Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

J.R. Smith - NBA Player turned College Golfer

Hobert

For some reason, I find J.R. Smith's foray into college golf, just up the road from me in Greensboro, NC, to be quite interesting and fun. I love that a former long-time NBA player, who played on the biggest stages over his career, admitted to being nervous before his rounds.  I also enjoy that while he could simply play for fun, he chose to try to compete at the college level at the age of 36. 

https://www.si.com/golf/news/j-r-smith-made-his-college-golf-debut-and-it-was-pretty-fascinating

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 wood

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with :kbs: Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:callaway-small: JAWS Raw (50/54/58 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

Kirkland V3 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

I'm not opposed to him playing, but I feel like there is some young potential player that is losing out so this guy can stay in the limelight.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

19 minutes ago, CRW said:

I'm not opposed to him playing, but I feel like there is some young potential player that is losing out so this guy can stay in the limelight.  

How is he stealing someone’s spot? If there was a better player dont you think the coach would have put that player on the team?

Do you think international women coming to play college golf in the states are stealing a spot from a potential American woman getting on a team?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, CRW said:

so this guy can stay in the limelight.  

calling NC A&T State "the limelight" is a stretch that a gymnast would be envious of.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Hey if you can hack it you can hack it. He also shot a 83/78 I believe so he is by no means lighting anything up. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

calling NC A&T State "the limelight" is a stretch that a gymnast would be envious of.

This thread and all the media coverage is the limelight. It wouldn’t have mattered what school he played at, being a former NBA player will keep him in coverage for the foreseeable future. Probably right up until he’s done playing. 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

How is he stealing someone’s spot? If there was a better player dont you think the coach would have put that player on the team?

Do you think international women coming to play college golf in the states are stealing a spot from a potential American woman getting on a team?

No, I don’t think the coach would have put a better player in that spot. The guy shot an 83 his first round out. There have to be literally thousands of potential college athletes without a spot that could out perform him. He’s there because of who he is. 

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=player&tid=24592

He was not good in his first time out, but he was also not last in the tournament with 2 golfers from Lasalle finishing worse. Without knowing his typical scores/handicap, I don't know that we know one way or another whether this tournament was truly representative of his skill or whether he actually displaced a better golfer. Even looking at this tournament in a vacuum, he apparently deserves a spot on Lasalle's squad. 😂

Edited by Hobert

Kirkland V3 

39 minutes ago, CRW said:

No, I don’t think the coach would have put a better player in that spot. The guy shot an 83 his first round out. There have to be literally thousands of potential college athletes without a spot that could out perform him. He’s there because of who he is. 

He’s the fifth player on a team at a smallish university. It’s also a historical black college. The number of golfers that would be looking to be a number 5 at that school is probable in the low hundreds of that.

What coach is going to put a bad golfer in a team over a good one? 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I mean, here's my take on it.

NC A&T's golf program has been around since fall of 2017, making it one of the newer programs in the country. NC A&T is a HBCU. NC A&T has some international players along with JR and his teams for a roster of 6, all of whom are playing for this team in this tournament at Elon.

As far as I see, using JR Smith's celebrity to raise the profile of a new team in the NCAA Space at a school that is an HBCU in a sport that admittedly has not always been the most friendly to minorities can only be a positive. Much in the same way Steph Curry went out and and basically sponsors Howard's golf team and the PGA Tour announcing that every HBCU team in the country would receive a 10K grant from the tour, this matters to people and it matters to people who have been part of marginalized communities and people who haven't come to golf the way the majority thought they might as part of the Tiger boom.

It's only a good thing that JR is playing, I hope he continues to get better this season and puts some solid golf in to at least allow his voice and name to elevate the stories of these teams around him.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

There MAY be a better player that he took the spot of, but the exposure is good for the game. There’s all this talk about the “athletes “ in the game now. Unfortunately most of the best athletes in the country don’t get exposed to golf, so maybe this will help with that, but probably not. 

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He’s the fifth player on a team at a smallish university. It’s also a historical black college. The number of golfers that would be looking to be a number 5 at that school is probable in the low hundreds of that.

What coach is going to put a bad golfer in a team over a good one? 

One who is looking for the coverage.  I think @Berg Rymancovered the why better than I could have.  Like I said, I'm not opposed to him playing, but I think someone(s) are losing out because of it.  Maybe the coverage this brings to the school and their program will pay dividends for others in the long run, but to act like that's not what is going on is disingenuous at best.

35 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

NC A&T's golf program has been around since fall of 2017, making it one of the newer programs in the country. NC A&T is a HBCU. NC A&T has some international players along with JR and his teams for a roster of 6, all of whom are playing for this team in this tournament at Elon.

As far as I see, using JR Smith's celebrity to raise the profile of a new team in the NCAA Space at a school that is an HBCU in a sport that admittedly has not always been the most friendly to minorities can only be a positive. Much in the same way Steph Curry went out and and basically sponsors Howard's golf team and the PGA Tour announcing that every HBCU team in the country would receive a 10K grant from the tour, this matters to people and it matters to people who have been part of marginalized communities and people who haven't come to golf the way the majority thought they might as part of the Tiger boom.

It's only a good thing that JR is playing, I hope he continues to get better this season and puts some solid golf in to at least allow his voice and name to elevate the stories of these teams around him.

Well said!

Kirkland V3 

33 minutes ago, CRW said:

One who is looking for the coverage.  I think @Berg Rymancovered the why better than I could have.  Like I said, I'm not opposed to him playing, but I think someone(s) are losing out because of it.  Maybe the coverage this brings to the school and their program will pay dividends for others in the long run, but to act like that's not what is going on is disingenuous at best.

I still have a hard time coming to a conclusion one way or another with respect to J.R. displacing other players from the NC A&T team with this one tournament as our only data point... Two of the other four NC A&T golfers only beat him by 3 and 5 strokes respectively. It could have simply been an off weekend for him. We shall see.

Capture.PNG.473b6be1d1734b033874602ff946a6c1.PNG

Edited by Hobert

Kirkland V3 

11 minutes ago, Hobert said:

I still have a hard time coming to a conclusion one way or another with respect to J.R. displacing other players from the NC A&T team with this one tournament as our only data point... Two of the other four NC A&T golfers only beat him by 3 and 5 strokes respectively. It could have simply been an off weekend for him. We shall see.

Capture.PNG.473b6be1d1734b033874602ff946a6c1.PNG

And again, it's worth noting the team only has 6 players, it's not like they have a back-up roster of talent they can pull to like a Oklahoma State or really any d1 team. This is a team in its infancy. If there were other options I'm sure the coach probably exhausted them.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

All I know is that JR is getting hit up by everyone who is underage to buy them beer! Most popular guy on the team!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

If it’s done to get eyes on the program it failed in its first attempt based on the article. 

from the article:

Smith had the sixth-best score out of six players on his team. The Aggies finished 11th in the 13-team field, 57 shots off the pace set by tournament champion Elon.”

that’s a very long winded way of saying he had the worst score. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

13 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

from the article:

Smith had the sixth-best score out of six players on his team. The Aggies finished 11th in the 13-team field, 57 shots off the pace set by tournament champion Elon.”

that’s a very long winded way of saying he had the worst score. 

Essentially, yes. But he did manage to beat two Lasalle golfers...

Kirkland V3 

J.R. also managed to accidentally step on a hornet's nest and get himself stung a few times during his final round. Not a great weekend for sure.

Kirkland V3 

• 1 year later...
On 10/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, Berg Ryman said:

If you are currently playing sports in college and you want to worry less about grades, then I recommend the studydriver service. You can just click here! You will be taken to the service's website and will be able to order a written paper from experts. 

great point