TESTERS WANTED! ×

USGA coming after Phil & Bryson

Londo

It's a stupid rule - a solution in search of a problem.  I'm not sure what else to say about it.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

In a time where pro distances are a known issue, and only one player (Phil) is using a driver longer than 46” - it seems like a no-brainer ruling that shouldn’t be controversial. There have always been equipment limits, no reason a max shaft length shouldn’t be as well. If it’s a big issue, why have so few pros (including Bryson) opted for longer drivers to date? It’s time for Phil to acknowledge he’s a senior after a great career on the PGA like all the greats before him.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Doesn’t solve anything. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This seems like one of the things mentioned in the USGA/R&A Distance Project releases.  They've said they'll explore ways to limit future distance increases, without costing every-day players distance.  As @Middlersays, this change will affect virtually nobody now, but future increases will be slightly limited in one way.  To me its logical, and perfectly fine.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

30 minutes ago, Londo said:

I am absolutely in the camp that its basically a nothing burger, if the USGA believes that this will change anything then they are wrong.

The R&A are following through on their stated intention of minimizing future equipment-related distance gains.  I will change very little, but it does cap one method for increasing distance.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

40 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This seems like one of the things mentioned in the USGA/R&A Distance Project releases.  They've said they'll explore ways to limit future distance increases, without costing every-day players distance.  As @Middlersays, this change will affect virtually nobody now, but future increases will be slightly limited in one way.  To me its logical, and perfectly fine.

Well, it does affect Brooke Henderson now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

The R&A are following through on their stated intention of minimizing future equipment-related distance gains.  I will change very little, but it does cap one method for increasing distance.

I think in the next 10-15 years there will be a noticeable jump in Tour SS avg as some of the older players retire and the ones joining the tour will be mostly high SS players and current tour pros will have to maintain/increase SS to stay on tour.

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

It will only impact her if the USGA and R&A invoke a local rule limiting driver length.  My guess would be that the rule option will be ignored on the women’s side of golf.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, Brooke and Phil, and probably a small number of others.  But in the big scheme of things, only a very small number of players will need to change on January 1.

Just now, cnosil said:

It will only impact her if the USGA and R&A invoke a local rule limiting driver length.  My guess would be that the rule option will be ignored on the women’s side of golf.

The article I read tells us that the USGA will use the MLR for all 14 of their Championships, which would include the women's events.  I don't know about the LPGA Tour, PGA of America events, or R&A events.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

The article I read tells us that the USGA will use the MLR for all 14 of their Championships, which would include the women's events.  I don't know about the LPGA Tour, PGA of America events, or R&A events.

Thanks for the clarification. Haven’t read any of the detailed articles that discuss actual implementation.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I know that the recent "trend" in driver length has been to shorten a little to gain batter accuracy for amateurs.  However, for women and seniors who generally hit the ball mostly straight anyway, there is value in trying a longer driver.  There may be some women and seniors adversely affected in USGA events.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I know that the recent "trend" in driver length has been to shorten a little to gain batter accuracy for amateurs.  However, for women and seniors who generally hit the ball mostly straight anyway, there is value in trying a longer driver.  There may be some women and seniors adversely affected in USGA events.

Well, I guess your Bryson make over is now caputz 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

33 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Well, I guess your Bryson make over is now caputz 

Well, we might weigh close to the same, but his swing speed got faster and mine is getting slower.  🙄

Doesn't affect me but it's going to piss somebody off.

Remember the 2010 grooves?

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 10/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, Kenny B said:

Looking at how much most of the LPGA players choke down on clubs, they could use 50" driver shafts and, technically, meet the new change 🙂. Has the driver shaft length limit always been 48"?  With "tour length" shafts being shorter than the off-the-shelf standard for amateurs, it sounds like very few affected tour players.

I tend to agree that this ruling isn't going to do anything to reduce the average driving distances.  Perhaps their thinking is to stave off any sudden shift from the current play lengths and whatever increase that might add to "the problem"?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

19 hours ago, Londo said:

I think in the next 10-15 years there will be a noticeable jump in Tour SS avg as some of the older players retire and the ones joining the tour will be mostly high SS players and current tour pros will have to maintain/increase SS to stay on tour.

Nope.  Next on their list of rule changes is "swoleness" or, more specifically, limits associated with it. 🤣  I think you are correct that the trend continues.  Maybe not at the same rate, but longer as the years roll along.  My guess is that the USGA and R&A believe that to be true as well and the 46" driver shaft limit won't be the only distance limit focused change.  My guess is balls.... anyone think otherwise?

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nope.  Next on their list of rule changes is "swoleness" or, more specifically, limits associated with it. 🤣  I think you are correct that the trend continues.  Maybe not at the same rate, but longer as the years roll along.  My guess is that the USGA and R&A believe that to be true as well and the 46" driver shaft limit won't be the only distance limit focused change.  My guess is balls.... anyone think otherwise?

I think the USGA and R&A are ruining the game with these silly rules

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

11 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I think the USGA and R&A are ruining the game with these silly rules

Well, they've always had rules governing equipment.  I recall the COR being "the topic" 20+ years ago and "hot face drivers".  Most other sports have equipment limitations, so in that sense, not really unique.  NASCAR had to start severely limiting cars to make sure they'd stay on the track 😬.  I think what's unique about golf is that there are two things that are significant factors in distance; swoleness and speed training... neither of which has anything to do with equipment.  

25 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

. Has the driver shaft length limit always been 48"?  With "tour length" shafts being shorter than the off-the-shelf standard for amateurs, it sounds like very few affected tour players.

No,  any length was allowed until 2004 when the 48” max was added along with the head size limitations.  As mentioned in the thread, very few Golfers will be impacted.  Phil and Bryson have been experimenting with longer shafts and Brooke Henderson has used a 48” shaft for years.

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Looking at how much most of the LPGA players choke down on clubs, they could use 50" driver shafts and, technically, meet the new change 🙂. Has the driver shaft length limit always been 48"?  With "tour length" shafts being shorter than the off-the-shelf standard for amateurs, it sounds like very few affected tour players.

I tend to agree that this ruling isn't going to do anything to reduce the average driving distances.  Perhaps their thinking is to stave off any sudden shift from the current play lengths and whatever increase that might have to "the problem"?

It’s been 48” for as long as I can remember. Henderson was the only I knew of that went longer than 46” until phil went 47.5 last year.

They saw what Bryson did at the long drive event and created a scenario in their heads of him doing that on the course despite throughout his entire chase for getting longer his on course swing is slower than his all out swing. 

Im guessing they also see Phil winning 3 of his 4 senior events and don’t want to give the other guys fans go to see have a chance 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I think there will likely be some sort of ball limits eventually, they can’t go back from where they currently are, that’s for sure. Honestly the best thing that could happen would be for tour courses to keep rough longer or plant more trees (ie. true punishments for hitting it 320+ and not worrying about accuracy) but I don’t think it happens. 

For anyone who is surprised at this move from the Ruling Bodies, I suggest you take a look here:

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2021/02/distance-golf-equipment-research-topics-areas-interest-usga-randa.html

I'll quote one small bit from the Proposed Equipment Standards Changes:

Proposal #1: Club length – reduction to 46 inches available as a Model Local Rule (MLR) (Original proposal delivered in 2016 and paused in 2017 due to the Distance Insights Project). Comment period ends on March 4, 2021.

Yeah, this was first considered 5 years ago.  IT was formally brought back in February of this year, two months of comment time for all interested parties, seven months of discussions and considerations.  Even Phil's twitter-rant in September was 6 months after the comment period ended.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My original thought was this is a dumb move, but as @DaveP043 has pointed out a couple times now it was already on the table in order to prohibit further increases in distance. I know I've gone on the record as saying I'm against a full-on rollback, but would be okay if the ruling bodies locked things down where they stand. I'd be a hypocrite to oppose this change.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

It’s all so dumb… When actual SCORES start going down by 10-15 strokes ON AVERAGE year-over-year, let’s think about it, but otherwise it’s ridiculous.

Whatever. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

For everyone opposed to the change, who does this really impact?

We already know most tour pros play a shaft length which is less than "standard" and there's been plenty of discussion here and elsewhere that amateurs would be well served to follow suit.

The only golfers this would appear to impact in any significant way are Bryson (maybe), Phil (sometimes), and Brooke Henderson. So, why such strong arguments against the change? Just because it might eliminate some factor of fun and entertainment for the casual golfer?

giphy.gif (already?)

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Rocky Thompson rolling over in his grave. Google it kids. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

16 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Rocky Thompson rolling over in his grave. Google it kids. 

He rolled over in 2004 when the 52 inch Killer Bee was limited to 48”. 

57 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

For everyone opposed to the change, who does this really impact?

We already know most tour pros play a shaft length which is less than "standard" and there's been plenty of discussion here and elsewhere that amateurs would be well served to follow suit.

The only golfers this would appear to impact in any significant way are Bryson (maybe), Phil (sometimes), and Brooke Henderson. So, why such strong arguments against the change? Just because it might eliminate some factor of fun and entertainment for the casual golfer?

giphy.gif (already?)

My main issue is the ruling bodies doing stuff that doesn’t fix any perceived issue. Other than Phil winning 3 of his 4 champions tours events and one major with the longer driver. His overall results with it in the bag are terrible. The major was the only success he had on the pga tour last season. 

Just like the whole distance issue they claim to have on the Pga tour IMO is more about influence from the big money developers that want to host event at their new courses but feel that longer courses is the only way to build them these days. Like @PMookie said talk to me when scoring average year after year has a significant change.