Built a beast.

RoverRick

A couple weeks from now I have a driver fitting scheduled with the main purpose of being able to try real deal aftermarket shafts in the Ping G410 LST driver that I currently have.  I hit this driver generally pretty well, but would like to try something other than the stock shafts that were available when I was fit into it.

The cost of the driver fitting is a bargain in my mind to use their facility, pay for their time and expertise, use their inventory of expensive shafts, their launch monitors, etc. to try and find a shaft that will allow me to hopefully further improve my dispersion and gain some distance.  

Certainly a lot cheaper, quicker and easier than buying a bunch of expensive shafts and disposing of the losers.

I am certainly willing to try newer head and shaft combinations as well while I’m there. 

But after the fitting if I find a better combination I will most likely just buy the components off of Ebay and install everything my self.  

But based on your experiment I will also try using different weights in the head as well because my Ping Driver has a current swing weight of D7.  Reducing the swing weight might make a difference.

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 6-48

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

I just bought 6, 10, & 20g weights for my Ping G410 LST.  Very interested to see how lighter and heavier versions will affect my swing speed , ball speed, dispersion and backspin numbers. 

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

I went ahead and bought a 7g weight for the Max. That will give me a 27, 17, 7. I’m still playing around with the shafts and weights. Trying to reduce the spin. 

Driver:      :taylormade-small:  SIM2 Max 9° -2° on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 5S

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190 5w  On Fujikura VENTUS Blue 6s

:ping-small:  G425MAX 7w  Flat on Project X Hzrdus Yellow 

:ping-small:  G425MAX  9w  Flat on Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H and 7H Flat on UST ProForce V2 

Irons:     :benhogan-small: ICON Black 7-P on UST Recoil SmacWrap 760

Wedges: :benhogan-small: Equalizer II Black 50°, 54° & 60° on UST Recoil SmacWrap 760

Putter:    :EVNROLL: ER5B

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

The weight change in the LST has been a game changer! I’ve switched to a 6 gram weight instead of the standard 16 gram, and have seen an exponential improvement! Best of all I’m having no trouble closing the face, and my dispersion has improved along with hitting my preferred shape more often.

16gram LST:

158 mph ball speed/ 106-109 mph  club head speed

6 gram LST:

165 mph ball speed/ 110-114 mph club head speed 

• Like 1

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

On my G400MAX, I replaced the Ping Tour shaft with a Mits Diamana 60+, but cut down to 44.5" (I'm 6'), and I'm killing it in the short grass. I have added lead tape in a "V" shape from the weight to the right and left corners of the head in 1" increments, which allows me to adjust the weight and feel until I got it perfect.

• Like 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

I get what fitters are doing with head first, but they have to start somewhere. What I'm getting at is that the head selection is made with a shaft in the club. Given that how can one be sure that the first shaft isnt influencing characteristics that fitters are attributing as head specific. Remember the old ball flight rules?With that in mind I wonder if it's a chicken and egg thing. 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

I recently tried removing the weight from the back of my G425 Max. I’m a slower swinger and have the stock Alta senior flex shaft. After removing the weight, I was averaging about 20 yards longer off the tee, but was hitting a lot more wild shots, including a huge slice. I have never been a slicer. My right miss has always been a big push. Without the weight, the right miss started right and then curved WAY right like Bubba Watson having fun seeing how far he can curve it. 

I am now thinking I will leave the weight out and slowly add lead tape until I find a happy medium and order the weight that is closest to the weight of the lead tape that works best. 

Light weight equals speed. The trick is controlling it. 

Do you happen to have any idea what the swingweight change was?

Thanks!

Driver:  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash, Subzero 9.5°, UST Mamiya Gold 55
5 FW:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 18°, UST Mamiya Gold 55
7 FW:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 18°, UST Mamiya Gold 55
Hybrids 5,6: :ping-small: G400, Mitsubishi C6 Black
Irons 6-PW: Maltby STi2, Aldila NV 55
GW: Maltby LE Forged 52°
SW: Maltby LE Forged 56°
Chipper: :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 42°
Putter: Custom DeChambeau style w/Taylormade Spider style head

I did some experimenting with head weights on the G410+ with an aftermarket Accra shaft last winter.  Bought a few weights off the bay and here are the swingweights for each in my experiment.  It came with the 14g weight and I ended up with a 6g and 3.5g in the toe and center slots. 

3.5g - C7

6g - C9

(2) 3.5g;s - D0

6g + 3.5g - D2

6g _(2)3.5g - D4

14g - D5.5

• Like 1

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:31 PM, Movaltl said:

Do you happen to have any idea what the swingweight change was?

Thanks!

I went by my local golf shop today and had him measure the swing weight.  Without a weight, it is B7😁.  The stock weight is 26 grams.  I ordered a 14 gram weight and with it, the swing weight is C6, so still very low.  Unfortunately, I have misplaced the original weight, so I don't know what the original swing weight was.  You may be able to find out by sending Ping a question.  I have the Alta 65 shaft in senior flex and standard length.

Edit:  Oops.  Make that the Alta 55 shaft in senior flex.

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 9:57 PM, RoverRick said:

Could I get the same performance out of the PING?

So it’s been 3 months since I posted this and started the experiment. I thought I would post my final thoughts on this subject. I bought the shaft, and 2 different weights. So to answer my own question, could I get the same performance out of the Ping? 

I came pretty close to it, however, as this experiment was going on, I was also recovering physically and making some swing changes. I had knee surgery last December and it took until early August to get to where I could play 18 holes with out developing a severe limp. I ended up combine elements of the Single Plane Swing with the open stance of Eureka Golf. The changed my ball flight from a draw to a high fade and I hit up 5 to 6 degrees on the ball. At the time of the TM fitting the fitter told me I was hitting down a half of degree. I’m able to take what I would have considered a 3/4 back swing now, and carry the ball 50 yards further than before. The Ping was 10.5 degrees and I ultimately swapped it for a SIM2 Max 9 degrees and have had it turned down 2 degrees. 

So while I did not increase my swing speed drastically, I did greatly improve my launch conditions. I have begun to increase my swing speed but the major change has been the launch conditions. Neither 10.5 would be good for me now, but this was a fun experiment and reinforces the “get properly fit for your clubs” mantra. 

I had a putter fitting last week, and Monday that putter arrives. I have new irons, and hybrids and last year new higher lofted fairway metals. I plan on posting a new What’s in the bag thread and why I choose what I did.

• Like 3

Wedges: :benhogan-small: Equalizer II Black 50°, 54° & 60° on UST Recoil SmacWrap 760

@RoverRickJust for clarification after reading through this thread. Are you saying that all heads produce the same distance, regardless of which model, regardless of brand, and it’s only the weighting of the various shafts, the heads, or the type of various shafts themselves that create the distance differences?

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

@PMookieNo. I’m saying that originally I went to the G425MAX because I had swing issues(physical issues) and could not find the center of the face. The Ping was much more forgiving than my older M5. Then as time moved on and my physical issues allowed me to make better swings, my Ping, while still finding the fairway, fell out of favor. I didn’t feel like I was getting the distance for the effort. I had Ping G425Max Driver, 7&9 woods and 6 Hybrid, G410 3&5 woods, i500 6-P irons. I never loved the driver the way I did the 7&9 and 6H. 

I went to a TM fitting at my club and got excellent performance out of the SIM2 Max. It was the TM Reps comment of it was how much faster the ball speed was coming off the TM vs the Ping and attributing it to “Hotter Face”. I thought that was BS, and I attributed it to the lighter shaft and head weight and overall “fit” vs just the superior face. I set out to see if I could improve the performance and get similar distance out of the Ping by changing shafts and weights in the back. 

I played the TM and Ping side by side for a couple of months. The TM was a 9 set to standard and the Ping was a 10.5 set to 9. These were vastly different heads and I always felt the Ping spun too much for me. The TM was better in looks, sound, and feel and had more of a fade bias while the Ping was more of a draw bias and more forgiving and so easy to hit off the deck, but I didn’t prefer the sound or looks at address. BUT in terms of hit fairways and distance to the pin there was no real difference. Both performed well when set up similarly. 

The big difference came when I turned the SIM2 down 2 degrees and hit up more on it. I couldn’t do that with the Ping, but if I would have bought a 10.5 SIM2 I couldn’t have done that either. 

Also, I didn’t have launch monitor numbers. I just went by hitting them side by side on the few days I could slip out to the course during the week. (and had to make good swings with both.) I’m pretty sure if I would have done this like I just did my putter and sought professional supervision, I could have come up with the best driver for me in less time (and perhaps cheaper.) But where is the fun in that. However, I sold the Ping and used the proceeds to buy an Evnroll ER5B (after being properly fitted). 

I will correct something I stated in the last post. I said I have not drastically increased my swing speed. Truthfully, I have no idea. I probably have increased my speed, it is just that I have reduced the effort in my swing which probably increased my swing speed where it counts. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, PMookie said:

@RoverRickJust for clarification after reading through this thread. Are you saying that all heads produce the same distance, regardless of which model, regardless of brand, and it’s only the weighting of the various shafts, the heads, or the type of various shafts themselves that create the distance differences?

After further review perhaps this was a yes answer. I did say that all faces produce the same ball speed or at least rebound. The TM reps statement about the TM face being hotter was what I called BS on. Not because TM couldn’t make one, but because that particular variable is limited by the USGA and most OEM’s are at the max.  What I am really saying is from lead tape on the toe, to weight in the grip, there are thinks that affect the performance of the club. 

Lots of assumptions in here.

Distance being discussed is based on total and not carry. Which both can be achieved in various ways. Comparing two setups with no data one has no idea how much roll if any is why a ball went a certain distance. There’s no comparison on any of the actual launch conditions.

As for all drivers producing same ball speed that’s not true. I’ve been on launch monitors comparing drivers and have watched many. I’ve seen anywhere from 2-5 mph just between TaylorMade models and upwards of 7 between various brands using the same loft and shafts. I’ve seen the g400 be faster than the g410 and g425

I’ve watched my fitter hit the epic against the sim and the sim be 2-3mph faster 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

47 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

After further review perhaps this was a yes answer. I did say that all faces produce the same ball speed or at least rebound. The TM reps statement about the TM face being hotter was what I called BS on. Not because TM couldn’t make one, but because that particular variable is limited by the USGA and most OEM’s are at the max.  What I am really saying is from lead tape on the toe, to weight in the grip, there are thinks that affect the performance of the club. 

Ok, thanks! The only thing I’d say to this is you mention TXG in a post. TXG has done NUMEROUS videos where Matt hits drivers using the same exact shaft, weighting, grip, etc, and the numbers are quite different, so there is ample evidence to show “heads are the same” simply isn’t true. Are the rules about CT the same for all heads? Yes, but that doesn’t mean that one head isn’t going to produce higher ball speeds than another, or create more spin than another, etc. Evidence of this is even in the multiple options from each OEM. A TSi2 isn’t going to produce the same ball speeds vs a TSi3, or TSi4 automatically, even if the shafts and weighting are the same. How a player delivers the head, shown all the time on TXG, makes a difference in output. Again, proven all across the internet. Take a look at MGS driver testing. Wouldn’t all testers who try the same head and stock shaft, who swing the same speed, have identical numbers across tested heads? If so, why don’t their numbers all match-up?

I get where you’re going, and from the CT standpoint I get your premise, but if all heads produced the same speeds, and shafts/weighting we’re the only difference maker, TXG wouldn’t even have a channel. 

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

15 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As for all drivers producing same ball speed that’s not true. I’ve been on launch monitors comparing drivers and have watched many. I’ve seen anywhere from 2-5 mph just between TaylorMade models and upwards of 7 between various brands using the same loft and shafts. I’ve seen the g400 be faster than the g410 and g425

Definitely true.   I am hitting lots of drivers as part of most wanted testing and have been watching ball speed especially with the TM claims.   Depending on driver I am seeing ball speeds from 149-158.  Why does it vary?  My guess is due to inconsistent strikes and how I react to the club itself.  Also, the different drivers can have wildly different loft and shaft configurations to get toward optimal conditions.  Also different drivers seem to be better setup for specific misses; meaning one could be better high toe and another low heel.   

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was saying The FACE is the same speed (Limited COR) Not the overall head. Also the same shaft doesn’t necessarily fit the same head. I would guess with other resources I could have different results, and I have a friend who has a Ping that got pretty much the opposite results from me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RoverRick said:

I was saying The FACE is the same speed (Limited COR) Not the overall head. Also the same shaft doesn’t necessarily fit the same head. I would guess with other resources I could have different results, and I have a friend who has a Ping that got pretty much the opposite results from me. 

Despite the COR/CT being determined that doesn’t mean ball speeds are going to be the same across all drivers. 

And yes unless you have the same shaft with either a universal adapter or have multiples of the same shaft with the appropriate adapter for the heads being tested you wouldn’t be able to test that. I have and have watched others do it so an apples to apples comparison compared to the testing done in this thread 

• Love 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, cnosil said:

While the latest model may not be better, I think head design has a bigger influence than shaft.  From my experience the wrong head design can not be fixed with a different shaft.  Shaft is definitely important to help deliver the club properly but it won’t make a low spinning head have more spin. 

That is especially true if the heel-toe weight distribution of two heads being compared is significantly different. Heel weighting closes the face and toe weighting opens it. Most modern heads have fairly low centers of gravity so a difference there would be rare. A few have a COG closer to the face which also makes the club play way differently. even with the same shaft. Weighting toward the face makes a driver swing feel more like an iron and tends to keep the face open longer.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

8 hours ago, RoverRick said:

Face has the POTENTIAL to have the same speed, but they don’t. 

• Like 1