TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Golf Grips and why....go!

epicgolfshot

Which golf grip (excluding putter) is your favorite?  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Select your favorite

I love Winn Dri-Tac LT … I feel like I use a lighter grip pressure.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Ok, so here's my little secret.  When my grips started smoothing out and showing cord fibers, I came up with an idea that has worked out great.  I simply take tennis overgrips that you'd use on a racket and wrap them on over the existing worn grips.  It gives each club a fresh and clean look that stays tacky and pliable for about two years of fairly constant use.  Think of it as a retread for a golf grip.   When they get old, I'll either remove a layer, or roll new ones on over the original grip or overgrips to build the handle to about midsize.  I cannot believe how gummy and soft they are, and how this helps with with accuracy and confidence.  I've also quit wearing a glove as a result.  These can be purchased online for about $1 each if you buy in bulk.  I'm  sold on these, and see no reason to replace the original grip, when only a small percentage of it has become unusable.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, Golfnut0226 said:

Golf Pride CP2 Pro, just a good solid feel in the hands. There isn't a cord grip made that I like.

My gamer as well.  Excellent blend between soft & firm.  Soft, without feeling as though they might twist under load.  Love 'em.

Driver: PXG 0811 Proto X+ - Hzrdus Yellow S 60g
Fairway Woods: Callaway Mavrik 4-wood Project X - Cobra King 5-6 wood - Onam 
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 23 deg
Irons 4-GW: PXG 0311 P Gen 2 - TT Elevate Tour Stiff
Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50 deg - Mizuno S18 Gun Metal in 56 & 60 deg
Putter: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 - SuperStroke Tour Traxion 2.0

Former Golf Magazine Equipment/Club Tester

On 10/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, NC Golfer said:

Are they similar to Tour velvet? My favorites are Lamkin gray 360's or Sonar+.  Bought a new iron set with Tour velvets. They are average. 

Yes very similar and for the money go with Karmax. They are a players grip at a hackers price range.

It tis the season to regrip, put a new Iomic iX SA 2.0 Grip on my AW to try it out and I'm afraid I didn't like it. I found it a bit hard and not as sticky as I thought it would be going back to the Winn Dri Tac. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

The GolfPride Microsuede is my choice. I used to play the Tour Wrap 2G, but they can get a bit slick when it's damp. The Microsuede is basically a scuffed up 2G...same soft feel, but better traction when it's damp. 

Not as good as a corded grip in the rain, but with rain gloves, it's fine.

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

Went from Winn to Superstroke Cross Comfort, and wanted something that would last longer and perform to where the club wouldn't slip..FOUND IT! Lamkin Sonar+. Excellent feel, solid grip...just feels great. Put them on all my clubs in September and very happy with them. Too soon so see how they wear, but the materials appear to show I should get two season from these grips.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

The Gripmaster kangaroo leather grips.  Expensive but IMHO well worth it.  Installed them on all clubs, barring putter, early 2017, and still tacky.  They tend to wear in not out.  Here in central east coast of Florida, need the tack in the summer months, and I play well over 100 rounds a year.  Can be installed with tape or air compressor, I've done both.  Next to MIZUNO irons, the best investment I've made golf wise.  Will answer any questions anyone might have.

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

It’s gotta be Pure Wraps for me, but they won’t wear out.  A little warm soapy water and a good bristle brush and you have new sticky grips.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I can't remember if I ever posted on this, but my favorite is pure leather wrap. Very expensive, but I had that on my college clubs. Always tacky, especially for a guy at the time that didn't wear gloves, and I have sweaty hands. When I got rid of those clubs, I pretty much anything that was full cord. I tried old Lamkin, but they felt like they melted in my hands years ago. Now, I'm not sure, but still miss my leather, but also unwilling to pay for them.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I like playing without a golf glove so the best grips for me are Winn grips. Next season I will be putting Winn Dri-tac 2.0 on my clubs. They allow me to grip the club without a golf glove in most any weather. I like the feel of them and they are not hard as they have a little give to them. 

Golfnut

I'll usually go for stock grips when buying clubs.

If I have to replace them, whatever is on sale, but usually score a deal on GP MCC.

I stay away from Winn on irons/woods, my hands are rough and the grips barely make it through their 1st season. For putters they are alright.

Only heard good things about Iomic, but never tried them myself.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

This year I went to the Jumbo Max golf grips, STR8 Tech Tour Series. I use the medium size and I love them. They have helped me stay more stable with my hands when making contact.

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

Titleist U505 2 Iron 

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland 3 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

New irons and wedges are coming with Pure DTX in green. I'm excited with them. The feel of them is just nice for me and I've been thinking of going for them in a big way and this is the time. Likely when I get new woods at the end of 2022 and set the bag for the next 5 years, I'll be in Pure's again, but for now it's Tour Velvets on those.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to like Tour velvets that came with my new irons. But, some are tacky and some feel slick and they are brand new. I have 7 Sonar Plus grips ready to go for this spring. I like the tack on these and slightly larger profile just feels great. Our DSG finally has re-stocked them after not carrying them for a year.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 5:01 PM, Clay5477 said:

I've been regripping my own clubs and regripping for friends for over 30 years.

For a "normal" grip, my go-to is the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Cord +4. Midsize for me. I think the MCC +4 is the best grip available. Except for...

What I actually use personally is the JumboMax JMX UltraLite, Small.

Over the decades I've gone from one wrap of buildup tape, to two, to three, to a midsize grip, to what is traditionally known as a "jumbo", (1/8" over), to the JumboMax XS, and now to the small. I've tried the medium, but that's over the line for me. Although I will admit that the small is now starting to feel a little "smallish."

Seriously, if you've never tried a JumboMax grip, give it a try. It will soften your forearms and wrists, and relax your whole swing.

I saw the Jumbomax for the first time on some clubs I purchase.  They are like the handle on a baseball bat!  Not for me, though. What really sucks is they are hard to take off.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I'm a Gripmaster leather guy.  I prefer to play without a glove and these are tacky in all kinds of play.  I move my grips from set to set if my equipment changes.

For the heck of it, I bought a few grips just to see how they compare: Winn Dri-Tac 2.0, Pure Pro (midsize), Iomic Sticky 2.3, Iomic x-Grip.  

None of these beat out the Grip Masters, but my thoughts:

Winn Dri-Tac 2.0 - I like the feel of these.  I am tempted to put some on a backup set, but they have a poor reputation for durability and wet weather play.

Iomic x-Grip - I like these better than the Sticky 2.3 (which feel slimy to me).  But they dont come in mid-size.  

Iomic Sticky 2.3 - They feel a bit slimy to me.  Of the Iomic line, I prefer the x-Grip.

Pure Pro (mid-size) - Not bad.  I like them more than Iomic Sticky 2.3 (they feel less slimy / likely to move during the swing).  But less than x-Grip.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

On 1/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

I saw the Jumbomax for the first time on some clubs I purchase.  They are like the handle on a baseball bat!  Not for me, though. What really sucks is they are hard to take off.

Absolutely true. Air compressor and lots of swearing. Not as bad as SuperStroke putter grips, though. 😉

4 hours ago, Riverboat said:
3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Deleted 

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

11 minutes ago, Middler said:

+2. MGS most wanted has given credit to many non-major OEMs, Evnroll and Snell got a lot of love here and still do. Tommy Armour has also gotten a lot of notice here too. Scotty Cameron definitely has not. And MGS seriously wounded Callaway ball quality a couple years ago, and they took notice (eventually). There are countless examples of MGS not giving preference to the big guys. Compared to Golf Digest and all the ad supported sources, MGS is still head and shoulders above the rest. I read MGS along with other sources, sometimes I’m in agreement but not always.

And MGS is absolutely entitled to make a buck for the unique services they provide. Where else can you get the same bang for your buck in the golf equipment reporting world? Let’s not let the perfect be the enemy of the good…

Did you accidentally somehow quote and post this on the grips thread instead of the Rick Shiels Beef thread?

11 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

Did you accidentally somehow quote and post this on the grips thread instead of the Rick Shiels Beef thread?

I guess so, no idea how since I quoted from the other thread. Thanks, I edited above since delete wasn’t an option?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

• 1 month later...

I am here to support all those posts about PURE Grips. I have used them exclusively now for 10 years without any regret. I have tried all thier products and sold many to my friends. I haven't had the first problem with them nor any failures. The installation is the greatest improvement I noted in the since doing my own grips in the late 70's. It also makes things easier with my students and those seeking to find the greatest grip around. 

FYI: Since changing to the DTX grips 2 years ago I have found that it is easier to keep contact with the club in all kinds of weather and I haven't worn out many gloves at all. Time & sweat are the greatest detriment.

Supporting the Greatest Game Ever... 

DAGolfer @ www.cleekgeekgolf.com

5 hours ago, DAGolfer said:

I am here to support all those posts about PURE Grips. I have used them exclusively now for 10 years without any regret. I have tried all thier products and sold many to my friends. I haven't had the first problem with them nor any failures. The installation is the greatest improvement I noted in the since doing my own grips in the late 70's. It also makes things easier with my students and those seeking to find the greatest grip around. 

FYI: Since changing to the DTX grips 2 years ago I have found that it is easier to keep contact with the club in all kinds of weather and I haven't worn out many gloves at all. Time & sweat are the greatest detriment.

I agree, I've been using the DTX for probably 4 or 5 years now and I will keep using them and hope they never stop making them.

37 minutes ago, WalterS said:

I agree, I've been using the DTX for probably 4 or 5 years now and I will keep using them and hope they never stop making them.

I understand that. Years ago I used the Lampkin V Trak that were fantastic grips. I even got some friends to use them. If I would’ve known they were being discontinued I would’ve bought a box of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

My hands perspire enough that using any form of plastic grip will cause slippage during the Summer, even when using rain gloves.

So, rubber grips are my preference and I've discovered the Tacki-Mac Tour Select grips.  They cost me $4.83 ea., delivered, and seem to last at least a year.

FYI - I did have a pretty good "contact" experience with JumboMax grips, but eventually decided that my hands/wrists weren't working the way I wanted them to in the swing.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

I play roughly 140-150 rounds of golf a year (one of the upsides of living in Key West) and do not wear a glove.  I've had Golf Pride CP2 Pro midsized grips on my irons for over five years and love them.  They still have a soft tacky feel in various environments, are holding up well, and require only an occasional soap and water to keep them clean.  I can't say enough about their longevity.  

Lately I've switched out Golf Pride MC+4 grips on my woods because part of the grip tends to get slippery in our environments after regular use for me.  They have been replaced with the Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 midsize grips.  Overall, I like the grip.  It has the larger lower hand, a very soft feel and are a few dollars less expensive than the CP2's.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I second the Golf Pride CP 2 mid size.  Tried Winn dri-tac, they were great for 1 season, then began to smooth out.  CP 2 still nice and tacky after 3 years.  Easy to clean.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

I am a big golf pride Mcc fan. I am going to give the tour wrap a go shortly too but love the Mcc and think it offers me best combo of comfort and performance. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash