• Mobile/Tablet
    • Computer or Laptop
    • Both
  3. 3. Dark or Light Theme?

• Dark
    • Light
  4. 4. Rating system on testing

• Original numbered 0-100 broken down
    • Star rating system (searchable in thread)
    • Combination of both (similar to what we currently have)
    • Doesn't matter to me
  5. 5. Do you use the gallery?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Have you found the "Announcement Feature" to be helpful? How many are too many in your opinion?

• Yes, helpful.
    • No, don't pay much attention to them.
    • 1-3 is good
    • 1-5 is good
    • As many as we like, close them after reading anyway.
    • Other add in comments
  7. 7. Main reason for being on the forum.

• Testing & Reviews
    • General Forum Discussion
    • Seeking help or advice
    • Other contests opportunities (Majors & Ryder Cup contests)
    • Fantasy Sport Leagues run by MGS members
    • Other (please comment below)

I read a lot more than I post here. But the conversation is always good and the community is nice. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

As a relative newbie and hardcore lurker here, I have a few observations.  Mods in the forums are nice, but in a lot of companies they pay someone to sit there and be a presence for the mods, using their handle. Response to questions is the goal, yes?  

Ads are always a problem. There are ways to discover which ads work. IMO it boils down to the types of ads. I'd poll the membership, then encouraage advertisers to offer more value:  discounts, contests, freebies, a membership role in the forums offering expertise and in-line links, advertorial-type write ups that inform and show involvement, podcasts of interviews with people in the business with something to sell that can educate (think of Michael Breed's Club Champion segments).  

I'd be very interested to read a mission statement or the like on the site. Are you GolfWRX or Hacker's Paradise, etc. ?  Do you focus on current topics and news or vintage equipment and ideas?  Seems to me you can't please all the people all the time. I first encounted GolfSpy as a review resource, then was impressed by the expertise they evoked.  Forums rely on the personality of your members.  Nerds over at GolfWRX, fun-loving social types at HP.  I don't get a feel for the membership here (although, I am not very involved yet). 

I get the feeling this has all been hashed over and over already. From the site's POV, it is a branding problem. The site wants to maintain a strong brand, unique expert content, then attract like-minded loyalists. That means engaging members ASAP with new content and personal benefits.  

Polling works to a certain point.  Then, choices work better: Here are 3 homepage designs, choose 1.  Here are 3 ad solutions, choose 1.  etc.

Good luck.

WIMB RH
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Mizuno MX-23 forged irons, 4-P, Dynalite Gold regular steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Some of us like providing additional information to ensure golfers keep golfing.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

2 hours ago, DejaGolf said:

As a relative newbie and hardcore lurker here, I have a few observations.  Mods in the forums are nice, but in a lot of companies they pay someone to sit there and be a presence for the mods, using their handle. Response to questions is the goal, yes?  

Ads are always a problem. There are ways to discover which ads work. IMO it boils down to the types of ads. I'd poll the membership, then encouraage advertisers to offer more value:  discounts, contests, freebies, a membership role in the forums offering expertise and in-line links, advertorial-type write ups that inform and show involvement, podcasts of interviews with people in the business with something to sell that can educate (think of Michael Breed's Club Champion segments).  

I'd be very interested to read a mission statement or the like on the site. Are you GolfWRX or Hacker's Paradise, etc. ?  Do you focus on current topics and news or vintage equipment and ideas?  Seems to me you can't please all the people all the time. I first encounted GolfSpy as a review resource, then was impressed by the expertise they evoked.  Forums rely on the personality of your members.  Nerds over at GolfWRX, fun-loving social types at HP.  I don't get a feel for the membership here (although, I am not very involved yet). 

I get the feeling this has all been hashed over and over already. From the site's POV, it is a branding problem. The site wants to maintain a strong brand, unique expert content, then attract like-minded loyalists. That means engaging members ASAP with new content and personal benefits.  

Polling works to a certain point.  Then, choices work better: Here are 3 homepage designs, choose 1.  Here are 3 ad solutions, choose 1.  etc.

Good luck.

Here is a link the the blog site and the over arching MGS mission statement: https://mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

As for the Forum we follow close by the blog site The forum's mission statement: MyGolfSpy's Community Forum aspires to continued growth while adhering to its core goal of being a place for serious, honest and fun discussion on both golf and life, and a place to go for product reviews - a true online ‘19th Hole’ where all are welcome and all members are treated with respect and friendship.”

Our goal as moderators are not to be police for the site but to be active and engaged within the site as members, not just overseers of the site. Although we of course take part in moderating threads, managing member accounts, trouble shooting, site management, test selection, site improvements and a whole lot more. We are members here just like everyone else who want to see the forum thrive and continue being a welcoming and engaging community that we are. 

Ads have been discussed in other threads and I'll leave it those threads for further discussion on that matter. 

As for the polls these were for me to get some data and information to assist me in helping to plan the offseason and where some areas should take more focus and others where we maybe can bump down the priority list.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

18 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Here is a link the the blog site and the over arching MGS mission statement: https://mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

As for the Forum we follow close by the blog site The forum's mission statement: MyGolfSpy's Community Forum aspires to continued growth while adhering to its core goal of being a place for serious, honest and fun discussion on both golf and life, and a place to go for product reviews - a true online ‘19th Hole’ where all are welcome and all members are treated with respect and friendship.”

Our goal as moderators are not to be police for the site but to be active and engaged within the site as members, not just overseers of the site. Although we of course take part in moderating threads, managing member accounts, trouble shooting, site management, test selection, site improvements and a whole lot more. We are members here just like everyone else who want to see the forum thrive and continue being a welcoming and engaging community that we are. 

Ads have been discussed in other threads and I'll leave it those threads for further discussion on that matter. 

As for the polls these were for me to get some data and information to assist me in helping to plan the offseason and where some areas should take more focus and others where we maybe can bump down the priority list.

(I don't usually quote the whole darn thing like this)

Thanks for the response. Love the mission pages. Reviews IMO are your foundation and biggest asset right now.  

GolfWRX is a community, ebb and flow kind of engaging conversations. They do reviews and media, but it has no punch.  Hackers Paradise is a father/mother to the hordes of kids on their site, clammering for more.  SandTrap is kind of in between and vanilla, with no expertise except a long history and loyal following.

Seems to me the design of the site is less important than its members, which means the content and UX are king for its members. Yeah, I'd listen, pay attention to the polls, with the other ear on revenue and advertising which you can turn around to benefits for the members. Also, publicity for MyGolfSpy is key.  Get the name some life--what does it mean? 

I'll give the site an informal audit and PM you with some suggestions. Might take a week or so. Thanks.

Next day:  I've read a lot on the site and have a better idea of where you are, so I might have been late the party as far as suggestions go. Seems like you're all doing the right thing--gathering viewpoints and tweaking the site. I think it feels pretty darn good.

Edited by DejaGolf

WIMB RH
TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Mizuno MX-23 forged irons, 4-P, Dynalite Gold regular steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36"
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Not the most senior member by far, but I've been here a minute and I'm just going to echo something that the other folks have touched on -- I miss the old reviews. Yeah, the pick me pick me bros were a little annoying, but it was wayyyyyy more engaging for non-testers previously, and it flowed a little better from announcement, product received, initial thoughts, ..., final review. Admittedly, I barely participated in the CCC this year, and hardly followed any of the reviews because it just didn't feel as connected. Maybe I'm just a forum Boomer and hate change? Gimmie my old bbcode forums and get off mah lawn!

Still the best golf community around, and I've made good friends both on and offline from MGS, stoked to see our membership growing with so many quality people

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

3 hours ago, yungkory said:

Not the most senior member by far, but I've been here a minute and I'm just going to echo something that the other folks have touched on -- I miss the old reviews. Yeah, the pick me pick me bros were a little annoying, but it was wayyyyyy more engaging for non-testers previously, and it flowed a little better from announcement, product received, initial thoughts, ..., final review. Admittedly, I barely participated in the CCC this year, and hardly followed any of the reviews because it just didn't feel as connected. Maybe I'm just a forum Boomer and hate change? Gimmie my old bbcode forums and get off mah lawn!

Still the best golf community around, and I've made good friends both on and offline from MGS, stoked to see our membership growing with so many quality people

I know that I have talked a lot on this topic all over the forum, but I think a few things are good to repeat. I should also start by saying having had to work with and on the newer system I am likely one of the most comfortable with it. We have already spoken on the roll out and how it was buggy and there was a lot of work done to it as well as work continues on it. It is night and day from where it was at launch in terms of user friendliness and overall functionality. Since our main changes and feedback taken from our membership the engagement has gone up and I think in part members getting more use to the system as well. 

On top of all of this here are a few other outside factors that assisted in making it a bit more complicated
- Several reviews including CC5 had to be cancelled 
- There are also several reviews where testing kit has been delayed by literally months due to covid and more. 
- Initial engagement and complications soured users on the new system reducing engagement (situation like yours)
- Changes in staff also had an effect and time to explain/answer questions on it all.

With how it is now the flow is a lot better, with it still being a fair bit of work on the back end to keep it organized (Testers Wanted, Signup Closed, Testers Announced, In-Progress, Final Reviews). We now have a system and better schedule that is more structured to keep it organized and help the flow as you put. Again the flow has been disrupted a lot due to product delays and other covid/shipping factors which has hurt. The initial reviews on the system are the ones that were effected the most as they were not in recent content, a little more hidden on the main page and so on. However now we have it showing for recent content, a new tab for testers wanted on the main page and more intuitive titles around the site to direct a brand new person to the reviews. For reference I often use my wife being a complete non golfer to try and find it all and see if it flows haha. 

I'm all for suggestions within the new system, but I also don't have the power to change back to the old way and given the resources put into the new one don't think that would be a option at this point and all in all would be better to work on and revise this in order make it more to the memberships liking. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

- Changes in staff also had an effect and time to explain/answer questions on it all.

To me, this is the crux of the problem. The pandemic is a great, catch-all excuse and certainly caused issues, but don't forget 2020 was a pandemic year (albeit with less supply chain issues). In my opinion, it was very poor timing to have so much staff changeover and try to implement a huge change in the way the testing functions at nearly the same time. We all know you guys have careers outside of this place, but that does not excuse the lack of "change management" that went on. We now have 4 new staff members along with "old timer" @GolfSpy MPR and "emeritus" staff @Golfspy_CG2. I have no clue what the other new guys do behind the scenes, but for all practical purposes, you are the face of the staff as you most frequently interact with us. Is there really that much that goes on behind the curtain or did the other guys over-commit by taking these roles which is really limiting their effectiveness? Meanwhile, two very effective staff members (at least from an end-user perspective) were let go to make room for the new guys. The "why" of these changes is none of my business. The only reason I bring it up is things ran much smoother last year (another pandemic year) without the huge changes. Even though I'm approaching old-fart age, I am not resistant to change - I actually like it when it is not change just for the sake of change.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Going keep the poll open through the weekend and close it off. Thank you all for participating as its provided some valuable insight as well as guidance as to where we can improve and grow. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Again I want to thank everyone for participating in the Polling. It did really help us as mods get a good idea for some aspects of the site. Rather then open up another thread or polls on anything I want send this message out as a update and ask a few further questions. 

- To start we are continuing to work on the Testing section. A further addition that will likely be included is a tab where all Tester Wanted (aka signups) will be and another Tab where all the other reviews will be. Does this make sense to break those like that and help sort the reviews a little more? Included will be renaming "Current Tests" as next years although current will be in the same area as all of this years. We want to make it as simple as possible and to cause as little confusion as possible. 

- We have also done (thank you to the dev) some optimization on our end to make the changing the titles more simple and in some cases is now even automated. For those who are curious when the post is originally made it will say Testers Wanted. When the sign up closes it will auto prefix to Signup Closed and then when we choose the testers in the backend it will auto prefix to Testers Announced. The rest being In-Progress and Final Reviews we will still do manually. 

- One of the benefits with this is that we will no longer see Testers Wanted for any signups that have closed or that we may have been a day or two late on changing. 

- We are also working on some other features to add to the site which as we get some more details on we will make announcements about. For all of you who enjoy writing shorter reviews this new feature should be right up your alley and could add in a nice local touch to the community. 

Questions: Please note this is for features, this means we know ads suck and are aware of it and have sent messages to the powers that be to help or assist with this. 
- What features are we missing on this forum in your opinion? Are there other features that other forums have that we should look at adding or incorporating?
- Without getting into previously talked about testing section discussion, how do we look at getting greater engagement in the future?
- Are there Mobile features we should be looking into? (I'm mainly a tablet or pc user and rarely use mobile other then quick checks on the site)
- Are there features we have already that we should be promoting more (ie user groups, profiles, stream feature, gallery etc)

We now have a stable group of mods and now that much has settled and we have more or less found our roles with the large changeover we can truly put a larger focus on site improvements as well as growth and a better overall user experience. 

We truly welcome suggestions whether here or in a PM to any of us as many other users have over past months. Although we cannot guarantee ideas will be implemented, all will be taken under consideration. We have a incredible community here the membership is what makes this community so great, but we also want to see it continue to improve. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

While I am involved in a test I write my review in microsoft word and incorporate the pictures as I go throughout testing. It would be very convenient it we could import this type document as a whole. Drag and drop and be done.  Other option is convert to a PDF and be able to drop that in. Current process does take more time. Cut, paste, import picture, resize, and repeat until you are done.

I know I asked about this last year but is there any thought to bringing back the member map? Always great when you travel to be able to reach out to a spy in the area. Either to arange a game or just advice on courses or other things to do in the area.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

While I am involved in a test I write my review in microsoft word and incorporate the pictures as I go throughout testing. It would be very convenient it we could import this type document as a whole. Drag and drop and be done.  Other option is convert to a PDF and be able to drop that in. Current process does take more time. Cut, paste, import picture, resize, and repeat until you are done.

I know I asked about this last year but is there any thought to bringing back the member map? Always great when you travel to be able to reach out to a spy in the area. Either to arange a game or just advice on courses or other things to do in the area.

Im not sure what the capabilities are within the posting features, but certainly worth a look if we can enable a feature like that. 

I know with new testers this season most have written it right in their post, but that isn't for everyone and like you i would always write mine in word before.

As for the member map it is or a version of it something we are currently working on with some extra features. I know it was a great thing to have (admittedly more for US members) but still a great feature that would be great to have back.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

This is another older thread that I want to bring back to peoples minds. I would love for any of you who have not participated in the poll to take the 2 or 3 minutes to do so and comment below. 

Now A LOT has changed since this thread was created and we have evolved the forum a great deal since then, however the poll questions remain relevant. 

If you have questions, suggestions or feedback be sure to let us know!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

This is another older thread that I want to bring back to peoples minds. I would love for any of you who have not participated in the poll to take the 2 or 3 minutes to do so and comment below. 

Now A LOT has changed since this thread was created and we have evolved the forum a great deal since then, however the poll questions remain relevant. 

If you have questions, suggestions or feedback be sure to let us know!

it might be worth running a new poll as I'm sure some answers would be changed with the work we've done... that way we can compare the two periods and track progress against our goals.

...sorry literally just sat through a team meeting at work going over our survey results and it's nice once you have a prior period to compare against.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

it might be worth running a new poll as I'm sure some answers would be changed with the work we've done... that way we can compare the two periods and track progress against our goals.

...sorry literally just sat through a team meeting at work going over our survey results and it's nice once you have a prior period to compare against.

Buts extra work! Haha

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Buts extra work! Haha

Sounds like he can set it up, you have just volunteered @GolfSpy_BOS

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!