Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Best Golf Grips and why....go!

epicgolfshot

Which golf grip (excluding putter) is your favorite?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Select your favorite

The first set of clubs I got, I had regrouped with Golf Pride MCC+4 grips after taking the quiz on their website. 

• Pros: I really like the hybrid texture and feel of the thicker top hand because it feels most similar to a baseball bat (I played through college). I felt I had control of the clubs with enough texture that my grip wouldn’t slip, but not too much that I would destroy my hands.
  • Cons: The only downsides are they are expensive and the extra buildup of rubber to simulate extra tape wraps changes the swingweight by a couple of points compared to just using extra tape. 

Since, I’ve tried Winn Dri-Tac, Tour Velvet, CP2 Wrap, the regular MCC, Tour Velvet Align, Tour Velvet 360, Larkin UTX cord, and Z-Cord.

Of all of these, my favorite is the Tour Velvet 360 and the one I have on my irons in midsize with 3 extra wraps of tape on the bottom hand. 

• Pros: Soft and tacky, with good feedback on the hands. The texture is a little rougher than the regular tour velvet, but the rubber is softer so it doesn’t cut into my hands like other grips. 
  • Cons: small particles can get stuck in the texture

Thoughts on the other grips:

Winn Dri-Tac

• Pros: soft and tacky, really nice to hold, especially on a grip sample rack that golf shops have
  • Cons: too soft and squishy and no texture, making it hard to swing. Maybe a good grip for irons, or wedges, but I had it on a driver and felt like I was going to slip every time. Not my favorite for swinging. 

Tour Velvet

• Pros: super affordable, a little texture, right amount of feedback 
  • Cons: I might have gotten bad batches of these, but I’ve had 3 different Tour Velvets on different clubs and have not liked any of them. I’m not sure what it is, but they always feel like there is a film of dust on them. I’ve cleaned them and wetted them before a round but they always feel like they are dirty. Also, the last time I played in some light rain the one club that has the tour velvet was the only club that slipped out of my hand in about 75 swings.

Tour Velvet Align

• Pros: The ridge is moderately helpful. This version seemed to be a different kind of rubber that was more like the rubber on a basketball shoe and harder than the regular. That made it a bit more tacky when wet than the regular tour velvet, but it also seemed to attract dirt easily. 
  • Cons: the ridge didn’t seem helpful enough for me to justify spending a little extra it

Z-Cord

• Pros: great texture and feedback. That light rain round I mentioned, this grip was fantastic. Highly recommend for those in humid areas or that play in wet conditions often. This grip stays in your hand. 
  • Cons: I t’s a really firm grip with a lot of texture. I agree with OP that it can do a number on your hand. Good thing is I have it on my SW (stock Mizuno T20) so I maybe take a full swing with it once a month. 

CP2 Wrap

• Pros: tacky and soft but with a little texture that puts it above the Dri-Tac, slightly built up lower hand to reduce taper
  • Cons: tackiness goes away quickly and there is not enough texture, plus it attracts dust and dirt easily since it is fairly tacky

MCC

• Pros: same as the plus 4
  • Cons: this may be particular to me, but I found this one wore down easily, especially after cleaning. The rubber gets really hard and the texture goes always. Plus, I prefer the plus 4 version more. 

UTX Cord

• Pros: really good texture on the hands without being too rough and good feedback from shots
  • Cons: not a very tacky grip, and the cord really holds onto oil from hands. The places where I usually grip would be sort of slick even with cleaning after a round

Driver:titleist-small: TSR3 9° (Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X)

Woods: (3W:titleist-small: TSi2 15° (Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7S); (7W:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 21° (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S) 

4 Hybrid:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 22° (Fujikura Ventus Blue HY 80S)

5i-6i:taylormade-small: P770 (Nippon Modus3 105 S)

7i-PW:Miura: CB-301 (Nippon Modus3 105 S) 

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 50 S & 54 S (Nippon Modus3 105 S); Glide Forged Eye2 59 (Nippon Ping Z-Z115)

Putter:odyssey-small: Toulon Design Las Vegas H7 (BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar)

All Clubs Equipped with :Arccos:

All my clubs (sans the putter) have Golf Pride Tour Wrap (mid-size) grips.  They are softer than most grips and tacky (when clean) which keeps the club feeling secure in my hands without needing to squeeze at all.  My putter is a Two Thumb grip (out of the UK) that is flat on top and bottom and quite wide, comfortably accommodating both hands using my putting prayer grip (how appropriate).    

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

6 minutes ago, DJ Mico said:

The first set of clubs I got, I had regrouped with Golf Pride MCC+4 grips after taking the quiz on their website. 

• Pros: I really like the hybrid texture and feel of the thicker top hand because it feels most similar to a baseball bat (I played through college). I felt I had control of the clubs with enough texture that my grip wouldn’t slip, but not too much that I would destroy my hands.
  • Cons: The only downsides are they are expensive and the extra buildup of rubber to simulate extra tape wraps changes the swingweight by a couple of points compared to just using extra tape. 

Since, I’ve tried Winn Dri-Tac, Tour Velvet, CP2 Wrap, the regular MCC, Tour Velvet Align, Tour Velvet 360, Larkin UTX cord, and Z-Cord.

Of all of these, my favorite is the Tour Velvet 360 and the one I have on my irons in midsize with 3 extra wraps of tape on the bottom hand. 

• Pros: Soft and tacky, with good feedback on the hands. The texture is a little rougher than the regular tour velvet, but the rubber is softer so it doesn’t cut into my hands like other grips. 
  • Cons: small particles can get stuck in the texture

Thoughts on the other grips:

Winn Dri-Tac

• Pros: soft and tacky, really nice to hold, especially on a grip sample rack that golf shops have
  • Cons: too soft and squishy and no texture, making it hard to swing. Maybe a good grip for irons, or wedges, but I had it on a driver and felt like I was going to slip every time. Not my favorite for swinging. 

Tour Velvet

• Pros: super affordable, a little texture, right amount of feedback 
  • Cons: I might have gotten bad batches of these, but I’ve had 3 different Tour Velvets on different clubs and have not liked any of them. I’m not sure what it is, but they always feel like there is a film of dust on them. I’ve cleaned them and wetted them before a round but they always feel like they are dirty. Also, the last time I played in some light rain the one club that has the tour velvet was the only club that slipped out of my hand in about 75 swings.

Tour Velvet Align

• Pros: The ridge is moderately helpful. This version seemed to be a different kind of rubber that was more like the rubber on a basketball shoe and harder than the regular. That made it a bit more tacky when wet than the regular tour velvet, but it also seemed to attract dirt easily. 
  • Cons: the ridge didn’t seem helpful enough for me to justify spending a little extra it

Z-Cord

• Pros: great texture and feedback. That light rain round I mentioned, this grip was fantastic. Highly recommend for those in humid areas or that play in wet conditions often. This grip stays in your hand. 
  • Cons: I t’s a really firm grip with a lot of texture. I agree with OP that it can do a number on your hand. Good thing is I have it on my SW (stock Mizuno T20) so I maybe take a full swing with it once a month. 

CP2 Wrap

• Pros: tacky and soft but with a little texture that puts it above the Dri-Tac, slightly built up lower hand to reduce taper
  • Cons: tackiness goes away quickly and there is not enough texture, plus it attracts dust and dirt easily since it is fairly tacky

MCC

• Pros: same as the plus 4
  • Cons: this may be particular to me, but I found this one wore down easily, especially after cleaning. The rubber gets really hard and the texture goes always. Plus, I prefer the plus 4 version more. 

UTX Cord

• Pros: really good texture on the hands without being too rough and good feedback from shots
  • Cons: not a very tacky grip, and the cord really holds onto oil from hands. The places where I usually grip would be sort of slick even with cleaning after a round

Id really love to hear your feed back on IOmic, you seem to really know your stuff @DJ Mico

If you love golf course photography check out IG @epicgolfshot

I may get dissed for this, but I love Champkey grips. Yup, those ultra cheap grips sold on Amazon. Around $35 for a full set of 13 grips. That means it's super cost effective to change them as often as you want to. But, and this is a big but, I haven't had to yet and they've been on my clubs for more than a year and over 30 rounds of golf. I bought them the first time because they were cheap. I'll buy them again because they're really nice grips. They're tacky, they don't wear out too fast, and the midsize is super comfortable. I see absolutely no reason to spend $6-10 per grip when I can get these for less than $3. Anyone who doesn't at least give them a try is just being stubborn. Read the Amazon reviews - over 90% 4 & 5 star. Watch one of several YouTube videos. Very few golfers have anything bad to say about them. 

Sorry, didn't mean for this to sound like an infomercial. I just really like them, and I love saving money. 

Edited by dnett

I used to be a Pure Pro user.  Theyre great when dry, but I found they are not so wonderful when you add moisture.  Part of my motivation for switching away from them.

Such has been my experience <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, ryno_wineo said:

I started using Pure Grips, DTX model - they’re full rubber, have sensational grip, and can be cleaned with soap/water and look/feel new.

*Disclaimer:  I live in Arizona, play 120+ rounds of golf annually, and have oily skin/sweat heavily in the summer. I normally go through 2 sets of grips/year between rounds and range time, but had been gaming the same set for over a year; I just replaced them recently because a new, obnoxious color came out and I wanted to be…obnoxious.   The only downside I’ve found so far is that due to it being 100% rubber, the Arccos screw-ins can fall out mid-swing; nothing a little electrical tape can’t fix!

18364D9F-DD92-434A-A57C-B0A1E116D34E.jpeg

Wish they made the obnoxious colors in jumbo!

PXG Gen 4 Driver, 3W and 3H

PXG Gen 2 XF Irons 5-G

PXG Gen 2 54/58

PXG One and Done

:srixon-small: Q-Star 

:Arccos:

Pure Pro for me for the past ten years. Blow them on and off when switching clubs. They last years with the occasional soap and water cleanup. I love them!

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

Winn dry tac

have arthritis in the fingers and they are the most comfortable for me. Also I prefer to play without a glove unless it’s raining. On a simulator or range day my hands feel just as good as when I started. If I hit about 20 balls with my 2 udi which has factory grip I can feel it in my hands all day. Reason for not regripping my 2 is not sure if I will keep it, waiting on Sub70 to restock to pick up a 4 iron which will replace the 2

I'm a big fan of PURE DTX.  I use air to put them on, with my specific wraps of blue/painter's tape underneath.  I do a quick cleaning a few times a year.  If I'm feeling a different color, takes no more than 20 seconds to blow the one off and blow the next one on. 

I went to GP full corded Z grip align this season on my set. The align is the best aid you can get if you wanna feel where the club face is in your grip. The full cord was a upgrade I’ve been looking for. I can play with or without a glove without issues. These grips will be on my set for as long as I can find them. I play midsize but they play thinner than other midsize’s I’ve used. All in all, a great set of grips if you’re looking for a full cord and constant feedback. 

Golf Pride Tour Wrap for me.  I love the way they look and love the way that they feel.  They may not have the best performance in the wet but I dont play in the rain much anyways.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I've been playing MCC +4 midsize for the last several years and In like how much they've improved since their launch. I used Tour Velvet for years, which were a good value but their durability was low. When I first got my irons I had Lamkin grips on them, can't remember which style but I liked those too. If I switched from the MCC I would probably go back to the Lamkin.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I've used Golf Pride mid-size Tour Wraps white for a long time. They last along time, a little soapy water and they feel like new. The white color really shows up around the green. I recently had a fitting and opted for the Golf Pride CP2 Wraps. I'm really enjoying the reduced taper, especially on choke-down shots. I haven't had them long enough to see how they wear. If it matters I don't wear a glove. 

I play 100+ rounds a year and change the grips every year, usually over the winter/early spring.

The corded grips rip my hands to shreds, probably due to the number of rounds I play, plus in Colorado with the low humidity my hands stay pretty dry and the texture of the cord just wears my hands out.

I've played the DriTac grips, like the feel - but they wear out too fast.

I stumbled across SuperStroke Traxion Wrap grips and couldn't be happier.  Been playing them for the past 2 seasons now.  Grips are really comfortable and have a soft tacky feel to them.  Best part is you can get them for $5.99 each!  Now that's a steal.  https://superstrokeusa.com/shop/traxion-wrap-club-grip/

Best part is PGA Tour Superstore sells them locally, so I can have the instant gratification.  Give them a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.759aae909d1e285c243d16aec01bb7c2.png ELIXR
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

I started using the Iomic 2.1’s but for the price point tried No1 Series 50.  Absolutely love them but they are had to get and many don’t carry them.  Also they are expensive and I’ve seen over the past year they seem to be wearing out quicker than previous models.  Don’t know if it was a bad batch or maybe they have gone with cheaper materials to save costs?  Either way, with the price point I just saw the Best Grip Microperf and also made in the USA.  Also was looking at The Grip Master grips.  I’ve been playing more in the summer and work days have gotten longer and longer, even when starting at 6am.  So my rounds have been starting later and later and it’s hotter.  My hands have been sweating more and that also could be the reason for more wear on the No1 Series 50.  But it’s got me looking into these 2 brands for their leather grips that help when they get wet.  I use gloves but go through them like crazy.  I bring 4 or 5 when I’m having a practice session hitting 150 range balls and these grips seems like they could really help.  My hands wouldn’t slip as much and I’ve heard they last a long time.  Will certainly take a look as I will need to regrip my entire bag and backup bags soon.  

Driver- Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS - AutoFlex SF505XX

3 wood- Sim2 Ti- Ventus Red 7X

3i- Titleist U505- Ventus Blue 9X

4i- PXG Gen2 driving iron- MMT105TX

5-PW- PXG Gen3 combo (5-6 Players, 7-PW Tour) MMT 105TX

GW- Bettinardi HLX 3.0

SW- Bettinardi HLX 3.0

LW- Titleist SM8

Putter- Odyssey EXO 7- Stability Tour Shaft