TESTERS WANTED! ×

My try at duplicating the Ben Hogan Swing

Hi guys,

I'm BHSP, or Anthony. Just an ordinary guy that got hooked on this crazy game about 4 years ago. I somehow stumbled onto a few Hogan videos and have been mesmerized with this swing action since then. I made a crazy bet with some of my golfing friends that I could duplicate the Hogan swing. Ummmmmmm, I know, I have lost my stinkin mind lol. But I want to see how close I can come to the Hogan mechanics. I have been keeping a log for the past few months of what I have been going through, and have about 12 videos so far. I'll post them sometime tonite. I have no idea if this is at all possible, but what could it hurt. Even if I don't get anywhere near the swing, at least my game will improve.......hopefully.

Here's my baseline video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0GhA0vPwE

I'll post the rest of what I have in my journal later tonite. Is anyone else here trying to understand Hogan? Cause, so far, I'm confused as heck!! I think his tendons were made of something synthetic lol!

Just a dedicated Hogan fan trying to understand this crazy game...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my playing partners asked how the project was going and who I was using as a teacher. Told him I am working on the address right now and that I have no teacher.

At this point, I only listen to my eyes. That's my secret. If someone gives me a book with a description of how to do a dance move, it will be from their perspective, from what they feel. My perspective may be totally different. I may translate what they are saying as something way off base. Plus they will surely leave out an intricate detail because to them, the detail is so much a part of a common human move, that they will expect everyone to already know of it.

If they give me a video to duplicate, I can break it down into mini moves, and just get in a mirror till I am spot on.

So my hypothesis is that I cannot duplicate hogans swing by reading the book or someone telling me how to do it. I just have to break the address onto 1 inch mini moves. Same for all the rest.

The hogan videos are my #1 training aid. Without them, this project is impossible

An example of how I translate the address position is not quite what Hogan put it. If I had to describe it at this point:

- My head is turned about 5 degrees to the right of center.

- I am looking at the ball with my left eye.

- My chin is down.

- My upper back is slumped with a curved spine.

- My right knee is bowed inward.

- My left foot is turned slightly open to the target, and left knee bowed a bit inward.

- My shoulders are rounded forward; feels like

- Feels like someone has jumped out of a horror movie with a Rambo knife, and has jammed it direct into the middle of my shoulder blades and upper back.

- My right elbow feels like it is bowed out about 5 feet, but video shows it to be only 1 inch.

Take 2 video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTTP4jxOyU

7i DTL

Takeaway is much too far inside.

Transition is over-the-top

Pivot doesn't keep moving.

During practice, if I pause at the top for 2-3 seconds, everything comes together nicely; no over-the-top.Gotta figure out how to make the same result when making a full, non-stop swing as is in this video. Whew......I have a loooooong way to go. I do notice a difference in my follow-thru....its a lot higher; I can no longer swing a hybrid, or 5w, or 3w in the basement because of the club now hitting the ceiling. This was not happening in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhoAW6aikcc

In the 'Take 3" swing, focusing on the takeaway. Trying to understand why right shoulder keeps rising while taking it back. Gotta do more to keep right shoulder down.

The funniest part of this video is swing #3, where I wanted to really FEEL my elbow jabbing me into my side during the downswing; doing this caused the club to move in towards me, which moved it away from the ball. I hit it just off the toe, and ball went flying sideways and bounced like a pinball around the garage, including into the ceiling above, which is our master bedroom, where my wife is lying in the bed. lol, I thought I had put my eye out. This is where my Mom would have said, "Mr. Anthony, you know we don't hit or throw in this house!!

The part you don't hear is when my wife yells "What are you DOING down there????? The sane people are trying to SLEEP!!!!!!!!"

LOLOLOL!!! I may have to set up a secret camera while I'm practicing to catch her hilarious reactions and comments!

Just got off the phone with Kim. She gave me a speech about having consideration for her sleep. I said "I did consider it lol........I considered that if the birds are chirping, and the sun is up, it's Hogan time!! Do you think Hogan laid in the bed when there was daylight?? lol" Then she requested that I pllllleeeeeaaaase move her truck out of the garage when I am being Mr. Hogan. She then reminded me of the cracked windshield on my own truck. Yeah, I cracked the windshield, but I wasn't practicing; I was doing something totally different………. I was in need of a golf fix (kinda like a drug fix lol). Here's the story:

It had rained non-stop for about a week, and I couldn't get out to the course. I checked the forecast every day hoping to get a round in at some point. The stinking forecaster said the rain would be over late Thursday nite and Friday would be "partly cloudy." Sooo, I took off work on that Friday. Cleaned my clubs and packed my golf bag that Thursday nite. Got up early Friday morn, had a champions breakfast, and headed to West Pines course for a well-needed round of 18. Left home and the skies were clear as spring water. Got closer to the course and it started to get dark. Parked my truck, and it got reeeeeeeal dark. It was about 10am and there was 1 other vehicle in the parking lot. My thinking was “I'm not letting a few dark clouds scare me away…..there WILL be some golf played today!!” Opened my door, put my foot on the ground, and the bottom of the black clouds above fell onto the earth like a stinkin waterfall. I was sooooo determined to play that day, that I got my clubs out, and splashed my way into the clubhouse. I walk in with my shirt and pants glued to me cause of the typhoon outside. The guy at the counter was locking the place up and said “Ummmmmmm……buddy, not gonna happen today. It's a dang hurricane out there.” Of course, I didn't hear him, cause I NEEEEEEED to play some golf. I just stood there cold and dripping onto his carpet. I said something stupid like “well, it may just pass over.” There was a television to the right of the counter that had the severe weather beep at the bottom of the screen with a splotch of red over about 3 counties. I stared at him, stared at the tv, stared at the range, stared at the parking lot, then just walked out in disgust. Didn't even say bye. (My apologies to the guy at the counter....my disgust was really for the weather man!) Got back in my truck and headed to Walmart to buy some wiffle balls to hit in the garage. Bought a few bags and headed straight home. Got home and the monsoon was still spitting on everything. I pulled into the garage and set up my "indoor range." I started hitting the plastic, wimpsy, flimsy whiffle balls towards a wooden target about 30 yards from my garage door. (I was hitting in the opposite direction as I am in the Take 3 video). I put up a target and had a pretty good time hitting it, but the balls just made that "whhhhhrrrrrllllllllll" sound with no real bang. I had a splendid idea.......and this is where i went wrong........I thought that since I was hitting the wimpy whiffles direct to the target, with EVERY club, EVERY time, that I would do the same if I hit a real ball. The precautious, adult side of my brain said that I should not hit a hard **** golf ball into the wooden board, but into a nice, thick, safe, bed comforter. Soooooooo, I went upstairs and got one out of the closet. I got a bungee cord and tied it to a couple of yellow hooks that I screwed into the girders. Now if you can picture this, the comforter is MUCH larger than the wooden target on the wall behind it, so logic should say that I was being safe. I teed a Pro V1 up, grabbed my driver, and swung like I was at a Remax long drive championship. I must have been ramped up with adrelanine, cause I pull-hooked it into the concrete brick wall above the washing maching; the ball missed the giant comforter, ricocheted towards my truck, and right into my windshield, which left a nice sparkly crack. The funny part about it was I just stood there trying to figure out what I did to hook it......lol didn't even care about the $300 windshield I just destroyed lol. I can barely type this right now.......still laughing about it LOLOL!! The not-so-funny part of this is, of course, I ended the indoor driving range session, and forgot to take down the comforter. Kim got home and had all kinds of questions about why her comforter was bungeed to the wall. I told her I was "thinking" about hitting a few balls, but I didn't think it was a good idea (wink-wink lol). I eventually told her about it a couple of years later when we had friends over for dinner. We were all sharing funny stories of our marriages. My wife actually laughed about it; I told her the cracked windshield came from a hail storm.

I haven't fixed the windshield yet....maybe I'm keeping it that way as a reminder lol.

Here's my 'Take 4' video. Was experimenting with the famous Hogan concentration drill.

8-22-11. 10:45pm before bed. 7i DTL and FO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbiBdI1PayY

After watching this video, I laughed out loud that I had worked for an hour on getting the takeaway kinda in the range I wanted it to be in, and was satisfied for what I had put into it. Then I make a final recording of the full swing (the 'Take 4' swing), and I am nowhere near what I practiced for the hour. Old habits are hard to get rid of. New habits take time and repetition. Will do a few swings in the a.m. and make sure I have an understanding of what the takeaway should feel like..........then practice it for a month......or two......or six...............or thousand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7GPdyU_xyo&feature=related

In the 'Take 5" swing, still focusing on the takeaway. Didn't have but a minute to swing this morning; had to take daughter to school for a special function. Once we were about to walk out the door, I literally ran to the basement to get 60sec worth of takeaway on video. This is actually the best way to see what your real swing looks like, just grabbing a club and doing one, single swing, rather than rehearsing with 25 swings to "practice" for a video. I proved this to myself last nite; I did about 200 takeaways until it looked good, then took a 20min water/food break. I came back to record 1 last swing to confirm that the takeaway was perfect, and my muscles lost their memory while I ate grilled chicken, brown rice, and green beans. Or maybe there's something genetically engineered into todays foods that automaatically erases all Hogan swing thoughts lol.

Analysis: still don't understand the correct feeling. Right shoulder is still rising. When I slow things down and compare to Hogan, his right elbow appears to bend the instant the takeaway starts. Mine takes a second for the bend action to start. Even with this "wrong" move of mine, my club is very close to the plane line, but if I'm gonna match Hogan. I need for right shoulder to NOT rise.

Next practice session, I'm gonna focus on the right elbow bend and tweak it till it's right. That's the hard part; what feels right to me does not match what I am trying to do. Just another lesson of "what you feel is not real".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4fOp1NId0

Got tired of working on the takeaway for the past 2 weeks. Wanted to play around with the full swing. I apologize to everyone following me, as I am not supposed to be thinking about impact till sometimes next year! Couldn't help it...........It has rained for the past week and I can't get to the course. Had to get some swings out of me. Also experimenting with a new camera angle.

I saw a still photograph of Hogan at impact and had an "aaaahhhhhaaaaHHHHHAaaaaa" moment. His supinated left wrist got me veeeeery curious, and I began experimenting with a few things.

My swing has changed dramatically in the past few weeks. I am absolutely smashing the ball into my homemade range. The ball sounds different when hit by the club, and the canvas "pops" when the ball pounds into it. When swinging in my basement, I now cannot complete a full swing because of the club wanting to fly up into the air during the follow-thru. Tearing a nice hole right into my HVAC ducts. I've GOTTA get to the course!!!

Swing is still nowhere near Hogan's, but I am understinding a LOT about his mechanics now!

My goal is only to duplicate the Hogan swing. This is not based on doing what Hogan's book says, or doing what Hogan said, or doing what Hogan's caddy or closest friends said........only to do what I see in his videos.

This is a point that I've had to make a lot over the past month regarding this project.

My method is as basic and simple as can be. Break the video down from all angles. Practice each and every move in a mirror and camera until I have an understanding of what they should look like, then transfer this look into a personal feeling. This is the most important part of the project............finding my own personal feeling. Practicing the waggle and playing it back 1,000 times till I am close, then understanding what the muscles in my arms, feet, back, shoulders, quads, etc feel like while I am doing it. It all becomes muscle memory.

Same concept as giving an 8 year old kid a Michael Jackson or Elvis DVD. After watching is for a few days or weeks, they can jump up and do most of the moves. spot on. No training class, no book, no understanding of what Jackson or Elvis' "intentions" were. Nobody told them what the 5 fundamentals were of moving like Elvis. They just saw it and moved as he did. They probably won't go out and sell millions of records and have hit music videos, but they are able to accurately do the Jackson or Elvis moves.

Same concept as an actor playing a major role, having to duplicate the person to make it believable enough for the audience. Think of any movie you saw where the actor was so convincing that when you left, you commented on how believable they were, from even the smallest details. There are also MANY actors that screwed it all up too, only mastering one particular part of the persons persona; they were spot-on for a minute or two, then lost mental focus and became themselves for a few moments, which just ruined everything.

All my golfing career, I have been told of the "golf bible" written by Hogan. I have never read his 5 Fundemantals book. Once I get as close as I can to his movements, I will purchase the book and read it in detail. I want to see just how much the book matches the muscular movements I have put together. If I am able to match his mechanical movement, I am succeeding.

I have coworkers that are stunned that I haven't read the book yet. One guy actually brought his into the office and slammed it on my desk. He said "BHP" (that's what he call's me now) "how the heck are you going to duplicate the swing and you haven't even read the instruction manual??? What the hell???? You are going at this all wrong. Take the book and keep it as a gift." My response was "thanks for the kind offer, but I kindly wish to submit into evidence the many, many statements from a gazillion Hoganites around the globe saying that they have read the book and they understand what it says in context, but their swing is nowhere near that of Hogan."

So my theory is that if gazillions have depended on reading the book or the magazines to understand/discover the secret move, or secret thought, or secret whatever, and no one has seemed to have accomplished this, then I must take a different approach. I don't want to become person number gazillion-one.

The book would probably help in understanding his method, but I want to gain an understand by actually carrying out the movement I see him doing. I am not sure if my method will help or hurt. I read another post last nite from a guy that is wanting to understand the Hogan "starting down/transition" theory. He said he finally got his hips to move like Hogans on the downswing, and his ball striking improved a great deal, but when he looked back at the book, Hogan said something about the hips start the downswing. Since he was making his move happen using his left foot, he said that he couldn't be right because Hogan said the hips were the way to go, so he tried focusing more on the hip "because Hogan said to"; his swing went to crap shortly thereafter. Said he was back to the drawing board to "gain more understanding on the Hogan hip move."

What the heck???? If his hips started to look like that of Hogan, even if he was mentally thinking of his left foot, why toss it out because the "instruction manual" said otherwise?

And I proudly state that I have put together many projects without ever reading any portion of the instruction manual. My wife can attest to that lol. May have taken me a couple of cylinder heads to realize that if I crank down the rocker arm bolts too tight, the hydraulic lifters will get smashed lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-9FlsQjoQ

Felt like experimenting with the impact area. Here, I am playing around with one of my custom-designed hip n elbow drills.

Tomorrow, one of my golf buddies is coming to town for the day. I FINALLY GET TO GO TO THE COURSE....YEEEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW!!!!!!!!!! I get to see what the ball does coming out of the grass instead of from my basement floor. The downside..........I still don't have an iPhone to take to the course to do any recording. Hmmmmmm, I wonder how I would look setting up a laptop on the first tee box??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyLTu8xqrLc

3wood. Back focused in the takeaway. I've been wandering around the Nile for the past week. Playing around with lots of drills. Gotta get back on track. The takeaway is improving, but still not where I want it to be.

0:45 Right shoulder still easing itself up. I understand why this is happening now, just gotta work on it.

1:50 Club plane is different. Hogan's is turned down to line more. His wrists have hinged differently than mine. If I get to the top with less of a cupped left wrist, my club is right in the area as his. Gonna stay with the cupped wrist for now, but will learn both versions later.

During the takeaway, the top of my head is moving towards the target. Looks and feels kind of stack-n-tilty. Next phase of the takeaway is to cure these misses.

I'm not trying to uncover any type of secret. It's as simple as:

1. Put a video of Hogan on the screen.

2. Press play............once he has moved the club 2 inches, press pause.

3. Put a video of my swing right next to his, press play and once my club moves 2 inches, hit pause.

4. Did my movement match that of Hogan's? Is my club in approximately in the same position? If yes, goto step 9. If no, goto step 5.

5. turn camera back on an make same 2" movement again, making a milimeter-sized adjustment to it to hopefully get my position to match.

6. Load both persons back on screen.

7. Does my movement match Hogans? If yes goto step 9. If no, goto step 1.

8. END

9. yell loudly "YEEEEESSS!!! FINALLY GOT IT", then proceed to next phase of swing.

I have no clue how long this process will take.

And oh yeah, once I get to step 9, do this movement 100 fintillion times until it becomes muscle memory, because as I've learned over the past month, I can think I have somehing figured out, then I go and eat dinner, come back to try the same move, and find out my muscles have alzhiemers.

I had a good debate with a guy on the topic of Hogan's swing. He said "Hogan's swing was part of his DNA,not yours". On a joking note, it has been scientifically proven that DNA is extractable and clonable lol. On a serious note, take the example of language. I am teaching myself Spanish and Italian. I was born in the United States and I have the accent of a person born/raised in the U.S. This is not part of my DNA, it is based on the surrounding I was raised in, based on the observational learning that took place when I was growing up. I developed the accent of the people around me. As I began to learn Spanish , I spoke Spanish words with an "American" accent. Over time, I have been able to observe/listen to Spanish speakers and gain an understanding of the specifics of their accent, and can now speak Spanish that sounds like I am from Spain. I have never been there, I have no Spanish relatives, I have no Spanish "DNA," but I was able to copy and imitate.

In time, I will observe enough of the Hogan moves and practice them enough until my swing has a Hogan accent.

One of my friends asked,"If you want to get better at golf, and if you want to learn the Hogan mechanics, why not just hire a swing instructor that teaches the one-plane method, or one that has an in-depth understanding of what Hogan was doing and his secret. Would save you lots of time so you could get out on the course and enjoy the game."

My response: I did think about getting a "one-plane swing" instructor, but realized that I would be missing the critical lessons learned from my infinite failures.

Example: If I had a parachute on my back and were dropped on a large Egyptian island that measured 390,000 sq miles, with a map that showed exactly how to get to the fun-filled golf resort on the other side, I would miss all of the incredible journey in between.

In my case, I want to jump out of the plane with the map in my hand, then as I am coming in for landing, the map is suddenly torn away from me by a quick wind and taken off into the distant ocean. I land and stand there dumbfounded and lost. I've heard so much about the golf resort; it's absolutely magical there! I fold my parachute, get out a bottle of water, and start the journey. As I walk, I stumble across lots of cool treasures along the way. Lol, who knows, in my case, I may just wander around the 390,000 sq mile land mass forever, never even getting close to the golf resort, but that is ok too, cause along the way, I met lots of new people, made a bunch of cool friends, and even some cool enemies, discover lots of interesting towns, and learned a lot about myself. I can either stand and stare at this Nile River, or dive into it and start swimming upstream lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZo43FwmTk

I remember someone telling me that I should focus on Hogans concentraton drills in order to gain a better understanding of his mechanics. They were right. From the address, to takeaway, to "the top", regular swing vs concentration are spot on. This should be all I need to master this part of the swing.

Regular swing is on the left. Concentration drill is on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyXcf1zoHDU

Whew......it's been a while since my last video. Been busy with kids, wife, business, and life. I'm still working on the takeaway/upswing in the early morning and late evening.

In this vid, I'm still focusing on the takeaway. It's getting more comfortable, but there are still a few areas of it that need tweeking. I have been out on the course a few times, and I am absolutely amazed at how the ball is flying off the club, and how it is sounding. I can hear the ball as it bullets away from the ground. Has a whir sound.

Over the past few months, I have done enough discussion and heard enough points of view about what I am trying to accomplish, and I think I am starting to understand the confusion. Many say that it is possible for me to duplicate the swing, but i will never touch Hogan's dynamics.

Here's what I think people are trying to say regarding the dynamics piece:

Hogan gets up to the 1st tee, does his signature swing and hits a 3-wood. Goes 210yds with a piercing, resounding blow that echoes throught the course. Flight of ball is a 5-10 yd power fade. Ball explodes off the tee. Sounds like "BOOM..POW..BAM..CRUSH..BLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!" If NASA engineers were there, they would have measured the impact/velocity/force as off the chart, and in amazement would quickly call scientist from around the globe to research and anaylze this in-human ability.

I get up to the 1st tee, and do an exact duplicate of Hogan's signature swing with my 3-wood. Goes185yds with a semi-piercing, much less resounding blow, that can only echo within the next fairway. Ball doesn't really explode off the tee, but does have some pop. Just sounds like "POP!" Flight of ball is a 10-20 yd draw. If NASA engineers were there, they would have measured the impact/velocity/force as bottom-to-middle of the chart, and wouldn't call anyone.

For me, I have succeded with the project, as my only goal is to duplicate the signature swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZptmHbXy4

I've been working on the DTL view for past couple of months. Now, ready to move on to my next camera angle. I will be doing EVERY camera angle of EVERY video I can get into my posession. That includes Down-the-line, Front-On, Rear, Overhead, Right-Front, Left Front, grid, etc.

Still focusing on the takeaway/upswing. As you saw in the DTL Take 9 swing, I was getting close, but when you see things from a different angle, such as in this elevated view of the Front-Right side, many flaws jump right out of the screen. This is expected, and will happen as I move on to other camera angles. Just part of the territory.

0:00 to 2:28 : is the initial recording; you can see that my right arm/elbow are doing some strange things, and my left arm isn't straight as it should be.

2:33 to 7:15: After about an hour of tweeking and retweeking, I was able to understand how to make the necessary changes that I was satisfied with for now. I understand what the movements feel like.....and what I feel is not real. Now I need to put in whatever amount of practices to further ingrain the feeling. The cool part about this is that I am still able to do my old swing movements. Kinda like if someone were learning a 2nd language.......they can speak the 2nd language fluently, but somehow their original language is still hiding in their throat lol.....

Other glaring issues:

- my impatient left knee

- my impatient hips

- my leaning head

- my low pants/belt buckle

- and another 25 issues that nobody else may see, but I do.

This is getting fun!!! On second thought, I'll probably be stuck working on this camera angle for a couple of months.........hmmmm...the fun just ended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLi1l73sw0w

This vid is all about the right leg. I noticed something really different about it in all the past videos. Made a change; now, it feels like I am opening the right leg as the club comes down.

Also, major grip change. The left wrist now has left thumb going straight down the shaft at address, and the face of the club is VERY, VEEEEEERY open. So open, that I was afraid to swing, because I thought ball would go into the basement brick wall to the right. Took me about a week to get the guts to make a full swing, but when I finally did, contact was EXTRA solid. Wish I could try this new setup on the course!!

Regarding the transition, I know and understand what Hogan is doing, but I'm not focusing on it in this video.

One issue I'm having with the basement is that I am unable to make a full follow-thru because of club wanting to explode upwards as it comes out of my left shoulder. I'll deal with it till March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f544Kurup7E

Experimenting with the transition. Why isn't the transition happining better? Because I am stinkin scared! I haven't gained enough confidence to turn my shoulders away from the ball as I should be. I'm turning maybe 75% worth, when it should be 100%. What is the fear?? Hard to explain, but the further I turn away from the ball, the more I think I won't be able to get back to it and square the face. With the face this open at address, it just doesn't seem like I will get it closed, and the ball will shoot rightwards, then ping-pong around my basement and clock me in the groin or eye! My mind knows this is just not true, but my mind and body still haven't become trusting friends yet. Then Kim will have another official "I told you so" moment, and yap yap yap about me hitting a ball in the house in the first place lol. Sooooooo, until I get enough courage to make a full shoulder turn, I will be a bit over-the-top as I come down.

How have I proven this fear theory? When there is no ball in front of me, I easily make a complete turn, and the transition looks goooooooood.

My plan was to work on the swing for a couple of months without a ball, but at the end of those two months, whenever I decided to put a ball in front of me, I would probably turn from tough manly-man, into fragile-flower-man. So I will keep the ball there..................for now.

0:00 5-iron DTL

0:25 5-iron FL

0:58 5-wood DTL

1:10 1-wood DTL

1:48 450cc Driver DTL (ball sitting on mat, no tee)

2:15 5-metal DTL

2:22 5-iron FL slow mo replay

2:48 5-iron DTL slow mo replay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sf5bRMk25k

In this video, I was just playing around with a few things that felt nothing like a golf swing. During my analysis, I ran the slow-mo a few times just to see how ridiculous the swing looked, and was shocked to see that I was SOMEHOW getting close to the angle-hinged position. I WISH I KNEW HOW I WAS GETTING THERE!!!!!!!! It would be so helpful if I could just type exactly what I am doing, but I have no idea right now.

Alright guys......sorry for all the back-to-back posts, but thats my entire swing journal to date. Now you know what I've been up to since about July. I have an idea what is going on in the Hogan swing, but I haven't been able to train my body yet. Can't wait to get out of this basement and onto the course in March 2012!!

And yes, I know this is pretty insane and idiotic to try and copy a golf swing(my wife tells me daily lol). Is there anybody else using Hogan as a swing model?? Any luck with it?

• SPY VIP

Just got through reading (most) of these posts and I have to commend you for the dedication! Best of luck as you continue with the project, I will be following closely.

I second what Matt said. This is an absolutely fascinating project. Best of luck with it.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I second what Matt said. This is an absolutely fascinating project. Best of luck with it.

Thanks guys. But believe, me, I have heard more negative feedback than positive regarding what I am attempting. I've learned a lot so far, but I have a loooooong way to go.

I'm also done reading now (you kept me busy the whole day at the office :lol:)

Not familiar with the Hogan swing, so can't say if it's good or bad.

However, the level of detail and dedications... really hats off to you!

Just a suggestion, you might want to update your project in a more regular interval. It's easier for us to follow step by step instead of chugging down 20 posts full of info at once.

Good job!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have gotten a lot of questions asking what my method is, and who my instructor is. Lol, there is no documented method, and the plain dude you see in my vids, better known as "me" is the instructor. Heck, I taught myself how to do the moonwalk, so why not a golf swing lol.

Here's my daily routine:

1. Set the computer up in DTL view.

2. Turn on the 100 degree spotlight that probably gives the neighbors the impression that I am lighting a nuclear reactor.

3. Press record on the computer.

4. Walk over and get into the address position. Hold it for a few seconds.

5. Go back to the computer. Stop recording. Draw a plane line from the hozel of the club, straight through my back.

6. Press record again.

7. Walk back over and get into address position, but this time, perform the full takeaway/upswing in concentration-drill tempo. Do this movement 5-6 times. Then do same movement in real body speed.

8. Go back to the computer. Stop recording. Run the video back of the concentration drill and watch as the club begins its climb.

9. Is club on the plane line? Yell "YES!!"

10. Is my right forearm in position? Yell "YES!!"

11. Is my right hand/wrist in position? Yell "YES!!"

12. Is my left shoulder nice and flat? Yell "YES!!"

13. Is my left shoulder still flat? Yell "YES!!"

14. When hands get to lower back, is club still on plane line? Yell "YES!!"

15. Is right leg starting to become a giant kickstand? Yell "YES!!"

16. Is left knee tired of playing hide-n-seek....now poking out pointing towards the target line? Yell "YES!!"

17. Watch my wife walk through the basement door, and over to the washer and dryer. As she walks back towards the door with a basket of clean clothes, she says "Ummmmmm, who are you yelling 'yes' to down here?" I say "the takaway concentration drill is getting close!! Couple more weeks!!" She gives me the blank stare again, and walks upstairs, cosing the door behind her. Then she opens the door, sticks her head through, and says "You know, there are medically supervised facilities for people like you," then closes the door again lol.

18. As video frames are forwarded, is club maintaing its glued-to-the-line relationship? Yell "YES!!"

19. Once club gets to the top, is left wrist in correct position, and right leg kickstand loaded? Am I in a position to spring the motherbluffing spit out of the shaft! Yell "YES!!"

20. Say to myself, "ok concentration drill mastered. All positions are acceptable. Looks close to Hogan!"

21. Now fast-forward to the part of the recording where I did the real speed movement.

22. Do same frame-by-frame analysis.

23. Watch as club remains glued to plane line, and wrists do exactly what they are supposed to, and legs/knees cooperate.

24. Then withing a half-a-second, watch as everything gets off plane and all positions get out of whack.

25. Cuss

26. Scratch my head and wonder "I can do it in concentration speed, but WHEN THE HECK WILL I BE ABLE TO DO IT AT REGULAR SPEED!?"

27. Go back to step #7 and repeat everything a few times, then get tired of cussing, and forget about the takeaway all together, and just start hitting balls, like I promised myself I would not do lol.

Then repeat all this for the next 20 years!

I'm also done reading now (you kept me busy the whole day at the office :lol:)

Not familiar with the Hogan swing, so can't say if it's good or bad.

However, the level of detail and dedications... really hats off to you!

Just a suggestion, you might want to update your project in a more regular interval. It's easier for us to follow step by step instead of chugging down 20 posts full of info at once.

Good job!

I am sooooooo sorry for all the posts at once, but this was just a swing journal that I've been keeping. Everything is up-to-date now. When one of my golf buddies told me "you should check out mygolfspy.....they have a good forum about the golf swing," I had to check it out. Glad I'm here!!

I also applaud your effort at this, even though i think your micro managing this a little bit, i'll put my two cents into this.

Your backswing is good enough frame by frame.

Your issues that reveal themselves in the follow through/finish are actually startdown issues that when fixed you'll look closer to Hogan than you are.

What I see first is that your right side is riding high on the downswing - evident in the over the plane of the first video downswing. Your right hand at impact is released over your left hand to the left making the over the top move. Which is why your in follow through, your right shoulder is high and your club isnt matching hogans plane line.

the fix i would suggest would be to start down with more of an under move with your right palm staying skyward longer. in other words if you were skipping a stone with your right hand towards the ball, the way your right hand is throwing would sink the stone - too much palm down.

remember hogan wanted to play a cut/fade shot. so therefore i'd suggest you keep your right side under long swinging more towards the flag and keep your right side/shoulder under the left the entire time from downswing to finish.

review hogans 5 fundamentals book where the image of throwing the medicine ball at the flag, but feel that your left palm is face down / right palm is face up at impact with that medicine ball and you'll see some huge changes in your swing.

Michael

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

I also applaud your effort at this, even though i think your micro managing this a little bit, i'll put my two cents into this.

Your backswing is good enough frame by frame.

Your issues that reveal themselves in the follow through/finish are actually startdown issues that when fixed you'll look closer to Hogan than you are.

What I see first is that your right side is riding high on the downswing - evident in the over the plane of the first video downswing. Your right hand at impact is released over your left hand to the left making the over the top move. Which is why your in follow through, your right shoulder is high and your club isnt matching hogans plane line.

the fix i would suggest would be to start down with more of an under move with your right palm staying skyward longer. in other words if you were skipping a stone with your right hand towards the ball, the way your right hand is throwing would sink the stone - too much palm down.

remember hogan wanted to play a cut/fade shot. so therefore i'd suggest you keep your right side under long swinging more towards the flag and keep your right side/shoulder under the left the entire time from downswing to finish.

review hogans 5 fundamentals book where the image of throwing the medicine ball at the flag, but feel that your left palm is face down / right palm is face up at impact with that medicine ball and you'll see some huge changes in your swing.

Michael

Thanks Mike! Everything you point out is on my list too.

But here's where everybody's gonna open their eyes really wide, and make their eyebrows go up extra high......I've never read the 5 fundamentals book, and don't plan to until I get close to finishing the project. The reason: I've heard of tons of people that have read the book 10's of times, and can explain it in great detail, and have a solid understanding of what Hogan spoke of in the book, but when they've applied all this knowledge to their swing, it does not look like, or does not perform like Hogans. I want to try a different approach.

I have stumbled on a few ideas and feelings, and they make sense, but I just haven't trained to body yet.

Man.....I can't wait to read that book!

Hey, I see you're a bodybuilder. That was my previous hobby. I did a few SNBF shows. I have on posing routine on my youtube page. I'll be getting your book, Atomic Golf, but not Hogan's until I am close to Hoganism!

Archived