Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report- Titleist Pro V 1

Golfspy_CG2

This is probably truly a case of saving the best for last, or well maybe near the last.  No surprises here, but it's always nice to know that a company that touts quality is living up to it.

https://mygolfspy.com/titleist-pro-v1-review/#comment-696521

Titleist_Pro_V1_alt2.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

30 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is probably truly a case of saving the best for last, or well maybe near the last.  No surprises here, but it's always nice to know that a company that touts quality is living up to it.

https://mygolfspy.com/titleist-pro-v1-review/#comment-696521

Titleist_Pro_V1_alt2.jpg

This now pushes the top 6 as all Titleist, talk about someone living up to the hype

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Good thing I picked up 4 dozen from lost golf balls

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Obviously someone is getting paid under the table to push Titleist golf balls!

There, now that's out of the way as a crazed response, here's the takeaway I have. Titleist does what they say they're going to do. If you are looking for a consistent ball and one of them happen to be the best fit for what you're looking for in a ball, congrats and know you're going to going to get a quality ball across the board. I also think we need to maybe have a non-Titleist award for some companies because it's clear there's levels to this game and Titleist is just above everyone else at the minute.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

2 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

There, now that's out of the way as a crazed response, here's the takeaway I have.

🤣🤣🤣

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

24 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

There, now that's out of the way as a crazed response, here's the takeaway I have. Titleist does what they say they're going to do. If you are looking for a consistent ball and one of them happen to be the best fit for what you're looking for in a ball, congrats and know you're going to going to get a quality ball across the board. I also think we need to maybe have a non-Titleist award for some companies because it's clear there's levels to this game and Titleist is just above everyone else at the minute.

Maybe a Flighted Testing 🙂 

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Maybe a Flighted Testing 🙂 

Like, it seems that way Rob, a Titleist division and a not Titleist division, and this is not a slam on other companies, it just seems like the process by the boys in Massachusetts just dwarfs for consistency any other company.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

5 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Like, it seems that way Rob, a Titleist division and a not Titleist division, and this is not a slam on other companies, it just seems like the process by the boys in Massachusetts just dwarfs for consistency any other company.

Yep, and truly not trying to hype them here, but the fact that nearly 80% of all pro tour players play their ball, says something, and I don't want to hear--not from you but the critics--that it's pay to play doing that.    It really isn't  they are by far the top choice of non contracted players playing their ball and it's more than the others combined.   When you are at that level, and heck any level you want to be confident the ball you are playing is round and not defective inside.   it's simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I saw Tony's tweet yesterday about how Titleist and Foremost are running away with the Ball Lab results for quality. I really want to make a comment about how 'if Tour players are ok playing lower-quality balls, then it must be good enough for me,' but I know that the Tour player shipments are getting extra inspection. For example, and apologies that I can't pull the source anymore because it disappears after 24 hours, but Srixon re-posted a story on Instagram that showed boxes and boxes of Z-Star XVs that were all stamped "Tour Inspected," so presumably they're not going to get the same percentage of "bad" balls that Tony is finding. 

I love the XV and I love the MTB-X, but I can't help but wonder if the consistency in my game of late is because I was given a couple dozen ProV1x balls and I really just haven't had any squirrely shots, other than the ones I know I mis-hit. (Or am I just in a stretch of playing well and I wouldn't have any issue with XVs either? Who knows...)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

12 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I saw Tony's tweet yesterday about how Titleist and Foremost are running away with the Ball Lab results for quality. I really want to make a comment about how 'if Tour players are ok playing lower-quality balls, then it must be good enough for me,' but I know that the Tour player shipments are getting extra inspection. For example, and apologies that I can't pull the source anymore because it disappears after 24 hours, but Srixon re-posted a story on Instagram that showed boxes and boxes of Z-Star XVs that were all stamped "Tour Inspected," so presumably they're not going to get the same percentage of "bad" balls that Tony is finding. 

I love the XV and I love the MTB-X, but I can't help but wonder if the consistency in my game of late is because I was given a couple dozen ProV1x balls and I really just haven't had any squirrely shots, other than the ones I know I mis-hit. (Or am I just in a stretch of playing well and I wouldn't have any issue with XVs either? Who knows...)

Good shots are you,  Bad Shots are the club or balls.  I've gone with that theory for several years 🙂

6 minutes ago, greggarner said:

See Greg, that's kind of where I am in my search to compare the Ball Lab Data with my game and what I need. Like V1X just works and I'd love to try the Wilson Staff Model as that ball appears to be pretty similar and even a little higher spinning which for me is a Yahtzee as a low spin player... but then I think about consistency and that there really isn't a difference in price between them to force me away from V1X. They just make an all around solid ball and when you factor in the buy 3 get 1 special that gets cost down to 37.50 a box, it's hard to say no.

SIK Golf Flo-C

No surprises in the report. The prov1 is the ball that really changes the ball and everyone is just second loser

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Good shots are you,  Bad Shots are the club or balls.  I've gone with that theory for several years 🙂

I totally agree Rob!

There is never any user error when you are low to mid handicapper… 🤣🤣🤣

We always hit it flush and with a tour trajectory if it wasn’t for anomalies with our golf ball. 😂😂😂

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

There’s a reason Titleist maintains a death grip on the "No. 1 ball in golf" title year after year after year: Its products perform. Best of all, the company continually pushes the innovation envelope. The ProV1 is all that it’s cracked up to be, delivering top-notch distance, playability and greenside spin.🎤

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

9 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I wonder if Rory will move back to a Titleist ball at some point.    His comments about the older prov1's in the wind are no longer accurate

Considering he selected TM based on ball and club combo performance I doubt it, also he’s under contract to play the ball, doubt he breaks that.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, Tsecor said:

I wonder if Rory will move back to a Titleist ball at some point.    His comments about the older prov1's in the wind are no longer accurate

Until someone can quantify ("bad") ball performance with SG data, there is no motivation to change for Tour Pros who often get balls that have additional QC checks or special edition balls. Pro V's haven't won any majors over the past 2 years... Koepka and Woodland in 2019 and Reed in 18 are the most recent examples examples. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

$omething make$ me pretty $ure he won't $witch back

7 wins including the tour championship and the players with Tm in the bag. Contract money plus on course earning have him doing pretty well. 

We had something interesting happen here with the members.  They found the Bridgestone spins better for them and folks are starting to drift to the dark side.  I am not a high spin player but switched to Bridgestone years ago when the NXT Tours went over 30 bucks a dozen.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:56 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Considering he selected TM based on ball and club combo performance I doubt it, also he’s under contract to play the ball, doubt he breaks that.

You saw Rory use a Cameron putter when he went overseas.....he has made his money so i would not be shocked to see him change and do whatever he wants.  From Titleist to Nike to TaylorMade.....he isnt adverse to change, thats for sure

Golf is cool

8 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

You saw Rory use a Cameron putter when he went overseas.....he has made his money so i would not be shocked to see him change and do whatever he wants.  From Titleist to Nike to TaylorMade.....he isnt adverse to change, thats for sure

Didn't he change from Nike because they stopped making equipment? Don't think he changed for the sake of it. 

Putter is also the club most commonly not a part of club deals due to the personal nature and some guys using the same putter forever. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

13 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

The putter has always been a spot in the bag that’s he tinkered with and when he signed with TaylorMade he didn’t put one in the bag because he didn’t like any of them and that tinkering has continued. He prefers a lower spinning ball and signed with TM because of the ball as well as how the ball performed with the equipment. He’s winning with that combo and it’s the putter that usually gets in his way of winning. 

1 minute ago, BMart519 said:

Didn't he change from Nike because they stopped making equipment? Don't think he changed for the sake of it. 

Putter is also the club most commonly not a part of club deals due to the personal nature and some guys using the same putter forever. 

yeah he tinkered with Callaway for a bit with going back to the titleist ball because of familiarity. He then spent time with Tm and decide on their gear because of performance. The 10 year $100 million probavky had a role in it too because from what I’ve heard the crew at callaway didn’t want to pay that.

31 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The putter has always been a spot in the bag that’s he tinkered with and when he signed with TaylorMade he didn’t put one in the bag because he didn’t like any of them and that tinkering has continued. He prefers a lower spinning ball and signed with TM because of the ball as well as how the ball performed with the equipment. He’s winning with that combo and it’s the putter that usually gets in his way of winning. 

yeah he tinkered with Callaway for a bit with going back to the titleist ball because of familiarity. He then spent time with Tm and decide on their gear because of performance. The 10 year $100 million probavky had a role in it too because from what I’ve heard the crew at callaway didn’t want to pay that.

Many players use their irons for years and years.....Rory could have continued to use his Nike irons, but he got big money from TM.

Rory does NOT prefer a lower spinning ball. . He switched from TP5X to TP5 because of Tigers influence in 2020, see below. 

Rory likes TP5 over TP5X

We know he went back to the TP5x for 2021 but keep in mind the 2021 TP5X is very similar to the 2019 TP5.....while the 2021 TP5 is MUCH more of a spin monster with lower compression than the earlier version. 

These guys are such perfectionists and im sure if something else can improve his game, he will shred a contract to use whatever he wants. He has always been a rebel of sorts. Now that he has his money, i can see him changing quite easily.....but only if it works better for him

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

53 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Many players use their irons for years and years.....Rory could have continued to use his Nike irons, but he got big money from TM.

Rory does NOT prefer a lower spinning ball. . He switched from TP5X to TP5 because of Tigers influence in 2020, see below. 

Rory likes TP5 over TP5X

We know he went back to the TP5x for 2021 but keep in mind the 2021 TP5X is very similar to the 2019 TP5.....while the 2021 TP5 is MUCH more of a spin monster with lower compression than the earlier version. 

These guys are such perfectionists and im sure if something else can improve his game, he will shred a contract to use whatever he wants. He has always been a rebel of sorts. Now that he has his money, i can see him changing quite easily.....but only if it works better for him

He signed with TaylorMade the year titleist swapped the designs of the prov1 and prov1x. He hasn’t messed with those versions of the ball. He didn’t think about going to the Prov1 with the new designs if they balls in 2019.

There is zero evidence that he would consider switching to the newest designs so your speculations is based on purely personal experience with the ball that also has zero correlation to how they would perform for a golfer of Rory’s ability.

Outside of his messing with putters because of varying issues with his stroke there’s nothing in his use of equipment that he would break contract to play a different ball or club that isn’t a putter from another brand. He played with Poulter this year at tem he Ryder cup and I don’t recall what ball they used but he probably had the chance to mess with it in practice rounds. If he was going to switch it try it he would have done so already 

On 10/27/2021 at 12:15 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

He signed with TaylorMade the year titleist swapped the designs of the prov1 and prov1x. He hasn’t messed with those versions of the ball. He didn’t think about going to the Prov1 with the new designs if they balls in 2019.

There is zero evidence that he would consider switching to the newest designs so your speculations is based on purely personal experience with the ball that also has zero correlation to how they would perform for a golfer of Rory’s ability.

Outside of his messing with putters because of varying issues with his stroke there’s nothing in his use of equipment that he would break contract to play a different ball or club that isn’t a putter from another brand. He played with Poulter this year at tem he Ryder cup and I don’t recall what ball they used but he probably had the chance to mess with it in practice rounds. If he was going to switch it try it he would have done so already 

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about?? How do you know what Rory thought? lol.....

Nobody said he would consider switching, it was just a thought.....

this is just a bizarre post to a light hearted discussion.....not sure why you are on the attack but i'll move on from here and you can post whatever you wish. 

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

8 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about?? How do you know what Rory thought? lol.....

Nobody said he would consider switching, it was just a thought.....

this is just a bizarre post to a light hearted discussion.....not sure why you are on the attack but i'll move on from here and you can post whatever you wish. 

hope this thread gets locked

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool