TESTERS WANTED! ×

DQOTD: Altering Swing Weights?

Middler

1 hour ago, Pro-V-None said:

I am a hands player now anyway. I make my hands responsible for applying the face to the ball, so I take it back preparing to bring it back with the least amount of manipulation into the ball.  I'm aiming the entire swing, I guess. I gave up on the idea of a mechanical golf swing regulated by the big muscles of the body, since most of the motion is done subconciously anyway, so why focus on it? It makes fixing things so much easier.  Slicing the ball? No need to reconsider your hip turn, shoulder turn, swing plane, elbow position, ball position, etc.  looking for the fix.  The clubface was open at impact. Close it faster so it's square next time. The hands are holding the club, so let them do it. Problem solved. Hitting the ball left. Okay, the clubface is closing early. Have it come in less closed until the ball stops going left and starts going straight. Easy. The hands can do that. And sometimes you hit bad shots, not because of swing faults, but because you're human and don't have perfect eye/hand coordination.  That's life and there's no mechanical fix for that. 

You may want to check out AJ Bonar or even some old clips by Henry Cotton.  Both of those guys advocate the hands controlling the swing helped me more than guys giving swing tips and body positions you must emulate to hit the ball well.  I'd rather just be told what the clubface is supposed to do to the ball and work out how to do it myself instead of turning the golf swing into some elaborate dance move that almost nobody will ever learn how to do successfully no matter how hard you try. 

Go check out Monte Scheinblum and his no turn cast and broom tips on Instagram you will see how the wrists work in a swing. Every swing has hip turn, shoulder turn, left and right side bend along with wrist set in the backswing and how the bow and uncock in the backswing. AMG has some really good gears 3d videos on hip turn, shoulder turn, wrist movements in the swing and some of the best are the am vs pro

everything in the golf swing is about matching up and when matchups up are off then there has to be compensation. Turning the wrists harder is a compensation for something not working wright in the backswing. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 10/16/2021 at 12:54 AM, funkyjudge said:

Not necessarily so.  Some golfers respond better and are able to square the club/clubface better with a heavier club, while others fare much better with a lighter club.  This is why, as professional clubfitters, we have a mantra that goes “test, test, and then test some more”.

and that is why I ststed "usually" Most high hncp players don't seem to have a clue where the club head is in the swing

19 minutes ago, Golfnut0226 said:

and that is why I ststed "usually" Most high hncp players don't seem to have a clue where the club head is in the swing

Why limit your statement to high handicap players?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 10/15/2021 at 3:12 PM, Middler said:

That’s what I was thinking. Some lead tape and a trip to the driving range to experiment. I can’t figure out why it happens with my woods/hybrids and not my irons? The swing weights on my irons are lower, so I may be looking at this all wrong, but no harm in trying.

For me, the head lags behind if the SW/MOI is too high for my tempo. I don't run into this problem much since I like my clubs on the heavy side. I ran into it while experimenting for the proper weighting years ago.

Odds are, if adding the lead tape makes it worse, then you need to go lighter instead. Hopefully your clubs have weights that can be changed. Otherwise, you may be looking at a reshaft. Only trying will tell.

BT

On 10/15/2021 at 2:12 PM, Middler said:

That’s what I was thinking. Some lead tape and a trip to the driving range to experiment. I can’t figure out why it happens with my woods/hybrids and not my irons? The swing weights on my irons are lower, so I may be looking at this all wrong, but no harm in trying.

Static weight, perhaps?  Guessing your woods and hybrids are significantly lighter than your irons.

When i swing a too light club, my swing goes completely in the trash heap.  I tried my friend's G20 irons a few weeks ago, couldn't even hit the ball.  He has lightweight steel in Ping G20s, I'm using 105g graphite, but my irons' swingweight was about 8 pts higher than his clubs.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 10/16/2021 at 12:00 PM, Middler said:

Lead tape isn’t supposed to be a permanent solution

That's just crazy talk.  😁

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

That's just crazy talk.  😁

Lots of pros with lead tape all over their clubs. Some of them have the entire back of an iron or wedge loaded with it. Phil is famous for his

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

image.png.86140c51056c63e70dfdad388cdf421f.png

image.png.23a862ee866b233e175e18167330f449.png

image.png.d7dc25d7b9db329c29ee3a83ad784222.png

I am of the opinion that trying to match your woods to your irons is a fool's errand.  First off SW I think is crap.  Total weight and balance point(MOI matching is much better) but you still should not match your irons because it is a different swing.

Take your driver, 3w and hybrid to the range.  Get a large roll of high density lead tape.  Experiment with placing on the shaft, head to figure it out.  I start with the shaft, many people I see are having issues with super light shafts when their irons are super heavy.  Use foot powder spray to determine your strike location as well.  You could be hitting many of them off of the heel which could be causing problems with the fade, but more than likely you, like roughly 70% of players, are more susceptible to weight and it causing a timing issue with your driver and woods.

Placement on the shaft?  You can ring it around the spot 14" below the grip, or you can mark that spot and extend above and below that mark in equal distance.  Also on the head, place equal part on the toe and heel if your strike pattern becomes erratic with the weight on the shaft.  This is how I self fit my driver a few years back to understand what head weight, shaft weight, and balance point of a shaft works best for me.

Clubs in great standing

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS - Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - UST Mamiya Black 79X
  • 5 Wood - Taylormade Sim Max - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 5 iron, Srixon ZX7 (6-9)  - Recoil 110 F5
  • Wedges - Cleveland 46, 50*, 54*, & 60* Zipcore mid bounce - Recoil 110 F5
  • Putter -  Mannkrafted MA/66 - UST Frequency Filter, LAB MEZZ.1  - BGT Stability

Clubs in good standing(fighting for one spot)....

• 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named - UST Mamiya Black 79TX | Util - Callaway Apex X Forged UTIL 21* - AD-DI | Util - Srixon ZXU 18* -  Recoil 110 F5 | Util - Callaway UW 19* - HZRDOUS smoke black 6.5

Clubs that need a timeout/replacing

@MiddlerGot any data for us to look at?How heavy is the shaft in your driver? Where on the face is your typical impact? Do you hit up or down on the ball with driver?  With my old swing, I was swinging left and down with a face open to path. (7 degrees left 2-5 degrees down, and a club face 4-7 right of path) all that equaled a fairly straight iron shot. Until late in the round when I would start squaring the face to the path and start hitting shots dead straight left. With a driver it was similar, but more exaggerated due to lack of backspin. Changing my swing path was the cure to this issue for me. Try hitting the exact opposite shape shot that you usually hit. For me, this moved my strike out towards the heel and made my miss a toe-y knuckle ball that would fall out of the sky. This was so different from my usual cut/power fade that I was encouraged to keep trying. Eventually I found the center of the face and my driving has gotten so much better over the last 25 rounds.  I think Martin Hall said, “keep doing what you’ve been doing, and you’ll keep getting what you’ve been getting.” 

The most dangerous golf swing thought I ever adopted was that my driver swing was supposed to be “different” from my iron swing. Might have wasted 2+ seasons on this idea of trying to maintain 2 different swings.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV