TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone Else Getting Data Weary?

fixyurdivot

Golf Analytics  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Has golf become too data driven?

• Yes
    • No

Has the game of golf become too data driven?  When does a good thing begin to become a bad thing - at least at the amateur level? This comment was made by someone writing into the most recent MGS Podcast mailbag and it got me to thinking more about it.  I love some of the analytics about the game but at the same time, starting to grow weary of the seemingly never ending analytics about the game.  

I spent a long career in aerospace engineering and management and love me a good data set and analytics as much as the next guy or gal... but, at least for me, it's beginning to overshadow the pure enjoyment of the game.  Since joining MGS in 2018 and immersing myself back into the game, I've done the fitting thing (thrice now), seen all my data, and acquired what should be optimal equipment.  I've poured over the Ball Lab test reports and tried (unsuccessfully) to find any that really stand out. I no longer use my Shotscope V2 RFID tags.  I did for a period of time and the data was interesting... but not that interesting.  Frankly, I just don't want to sit and look at graphs, SGI's, and scatter charts about my game.  Yes, I do want to improve but, like so many things, one needs to find balance.  Recently, I've decided to let the pure joy of playing once again become my focus.  Play more instinctual and less mechanized.  If the decision costs me a couple of index points, so be it.

So where are you in this new modern, analytic saturated world of golf?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The joy of this game is that you can play it any way you want. If you want the data it is there for you to use. If you don't want to look at it, you simply don't have to. One thing that gets missed in the "modern game", "data revolution" thing is that the info was always there, we just didn't have the knowledge to apply numbers to it. I am sure Hogan would have loved all the data. Snead maybe not. But it has always been there. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

39 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The joy of this game is that you can play it any way you want. If you want the data it is there for you to use. If you don't want to look at it, you simply don't have to. One thing that gets missed in the "modern game", "data revolution" thing is that the info was always there, we just didn't have the knowledge to apply numbers to it. I am sure Hogan would have loved all the data. Snead maybe not. But it has always been there. 

Well, we don't know what we don't know, so technically everything has always been there and, it would stand to reason, more is heading our way 😲. It just seems to me the analytics aspect of the game has really become so dominant in recent years.  You're absolutely correct that one can choose to partake or not.  For me a little goes a long way. To some extent, I'm wondering whether I've focused too much on the data and at the expense of letting the game come to me?  

I'm just curious what others feel and think about it.

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, we don't know what we don't know, so technically everything has always been there and, it would stand to reason, more is heading our way 😲. It just seems to me the analytics aspect of the game has really become so dominant in recent years.  You're absolutely correct that one can choose to partake or not.  For me a little goes a long way. To some extent, I'm wondering whether I've focused too much on the data and at the expense of letting the game come to me?  

I'm just curious what others feel and think about it.

I think it depends on how the player responds to the data and if they find the data beneficial.   When I was taking lessons launch and ball conditions were used as checks and to show what was happening.   I've tried the course data analytics and I think what you track is dependent on player ability.  During my rounds I make so many swing mistakes I am not looking at strokes gained numbers because the bad shots are obviously where my issues lie.  I don't need something like arccos.   In my mind the biggest benefit to all this data is the strategy and expectation  management aspects.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not getting data weary, but getting weary of having to constantly make corrections in Arrcos after a round to get the data. Seeing data is good, having to work too hard to see the data makes it tedious. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I'm not data weary, but I believe people of my skill level need to be careful. We are so inconsistent, we can't look at what happens in a single round or a few rounds - we have to focus on the longer-term trends. I know I need to reduce penalties off the tee and I know I need to hit more greens. To me, the best part is having good data on actual distances without having to spend a ton of time on a simulator I don't have easy access to.

When I got Arccos a couple years ago, I gave my ShotScope V2 to a friend. He only used it a couple months and stopped because he became too focused on the data. He now has new irons with Arccos grips and hasn't even taken the stickers off.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

It's always easier to have too much data than not enough. As others have said, it's just a matter of how you want to apply it to your game.

For lessons, I love having Trackman data available to me especially when I'm indoors. When I try something new, I see if numbers move on the screen. Immensely better feedback than someone saying, "That's better!" Obviously, outdoors ball flight helps a bit. 

On the range, I enjoy having my Mevo+ out about once every five sessions to make sure what I'm doing in the gym is resulting in progress. Club/ball speed mostly. 

On course, it's fun having Arccos to measure shots. No more guessing based on stakes or yardage markers. Also, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it's much easier to score Internet points with a screenshot of a 300-yard bomb than a story about one. 🤣. Realistically, I like being able to look back at rounds and reminisce about good shots and what could/should have been. The strokes gained feature is nice, but not something I look at a lot. 

To each their own, of course.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

20 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm not data weary, but I believe people of my skill level need to be careful. We are so inconsistent, we can't look at what happens in a single round or a few rounds - we have to focus on the longer-term trends.

Good point.  Data associated with highly varied ball striking skill would seem to be of little value.  I really don't need to review data to know I need to hit more fairways, GIR, and make more putts. That's always been my challenge and it is the result of inconsistent ball striking. Anything I do related to swing, equipment, and strategy pretty well reveals itself real time.

8 minutes ago, edingc said:

Also, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it's much easier to score Internet points with a screenshot of a 300-yard bomb than a story about one. 🤣

Golf's ultimate selfie?  Yes, those have become increasingly popular... except you don't see many from us old, slow guys 😆.  Totally agree on the real time LM data feedback when trying new clubs, shafts, etc., and for range sessions.  I was speaking more to the data from rounds and the mountains of data from pro level play.

It depends on where you're at in your game and what you're trying to accomplish. In my case, data is important because it helps me with both improvement strategies, such as swing speed as well as club selection. In the case of the former, if I see my driver distance is beginning to trail off - well that leads to a swing speed improvement plan.  As the the latter, after logging 30 rounds on my SS V3, and looking at the Performance Average data,  I found that I'm hitting my 22^ hybrid as long (if not longer) than my 5 wood. An immediate fix was to take the 5 wood out of the bag. A longer fix is either lessons or picking a better 5 wood. 

So at least for now, I'll be using my SS V3 to better tell me where I need improvement. However, as a disclaimer I don't use the SG nor am I interested in the 'compete' functionality as neither one provide any benefit for me. . 

i

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

53 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

.  I really don't need to review data to know I need to hit more fairways, GIR, and make more putts.

I’ll dig in a little deeper here; what you listed here are the “old school” metrics or data that golfers collected.   You say you need to hit more fairways.  While we want to hit all fairways, what is a reasonable expectation?  Why do you need to hit more fairways?  Does just counting fairways hit really tell you if you have a problem off the tee?    Maybe you need to look at GIR to correlate fairways and greens hit.  But do you keep metics that indicate if you were in the fairway when you hit it miss or if you had to punch out because you hit a really bad tee shot.  What is a good number of GIR?  Do you account for different green sizes?  You may have better hole proximity on smaller missed greens than larger hit greens.  What clubs or distances do you hit and miss greens?  why are you missing greens in the first place.  Are you good at hitting greens from 100-129 but terrible everywhere else?  Moving on to putting, what is a good putting number?  If you average 50’ from the hole is 2 putting bad?  Can you expect to make more 50’ foot putts?  

Carrying this thought  further, how do you measure improvement over time?   How do you know which has the biggest impact to score?

Not trying to say you measurements are wrong but tryin* to understand how you assess that limited set of data to get better.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I’ll dig in a little deeper here; what you listed here are the “old school” metrics or data that golfers collected.   You say you need to hit more fairways.  While we want to hit all fairways, what is a reasonable expectation?  Why do you need to hit more fairways?  Does just counting fairways hit really tell you if you have a problem off the tee?    Maybe you need to look at GIR to correlate fairways and greens hit.  But do you keep metics that indicate if you were in the fairway when you hit it miss or if you had to punch out because you hit a really bad tee shot.  What is a good number of GIR?  Do you account for different green sizes?  You may have better hole proximity on smaller missed greens than larger hit greens.  What clubs or distances do you hit and miss greens?  why are you missing greens in the first place.  Are you good at hitting greens from 100-129 but terrible everywhere else?  Moving on to putting, what is a good putting number?  If you average 50’ from the hole is 2 putting bad?  Can you expect to make more 50’ foot putts?  

Carrying this thought  further, how do you measure improvement over time?   How do you know which has the biggest impact to score?

Not trying to say you measurements are wrong but tryin* to understand how you assess that limited set of data to get better.  

Your response hits all the exact points that, at least for me, is data overload.  I'm admittedly "old school" on a good many things and don't need to dive that deep into the weeds (pun intended) to know that hitting all fairways off the tee, hitting all GIR, and not 3 putting, more often than not, yields my best scores.  I scramble well but having to do so costs me strokes - no doubt about it. Having to make the 1 putt for par vs. getting a much higher odds 2 putt is not ideal. I can/do make marks on my scorecards indicating FIR, GIR, and putts and this gives me a sense of whether I'm doing better.  Recently, I'm also tracking how many first putts get within the 2 ft. circle.  Ultimately, my improvement measure is lower final scores and index.

21 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Your response hits all the exact points that, at least for me, is data overload.  I'm admittedly "old school" on a good many things and don't need to dive that deep into the weeds (pun intended) to know that hitting all fairways off the tee, hitting all GIR, and not 3 putting, more often than not, yields my best scores.  I scramble well but having to do so costs me strokes - no doubt about it. Having to make the 1 putt for par vs. getting a much higher odds 2 putt is not ideal. I can/do make marks on my scorecards indicating FIR, GIR, and putts and this gives me a sense of whether I'm doing better.  Recently, I'm also tracking how many first putts get within the 2 ft. circle.  Ultimately, my improvement measure is lower final scores and index.

Totally understand.  The key is identifying the right metrics to show improvements.  For most of us it is fairly obvious where we are losing strokes and the details I mentioned are really more geared toward the better player.  I am guessing you also keep track of first putt distance because missing a 3 foot putt but leaving it inside of 2 feet and only knowing it was a 2 putt inside if 2 feet isn’t very telling  

As I have learned more about golf metrics I kind of like the ones in the DECADE foundation level(The Tiger 5 and the mental scorecard).  I personally don’t think that FIR, GIR, and putts are good golf performance indicators to drive improvement. 

Great topic. I hope it doesn’t get to a point like baseball where the data drives everything. It leans that way with Bryson but there are examples of countless others that are complete opposite of him. Unlike baseball where every team is data driven at this point.

For me I love arccos, less for the day to day data (helps with reviews for sure) but I prefer it strictly for the hole to hole and shot to shot. I am super visual and the arccos aerial helps me so much.

I don’t think golf as a whole will become overkill on data. It’s easy enough watching the sport on tv to ignore those, and for me personally as a golfer I personally do not need it to enjoy playing.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

Great topic. I hope it doesn’t get to a point like baseball where the data drives everything. It leans that way with Bryson but there are examples of countless others that are complete opposite of him. Unlike baseball where every team is data driven at this point.

For me I love arccos, less for the day to day data (helps with reviews for sure) but I prefer it strictly for the hole to hole and shot to shot. I am super visual and the arccos aerial helps me so much.

I don’t think golf as a whole will become overkill on data. It’s easy enough watching the sport on tv to ignore those, and for me personally as a golfer I personally do not need it to enjoy playing.

I think the good part for golf is that analytics tells you to play golf a bit more fun. Usually it says take the driver more often and just bomb it. Maybe don't fire at pins, but also no one is aiming far enough away that good shots won't happen. Not to mention recoveries where the pros will still pull off crazy shots.

Unfortunately for baseball playing by the analytics leads to being more boring. Take more pitches, use more pitchers, take longer between pitches, try to hit more home runs even if you strike out more, don't steal bases, and so on. Most of those things lead to slower games with less hits/action. But lets not turn this into a thread about baseball.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

So here's where I'm at because I'm liking going away from my PING Irons soon and with it, going away from Arccos as a service. I do think that Arccos has helped me identify things that have improved my game. Without Arccos I never would have realized my putting had got to the state it had and allowed me to go spend on a putter built specifically for me and now, showing me that I need an iron change to re-engage me mentally over shots.

I was never using it to chase goals or anything else, I was using it to give me some feedback that I couldn't quantify. But the problem is when you chase things in that space it can come at a holistic change to your game. I honestly believe just going ahead to a rangefinder to get yardages is going to help me more than getting the full suite of information. That's more my speed right now I think because I can get paralyzed by data.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

5 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

I think the good part for golf is that analytics tells you to play golf a bit more fun. Usually it says take the driver more often and just bomb it. Maybe don't fire at pins, but also no one is aiming far enough away that good shots won't happen. Not to mention recoveries where the pros will still pull off crazy shots.

Unfortunately for baseball playing by the analytics leads to being more boring. Take more pitches, use more pitchers, take longer between pitches, try to hit more home runs even if you strike out more, don't steal bases, and so on. Most of those things lead to slower games with less hits/action. But lets not turn this into a thread about baseball.

Yea I think that’s where I was trying to go is that I’m not worried about it being “over analyzed”. 
You lost me at dont fire at pins though. They’re so damn enticing i gotta hit them!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I love a saying I read a few years ago that's always stuck with me...

"In its haphazard nature, science often produces progress in advance of understanding."

Meaning...the data we have is helpful but it's only helpful when people understand what it means.

Golf technology is awesome and has the best of intentions...finding the proper audience will be the most difficult challenge.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Yea I think that’s where I was trying to go is that I’m not worried about it being “over analyzed”. 
You lost me at dont fire at pins though. They’re so damn enticing i gotta hit them!

Fire away! Since interestingly enough golf is supposed to be fun right?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Has the game of golf become too data driven?  When does a good thing begin to become a bad thing - at least at the amateur level? This comment was made by someone writing into the most recent MGS Podcast mailbag and it got me to thinking more about it.  I love some of the analytics about the game but at the same time, starting to grow weary of the seemingly never ending analytics about the game.  

I spent a long career in aerospace engineering and management and love me a good data set and analytics as much as the next guy or gal... but, at least for me, it's beginning to overshadow the pure enjoyment of the game.  Since joining MGS in 2018 and immersing myself back into the game, I've done the fitting thing (thrice now), seen all my data, and acquired what should be optimal equipment.  I've poured over the Ball Lab test reports and tried (unsuccessfully) to find any that really stand out. I no longer use my Shotscope V2 RFID tags.  I did for a period of time and the data was interesting... but not that interesting.  Frankly, I just don't want to sit and look at graphs, SGI's, and scatter charts about my game.  Yes, I do want to improve but, like so many things, one needs to find balance.  Recently, I've decided to let the pure joy of playing once again become my focus.  Play more instinctual and less mechanized.  If the decision costs me a couple of index points, so be it.

So where are you in this new modern, analytic saturated world of golf?

@fixyurdivot, would you also lump in the Trackman's or portable launch monitors in this discussion? Or just focusing on the course analytics - SS/ARRCOS?  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

@fixyurdivot, would you also lump in the Trackman's or portable launch monitors in this discussion? Or just focusing on the course analytics - SS/ARRCOS?  

No, I stated above that LM's for range practice and most certainly for club fittings are great.