also if there were any other potentially better alternatives on the market. That is when I came across a product called Shaftease. I reached out to the owner, Jim, via his website, and I have a set on the way. I will be evaluating this product to see if it will work well for myself, and also for customers of my small club building business. 

Here is a link to the website: https://www.shaftease.com/

shaftease.jpg.98bd51069375e4ce0ab66ce231513b56.jpg

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I've used these on a few sets of irons.  They seem to work as advertised although I've found that if you cut them in half they are easier to install, provide the same amount of benefit, and give you twice as many to use.  The straw tends to bend and mash up as you get them fully pushed down.

My bag is a revolving door!

29 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I've used these on a few sets of irons.  They seem to work as advertised although I've found that if you cut them in half they are easier to install, provide the same amount of benefit, and give you twice as many to use.  The straw tends to bend and mash up as you get them fully pushed down.

Nice, good to know. Jim mentioned to me there is also a metal installation tool that is available that makes it easier to install. The metal tool is intended for commercial club builders, but for folks that buy a lot of sets, probably makes sense as well. 

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

I'm looking forward to reading your findings.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Following this one. I've been in graphites for a few years now due to tennis elbow that thankfully hasn't flared up at all in the past 2 seasons. Interested to see how these work out.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Funny enough, True Temper has even shortened the Sensicore insert they used to use in their shafts.  Originally the sensicore insert was close to as long as these inserts.  Now that they've re-branded it and started calling it VSS, they have cut the length in half and now the insert is only about 4 inches long.  

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

now the insert is only about 4 inches long

So it's basically just down at the tip of the shaft?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

So it's basically just down at the tip of the shaft?

No, it's still up in the middle of the shaft but the insert itself is very short.  It won't really fit in the tip section since it's a drinking straw wrapped in open cell foam.  Here is a picture of the full insert that used to be Sensicore.  Now it's the same insert but only about 4-5" long instead of 8-10" long.

truetempersensicoreplug.jpeg

It was a miracle that I now have my T300 set. Just got them today.

So my first task after returning home from picking up my set was to install the Shaftease.

So when you are installing them, you want to push them into the butt of the shaft first by hand. Once it is all the way in, you use the provided tool to push them down. The Nippon 950GH have an outer diameter at the butt of 0.610", so I didn't have any issue with getting Shaftease in by hand and then pushing them down with the tool to 10.5".

IMG_2091.jpg.49cbffbdec771f7130f9aacdae3d4928.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg.8f191431fb735efafe738d318eab1574.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg.1f28883263c535512c2bb984347832ab.jpg

Updated 07/15/2022

Very good Info.  I had always got my DG shafts with sensicore and I miss it with the PX shafts.   I was thinking about going to steelfiber shafts next but will watch for your review & probably try these the next time I regrip the clubs over the winter.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a couple rounds with these and have hit balls on the range. What I have noticed is not much, in a good way. I haven't noticed any significant stinging from vibrations, i don't have any elbow or joint pains, etc. You will still occasionally feel a sting if you hit one really poorly, but i think that is unavoidable. So far so good with this product. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I will say, there is nothing you can do to dampen steel shafts to the point where they will match graphite, i just dont think that is possible

Updated 07/15/2022