TESTERS WANTED! ×

Herniated Disc/Lower Back

GaDawg

No advice;  just hope the surgery goes well. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I feel for ya.  Been through that with my L4 & L5 but managed to avoid surgery......so far.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Sounds similar to what I went through,  just on the left. I ended up in a wheelchair for a month before surgery, and was only able to sleep with heavy opiates. Surgery wasn't a totally perfect solution, but it was near enough to be called perfect. I have some small issues with soreness in the muscles overlaying my disc site, but overall it's been a remarkable recovery. My golf handicap is now the lowest it's been in 20 years. You'll get there too! Best of luck.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

9 minutes ago, Siamese Moose said:

Sounds similar to what I went through,  just on the left. I ended up in a wheelchair for a month before surgery, and was only able to sleep with heavy opiates. Surgery wasn't a totally perfect solution, but it was near enough to be called perfect. I have some small issues with soreness in the muscles overlaying my disc site, but overall it's been a remarkable recovery. My golf handicap is now the lowest it's been in 20 years. You'll get there too! Best of luck.

Thanks for your response.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

My wife has had back problems since she was in her early 20's, but they didn't have the technology and skill they have today.  She waited.  She said "It's why they call it a practice and why they call us patients, because we have to be patient while they practice."

She finally had an L5-S1 fusion in 2008.  She was on mega hydrocodone and 100ug/hour fentanyl patch before surgery (and her golf game really sucked).  Now she takes maybe one 5/300 hydrocodone or half of one a day.  She still has some pain in her hip, but at 65 that's kind of common, isn't it?  Her golf game is the best I've seen it at a 14 index, and I know she could be even better with a little more practice.

These surgeries are quite common, and the results are good for most people.  Hope is all goes well, and keep up posted!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Best of luck with the surgery! I too have lower back issues with my L5/S1 and will most likely have to go the surgery route at some stage.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hope all goes perfectly and you heal up quickly!

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

Good luck I hope it all works for the best.  Back pain blows, my L4-L5 are bulging but as long as I stay on up with stretches and work out as well as keep weight ( haha major struggle) down I’m ok. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Sorry to hear about this @GaDawgand I hope you are on the mend real quick.  I do know a handful of folks who have had surgery to resolve back issues and they went very well.  Be thankful we live in the time we do as it pertains to the amazing advances in medical treatments.  Tell ya what, I'll root for Georgia from here on out through the Championship... only switching sides if a miracle happens and they play my Irish 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Ugh. I feel for you @GaDawg. I’ll say a prayer for the surgery to go well, and for a great recovery too! 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have issues from L2-S1, yes my back is a disaster, however I am putting off surgery for as long as possible. Doing daily physical therapy to just try and be normal. 

My mother in law had fusion surgery about 8 years ago on L5/S1. No complications and has been extremely happy with the results. 

Good Luck!

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I just herniated my L4/L5 disk about 1 month ago due to golf. I finally over did it (I think I hit about 10 large buckets in 2 days, played a round, and did 2 overspeed workouts for clubhead speed. I often wake up with an aching in my lower back -- I now know it's the L4/L5 area -- but I ignore it and it goes away in a day or two. This time was different. I woke up about 3 am and tried to sit up in my bed, but I collapsed. My back hurt and I couldn't get comfortable in any position, though laying down would be the only way for me to get relief for about 10 days.   I used all my strength to walk 100 yards to the Walgreens near my place, and I had to take 3 breaks during the trip. There was a shooting, tingling pain down the front of my left thigh that made walking difficult. I had to limp. And the muscles in my back felt like they were seized up or something and the longer I was upright, the weaker my back got.  I had to sit on an empty trash can at the front of Staples and a big rock in front of Walgreens to rest before I made it, though sitting didn't make it any better. I wasn't sure how I'd be able to make the walk back.  I basically bought every type of back pain medicine, creams, and heating pads and some electrical stimulation device that didn't work because it required some other device.

For the first 2 days I layed in bed and tried to manage the pain while watching everything I could on Youtube to figure out what I hurt and how to heal it.  That's where I found out about bulging disks, L4/L5 part of the spine, herniated disks, sciatica nerve pain and what it affects, and stretches and treatments other than surgery, which I was my biggest fear. I ended up buying an inversion table my 2nd day and I think that was my best move.  I think that helped me heal faster than anything else, especially doing brief but frequent inversions to decompress the spine, which I still do to this day.  It took about 10 days before I could do anything other than work from home and lay around since I could only walk about 50 feet before my left thigh started throbbing and my lower back would start seizing up. I would have to limp back to my bed if I wanted to pain to subside. I was basically hobbled. It felt like I was on a self imposed house arrest or something. I wouldn't dare walk more than 100 yards from my front door out of fear not being able to make it back.

For the first few days I thought I'd be back to normal in a day or so, as usual for me, but it didn't get any better the first week, which worried me. I was even considering going to see a doctor, which I rarely do.  Finally after about 10 days of basically being an invalid, I felt well enough to venture out and actually played a round of golf with my friend. Another week or so later, my back felt normal or almost normal again, though I seem to get that same lower back pain from a round of golf or hitting a bucket of balls now that I used to only get by hitting 8 or 9 buckets plus playing a lot and swinging really hard. I hope this isn't one of those injuries that never quite heal and you are always susceptible to re-injure every few years.   Most people I know with bad backs would re-injure their backs every few years, my Mom included. I hope when it does heal fully, I'm as good as new, not a walking time bomb for another herniated disk.  I don't want that in my future.

I hope you feel better. You might want to try inversion therapy if you haven't done so already. It's the only thing that seemed to help me.

Edited by Pro-V-None

Same story here. Getting ready for a tournament. Two days later, excruciating pain, numbness in leg, MRI. Bulging L-4, 5. Just turned 62. Luckily, painkillers, muscle relaxers, rest. Doing better, but I'm afraid it is something I will have to deal with from now on. Will still play, just taking precautions. I hope everything goes well and sorry you have to go through this.

From one Dawg to another…hope the surgery goes well.  My discs have slight tears above and below L4 and below L5.  I won’t bore you with the story but I’ve managed to avoid surgery and sleeping through the night now.  If I walk, I can golf OK.  Riding is just too much sitting.  One thing I find funny though is when I swing a good swing I actually think it helps the old back.  Kind of motivates me to swing smooth so I don’t end up on my knees.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

I too have always had lower back issues, but pain focused on left side.  Stretching and Ibuprofen worked until something happened in December 2018 (many potential culprits, lifting, trying tennis, etc.) and it was worse than ever.  Tried chiro but that seemed to make it worse. Was so bad I could not stand up, and left leg would alternate between violent cramping and numbness.  Had to call EMT a few times, and I remember going to the ER on Christmas Eve (no relief, they thought I was med shopping.)

A good friend's wife runs an ortho surgery practice, they finally did an MRI, revealed my L5-S1 had not only Herniated but ruptured, and disc material migrated down the spinal cord in my left thigh.  Cortisone shot relieved the pain enough to tolerate it, and had surgery in late January, they removed two hunks of disc material, each about the size of a nickel. Immediately felt better (but naturally weak), and started PT about a month after.  By April, I was back playing and am fully recovered.  I was also 63 at the time, so hope that gives you some confidence you can do it also.

Good luck.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:38 PM, GaDawg said:

Hello Everyone,

Well my retirement has not started off on the path I would have liked. Last day of work was August 31th and we had big plans. We did get up to Maine, NH and Vermont in early September. The Monday after getting back, I began to have tremendous pain going down my right leg. I have had minor hip issues for several years, but was always able to get those adjusted out with Chiropractor care. Went and received a couple of adjustments, but the pain got worse. During the last four weeks, I have visited Orthopedic Care w/x-rays, ER (trying to get an MRI asap), taken physical therapy, 3 series of steroids, pain medication just to get a few hours sleep. My primary doctor was able to get me a referral to a Neurosurgeon, which got an MRI scheduled for me about 10 days ago. Based on his advice, I have surgery scheduled for tomorrow.

I am sure people will have different opinions regarding my decision, but at 63, I feel that I have a lot of years left to enjoy my wife, kids and grand-kids. Hopefully more golf too. I am not writing this looking for attention, pity, etc. I just wanted to reach out to the community to hear if any other golfers have had similar issues. I am committed to this decision and whatever it takes to get my body back to an enjoyable life style. Eating pain pills and dragging your leg around is not in my plan.

I would appreciate any positive thoughts! Don't take your health and golf for granted, it can leave quickly...🏌️‍♂️

I kno this is a late response but I’m pulling for ya.

I hope this does NOT seem like I’m playing 1 upmanship, but instead am letting you kno there is still golf with back problems … I’m turning 64 this year … I’ve had over 40 lumbar epidurals, I had a 4-disc lumbar discectomy, I have 5 or 6 herniated thoracic discs, a 3-disc cervical fusion, and 2 more herniations bookending that fusion, plus I have a failed spinal stimulator implanted in my back. I have been in & out of PT approx once a year for 15 years. My advice is to get ur PT person to not only give u stretches for lumbar spine, but for cervical as well … golf stretches. You must keep ur hip & neck rotation flexibility … and then do the damn stretches every day … well they’ll probably have you doing them 3x a day at first, but even when ur done with PT, keep at it. Stay flexible.

When I began playing this year, after a 14 year hiatus, my back was tired after 6 holes. I initially stopped and went home. Eventually, even though while I was tired after 6, I still managed to make the full 18. This month I’ve been playing 36 holes twice a week, with a retired group of guys. Know ur limitations & keep striving to get stronger.

I just bought a set of 1/2” long, Cobra RadSpeed One Length irons in an attempt to take pressure off my lumbar spine. Practicing chipping & putting really stresses it. And as soon as those muscles feel tired or tight, I shut practice down or else they’ll be in spasm for 3 days. I live with the fear that I might only be 1 injury away from ending golf forever.

Keep ur back strong & flexible … maybe we’ll both still be playing in our 80s.

If u ever need to vent about ur back, feel free to dm me. It helps talking with someone who knows what ur going thru. What people don’t realize is that it’s not just about the level of pain you are experiencing, it’s more about the fact that it’s unrelenting pain. Constant pain, 24-7, day after day, week after week is physically draining and mentally exasperating. 

Good luck GaDawg.

Edited by B_R_A_D_Y
Added more & edits too.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

7 hours ago, Dave in Phoenix said:

I too have always had lower back issues, but pain focused on left side.  Stretching and Ibuprofen worked until something happened in December 2018 (many potential culprits, lifting, trying tennis, etc.) and it was worse than ever.  Tried chiro but that seemed to make it worse. Was so bad I could not stand up, and left leg would alternate between violent cramping and numbness.  Had to call EMT a few times, and I remember going to the ER on Christmas Eve (no relief, they thought I was med shopping.)

A good friend's wife runs an ortho surgery practice, they finally did an MRI, revealed my L5-S1 had not only Herniated but ruptured, and disc material migrated down the spinal cord in my left thigh.  Cortisone shot relieved the pain enough to tolerate it, and had surgery in late January, they removed two hunks of disc material, each about the size of a nickel. Immediately felt better (but naturally weak), and started PT about a month after.  By April, I was back playing and am fully recovered.  I was also 63 at the time, so hope that gives you some confidence you can do it also.

Good luck.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the post, it sounds like we had very similar injuries. I had my surgery last Friday and a lot of the pain was gone immediately. I have been able to take short walks each day and increased the distance today. After reading your comments, I know things will continue to improve.

Thanks again!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

3 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I kno this is a late response but I’m pulling for ya.

I hope this does NOT seem like I’m playing 1 upmanship, but instead am letting you kno there is still golf with back problems … I’m turning 64 this year … I’ve had over 40 lumbar epidurals, I had a 4-disc lumbar discectomy, I have 5 or 6 herniated thoracic discs, a 3-disc cervical fusion, and 2 more herniations bookending that fusion, plus I have a failed spinal stimulator implanted in my back. I have been in & out of PT approx once a year for 15 years. My advice is to get ur PT person to not only give u stretches for lumbar spine, but for cervical as well … golf stretches. You must keep ur hip & neck rotation flexibility … and then do the damn stretches every day … well they’ll probably have you doing them 3x a day at first, but even when ur done with PT, keep at it. Stay flexible.

When I began playing this year, after a 14 year hiatus, my back was tired after 6 holes. I initially stopped and went home. Eventually, even though while I was tired after 6, I still managed to make the full 18. This month I’ve been playing 36 holes twice a week, with a retired group of guys. Know ur limitations & keep striving to get stronger.

I just bought a set of 1/2” long, Cobra RadSpeed One Length irons in an attempt to take pressure off my lumbar spine. Practicing chipping & putting really stresses it. And as soon as those muscles feel tired or tight, I shut practice down or else they’ll be in spasm for 3 days. I live with the fear that I might only be 1 injury away from ending golf forever.

Keep ur back strong & flexible … maybe we’ll both still be playing in our 80s.

If u ever need to vent about ur back, feel free to dm me. It helps talking with someone who knows what ur going thru. What people don’t realize is that it’s not just about the level of pain you are experiencing, it’s more about the fact that it’s unrelenting pain. Constant pain, 24-7, day after day, week after week is physically draining and mentally exasperating. 

Good luck GaDawg.

OMG! Can't believe you had this much going on with your back. Today was my 7th day after my surgery and I have seen great improvement the last two days. I realize this is going to take some time, just going to take it day to day.

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions from everyone.

• 1 year later...

About a year ago, my mother was in the same situation. My mother’s right leg was severely swollen from the hip to below the knee, and she was feeling a lot of pain in her lower back, sides, and hip. The pain was so severe that my mother could not walk well, could not sit comfortably, and she could not sleep well. At night she was sleeping with pain, and could not even move on the bed for a moment. I remember trying many painkillers and ointments to relieve my mother’s pain, but this pain was still annoying for my mother. Since my mother suffered from diabetes and had repeatedly passed kidney stones in the past, we thought there might be a problem with her kidneys.

However, after consulting several specialist doctors and performing the necessary scans and tests, it turned out that, contrary to our expectations, my mother is affected by lumbar disc herniation. According to my mother’s doctor, who was the best spine and lumbar disc surgeon in our city or even in the country, my mother’s 4th and 5th vertebrae were so displaced that if she did not have surgery immediately, my mother would be paralyzed within a month or even sooner. Because of my mother’s diabetes and advanced age, we were very concerned about having this surgery. Unfortunately, my mother preferred to be paralyzed rather than have surgery. At that time, with a lot of stress, I was searching the internet, looking for a way to cure my mother, until I got acquainted with ozone therapy. Unfortunately, the cost of this treatment was high in our country, and there was no clear result. In any case, I made an appointment for my mother’s visit from the best ozone therapy clinic for a week.

During that week, I was praying and searching  to find a way to relieve my mother’s pain until I happened to come across a person who had a similar problem to my mother in the past. He suffered from severe lumbar disc pain for 3 years. By his own admission, he was in bed most of the time and could barely walk, sit or move at all. All the specialist doctors gave up on him, and they emphasized that there is no other option but surgery, and of course, the extent of recovery after surgery is unknown. . One day, when he was very disappointed, he happened to hear in one of the scientific news on TV about the fact that according to researches, all types of spinal disc problems can be treated with appropriate exercises. This news raised hope for a cure without surgery on his heart and led him to hope to find suitable exercises for treatment. After several months of research and studying foreign articles and trying the exercises recommended by the best orthopedic doctors, he  finally designed a collection of sport exercises that can be used to treat all types of discs. A collection of exercises that, to date, have saved hundreds of people from lumbar disc pain, and have miraculously treated many patients with lumbar disc herniation. It is worth mentioning that he is now so healthy that he can easily climb mountains and he has conquered many mountain peaks!!!! 

When I found such a person with such a wonderful experience, I encouraged my mother to do these exercises  every day.  About 15 extremely simple and harmless sports exercises ( https://the-miracle.me ), each exercise 20 times in the morning and 20 times in the evening for 2 weeks to a month. After recovery, these exercises should be performed every day only in the morning.

On the third day after performing the exercises, my mother’s pain miraculously decreased. on the fourth and fifth days, the pain became a little more severe, but on the seventh day, the pain had completely subsided and my mother’s leg swelling completely disappeared. This was like a great miracle. Almost more than a year has passed since then, and today my mother is completely healthy, every now and then she has a slight back pain, but that’s why she did the exercises for only those 7 days, and then gave it up completely. When she has back pain, she does the exercises  for 2 days, as she gets better,  she lets it go until the next time her back goes!

Edited by Mary39
forget some words to write