USGA coming after Phil & Bryson

Londo

It's a stupid rule - a solution in search of a problem.  I'm not sure what else to say about it.

• Like 5

Sun Mountain C130-S / Titleist TSi4 8.25* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 TX / Titleist TSi3 14.25* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 TX / New Level NLU-01 18* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5 / New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG TI X100 / Vokey SM8 50,54,58 DGS200 / Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Humble, TX / Right Handed / 10 Handicap / 37.5" 6i @ 61.5* Lie

In a time where pro distances are a known issue, and only one player (Phil) is using a driver longer than 46” - it seems like a no-brainer ruling that shouldn’t be controversial. There have always been equipment limits, no reason a max shaft length shouldn’t be as well. If it’s a big issue, why have so few pros (including Bryson) opted for longer drivers to date? It’s time for Phil to acknowledge he’s a senior after a great career on the PGA like all the greats before him.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Doesn’t solve anything. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This seems like one of the things mentioned in the USGA/R&A Distance Project releases.  They've said they'll explore ways to limit future distance increases, without costing every-day players distance.  As @Middlersays, this change will affect virtually nobody now, but future increases will be slightly limited in one way.  To me its logical, and perfectly fine.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I am absolutely in the camp that its basically a nothing burger, if the USGA believes that this will change anything then they are wrong.

30 minutes ago, Londo said:

I am absolutely in the camp that its basically a nothing burger, if the USGA believes that this will change anything then they are wrong.

The R&A are following through on their stated intention of minimizing future equipment-related distance gains.  I will change very little, but it does cap one method for increasing distance.

• Like 1

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

40 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This seems like one of the things mentioned in the USGA/R&A Distance Project releases.  They've said they'll explore ways to limit future distance increases, without costing every-day players distance.  As @Middlersays, this change will affect virtually nobody now, but future increases will be slightly limited in one way.  To me its logical, and perfectly fine.

Well, it does affect Brooke Henderson now.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

The R&A are following through on their stated intention of minimizing future equipment-related distance gains.  I will change very little, but it does cap one method for increasing distance.

I think in the next 10-15 years there will be a noticeable jump in Tour SS avg as some of the older players retire and the ones joining the tour will be mostly high SS players and current tour pros will have to maintain/increase SS to stay on tour.

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It will only impact her if the USGA and R&A invoke a local rule limiting driver length.  My guess would be that the rule option will be ignored on the women’s side of golf.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, Brooke and Phil, and probably a small number of others.  But in the big scheme of things, only a very small number of players will need to change on January 1.

Just now, cnosil said:

It will only impact her if the USGA and R&A invoke a local rule limiting driver length.  My guess would be that the rule option will be ignored on the women’s side of golf.

The article I read tells us that the USGA will use the MLR for all 14 of their Championships, which would include the women's events.  I don't know about the LPGA Tour, PGA of America events, or R&A events.

• Like 2

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

The article I read tells us that the USGA will use the MLR for all 14 of their Championships, which would include the women's events.  I don't know about the LPGA Tour, PGA of America events, or R&A events.

Thanks for the clarification. Haven’t read any of the detailed articles that discuss actual implementation.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know that the recent "trend" in driver length has been to shorten a little to gain batter accuracy for amateurs.  However, for women and seniors who generally hit the ball mostly straight anyway, there is value in trying a longer driver.  There may be some women and seniors adversely affected in USGA events.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I know that the recent "trend" in driver length has been to shorten a little to gain batter accuracy for amateurs.  However, for women and seniors who generally hit the ball mostly straight anyway, there is value in trying a longer driver.  There may be some women and seniors adversely affected in USGA events.

Well, I guess your Bryson make over is now caputz 

• Haha 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

33 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Well, I guess your Bryson make over is now caputz 

Well, we might weigh close to the same, but his swing speed got faster and mine is getting slower.  🙄

On 10/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kenny B said:

Looking at how much most of the LPGA players choke down on clubs, they could use 50" driver shafts and, technically, meet the new change 🙂. Has the driver shaft length limit always been 48"?  With "tour length" shafts being shorter than the off-the-shelf standard for amateurs, it sounds like very few affected tour players.

I tend to agree that this ruling isn't going to do anything to reduce the average driving distances.  Perhaps their thinking is to stave off any sudden shift from the current play lengths and whatever increase that might add to "the problem"?

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

19 hours ago, Londo said:

I think in the next 10-15 years there will be a noticeable jump in Tour SS avg as some of the older players retire and the ones joining the tour will be mostly high SS players and current tour pros will have to maintain/increase SS to stay on tour.

Nope.  Next on their list of rule changes is "swoleness" or, more specifically, limits associated with it. 🤣  I think you are correct that the trend continues.  Maybe not at the same rate, but longer as the years roll along.  My guess is that the USGA and R&A believe that to be true as well and the 46" driver shaft limit won't be the only distance limit focused change.  My guess is balls.... anyone think otherwise?

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nope.  Next on their list of rule changes is "swoleness" or, more specifically, limits associated with it. 🤣  I think you are correct that the trend continues.  Maybe not at the same rate, but longer as the years roll along.  My guess is that the USGA and R&A believe that to be true as well and the 46" driver shaft limit won't be the only distance limit focused change.  My guess is balls.... anyone think otherwise?

I think the USGA and R&A are ruining the game with these silly rules

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

11 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I think the USGA and R&A are ruining the game with these silly rules

Well, they've always had rules governing equipment.  I recall the COR being "the topic" 20+ years ago and "hot face drivers".  Most other sports have equipment limitations, so in that sense, not really unique.  NASCAR had to start severely limiting cars to make sure they'd stay on the track 😬.  I think what's unique about golf is that there are two things that are significant factors in distance; swoleness and speed training... neither of which has anything to do with equipment.  

• Like 1