TESTERS WANTED! ×

I screwed up my new club build. Anyway to fix quickly and cheaply?

i finally built a full set of woods/hybrids last night, finishing about 4:30 am.  I was so proud of myself until I just put them in my 2nd golf bag and realized the sizes were wrong. After all the measuring and precautions I took to get everything right, I ended up putting the wrong shafts into the wrong clubheads, so now I have a 3 iron the length of an 8 iron and other mismatches.  I'm using the Pro Cure epoxy that says 24 hours for final cure, though only 1 hour before it says you can use the clubs.  And the expoxy was solid after about 30 minutes.

What is the best fix? Get a blow torch or heat gun, melt the expoxy, clean with drill and drill bit, sand the expoxy off the shaft tips, and re-epoxy them?

I have only assembled new clubs, never pulled used ones, so please mention the tools I'll need so I can go to the hardware store and buy them. I do not have a blow torch or power drill. I do have 2 cleaning bits that I bought from Golfworks when i bought supplies last time.  Please let me know the easiest and cheapest way to fix this screwup. I can't believe I did this.

PXL_20211017_170215150.jpg

Yeah you are going to need to redo. I am assuming these are steel shafts. You will need:

- Those cleaning brushes above
- A torch (butane is fine)
- Alcohol or Acetone (to clean the hosels and shafts)
- Some sandpaper to sand the steel shafts again to clean them up

You likely don't need to use a drill bit to clean up the hosels, those brushes put in a power drill should work

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

To add to @dlow206  if they are steel shafts you won’t need a puller. Apply heat and twist off. If they are graphite shafts you “SHOULD” use a shaft puller. I say should like that because I recommend it but some more experienced club builders can manage without one. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

When I did my first build a few weeks ago I was very careful to arrange all the shafts in order and all of the club heads in order because I was worried about doing this exact thing.  Sounds like other than some extra labor on your part there won't be any lasting consequences from the mistake.  A butane/propane torch is always handy to have around anyway....I dont' even know why I got mine to begin with but I've used it dozens of times since.  

21 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

To add to @dlow206  if they are steel shafts you won’t need a puller. Apply heat and twist off. If they are graphite shafts you “SHOULD” use a shaft puller. I say should like that because I recommend it but some more experienced club builders can manage without one. 

Unfortunately they are graphite shafts. So a butane torch, electric drill, and shaft puller and I'm set? I need to buy those tools anyway if I'm going to reshaft older clubs in the future, which I plan on doing. 

Thanks for the help, guys.  I can't believe I did that after being so careful with the measuring, cutting, taping, laying out the club heads, etc.  But I never even gave it a thought when it was time to epoxy the shafts in.  Live and learn.

29 minutes ago, Pro-V-None said:

Update:  after checking out the prices of a shaft puller, I've decided against buying one. I'll have to make it work without one. Maybe just a good clamp to secure the clubhead while I heat up the hosel and hopefully I can pull the shaft with just my own strength.

Don't try to pull graphite shafts without a shaft puller, it usually doesn't end well

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

32 minutes ago, Pro-V-None said:

Update:  after checking out the prices of a shaft puller, I've decided against buying one. I'll have to make it work without one. Maybe just a good clamp to secure the clubhead while I heat up the hosel and hopefully I can pull the shaft with just my own strength.

Good luck with the that plan, it’s not going to end well 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Pro-V-None said:

Not to be that guy.  But how about having a trained professional do it.  I’m all for guys having hobbies and fun.  But if you’re trying to do it and help your play. I’d suggest all us Am’s and higher caps(including myself in this) let the experts do it. 

Seems to be a lot of examples of late of guys messing up clubs trying to DIY. 

But if you’re just doing it for fun or and don’t care about the quality or use ability, then have at it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Not to be that guy.  But how about having a trained professional do it.  I’m all for guys having hobbies and fun.  But if you’re trying to do it and help your play. I’d suggest all us Am’s and higher caps(including myself in this) let the experts do it. 

Seems to be a lot of examples of late of guys messing up clubs trying to DIY. 

But if you’re just doing it for fun or and don’t care about the quality or use ability, then have at it. 

That's probably referring to me lol

Updated 07/15/2022

Regardless of what we consider my status to be regarding club building, with club building you can get into some unusual situations that are not the standard. For example, you pull a bunch of irons and then all of a sudden there comes a long an iron that seems like its un-pullable. I am sure more tenured professional club builders than me would have successfully pulled the clubs, but it wouldn't have been easy for anyone. And this was with proper equipment, I have a Mitchell Golf commercial grade shaft puller. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

That's probably referring to me lol

Not just you  I’ve noticed it more of late here and other places.  FB for isntance

but like I said  if it gives you pleasure and serves as learning experience, then by all means go for it  

But know I wouldn’t play any club in a round that means anything that I did the work on. Someone might get injured by flying components 😜😜

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Not just you  I’ve noticed it more of late here and other places.  FB for isntance

but like I said  if it gives you pleasure and serves as learning experience, then by all means go for it  

But know I wouldn’t play any club in a round that means anything that I did the work on. Someone might get injured by flying components 😜😜

I probably wouldn't do shafts on full swing clubs (although I might),  but I will do grips and anything with a putter since it doesn't move that fast and have the potential of flying down the course.  🙂

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, Pro-V-None said:

Unfortunately they are graphite shafts. So a butane torch, electric drill, and shaft puller and I'm set? I need to buy those tools anyway if I'm going to reshaft older clubs in the future, which I plan on doing. 

Thanks for the help, guys.  I can't believe I did that after being so careful with the measuring, cutting, taping, laying out the club heads, etc.  But I never even gave it a thought when it was time to epoxy the shafts in.  Live and learn.

I’m with the other guys here saying do not pull graphite shafts without a puller. As I said earlier some more EXPERIENCED club builders can get by but I would bet money they would still recommend using one. 

Know this upfront, if you get the shafts too hot or twist in any way you will ruin your shafts and that is undeniably more expensive than taking them to a professional. 

If you want to do the install yourself just have someone with a puller pull the shafts. Then after prepping the shafts and hosels put the clubs together temporarily so as you epoxy them in you grab the shaft and head together. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

i've run into a couple of issues recently with disassembly, which at times can be finicky for various reasons. But with assembly, as I have gained more experience, i completely trust my builds with how meticulous i am with each step. i know in the back of my mind that each build step was performed properly. have seen some really crappy jobs come out of professional shops. 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I probably wouldn't do shafts on full swing clubs (although I might),  but I will do grips and anything with a putter since it doesn't move that fast and have the potential of flying down the course.  🙂

as long as you are meticulous, assembly is not that scary. i am more worried about installing a mounted TV and ensuring i hit the middle of the studs so that the TV doesn't topple over and fall on someone than not properly assembling a golf club. 

Updated 07/15/2022

as long as you are meticulous, assembly is not that scary. i am more worried about installing a mounted TV and ensuring i hit the middle of the studs so that the TV doesn't topple over and fall on someone than not properly assembling a golf club. 

I know and have done a few adapters.  I know I can do it and I take my time;  just worry that I might hurt someone.   It is why I don't have a practice net at my house;  too worried that I will miss.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

With graphite shafts I'd recommend using a heat gun instead of a torch.  You can do it with a torch but the difference between just hot enough to pull and so hot you burn the shaft is very very small.  Unless you have a lot of experience a heat gun is much more forgiving.

I'll put another recommendation for an actual shaft puller.  It's not a cheap investment, but it doesn't take too many wrecked shafts to pay for itself.  

One thing not mentioned is that it's hard to save the ferrules when pulling a shaft.  Again it can be done, but it's usually much easier to just buy new ferrules for the rebuilding vs trying to save them.

Remember while it sucks you put the wrong heads on various shafts, you haven't wrecked anything yet.  Don't take shortcuts now and end up having to buy more shafts and do them all over again anyway.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Never thought I would be "upgrading" from the Mitchell commercial puller, but got this thing on the way. 3000 pounds of thrust plus 700 pounds of compressed spring. 

https://www.golfworks.com/golf-mechanix-reverse-thrust-shaft-puller/p/gm1068/

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

3000 pounds of thrust plus 700 pounds of compressed spring. 

that was the bio on my tinder profile. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

if you go the channel mcgolfcustomclubs and search pulling a golf shaft there a few examples of pulling various shafts and some by hand.

I didnt look to see if the shafts were graphite or steel, both are addressed in the list.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

You also may need new grips. If epoxy worked its way up the shaft on install, when you remove the shaft you may have dried epoxy that broke off and is stuck. You can heat the shaft up to burn it off, near the tip or cut the grip off so it comes out.

If you are looking for a budget shaft puller for graphite shafts, all you need is a bench vise and this. I got one last year and it works great for the price. (~$100)

https://www.golfworks.com/clubmakers-vise-graphite-shaft-extractor/p/ucmvgsr/

Edited by Angular

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 12:43 PM, dlow206 said:

Don't try to pull graphite shafts without a shaft puller, it usually doesn't end well

I tried with a shaft puller I just got in and it went poorly anyway. It was hard to get the shaft off, and I had to use my hands instead of the puller because the vice wasn't strong enough to hold the shaft as it pushed out the head.  Anyway, I ended up screwing up the graphite at the tips. I need to cut them off about an inch now, which won't work for my project. Luckily my friend wants to reshaft his old Bertha's and he's a good 1 to 2" in shaft length less than me, so it works out for both of us.  I'm just going to have him buy me new shafts and I'll just swap them in.

FWIW, it sucks pulling graphite shafts. It's hard to soften the epoxy and on one of them, I had to drill into the hosel because I couldn't pull the shaft cleanly.  Looks like it used a lot of my hosel brush trying to clean the hosel on just that one shaft removal too.  Definitely not a fan of shaft removal, at least not when they are graphite.

6 hours ago, Pro-V-None said:

I tried with a shaft puller I just got in and it went poorly anyway. It was hard to get the shaft off, and I had to use my hands instead of the puller because the vice wasn't strong enough to hold the shaft as it pushed out the head.  Anyway, I ended up screwing up the graphite at the tips. I need to cut them off about an inch now, which won't work for my project. Luckily my friend wants to reshaft his old Bertha's and he's a good 1 to 2" in shaft length less than me, so it works out for both of us.  I'm just going to have him buy me new shafts and I'll just swap them in.

FWIW, it sucks pulling graphite shafts. It's hard to soften the epoxy and on one of them, I had to drill into the hosel because I couldn't pull the shaft cleanly.  Looks like it used a lot of my hosel brush trying to clean the hosel on just that one shaft removal too.  Definitely not a fan of shaft removal, at least not when they are graphite.

Which shaft puller did you get?

Updated 07/15/2022

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 3:43 PM, dlow206 said:

I can second this! Watched some videos online on how to do it without one and I ended up breaking the tip on a driver shaft. Maybe you can take them to a shop and they will pull the heads cheaper than buying your own puller.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On 10/18/2021 at 6:12 PM, cnosil said:

I had two club heads come off and a third come very loose from a set I had a professional builder do for me .. there’s always a risk when theirs a human element is involved 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

2 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I had two club heads come off and a third come very loose from a set I had a professional builder do for me .. there’s always a risk when theirs a human element is involved 

All from the same build or separate builds from that same builder?

Updated 07/15/2022

All from the same build or separate builds from that same builder?

same build .. I had the same fitter build another set before and no problems .. but for whatever reason this set the heads came off 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

24 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

same build .. I had the same fitter build another set before and no problems .. but for whatever reason this set the heads came off 

Interesting, what clubs had the problem (brand/model)?

Updated 07/15/2022

Interesting, what clubs had the problem (brand/model)?

Cobra F8 and Oban shafts … it look like there was not enough epoxy put on I got the two redone by the fitter and the one that was loose I redid my self 

2 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I'd guess a badly mixed batch of epoxy since all were from the same build.  I always keep the piece of cardboard I mix the batch on around so I can see how it sets up the next day.  I had one batch stay soft one time and pulled the head, cleaned things up and re-epoxied it with a fresh batch.  I think that one would have flown off.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.