Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best Golf Grips and why....go!

epicgolfshot

Which golf grip (excluding putter) is your favorite?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Select your favorite

I am late to this topic, but here is my 0.02 (+0.02)

GP Tour Velvet 58 with three wraps under the lower hand, 6 wraps down the rest of the grip. I have used this for maybe 20 years? Now GP has their MCC+4 that follows a similar ideology. I have tried the Tour Velvet Midsize and have them on 2 sets of irons, and all my wedges (not the PW). I find that I get 1-2 years worth of wear before they need replacing with my preferred schedule of 2 days on the range, 3 days in the short game area, 2-3 rounds a week, don't ask about putting drills/practice (6 days a week, 7 if the wife is out of town).  I do have a complete set of clubs at the snow bird residence. I am a mid-classic collector of clubs from my past, Apex II, Mac Muirfield, All the DCI blades (cast! sacrilege!) 1997 Tour Model Titleist, Drivers from Pro Trajectory 8.5, 13, 17, J's Professional Weapon 9.5, 15 *.  R7, TP510, Super Deep, to 905R, 910 D3, 913 D3, 915 D3 & D4. None of my persimmons survived winter play in the NW. I could go on, but you get the idea.

I have used Golf Pride Tour Velvet Mid for almost everything.  These suit me the best and I have tried many others.

WIMyB

Nike Vapor Fly driver 

Nike Covert Tour 3Wood

Titleist 913 5Wood

Titleist 915 7Wood

Mizuno MP-64 4i-PW

Mizuno T-4 50 and 54 Wedges

Callaway Mack Daddy forged 58

Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide

I can’t remember which model they were, but Lamkin made grips that were identical to Iomic super tacky ones. They had great cushion and had the BEST tackiness, but discontinued them a few years back. I currently play the ST+2 Hybrid  Calibrate and I really like them. I can’t stand any cord in a grip, so these are about as close of a feel as I’d get to that. Still some cushion, and has some pretty good tack for the very humid conditions here.

https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/st-hybrid-calibrate/

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've been using Pure grips for close to 10 years now. I first tried them because they were less expensive (I still haven't paid more than $7.50 a grip although I haven't had to buy any in about 3 years), they were made to blow on (I replace them myself and was fascinated by the concept), and they are produced in the USA (that's not a hard-fast rule, but I like to when I can).

I've been very happy with their longevity (they last me for years and I typically replace them when I finally see wear even though they still seem as tacky as new), I can blow on a new grip in minutes AND use the club immediately, and I've never had one twist or move on me (I once had a 105mph swing speed, but now I'm <100). So are they the "best"? No clue; there's waaaay too much subjectivity for any product/service to really be the "best". But they're certainly my favorite! I've only had one grip in my lifetime that I hated, a Winn grip that came on a club that shredded within months. But I've yet to find a grip that I like as much or better without paying much more. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

I can’t remember which model they were, but Lamkin made grips that were identical to Iomic super tacky ones. They had great cushion and had the BEST tackiness, but discontinued them a few years back. I currently play the ST+2 Hybrid  Calibrate and I really like them. I can’t stand any cord in a grip, so these are about as close of a feel as I’d get to that. Still some cushion, and has some pretty good tack for the very humid conditions here.

https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/st-hybrid-calibrate/

Would you be talking about the Lamkin iLine grips?

Humid conditions is a large part of why I switched to leather.  I've got my own personal furnace 🤔, so when the temps get up and the dewpoint is 60* or 70*+, some grips can be problematic.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Lamkin UTx for me have always given the best all-around performance with comfort for the conditions I play in. I'm a huge fan of the midsized version.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

31 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Would you be talking about the Lamkin iLine grips?

Humid conditions is a large part of why I switched to leather.  I've got my own personal furnace 🤔, so when the temps get up and the dewpoint is 60* or 70*+, some grips can be problematic.  

Yes, link to the grip is there

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

My favorite grip of all time was the GP Dual Durometer Cord. Great combination of tackiness, grip and were just a little softer than most grips. Sadly, they are no longer made. For a couple years I used Superstroke S-Tech grips, which were great. They run a bit small, though, IMO–I usually use one extra wrap, but I had to go to two with those. Won a new set of Ping irons last year and they came with Arccos/Golf Pride Lite 360 Tour Velvet, which are pretty nice, although I was not a fan of the sensor tech. Not sure where I will go when I re-grip, but the Pure grips seem interesting. I don't have a compressor–can they be installed the traditional way?

Ping G425 irons blue dot Power Spec

Ping G400 Max Driver, Elements Chrome S Shaft

Ping G30 3 Wood

Guerin Rife TwoBar Hybrid Tour Mallet

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Snell MTB-X

5 minutes ago, DFEagle said:

....Not sure where I will go when I re-grip, but the Pure grips seem interesting. I don't have a compressor–can they be installed the traditional way?

Absolutely! Knowing what I know now, I'd probably still use them even if I had to use tape.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

I've used just about every grip out there.  I was a clubmaker (once a member of the PCA) and still do all my grips.  I could afford any (even though some grips now cost as much as a set of new irons did 25 years ago) and I always use Lamkin Crosslines.  They are among the least expensive, very tacky if kept clean, good in the rain, and wear very well.  I play over 100 rounds a year, and only replace my grips annually because I can, not because they are "worn out".

Mainstream brands, for me, it's LAMKIN all day.  Came stock on my Mizuno irons, well that was one of the options, so that was my choice.  Lamkin UTX is tacky and remains that way, a buddy has them on his irons, installed in 2017-18, and still feel new, UTX cord that is.  Currently on all my clubs are The Grip Master kangaroo.  Here on the east coast of central Florida, I definitely need that extreme tack.  Have had them on my irons since early 2017, stiff plastic bristled brush and hot water to clean, and they will last forever.  In the "cooler" months they do get a bit firm and feel slick, but a damp towel wipe down works, as does blowing on them for a bit of condensation.  They are a tad pricy, but not having to replace them every year at the least, makes the initial investment worth it.

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

Currently playing Royal Grip Sand Wrap and very happy with it. Will definitely stock up if golf works ever puts it on sale.

Used to play Royal Grip Neon. Had kevlar in it but super tacky and mid-soft. Really wish they were never discontinued.

Driver:   Cobra Fly Z- Diamana Kai'li 60 S or Cobra SZ - Xcaliber 6S depends on the day
Fairway:  Ping G15 4 wood- Aldila Serrano 75S
Hybrids:   Cobra TWS 3 and 4 XCaliber FW S75 Shafts 
Irons:    Maltby TS2 5-PW- DG105 S
Wedges:  Maltby 50, 56, 60
Putter:  Hogan Bettinardi BHB 12

I do not wear a glove and always played corded grips. Im currently gaming the GP Z-Grip Cord's.  No problem with the texture. I tried the SuperStroke grips and they were too soft. IMO, The best grips were the Lamkin UTx but Lamkin discontinued them.  Urghhh.  

Cheers,

KV

18 hours ago, Clay5477 said:

I've been regripping my own clubs and regripping for friends for over 30 years.

For a "normal" grip, my go-to is the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Cord +4. Midsize for me. I think the MCC +4 is the best grip available. Except for...

What I actually use personally is the JumboMax JMX UltraLite, Small.

Over the decades I've gone from one wrap of buildup tape, to two, to three, to a midsize grip, to what is traditionally known as a "jumbo", (1/8" over), to the JumboMax XS, and now to the small. I've tried the medium, but that's over the line for me. Although I will admit that the small is now starting to feel a little "smallish."

Seriously, if you've never tried a JumboMax grip, give it a try. It will soften your forearms and wrists, and relax your whole swing.

I'm using the JumboMax STR8 non-tapered medium size on driver. It's like power steering. UltraLite Smalls on the rest of the bag. You're right... relaxed grip, soft forearms, smooth swing.

22 hours ago, brianmontgomery2000 said:

Pure -- take your pick on model.

Last for YEARS...and I play 2 - 3 times per week for 9-10 months a year.

I went on the Website and noticed that PURE does indeed make a wrap-style grip.

Can't order clubs with it as the factories aren't offering it a far as I can see.

Nevertheless, a definite consideration for replacements grips which will be the more immediate issue as I don't expect to be buying clubs in the near future.  Thanks.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 10/13/2021 at 12:54 PM, epicgolfshot said:

Ive had some really bad experiences with grips (z-cord literally shredded by palm) and wanted to get peoples feedback on the grips they use and why?

I have very large thick hands, I wear a size 20 ring.  It has proven impossible to find a glove that fits my hands.  I play without a glove making the grip super important.  I play the Winn Dri-Tac oversized wrap grips.  I like the Wrapped grips because of the grooves.  They enable me to have at least 2 yardages per club, one for full grip and one for each wrap I choke down.  The grips are soft to the touch and have a tacky feel.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I don't wear a glove so grip is kind of critical. Luckily, my hands don't sweat much here in AZ. I use the standard Callaway grip. Mostly because I just like the feel but also, they are very cheap on the Callaway Preowned site. Only downside is auto 9.95 for shipping, basically no matter how many you buy. I buy in lots of 40. My wife uses them as well. It's not like they wear out just sitting around for a year. My pro puts on grips for $2 so while I can change them, why would I?

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

20 hours ago, mikedevine said:

I use Karma golf grips. 2 sets per year. I play and practice a lot. The grips are cheap, $2.19 on Amazon. Good as any. Try em you'll be as happy as I am. They play well and are just great.

Are they similar to Tour velvet? My favorites are Lamkin gray 360's or Sonar+.  Bought a new iron set with Tour velvets. They are average. 

Edited by NC Golfer

I have played midsize GP Tour Velvet grips for at least 20 years.  I've been battling golfer's elbow all this season and switched them out for GP CP2 Pro to get more cushion.  These grips are great!  Very tacky and feels like I am not squeezing the club as tightly.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

Golf Pride CP@ Pro Mid-Size for me. The grip stays tacky, does not taper down as much. I used to use Winn Dry tac but they do not hold up as well. Lucky to get a season out of them before the cords start coming through. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Used Winn and Superstroke but just installed Lamkin Sonar+...excellent!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I’m partial to Golfpride tour velvets, but I’ll use whatever comes with a club.

I did stumble onto a version I never knew existed until I regripped my driver recently. It’s a tour velvet plus 4. It’s exactly what it sounds like, a tour velvet grip built up on the bottom like the mcc plus 4. I like it a lot, since I wasn’t crazy about the half cord version. It’s inexpensive also. ($7.99 at PGASS)

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*