DQOTD: Altering Swing Weights?

Middler

I really don't have a problem getting my irons through square at impact. But with my 3h, 3w and especially my driver - I have to consciously bring the head around on the downswing, or my hands go through ahead of the club head and my drive is a push slice. I assume that's not necessarily typical, and I was wondering if adding to my swing weight might improve my swing sequence with woods/hybrids? I can just experiment with lead tape or heavier weights, but am I on the right/wrong track?

[I've been to Club Champion, and they sold me a shaft and kept my swing weight exactly the same as it was off the rack. Not a fan of CC.]

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Based on reading some information on this topic that had feedback fromTom Wishon:

when the swingweight is changed, for some golfers that can induce a change in our swing or our release such that the swing weight change could cause a golfer to rotate the head around more or less. But that is not something that happens with all golfers, not even close. And it happens only when the change in the swingweight feel to the golfer is such that it just happens to fall in synch with the golfer's tempo and swing timing. 

The only sure way that all golfers could see a change in the face angle position of the clubhead at impact is to play with a face angle that is MORE CLOSED than what the golfer used before. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Wouldn't adding weight to the head exaggerate the problem? 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Not sure, that's why I am asking?

• Like 1
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2

7 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

It could but it might not. More weight/change in feel could engage the bigger muscles more and improve sequencing for some. For other it may not change things at all or could make it worse.  I’ve been fit to heavier shafts and d3-4 drivers to improve tempo as I’m one who has had an aggressive transition 

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

39 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

37 minutes ago, Middler said:

Not sure, that's why I am asking?

It would also depend on where you placed the weight.  Heel side would slightly move the CoG toward the heel which would give the club a little more gear effect toward the toe.  Won’t eliminate right but maybe reduce by a couple of yards.   Feeling heavier might also make you feel the face being open and cause you to shut it more.   

only way to know for your swing is to try.  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yup. And there’s threads and comments in threads on wrx for how to go about doing it in a methodical way to find if it works or not.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It would also depend on where you placed the weight.  Heel side would slightly move the CoG toward the heel which would give the club a little more gear effect toward the toe.  Won’t eliminate right but maybe reduce by a couple of yards.   Feeling heavier might also make you feel the face being open and cause you to shut it more.   

That’s what I was thinking. Some lead tape and a trip to the driving range to experiment. I can’t figure out why it happens with my woods/hybrids and not my irons? The swing weights on my irons are lower, so I may be looking at this all wrong, but no harm in trying.

• Evnroll ER5B ER2

27 minutes ago, Middler said:

That’s what I was thinking. Some lead tape and a trip to the driving range to experiment. I can’t figure out why it happens with my woods/hybrids and not my irons? The swing weights on my irons are lower, so I may be looking at this all wrong, but no harm in trying.

The other thing to look at is what are the shafts that you are playing your irons and what shafts you are playing in your driver/fairways; specifically the weight of the shafts.  The balance point of your iron shafts is likely different than your diver/fairway shafts inducing this lighter feeling.  Something to look at.  Also playing with the lead tape on your driver/fairways is a good exercise.  Do you have a swing weight scale?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Middler said:

Have you checked ball position on those clubs? 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I've adjusted the swing weight on my driver after I shortened it, and you have to experiment with tape until you get the result you're looking for. I remember seeing Palmer's clubs when he played in a tournament I attended and there was tape everywhere...but he was a pro and perfectionist. I would recommend seeing a PGA pro at one of the better clubs near by and discussing your issue and getting his opinion for a solution. It may be tape or a lesson to correct.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I really don't have a problem getting my irons through square at impact. But with my 3h, 3w and especially my driver - I have to consciously bring the head around on the downswing, or my hands go through ahead of the club head and my drive is a push slice. I assume that's not necessarily typical, and I was wondering if adding to my swing weight might improve my swing sequence with woods/hybrids? I can just experiment with lead tape or heavier weights, but am I on the right/wrong track?

[I've been to Club Champion, and they sold me a shaft and kept my swing weight exactly the same as it was off the rack. Not a fan of CC.]

From the minimal information that you provided here, I am not sure that a swingweight change is necessarily in order, although it may be part of your driver and FW solution. What may provide more positive results could be a shift in the clubhead/sole weight closer to the heel — or a slightly heavier shaft — in those clubs.  The heavier shaft may be all that you need, but I suspect that this alone won’t help you to naturally square-up the clubface in your downswing.  If you have the ability to move weight around in your driver [and fairway club(s)], I would suggest that you put the heaviest sole weight in the heel position rather than in the back of the head(s).  If you have access to a heavier head weight, you might also try installing that in the heel position, which WILL add to the club’s swingweight.

The above suggestion(s) should at least provide a starting point to see if switching to heel-biased club weighting will help you to square the face at impact.

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

Just be aware that every change you make affects something else.  If you add weight to the head the flex gets softer.  If you change the weight of your grip you affect swing weight.  So be careful if you are doing this yourself.

I had similar problems.... 

one is you may not be squaring the clubface at impact.  more weight, various places may help....

you might have a slight outside in swing path.   your irons create more backspin that might mask your

sidespin.  your longer woods, have less backspin, allowing the sidespin to raise it's ugly head....

=======

try some practice swings with your hands apart (right hand gripping couple inches below left)

this promotes the right hand turning over at impact.   

this "feel"  may help you square club face.

might also help your swing become more inside out ???

good luck.

also, use a very light grip, which allows wrists to break.

a tight grip may not allow a full release.

===============

took me two years of experimentation.... changing grips, ball placement, testing weight adj on clubs;

more lower body effort to help release club.....

now my misses are big draws/hooks --- big change from push/slice

ahahahaha

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

From the minimal information that you provided here, I am not sure that a swingweight change is necessarily in order, although it may be part of your driver and FW solution. What may provide more positive results could be a shift in the clubhead/sole weight closer to the heel — or a slightly heavier shaft — in those clubs.  The heavier shaft may be all that you need, but I suspect that this alone won’t help you to naturally square-up the clubface in your downswing.  If you have the ability to move weight around in your driver [and fairway club(s)], I would suggest that you put the heaviest sole weight in the heel position rather than in the back of the head(s).  If you have access to a heavier head weight, you might also try installing that in the heel position, which WILL add to the club’s swingweight.

The above suggestion(s) should at least provide a starting point to see if switching to heel-biased club weighting will help you to square the face at impact.

I won’t jump to conclusions and I’ll experiment, but that sounds  interesting. CC recommended a lighter regular flex shaft to replace the stock (10g heavier) stiff shaft I was using. The swing weight was the same with both. I bought and used the CC shaft for 6 weeks, determined to make it work, but my dispersion was measurably worse. So I sold the CC shaft for about 25 cents on the dollar. I’ve been using the original stiff shaft for more than a year, maybe it’s a little light. Something else for me to ponder.

• Evnroll ER5B ER2

25 minutes ago, mywong23 said:

I had similar problems.... 

one is you may not be squaring the clubface at impact.  more weight, various places may help....

you might have a slight outside in swing path.   your irons create more backspin that might mask your

sidespin.  your longer woods, have less backspin, allowing the sidespin to raise it's ugly head....

=======

try some practice swings with your hands apart (right hand gripping couple inches below left)

this promotes the right hand turning over at impact.   

this "feel"  may help you square club face.

might also help your swing become more inside out ???

good luck.

also, use a very light grip, which allows wrists to break.

a tight grip may not allow a full release.

===============

took me two years of experimentation.... changing grips, ball placement, testing weight adj on clubs;

more lower body effort to help release club.....

now my misses are big draws/hooks --- big change from push/slice

ahahahaha

I go with this. If you're 0 or 1or2 degrees out to in it  and set up slightly closed  some shots with longer clubs may look like a push.  Do you know generally what your path and face to path is?

But your swing with a wood and hybrid are supposed to be different than irons. It’s the nature of the beast.  If thinking that they would remain the same, then that’s completely wrong.  The shafts are longer, swing is more of a sweep and flatter then up and down while taking a divot.  

take a lesson and it will get better.  

Driver: TM Mini 300 11.5* dialed down to 10*

3 wood, 3H, 4H, 5H, 6I-PW: Callaway Big Bertha 21

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX 48*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten

Ball:  Oncore Elixir

The longer clubs require more rotation of the clubhead to square the clubhead.  The BEST thing you can do is test by adding weight, BUT use some spray on the clubhead because you will find that adding weight will change the shaft's bend profile so u have to get the weight that allows you to hit the ball off the middle or toe side to get the draw spin / gear effect you need

Heavier weight on a draw model in the right place will help

I love the Ping G425 SFT with heavier weight than the stock weight, I am using a 35 gram weight and it helps me hit a draw which I never could do, the stock weight is a 26 gram, but mess with the head adding lead tape and see if your centerness of contact improves or worsens with added weight

Good luck

Clubmaker Steve

16 hours ago, Shinnman said:

But your swing with a wood and hybrid are supposed to be different than irons. It’s the nature of the beast.  If thinking that they would remain the same, then that’s completely wrong.  The shafts are longer, swing is more of a sweep and flatter then up and down while taking a divot.  

take a lesson and it will get better.  

My long clubs swing is decidedly different than my irons, I know the principles, that’s probably not it.

• Evnroll ER5B ER2