TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Golf Grips and why....go!

epicgolfshot

Which golf grip (excluding putter) is your favorite?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Select your favorite

Ive had some really bad experiences with grips (z-cord literally shredded by palm) and wanted to get peoples feedback on the grips they use and why?

Edited by epicgolfshot

If you love golf course photography check out IG @epicgolfshot

I generally use whatever comes on the club.   When it wears out I but what is on sale. The only gripe I didn’t like were black widow but every thing else has held up well.  I have tried grips from hireko house brand to iomic.   Typically I pick Lamkin cross line or golf pride tour velvet.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, epicgolfshot said:

@cnosilWhat did you think of Iomic? Ive heard people say they dont wear out or lose tackyness - how is that even possible?

I have the Iomics on my driver and hybrids and like them a lot.  I got some samples which is why I put them on my clubs about 2 months ago so I have no long term experience.   They probably hold up better because of the material they are made from.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't like grips that are too rough on the hands. 

Right now, i am using Jumbomax Ultralite XS because it aligns with the philosophies of the One plane swing program i am working with

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

The ones that feel right in your hands.

Im a golf pride snob and use nothing else. I change between ndmc/mcc and the new z grip with the occasional tour wrap

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

31 minutes ago, epicgolfshot said:

@cnosilWhat did you think of Iomic? Ive heard people say they dont wear out or lose tackyness - how is that even possible?

I've been using Iomic grips for maybe 10 years, I don't plan on changing.  They DO wear, I can see worn spots on my 3-year old grips.  But they remain tacky, even when worn.  I've never had a better grip in the rain, when combined with rain gloves I never have a problem.  Price-wise, they're in the $11 to $15 range, similar to many of the top-level grips, but as I say at 2 or even 3 years old, they're still "grippy".

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I use GP MCC+4 exclusively because I can use them in all kinds of weather without a glove. Also while somewhat soft they wear well through 150+ rounds a year

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I change my grips pretty much every season and tend to try before I buy. SO I will get a couple of grips and re-grip my 6i and play with it for a month or 2 and decide if I stay or change.

Couple of years ago I tried Winn DriTac normal and the Lite and really liked the normal grip, I've subsequently moved to the less taper version that was released this year, why?

Pros

1. They are soft feel and comfortable in my hands
  2. Give good grip on the club (most of the time)
  3. Aesthetically a wide choice of colours to match my head covers/bag
  4. Relatively good wearing

Cons

1. On the occasion that we get rain and the grips get wet they seem to be slippier than MC4+ or Lamkin Crossline.
    1. I use washing up liquid to clean the grips and I think this was getting trapped in the grips.
    2. I have now started to use a pair of rain gloves that have sorted the problem
  2. If I re-grip a club and the old grip is still in good condition, I try to save the grip. With the DriTac forget it, it pretty much rips apart.
    1. We have 3 golfers in the house so they can get my cast offs, if and when required 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

6 minutes ago, epicgolfshot said:

@Alf. S have you tried out IOmic grips?

On my to do list in the off season. Got one in the garage ready to go. This might prompt me to do it this week. 

One issue is price $4/grip difference from my UK supplier across a set that's enough to get a box of Pro V1s.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

22 minutes ago, epicgolfshot said:

@dlow206thanks for the feedback. Are you a Grave Golf (single plane swing) student?

No, i work with Kirk Junge who has a modified version of the single plane

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Brand new GP Tour Wraps are my favorite.  Very sticky.  Unfortunately, the stickiness doesn't long.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 minute ago, epicgolfshot said:

@RickyBobby_PR so you buy in to the GP's - 'regrip every year mantra' I know that is true for their grips but feels a little bit like the phone industry having your handset 'wear out' annually 🤔

For replacement it really depends on the amount of use the grips gets and how well someone maintains them. I don’t tend to keep clubs long enough to replace the grips but if I practice and play a lot during a season and the club is in my bad the next year they usually get regripped because they have losses the tackiness. 

Cleaning them with something like gripes or mild soap and water will usually extend them a bit longer.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@RickyBobby_PRthis is true Im definitely not in a place where Id need to replace my clubs before the grips wear out, but supposedly IOmic are in a different league when it comes to wear and from what Im told they can guarantee the feel (tackiness) of the grip for life!

If you love golf course photography check out IG @epicgolfshot

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For replacement it really depends on the amount of use the grips gets and how well someone maintains them. I don’t tend to keep clubs long enough to replace the grips but if I practice and play a lot during a season and the club is in my bad the next year they usually get regripped because they have losses the tackiness. 

Cleaning them with something like gripes or mild soap and water will usually extend them a bit longer.

😀

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

After reading about them many times over a couple years, I finally took the plunge and tried leather grips.  I bought a couple Best Grips MIcroperfs and a couple GripMaster Roos and put them on a couple clubs.

They are the Real Deal.

They're tacky when moisture enters the equation, even if it's just the humidity in the air.  My grip on the club is ultra secure.  We get pretty humid up here in summer, with 10,000+ lakes around, I've had zero trouble with the leather in play.  I've put them on every club in my bag now.  

I ultimately chose the Roo grip (kangaroo leather), but also installed Kidd grips on another set, and a couple Master Perforated grips on the odd club.  All have been completely awesome.  They have varying levels of tack to them, but once the humidity kicks in, or there's a bit of moisture present, they're on the job.  I used to worry about taking a drink of liquid in the summer, from the condensation on the bottles, it's 0% on my mind, now.  

Leather grips are pricey, but they last a long time.  Cost ratio definitely on the plus side.

I count them as definitely worth a look.  

Side note:  I use an air compressor to install my grips, so I can remove them if I decide it's time to sell a club, or even just quit using it.  Just pop the grip off the club, move it to another.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I play with Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2Gs or Wynn Excels.

Because I don't wear a glove, that's the only style of grip that I like and find comfortable..

If I order a new club, I order it with one of those, and if I acquire a club another way, I re-grip it before I play it.

NYJyzr gives me interesting  thoughts with his comments about real leather, but the synthetic stuff has been working ok for me.

But I'm not a DIY guy, unfortunately.    I have it regripped in the pro shop.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I personally buy only grips made in the good old USA. In the past I was a distributor for Pure Grips, Star Grips both of which are in Arizona and also sold Tacki Mac which are made in the Houston area. Pure warrants theirs for 2 years and Star for 3 years. I converted all the guys I play golf with to either Pure or Star and all love them. The only problem with both is they just didn't want to wear out. When I buy new clubs, I have them ship the clubs sans grips or just put them in the box but don't install them. I then sell them on EBay. Just food for thought. I really believe we need to buy more USA made products.

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

I won a set of Lamkin Sonor Mid grips and found I really like them

Prior to them the fitter had said that I should have jumbo based on my hand side but I found them too large. So part of my like is due to them being a better size than my last grips.

I had Sonor installed again when I bought new irons this year and will stick with them for the next set too.

They stay really tacky even after a few seasons. They get about 50-60 rounds a year (including 4 months indoor golf during our inifinite winter here in Saskatchewan).

Titleist TSR2 Driver, Taylaor Made M5-3w, M6-3H,4H, Sim2 5-PW, Vokey SM9  50,54, 58 

Just my opinion - I recommend Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack.  Long lasting and easy to restore with a wipe.

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie). Callaway Apex Smoke 4-AW 1" long 3* upright Regular graphite shafts

b. Driver specs (loft/flex). Titleist TiS1 Senior Flex

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed). Right handed

d. Where You Live Jefferson, GA

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score. 18.6 index

f. Putter - Too many to list! But all are fitted with FlatCat grip.

I've been regripping my own clubs and regripping for friends for over 30 years.

For a "normal" grip, my go-to is the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Cord +4. Midsize for me. I think the MCC +4 is the best grip available. Except for...

What I actually use personally is the JumboMax JMX UltraLite, Small.

Over the decades I've gone from one wrap of buildup tape, to two, to three, to a midsize grip, to what is traditionally known as a "jumbo", (1/8" over), to the JumboMax XS, and now to the small. I've tried the medium, but that's over the line for me. Although I will admit that the small is now starting to feel a little "smallish."

Seriously, if you've never tried a JumboMax grip, give it a try. It will soften your forearms and wrists, and relax your whole swing.

28 minutes ago, one0wonder said:

I personally buy only grips made in the good old USA. In the past I was a distributor for Pure Grips, Star Grips both of which are in Arizona and also sold Tacki Mac which are made in the Houston area. Pure warrants theirs for 2 years and Star for 3 years. I converted all the guys I play golf with to either Pure or Star and all love them. The only problem with both is they just didn't want to wear out. When I buy new clubs, I have them ship the clubs sans grips or just put them in the box but don't install them. I then sell them on EBay. Just food for thought. I really believe we need to buy more USA made products.

Just to add to the two Pure users here. Everything they said plus I can install, adjust and remove them easily myself with air pressure. I have some Pure grips that are 5 years old and no wear as far as I can tell. I use the Pure Jumbo wraps and they work great with my arthritic hands. Only issue some may have with the Jumbos is they are a bit heavy, but that's not a big deal me.

Pete

Just put the Lamkin Sinkfit Sonar+ on my irons. Fantastic feel. Going to put them on my woods.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips