TESTERS WANTED! ×

Apex Utility Wood

Vegan_Golfer_PNW

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

They're killing me.

From the looks and specs, I might want to have all three of them.

I have ZERO budget for new golf equipment if I want to avoid divorce court,

and it also drives me mad how the manufacturers all do late season releases after one has already spent money.

Freakin' Callaway.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

What's more, they look like natural companions to the TaylorMade 307cc driver.

A great little compact wood set for anyone looking for that.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

https://worldofwunder.callawaygolf.com/this-thing-is-unbelievable-introducing-the-apex-uw/

@JohnnyCallaway approves!

Seeing this elevate the ball i might need to swap my Super hybrid for this.

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

Like the profile at address with the taller face than fairways. My 17 deg hybrid is the first club below driver in my bag. It is my safety club off the tee and approach club into par 5s. The trajectory can be a bit low off the deck and can get hooky. This has me very intrigued as I would hope Callaway can beat the ball speed and forgiveness of my 10 year old Cobra Baffler. The RDX shafts are a decent fit for me as well. This is definitely something I want to test alongside the Epic super duper hybrid. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

Like the profile at address with the taller face than fairways. My 17 deg hybrid is the first club below driver in my bag. It is my safety club off the tee and approach club into par 5s. The trajectory can be a bit low off the deck and can get hooky. This has me very intrigued as I would hope Callaway can beat the ball speed and forgiveness of my 10 year old Cobra Baffler. The RDX shafts are a decent fit for me as well. This is definitely something I want to test alongside the Epic super duper hybrid. 

Fully agree. I might even trade in my super for this. Then have 17* UW and a 19* 3H and 21.5* 4i

My Reviews:

One concern.

Apex UW is offered in 17, 19, and 21°.

Epic Super is offered in 16, 18, 21, 24, 27.

The former seems more like a "pick one" offering than a "set" offering given the spacing.

Except for choosing the 16 or 18, the latter could be used as a set if one desired..

I don't know if this is significant or not in Callaway's plan.

One tiny criticism, and not really a criticism so much as an alternate thought,

is that I may have gone 17, 20, and 23° with the UWs instead.   Or maybe 16, 19, and 22º 

Most likely, though, they're primarily marketed as a "choose one" type of thing.

Edited by BostonSal

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

23 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

One concern.

The former seems more like a "pick one" offering than a "set" offering given the spacing.

You prefer the old days of wood sets;  today clubs are marketed individually to fit a players needs.  Woods, hybrids, driving irons, or long irons picked to fit spin, launch, and distance needs for a player.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You prefer the old days of wood sets;  today clubs are marketed individually to fit a players needs.  Woods, hybrids, driving irons, or long irons picked to fit spin, launch, and distance needs for a player.  

No.   It has nothing to do with my personal preference.  I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

I certainly remember the old days of wood sets, but I'm not calling for their return by any means.

I'm just saying that if you gap them 3º apart, some people might choose two or three of them.

If you gap them 2º apart, people will likely choose just one. 

Nothing more than that, plus I said it was an alternate thought more than a criticism.  I think the clubs look very promising.

Sets abruptly stopped being the norm circa 1980 when the TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon arrived.  I was there and playing golf then.

I bought mine as a 12-17-20-23 set, because that's still what I was used to doing, 

but they were sold individually which I concurred was a good idea.  I still believe that it is.

Edited by BostonSal

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Playing with my senior friends from forward tees, I am tempted to completely forget about the driver.  

It's too much of a liability because my successful hit average hasn't gotten great after decades of attempts.

Majestic blasts that don't land on the golf course are of little value, and they're often the better shots.

I almost NEVER miss my four-wood, any of them over the years, and playing with an entire foursome in its dotage, my four-wood shot is as long as anything anybody's going to hit anyway.

Imagining the 16.5 as the biggest dog, those Apex UWs at 19 and 21 look like a definite possibility. [I wish it were 22.]

If I can hit them off the tee as straight as my Epon driving iron, and still be able to play them as fairway clubs, the tee-only Epon gets early retirement and a prominent display position in the collection.   

Then I could load up the bottom end of my set as ludicrously as I like. 

I'd have wedges everywhere but inside my trousers.

I'd even be tempted to practice with them!

It's a thought, those UWs, but they'll probably be hard to find for  a demo for a while and they are not inexpensive,

Do I dare another pure faith purchase?  Not now, anyway.  I'm under close scrutiny.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I have been playing a TSi2 7 wood. and This has me totally interested. Seems like the perfect idea. Way more useful than the super hybrid in my mind. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 4 weeks later...

Presently play Driver, 4 wood, 7 wood and a 19* might be able to boot the 7 wood. It looks good in pictures but adjustablility would have been better to reach more people. I would need to hold it and see it at address before taking the plunge on another hybrid like experiment that never seems to work long term.

Callaway Paradym 10.5* GD AD UB 6s

Callaway Paradym 3w GD AD UB 7s

Callaway Paradym 5w GD AD DI 8x

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-GW PX IO 6.0

Mizuno 23 54* PX IO 6.5

Mizuno 23 58* PX IO 6.5

PING PLD 

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out the 19* UW with the stock PX RDX 80S shaft and did not like it, just felt pretty dead. Put in the GD AD DI 8x and it is now a very usable club, pretty long for me being right in the 190 range which is what I was hoping for and so far good launch off the deck or tee. Still only hit hit a half a dozen times so the learning curve is still there, not quite sure on the ball position just yet for the best performance with my swing.

Callaway Paradym 10.5* GD AD UB 6s

Callaway Paradym 3w GD AD UB 7s

Callaway Paradym 5w GD AD DI 8x

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-GW PX IO 6.0

Mizuno 23 54* PX IO 6.5

Mizuno 23 58* PX IO 6.5

PING PLD 

I picked up the 17* to replace my 5 wood in mid November to fill the large gap between my driver and top end iron but so far it has not been working out for me. It might be the length of the club or the way I am trying to hit it. It has the ball speed of a rocket and in my off hits will still roll forever to the distance but... suffering with flat out carry number and flight. I'll continue to practice with the club until next spring but, I'm leaning towards demoing a Utility iron or going back to regular fairway wood.

:titleist-small:  TSR 2 10°  :Fuji:  Ventus TR Red Velocore 5 S

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18° :Fuji:  Ventus Red Velocore 6 R

:taylormade-small:  SiM2 Rescue 4 Hybrid 22°

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5 ~ PW, GW Nippon Modus 3 105 R

:vokey-small: SM8 54° S grind, 58° D grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter

On 12/3/2021 at 6:55 AM, sosuHands said:

I picked up the 17* to replace my 5 wood in mid November to fill the large gap between my driver and top end iron but so far it has not been working out for me. It might be the length of the club or the way I am trying to hit it. It has the ball speed of a rocket and in my off hits will still roll forever to the distance but... suffering with flat out carry number and flight. I'll continue to practice with the club until next spring but, I'm leaning towards demoing a Utility iron or going back to regular fairway wood.

A utility wood by design will never have the same peak height as a fairway wood which will also likely reduce the overall carry distance and roll out. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

11 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

A utility wood by design will never have the same peak height as a fairway wood which will also likely reduce the overall carry distance and roll out. 

Probably true, but if it results in a reduction of mis-hits, therein could lie its value.

Where distance is concerned, we hit it as far as we can hit it.

Then we work with that.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I purchased the Apex - 4 /21 degree with Recoil 75H shaft and Love it! Replaced a Bobby Jones 4 rescue, same 21 degree loft and its made a difference. 

Been trying different settings:  standard - neutral & standard Draw and like both settings.  Can go up +2 or down -1. I'm sticking with Standard Neutral setting.  

Initially the look of the club standing over it, looked funny to the eye, but quickly adapted and glad i did.  I'd recommend the Apex UW.  

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Got mine delivered the day it was released and absolutely love it. Flies a lot flatter for me than a hybrid and a bit easier to hit than a five wood. Was a real nice replacement for a fairway wood and this one will not be going anywhere anytime soon. 

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

On 12/7/2021 at 2:40 PM, Jmikecpa said:

Got mine delivered the day it was released and absolutely love it. Flies a lot flatter for me than a hybrid and a bit easier to hit than a five wood. Was a real nice replacement for a fairway wood and this one will not be going anywhere anytime soon. 

What's your driver club head speed? 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

6 hours ago, BMart519 said:

What's your driver club head speed? 

Generally in the 115 mph to 118mph range in season. Guessing a touch slower in the winter with only playing once a week and zero practice. 

WITB 2024

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* SHAFT TBD...

:taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

:callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

:callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

:callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my Apex UW 17*, I'm starting to get the numbers I want with the club and it will work just fine as an easier to hit 3 wood replacement for me. Now I get to wonder would I want a 21*?

:titleist-small:  TSR 2 10°  :Fuji:  Ventus TR Red Velocore 5 S

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 18° :Fuji:  Ventus Red Velocore 6 R

:taylormade-small:  SiM2 Rescue 4 Hybrid 22°

:mizuno-small: Pro 225 5 ~ PW, GW Nippon Modus 3 105 R

:vokey-small: SM8 54° S grind, 58° D grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter