GolfTEC vs. True Spec

Steve-O-hio

On 10/7/2021 at 10:22 AM, cnosil said:

I’ll play the devils advocate on this thread.   While True Spec is mikes above Golftec in the fitting department as they have access to more shaft and club options it may not be the right choice for you.   As a consumer and someone considering a high end fitting, I’d you:

• know your goals from the fitting?
  • do you have any understanding of the fitting process?
  • do you have any understanding of launch monitor data?
  • what are you golfing goals?
  • what is your club budget?  
  • do you have you list of questions for the fitter?
  • have you considered any local fitters not associated with a chain?

Typically True Spec will have higher quality fitters, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get a good fitting at a Golftec.  I pose the questions above because people who aren’t educated about the fitting process go get fit at a high end fitter and get sticker shock or don’t see immediate improvement in their games and then complain that the fitting was a waste if time and money.  We hear in commercials about the 50 yard gains from a fitting and while it happens when a player is using poorly fit or really outdated clubs, that isn’t the typical result.  You may see a few yards of gain and slightly smaller dispersion cones which is more of a long term improvement to you scoring floor and ceiling and may not be visible when looking at one shot or even a round. 

i think you can be successful at either location provided you know what you are looking for going into the fitting.  

Great advice.

In my limited experience (a failed driver fitting at Club Champion), I also concluded a fitting to maximize distance is far more likely to succeed than a fitting to improve dispersion. Though Club Champion told me they could do both, in retrospect their methodology couldn’t have improved my dispersion - and that was my sole stated goal. I specifically told them I didn’t care about gaining distance at all. Fortunately my CC failure only cost me a little over $400 and 6 weeks of measurably worse dispersion with the shaft they recommended.

A buddy of mine had a full bag fitting at the same Club Champion, paid about $5000 for a whole new bag. He has gone steadily downhill since his fitting about 9 months ago and has almost quit playing altogether he’s so bad now…

I would welcome a great fitting next time I want new sticks, but I think it’s unlikely I would find such a fitter.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

My experience at Golftec in Columbus O-H-I-O was 7 years ago when the shop was located inside a Golfsmith store. The teacher was very experienced and if I remember right it seemed to me that GolfTec has a method of teaching and fitting that needs to be completely understood by their people. I think not all employees study/understand their methods throughly. Unfortunately I have met more people who have claimed that Golftec has messed them up rather than helped. I did not pursue lessons with them but rather did a basic swing analysis - which was helpful and enlightening at the time.

The stories I hear about True Spec in Columbus are very positive, and the fittings seem to be very personable and expert. I know for a fact that they have WAY more experience than the guys currently at the Columbus CC.

Club Champion trains their people very extensively, but fitting is still an art and requires good judgement and experience on the part of the fitter. Just because one has access to 50K combinations of clubs and the latest tracking devices, doesn't guarantee a good fitting. 

As with everything - it comes down to people and their ability and willingness to "fit" instead of sell.

Rather than commit to a whole bag fitting, why not start with just the driver? If you're happy with that then continue on after establishing a good relationship with the fitter.

Hope this helps.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:21 PM, cwbart said:

If you haven't been fitted yet give Jim McCleery a call. He's a clubfitter/builder in Waverly, OH.  I think that you would enjoy the experience.  He knows his stuff. His site is McGolf on roadrunner.net.  Look him up.  It will be worth your time.

If I lived anywhere near Ohio, I would go to Jim. Great guy, knowledgeable,  and helpful.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber Avalon T6*, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft,

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, 4-6, Dynamic Gold Sensicore x100 7-pw, D4, 2° flat

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

On 10/20/2021 at 7:04 PM, ajdegeno said:

I understand the reasons to go to true spec or Club Champion but I prefer people like Jim McCleery.  They will spend more time with you, work on your swing as well as shaft.  They will not cost an arm and a leg but because they get most of their clients from word of mouth, they will work hard to gain your trust and fit you correctly.  One bad fitting could hurt them more than True spec.  Just go in with a game plan and you should come out better for it.

Also, realize if you have newer clubs, you may just need a few lessons to hit the current clubs better.  Some times a good fitter will adjust your current clubs rather than selling you a new set that you may not really need.  I sent 4 friends to a golf clinic about hitting their driver and everyone kept their current drivers saving over $400 apiece.  Lessons work wonders and can get you swinging better so even if you do get fitted and buy new clubs, you might want to invest in a couple of lessons to make everything come together.

My wife's experience with an independent fitter out of Macedonia, Ohio: She went through a whole bag fitting with the fitter who spent a lot of time trying different options - end result were new irons and hybrids. Told her her Driver and wedges were perfect - even though both were a few years old. Very satisfied and saved me a bunch of money. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Had a very good experience at PGA Superstore if there is one in your area and bad experience with GolfTec 

• Like 1

All Fitted-- Driver - 2017 Callaway Epic Subzero 10.5d (same as Kevin Na), 3 Wood -2017 Epic Subzero 15d, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 4 52-56-60, Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Just know in advance the cost of your clubs will be high.  Our True Spec in Tampa has only after market shafts.  You can’t compare the manufacturer’s shafts with the after market shafts because they don’t have any OEM shafts to hit.  They recommended ACRA shafts (which are very good) but their price was $125-175 higher per shaft for what I could buy the same shaft for on-line.  My fitter was very good and I enjoyed the experience but upselling of shafts is where they make their money so just be aware when you go in it’s going to be expensive.

Hmmmm,

Sounds like True Spec is the preferred choice.  I don't have one in my area but I will travel for something this important (make it part of a trip).

Having said that . . . I have been going to GolfTec for lessons.  I almost quit them as my game got sooo much worse as he was working to implement some major changes that destroyed my scores.  I was looking to move from low 90s to mid 80s but instead went back to 100s.

When I started I had a super strong grip and big back swing and then swing through with a lot of power and a lot of left arm chicken wing.  I had great distance but really bad inconsistencies (one day slice - next day weak hook that went no where all mixed in with good shots).  Coaches before GolfTec just talked about tension / breathing / tempo.  All important but not really changing the bad swing.

The GolfTec coach's lessons mirrored Mike Bender work - nice in to out swing with no chicken wing - closing the clubface without over rotation and fixing a horrible tense set up.  So of course I suffered for a long time trying to change in such a major way.  Anyway . . . now I am trying to achieve consistency but finally on the right path . . . changes starting to feel natural and stick and scores finally dropping . . . we have been through a LOT.  Ha ha ha.

Why am I telling you my life story?  Because I wonder if the coach who has committed this much time to me and knows me . . . wouldn't be a better choice for me and a fitting even though he is at the dreaded GolfTec?

With that life story  . . . do you still say go somewhere else?

Thanks,

Michael

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade M1
5W: TaylorMade M4
4h:
:cobra-small: One Length 25*
5-GW:
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, Project X 5.5
Wedges:
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 54* S, 58* D, True Temper Wedge Flex
Putter:  Evnroll 
 ER5 Black Hatchback
Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x when with others who can spot / Callaway Bold Superhot when alone or T off near driving range (so I can find my ball)

2 hours ago, Michael M. said:

Why am I telling you my life story?  Because I wonder if the coach who has committed this much time to me and knows me . . . wouldn't be a better choice for me and a fitting even though he is at the dreaded GolfTec?

Does your coach say you need different clubs or a different setup?  How qualified of a fitter is your coach?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Bg861 said:

Just know in advance the cost of your clubs will be high.  Our True Spec in Tampa has only after market shafts.  You can’t compare the manufacturer’s shafts with the after market shafts because they don’t have any OEM shafts to hit.  They recommended ACRA shafts (which are very good) but their price was $125-175 higher per shaft for what I could buy the same shaft for on-line.  My fitter was very good and I enjoyed the experience but upselling of shafts is where they make their money so just be aware when you go in it’s going to be expensive.

Keep in mind that nobody has to buy from places like TruSpec, Club Champion, TXG or similar places. 

Whle TruSpec doesn’t have stock shafts some of the other similar places do and can be requested for fittings.

The fittings and club purchases are two separate services these places offer

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Anybody got any opinions on True Spec vs Cool Clubs? One advantage I've heard of for Cool Clubs is that the price covers adjusting your current clubs. They adjust yours as they're dialing you in. Don't know if True Spec does that or not, but it'd be cool to have your current set dialed in while you save up or decide to buy whatever their recommendation is.

• Like 1

D-Epic Speed

3W-Cobra SZ

3H,4H,5H - Sim Max

5-PW Titleist 716 CB

Mizuno T20 50°

Mizuno T20 56°

Scotty Special Select Newport 2

• 4 months later...

I went to Club Champion for a wedge fitting and absolutely HATED the wedges they fitted me for. It's hard to get a good wedge fitting indoors.

I'm gonna give True Spec a try for a putter fitting in 2 days. Depending on how that goes, I might give them a shot for a driver fitting. I currently play the Epic Max LS with an Autoflex shaft but I get more ball speed with my 3W. I didn't get fit for the driver, I did get fit for the 3W. 

Hopefully I can find someone to take the Autoflex off my hands, if they can find me a better shaft combo lol.

Possibly related, I just suck at hitting my driver and lessons have only made me worse 😞 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS with Autoflex X-stiff 

3-Wood: :ping-small: 425 Max w/ KBS TD 60

Irons: :taylormade-small:P790 w/ X-stiff True Temper DG 105

Hybrids::taylormade-small: DHY Utility Irons 4 & 5

Wedges::taylormade-small: MG3 w/ KBS Black Wedge Shaft (50, 54,58)

Putter: Cure RX5 w/ P2 React Grip