Best Golf Grips and why....go!

epicgolfshot

Which golf grip (excluding putter) is your favorite?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Select your favorite

After reading about them many times over a couple years, I finally took the plunge and tried leather grips.  I bought a couple Best Grips MIcroperfs and a couple GripMaster Roos and put them on a couple clubs.

They are the Real Deal.

They're tacky when moisture enters the equation, even if it's just the humidity in the air.  My grip on the club is ultra secure.  We get pretty humid up here in summer, with 10,000+ lakes around, I've had zero trouble with the leather in play.  I've put them on every club in my bag now.  

I ultimately chose the Roo grip (kangaroo leather), but also installed Kidd grips on another set, and a couple Master Perforated grips on the odd club.  All have been completely awesome.  They have varying levels of tack to them, but once the humidity kicks in, or there's a bit of moisture present, they're on the job.  I used to worry about taking a drink of liquid in the summer, from the condensation on the bottles, it's 0% on my mind, now.  

Leather grips are pricey, but they last a long time.  Cost ratio definitely on the plus side.

I count them as definitely worth a look.  

Side note:  I use an air compressor to install my grips, so I can remove them if I decide it's time to sell a club, or even just quit using it.  Just pop the grip off the club, move it to another.  

• Like 6

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I play with Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2Gs or Wynn Excels.

Because I don't wear a glove, that's the only style of grip that I like and find comfortable..

If I order a new club, I order it with one of those, and if I acquire a club another way, I re-grip it before I play it.

NYJyzr gives me interesting  thoughts with his comments about real leather, but the synthetic stuff has been working ok for me.

But I'm not a DIY guy, unfortunately.    I have it regripped in the pro shop.

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 2

I personally buy only grips made in the good old USA. In the past I was a distributor for Pure Grips, Star Grips both of which are in Arizona and also sold Tacki Mac which are made in the Houston area. Pure warrants theirs for 2 years and Star for 3 years. I converted all the guys I play golf with to either Pure or Star and all love them. The only problem with both is they just didn't want to wear out. When I buy new clubs, I have them ship the clubs sans grips or just put them in the box but don't install them. I then sell them on EBay. Just food for thought. I really believe we need to buy more USA made products.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

I won a set of Lamkin Sonor Mid grips and found I really like them

Prior to them the fitter had said that I should have jumbo based on my hand side but I found them too large. So part of my like is due to them being a better size than my last grips.

I had Sonor installed again when I bought new irons this year and will stick with them for the next set too.

They stay really tacky even after a few seasons. They get about 50-60 rounds a year (including 4 months indoor golf during our inifinite winter here in Saskatchewan).

• Like 1

Zcords tore up my hands, too. I switched to Lamkin Crossline Cords, which, are a little easier on the hands. And, I may be in the process of switching to the non-cord version of the Crossline - inexpensive, plus, they seem to work for me.

• Love 1

Just my opinion - I recommend Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack.  Long lasting and easy to restore with a wipe.

• Like 1

a. Iron specs (flex, length/lie). Callaway Apex Smoke 4-AW 1" long 3* upright Regular graphite shafts

b. Driver specs (loft/flex). Titleist TiS1 Senior Flex

c. Dexterity (right or left-handed). Right handed

d. Where You Live Jefferson, GA

e. Your handicap or average 18 hole score. 18.6 index

f. Putter - Too many to list! But all are fitted with FlatCat grip.

I've been regripping my own clubs and regripping for friends for over 30 years.

For a "normal" grip, my go-to is the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Cord +4. Midsize for me. I think the MCC +4 is the best grip available. Except for...

What I actually use personally is the JumboMax JMX UltraLite, Small.

Over the decades I've gone from one wrap of buildup tape, to two, to three, to a midsize grip, to what is traditionally known as a "jumbo", (1/8" over), to the JumboMax XS, and now to the small. I've tried the medium, but that's over the line for me. Although I will admit that the small is now starting to feel a little "smallish."

Seriously, if you've never tried a JumboMax grip, give it a try. It will soften your forearms and wrists, and relax your whole swing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, one0wonder said:

I personally buy only grips made in the good old USA. In the past I was a distributor for Pure Grips, Star Grips both of which are in Arizona and also sold Tacki Mac which are made in the Houston area. Pure warrants theirs for 2 years and Star for 3 years. I converted all the guys I play golf with to either Pure or Star and all love them. The only problem with both is they just didn't want to wear out. When I buy new clubs, I have them ship the clubs sans grips or just put them in the box but don't install them. I then sell them on EBay. Just food for thought. I really believe we need to buy more USA made products.

Just to add to the two Pure users here. Everything they said plus I can install, adjust and remove them easily myself with air pressure. I have some Pure grips that are 5 years old and no wear as far as I can tell. I use the Pure Jumbo wraps and they work great with my arthritic hands. Only issue some may have with the Jumbos is they are a bit heavy, but that's not a big deal me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Pete

Just put the Lamkin Sinkfit Sonar+ on my irons. Fantastic feel. Going to put them on my woods.

• Like 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Went from Green Victory's which were the greatest ever (I won't even debate this because it's facts) to the Golf Pride TV cords to the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2g's and now I am loving the Lamkin Sonar Wrap with Calibrate.  

I don't know how it happened but ten or so years ago I really started loving wrap style grips.  Tour Wraps are nice and the Lamkin's are nicer.  

You can also notice the procession from firm to cord to softer...I am getting older and I like something a little gentler.  

• Like 3
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5 / Testing Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Official 1/12 testers for 2022 L.A.B. Golf Putters

Western, NY

5.8 Index

I really like the Pure DTX grip.  I like half and full cord grips, but they just tear up my hands.  The Pure DTX grips give me that same feel without torturing my hands.  Even though I'm a golf traditionalist, I like the variety of available colors.  They wear like iron.  I practice and play a lot of golf (90+ rounds per year), and I'm on my third year with the same grips, no wear spots at all!

• Like 1
  • Driver:  Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 degree (Stiff)
  • 4 wood:  Callaway Rogue (Stiff)
  • 7 Wood:  Callaway Rogue (shafted to 5 wood length) (Stiff)
  • 3 hybrid:  Ping G400 (Stiff)
  • Irons:  4-PW Ben Hogan PTxPro Black (+1/2" with soft-stepped stiff shafts)
  • Wedges:  52 and 58 Degree Ben Hogan Equalizer (+1/2" with soft-stepped stiff shafts)
  • Putter:  Still searching for that magic weapon

Bestgrips.com for me.

Leather grips with a tacky feel. I've never had a better grip when it rains or when the humidity gets so high and I sweat through every pore in my body.  I don't wear a glove and these grips are the best I've ever tried.  I have the mid size on my driver and 3-wood and the regulars with 3 additional wraps of double-sided tape on my irons.  2 years and they're still tacky. I wipe them down after every range session or round.  I will admit that they are expensive, but I expect they'll end up going at lease 3 years for me...and maybe 5.

• Like 2

I go between the GP Tour wraps in white and the Iomic Sticky 2.3 in white. Both are great....really stay tacky after a little moisture is applied. Very easy on the hands as well.....both highly recommended

I have tried many grips but I haven't found anything as good as the LAMKIN UTX CORD grips.  They feel a little soft but still give plenty of feedback and the cords and the tacky UTX rubber make it easy to play in humid and wet conditions. They also out last many of the other grips I've tried. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Alf. S said:

On my to do list in the off season. Got one in the garage ready to go. This might prompt me to do it this week. 

Which one did you select?  I prefer the X-Evolution, but got the Sticky when I tested the Titleist irons LAST year.  So here we are, almost two full seasons later, and they still live up to their name, Sticky.  I did the rest of my clubs the year before that.

2 hours ago, epicgolfshot said:

from what Im told they can guarantee the feel (tackiness) of the grip for life!

I won't guarantee anything, but they certainly work for me.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

My favorite grip all time is the Lamkin G3 Quarter Cord. They came in standard and mid size. What I liked most about the grips was the it was a 1/4 cord design. only the underside of the butt end of the grip was cord, the rest was not. The benefit of this design is that my golf glove lasted about twice as long as when I used grips like the MMC from Golf Pride. With those grips the butt end is cord, top and underside, and while the perform well they wear out my glove fast. The cord wears out the palm section of the glove too fast. Unfortunitely the G# Quarter Cord is no long being sold, so I have to make due with I can find. 

I like the MMC grips except for the high price tag. I've been using Black Widow grips for over 10 years and have ZERO complaints with the grips. They feel good in my hands and last as long as the top name brands, only cost a lot less when I get them from HIREKO when they go on sale. To save on shipping I purchase 3 dozen of them in black and 3 more in white. Turns out I like the white grips better as they do NOT turn my white glove grey after a few practice sessions. If I hit a large bucket of range balls (144balls)  with a new white glove using any of the top name grips, the black grips turn my glove grey. So for now on I'll be buying only white grips

The grips I like the LEAST are Winn and Tacy Mac. The two Winn grips I tried were made of leather and both of them wore out in less than a week of practice. Plus you have to be careful how you clean Winn grips them NOT being rubber, which you can wash with hot soapy water. Can't do that with Winn grips

The reason I hate Tacymac grips is because I hate a grip that is tacky in my hands. I want a grip that stays put in my hands, but NOT sticky feeling. 

48 minutes ago, Saturday Morning Sherpa said:

Just my opinion - I recommend Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack.  Long lasting and easy to restore with a wipe.

I agree with Sherpa. Super Tac’s last forever and can be a little smaller for those of us that don’t like oversized. Golf Pride multi-compounds are really really good as well. 

GLFWLKR