TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron Surprises

fixyurdivot

What irons have you tested recently that surprised you?  That it to say a make model you really expected to shine that did not, and those you didn't think would, that did?  For me it was the TMP790 and the Callaway Mavrik Pro.  I really liked the look and engineering of the P790, and had high hopes they would be among my final choices.  They weren't but pretty much just middle of the pack.  The Callaway Mavrik Pro's took my #3 spot behind the G425 and the ZX5's.  I didn't even have them on my "must try" list but the fitter brought them out so perhaps he saw something in my numbers that looked like a match.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

What irons have you tested recently that surprised you?  That it to say a make model you really expected to shine that did not, and those you didn't think would, that did?  For me it was the TMP790 and the Callaway Mavrik Pro.  I really liked the look and engineering of the P790, and had high hopes they would be among my final choices.  They weren't but pretty much just middle of the pack.  The Callaway Mavrik Pro's took my #3 spot behind the G425 and the ZX5's.  I didn't even have them on my "must try" list but the fitter brought them out so perhaps he saw something in my numbers that looked like a match.

Did he actually say that you swung like a "pro", so try these?  😂

I haven't swung any new irons since Oct 2019.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I haven't hit any news irons this year, I stayed very faithful to mine. But the last ones that I hit that I wanted to be good and had no love for were the mizuno hmb's

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

20 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Did he actually say that you swung like a "pro", so try these?  😂

I haven't swung any new irons since Oct 2019.

Yea, he was in awe.  Did I mention the Square Strike he pulled?

18 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I haven't hit any news irons this year, I stayed very faithful to mine. But the last ones that I hit that I wanted to be good and had no love for were the mizuno hmb's

The D7's seem to be treating you just fine, but it's always good to let them see other shiny metal and fend off "in the bag" complacency.   It is crazy how some iron designs just don't work.  Outwardly, one wouldn't expect that to be the case.

I really want some one to comment on the '21 Apex Pros. They walked away with most wanted and editors choice, but I can't find a single mention of them on the forums other than a posting listing a set for sale. 

I think I'll go hit some this week just to see, but surprising there is no mention of them. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

22 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I like the HMBs, but the set I have are so much lighter than my gamers, and I'm having a difficult time adjusting.  

I even reshafted my Macgregors with the same Nippon shaft that's in my Bridgestones to see if I could hit them better than the Mizunos, which are a similar design and lofts.  Well, I can!  I like the heavier shaft.  So, now I trying to decide if I should keep the HMBs and keep working on using the lighter shaft, reshaft them with the Nippons, or dump them.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 3 weeks later...

I went to get fit for new irons last Saturday.  Went in with my mind made up on the new P790s and just needed to get the shaft dialed in.  Ended up ordering the ZX5s with Project X Rifle shafts.  

I tried the P790s, ZX5, Cobra TEC, Ping I59.  The Project X Rifle gave me the best launch angle and apex.  But couldn't try that shaft with the P790s.  Fitter said Taylormade didn't send that shaft.  

Was totally surprised how well I hit the ZX5s. I hit a demo, at my club, when they first came out and wasn't impressed at all.  But think that may have been the shaft.

default_callaway-small.jpgParadym 🔹🔹🔹 9* GD Tour AD IZ 6x

default_callaway-small.jpg Rogue ST LS 3W GD Tour AD IZ 7s

default_callaway-small.jpg Rogue ST LS 5W Tensei Blue 75s

:srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 Project X 6.0

image.png.ce3b743fb59da696d0ec9ba260d600cb.png ZX7 6-PW Project X 6.0

default_titelist-small.jpg Vokey SM8 50* F Grind

default_titelist-small.jpg Vokey SM8 55* D Grind

default_titelist-small.jpg Vokey SM9 59* K Grind

:taylormade-small: Spider X Navy Small Slant 33in

default_titelist-small.jpg Pro V1

I recently tried P7MC and Jpx921 Tour, both with $taper. About 1000 revs less with P7MC resulting in meaningful distance differences from shot to shot. For me, Jpx921 tight on distance w better spin/distance control. 

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

26 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I recently tried P7MC and Jpx921 Tour, both with $taper. About 1000 revs less with P7MC resulting in meaningful distance differences from shot to shot. For me, Jpx921 tight on distance w better spin/distance control. 

A good example that a shaft may not work for someone in every head. The $taper is a great shaft but one that I’ve found not to fit me in the p7 series from TM.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was gaming Ping G30’s - I hated the look but was pleased with the performance. I thought I’d love the G410’s when they came out a few years ago - hated them from the first swing.

Was happy to be selected for the Wilson D7 forged test last fall but concerned about the smaller footprint and less offset. Turns out that I hit those better than the G30’s - go figure! 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me wholesale changes in the irons and wedge department due to my ongoing nerve issues in my back---- Driver and Fairways mostly the same--- Putter always the same when not playing vintage---- I comitted to this set up 2 weeks ago and have played and practiced and have 4 rounds in pain free.

Irons  5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CB Steelfiber 95 R shafts pristine shape in fact 5&6 irons still had plastic on them when I traded for them. I have been messing with them a year or so on the range and have more or less gotten used to the different feel for me overall

SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56* modified from 13* bounce to 10* bounce Stock KBS steel Wedge shaft was new when I did a trade deal for it

GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* 8* bounce Stock Cally shaft - This wedge was found in one of my junk pile finds rusty but did a Coke soak for 24 hrs turned out fine. Grooves like new. Have the 56 and 60 to match all have raw finish

I have built a basically TM clone Turbo Power 25* hybrid that the head was in some of my stuff still in shrink wrap. I think it came from my buds shop when he retired like 5 years ago. found a stock TM R hybrid shaft in my stash. Have not hit actual balls on the range or course yet. Will not get to do this weekend because a nasty Coastal storm with rain and wind is moving in. Did hit 10 whiffle balls in the yard this AM but it was cold and the wind getting up but it felt good weight wise and felt good on contact. Liked the weight on it from the get go. I think I can get a little more out of it from the fairway than I can the 5 iron but it is still experimental. 

I reluctently made the move from my steel shafted Machogans but do like the feel of the TMs sorta an acquired taste I guess. I decided to make the wedge switch since my beloved 588s are starting to get concave

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I was playing Wilson Di7 irons for about 5 years and thought I needed an upgrade. I picked up the Cobra Bio Cell irons and hated them. My son liked them so it was a "hear you go". I went back to Wilson and got the D200's which I liked and was playing until last year. I was selected to test the Sub-70 699 Pro irons last year. That was a game changing surprise and still sitting comfortably in my bag.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Went for an iron fitting last Sat.   Was really interested in the new Titleist T-100….. didn’t hit them very consistently. Tried the Apex TCB’s.  They were really good.   Then he handed me PXG Gen4 Tour iron.  It was far an away the best and most consistent.   Gonna hv to sell a bunch of stuff outta my ho’ closet to purchase those PXG’s.  $275 just for the head. Ouch.  

3 hours ago, revkev said:

I was gaming Ping G30’s - I hated the look but was pleased with the performance. I thought I’d love the G410’s when they came out a few years ago - hated them from the first swing.

Was happy to be selected for the Wilson D7 forged test last fall but concerned about the smaller footprint and less offset. Turns out that I hit those better than the G30’s - go figure! 

That is kind of odd about the G410's.  If memory serves, @Rickpdid not like them that well either... maybe a Florida high humidity thing? 🙂

While I was hesitant (no, make that spooked) about not being able to consistently hit the ZX5's, I'm finding that not to be an issue at all.  I do think they are a bit less forgiving than the G410 and G425's but not that bad.  I hit @Thin2win (Chris's) D7's at the range during out PNW Meet-up and liked them - but they did not perform real well at the TrueSpec fitting 🤔.  This just makes me think so many of these irons are actually very, very close in design/tech and capability, and that much of how they work for us gets down to the "on any given day" argument.

I had just the opposite effect when I went to get fitted for irons in early 2020.  TM P790s weren't even on the list, but the fitter threw them in at the end and they produced the best numbers.  For the first 3-4 rounds I really struggled to hit them (formerly playing Hogen Apex Plus) but then something just clicked and it's been really good ever since.  Agree with other posters that many times it's the shaft - also you can have a bad day that affects everything.  I know I don't swing as well on a mat as on grass, and indoors is even more difficult.  When I find something that works I realize the bad shots are not the arrow, it's the Indian.  

:titelist-small: 913D (8.5), 913Fd (15), 913h (19) Diamana shafts

:taylormade-small:  P790 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 

:benhogan-small:TK-15 52,56,60 KBS Tour Wedge

:odyssey-small: O-Works Versa #2

Pro V1x, Vice Pro Plus

On 10/16/2021 at 8:26 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I found the Mavrik Pro's to be really good for me too in fitting, but didn't pull the trigger.  And, then I tried a used set of Bridgestone J40's that showed up in the pro shop.  Hit those as good or better than I hit any of the new models in the fitting - total surprise.  
Some I thought would be good that weren't (at least that day) ... anything Mizuno - as much as MGS has always rated Mizuno's highly, I wanted them to be good for me, but I have never gotten along with any Mizuno irons.  One fitter said it could be because Mizuno's have a flatter standard lie angle than other irons ... shrug.  
For Drivers, 2 years ago, the TS2 surprised me, beating out all the others.  The TM Sim and the Ping G410 models surprised me on the bad-for-me end.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie