TESTERS WANTED! ×

TRUE AIM: THE NEXT BIG INNOVATION IN DRIVER TECHNOLOGY

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

TRUE AIM: THE NEXT BIG INNOVATION IN DRIVER TECHNOLOGY

An Official MyGolfSpy Review

www.mytrueaim.com

(CLICK HERE TO BUY YOUR TRUE AIM KIT NOW)

“True Aim is a product that has the possibility to be on EVERY driver, from the tour pro to the recreational golfer.” –Golfspy Dave

THE NEXT BIG INNOVATION IN DRIVER TECHNOLOGY

Innovations in driver design, such as the graphite shaft, titanium heads, and head adjustability, have all played a major role in defining the modern driver. These innovations have altered not only how the driver is used on tour, but they have also shaped the retail market as well. I believe that the product I bring you today, True Aim, will quickly be included in the same conversation as those other innovations and will have an impact on tour as well as your local golf shop.

That last statement likely aroused both your interest and skepticism so let me tell you some of the facts about True Aim:

• True Aim was used by a tour player at the 2011 BMW Championship.

• True Aim can not only allow you to be more accurate off the tee, but it also influences spin, launch angle, and other characteristics of your driver swing.

• All of the claims that True Aim makes are supported by extensive FlightScope™ data.

• A major shaft manufacturer was amazed that this product could generate more ball movement than a $400 shaft.

• The True Aim system allows you to optimize your tee shot using your existing driver.

• True Aim fittings can be preformed on a driving range by yourself, or with the help of golf instructor.

Now what if I was to tell you that all of this is accomplished by putting a decal on the top of your driver?

SERIOUSLY, THE TRUE AIM ALIGNMENT DECALS DO AMAZING THINGS!

Most of you reading this review right now are likely in one of two camps. You are either curious about how this is possible with a decal, or dismissive of these claims even being possible. To both groups, I say this, “read on” and your curiosity will be satisfied and your skepticism will turn into curiosity.

IMG_2969.jpg

PUTTERS HAVE PERSONALIZED ALIGNMENT SYSTEMS, BUT NOT DRIVERS…UNTIL TRUE AIM

I think that all golfers would agree that the shape of a putter and the presence or absence of sight lines and dots affect how we aim a putt. Some people need to have a sight line to make anything, while others miss everything left as soon as a line is added. The visual characteristics of a putter affect accuracy. But what about the visual characteristics of a driver? Although aesthetic elements definitely come into play when considering a driver purchase, the graphic on the top of the driver is likely overlooked in the process. Nearly all of the top graphics are just brand logos or names anyway. Could that crescent moon, chevron, or line and triangle graphic affect how you swing the club?

True Aim, and its supporting data says that the visual components on the top of the driver definitely impact how you swing the club and should be individualized, much like loft and shaft. The True Aim system challenges the idea that the top of your driver is just for company advertising. The True Aim system allows you to truly aim the driver at address and thus optimize your driver performance off the tee.

SO WHAT IS THE TRUE AIM SYSTEM?

The True Aim system, developed by Tim Tucker and Jason Goldsmith, consists of a series of alignment decals that are affixed to the top of the driver. The golfer aims the alignment decal at the target and swings normally. The right decal will allow the golfer to be more accurate, and also produce a more desirable ball flight. The amazing thing is that the wrong decal will cause a golfer to be less accurate and to produce significantly worse ball flight.

The testing process is very simple and can be accomplished solo on the range, or if you want hard numbers, with the help of a golf instructor and a FlightScope or Trackman system.

• You make three to five good swings with your driver without a decal, and then three to five more swings with each of the temporary alignment decals.

• These temporary alignment decals cling to your driver like the decal in your car window that tells you when you need an oil change.

• The data collected allows you to identify the decal that works the best.

• Take your driver with the temporary decal on the course and play golf with it.

• Once you are sure that the decal is correct for you, remove the temporary one and stick on the permanent alignment decal (which then conforms to the rules of golf).

IMG_2989.jpg

SO HOW DOES TRUE AIM SUPPORT THESE AMAZING CLAIMS?

TOUR PLAYER DATA

Let me show you the effect of the True Aim alignment decals using a PGA Tour Pro's FlightScopeâ„¢ data. This first graphic shows the shot dispersal for the pro using his regular driver without a decal, and also the results with the different True Aim alignment decal. Each circle represents a different decal, and as you can see, the circles are different sizes, and centered at different positions relative to the target line. Looking at the various circles in the graphic, you can see that some of the True Aim decals had a negative impact on dispersion and also overall shot shape. Keep in mind; the observed variation in the data is from the dialed in driver swing of a tour pro.

PGA_graph.jpg

PGA_table.jpg

Now lets look at some isolated circles. The circle in the first graphic is for the pro's regular driver without a decal, while the second is from the same player, with the same driver, but now with the Reversed T alignment decal on the top.

PGA_own_driver.jpg

PGA_RT template.jpg

Here are two interesting pieces of data from FlightScopeâ„¢ as well. Look at the difference in the swing characteristics between the pro's driver without a decal and with the Reversed T decal.

PGA_norm_facedata.jpg

PGA_RT_facedata.jpg

Changing the True Aim decal changed the driver swing characteristics and with them the accuracy and ball flight, period.

5 HCP DATA

This FlightScope™ data was recorded for my friend Pete. We met Tim Tucker, the inventor of True Aim, one evening at a local driving range. After a few warm-up balls, Tim took Pete through the series of alignment decals and recorded the swing characteristics. Pete is a good driver of the ball, but does at times miss to the left. After working through the decals, we discovered that the “I” alignment decal produced the most accurate results, and that Pete's ball flight was now a high fade. Watching this first hand, I can tell you that Pete was awestruck at the effect. The decal caused Pete to open the club a bit more than he would normally do, and thus the high fade. Pete didn't change his driver, just how he saw his driver.

peter_graph.jpg

Peter_Data.jpg

GOLFSPY DAVE DATA

Unfortunately, due to wisdom teeth being pulled 24 hours prior, I was not able to have Tim run me through the FlightScopeâ„¢ process when we fit Pete. Thankfully though, I was able to test out the templates on a Trackman (thanks to Bobby Siravo at iFit Golf in Folsom, CA) and then also by myself on a driving range. Driving the ball is definitely the weakest part of my game and so I thought that if a hacker like me could see improvements with the True Aim alignment decals then anyone could see improvements.

TRACKMAN TESTING

Here are the average values for the different decals. The average reflects five swings where I felt like I made good contact with the ball. I was amazed at the affect that the alignment decals had on my swing.

TM Data_Golfspy_Dave.jpg

Here are some of my findings:

• Some decals were horrible for me, causing me to top and shank balls numerous balls just to get five with decent contact.

• The “C” decal showed promise, but the Parallel I decal was amazing.

• The Parallel I was the last alignment decal that I hit (i.e. I was tired), and my distance numbers were close to with the ones that I got hitting my driver without a decal.

• The Parallel I decal lowered my backspin numbers by a ton!

• While my standard driver produced inconsistent ball flight (straight, straight, pull hook, fade, push) adding the Parallel I alignment decal produced the most consistent flight of the session (straight x4, draw).

DRIVING RANGE TESTING

On the driving range, I followed the guidelines in the True Aim kit. I hit the different alignment decals in the order on the scorecard, and generated a score for each one. I expected that the Parallel I would again be the best for me.

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Here is a summary of the self-fitting instructions in the True Aim kit:

• Hit three solid shots with each alignment decal and then record points based upon where the ball ends up on the range relative to the aim line on the scorecard.

• Go slow and gentle as you remove the temporary decals from the driver, as they can be damaged if you are too rough pulling them off.

• Once you identify the highest scoring decal, go play golf with it on.

• Once it works on the course, switch to the permanent version of the alignment decal.

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

The results were similar to what I experienced with the Trackman. From looking at the data, I can see that there is a particular commonality to the decals that helped and those that hindered. The Reversed T, single line, and the True Aim logo decals were terrible for me. The Reversed C and the Parallel I decal were both strong, as was the box decal. It is difficult to quantify the feeling, but I just knew that I was going to hit the ball better when the “correct” alignment decal was on my driver at address.

I can't begin to explain the science behind why this works, but the presence of the alignment decal on the top of the driver during that range session definitely impacted my swing. And therein lies the beauty of True Aim. If you have access to a FlightScopeâ„¢ or Trackman, you can get numerical data and have hard evidence to select the correct decal choice. But you don't need fancy high-tech equipment to use the True Aim system. You can find out which alignment decal works for you using just the True Aim kit, a bucket of balls, and the driving range. That is how close you are right now to driving the ball more accurately.

IMG_2990.jpg

ARE YOU CONVINCED YET?

This product is going to explode through the marketplace. Remember that you heard about it here first at MyGolfSpy. You may still be skeptical, but mark my words; True Aim will be the most influential product to come out in 2012 and here's why:

• Endorsement negotiations are underway with big name golf instructors.

• Tour players, not only on the PGA but also the Champions Tour and LPGA tour, are using True Aim.

• Having the permanent template on your driver conforms to the rules of golf.

• Golfers can fit themselves on the driving range.

• The final product will cost around $30

SHHHHH. I HAVE A SECRET DEAL FOR YOU.

I have saved the best feature of this True Aim review for last. The folks at True Aim have put together a prototype kit and MyGolfSpy readers get the first shot at them. These kits include a set of the temporary alignment decals for fitting, a set of “permanent” decals for once you find the right one, a graph for recording your fitting data, along with detailed instructions for self-fitting.

All of this for $19.95 plus shipping (and tax for CA residents).

Twenty bucks and you can optimize your driving with your own driver. Now is the chance to do it before the rest of your foursome does.

Here is the PayPal link: CLICK HERE TO BUY YOUR TRUE AIM KIT

IMG_2963.jpg

WANT TO WIN A TRUE AIM KIT?

True Aim is also giving away a kit to five lucky MGS readers. Just leave a comment below and you are entered. Tweet a link to this article, including the hashtag #mytrueaim, and you get another entry. Like the True Aim Facebook page (HERE) and you get another entry. Winners will be announced December 19th.

IMG_2958.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Dave told me that the "biggest product of 2012" was a decal, I laughed so loud that I didn't need to type "LOL" because he could hear me all the way in California. After reading this...I WANT IT! There's no question that driving is historically the weakest part of my game, and if this could fix it...well, it's worth much more than $30. I'm very excited to get my kit and give it a go!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

When Dave told me that the "biggest product of 2012" was a decal, I laughed so loud that I didn't need to type "LOL" because he could hear me all the way in California. After reading this...I WANT IT! There's no question that driving is historically the weakest part of my game, and if this could fix it...well, it's worth much more than $30. I'm very excited to get my kit and give it a go!

I had a good lump of the same skepticism when I saw it. But data is data and I know what happened when I tested it on the range. I truly believe that True Aim will be way more important in the marketplace this coming season than adding two settings to a sole plate or whatever.

The parallel I template is on my driver.

Volvo Intorqueo

As a golf professional you always laugh and say to yourself "Boy, golfers will buy anything!" However, as a golfer, you think "I'd do almost anything to hit more fairways."

I would highly consider trying something like this. When I was reading, I was saying to myself "decals? that you take off and on? those are illegal." How exactly are the permanent ones applied?

Heck, the "line-em up" product sells like hot cakes so it must work for people when they're putting. Combine these two items and you'd have a stellar combination.

• SPY VIP

As a golf professional you always laugh and say to yourself "Boy, golfers will buy anything!" However, as a golfer, you think "I'd do almost anything to hit more fairways."

I would highly consider trying something like this. When I was reading, I was saying to myself "decals? that you take off and on? those are illegal." How exactly are the permanent ones applied?

Heck, the "line-em up" product sells like hot cakes so it must work for people when they're putting. Combine these two items and you'd have a stellar combination.

The permanent decals have a stronger adhesive that sticks them "permanently" to the top of the driver. Much like the registration tag from the DMV on the license plate. I guess that when they become a permanent part of the club, then they conform to the rules of golf. The temporary decals do not conform though.

I was told that the permanent ones will come off, but not easily. Think a well stuck bumper sticker...

Volvo Intorqueo

Im going to have to try these, but the only way is if I get it for free. Numbers or not, I cant justify $30.00 on stickers. My driver has no markings at all on the crown currently

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

Hmm. . .never say never, right?!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Would be very interested in product but concerned about what this does to resale value of the club. If the aiming decal does not work for the next buyer what happens to the club. Is the "permanent" decal actually removable?

Driver:         Taylormade SIM 8^  Shaft: Evolution III 6X

3 Wood:      Titleist  TSi3 13.5^   Shaft:  Project X Smoke Black RDX 6.5

2 Hybrid:     Callaway Mavrik Pro  Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Black 85X

3/5 Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2            Shaft: Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 85X

Irons:           Taylormade P790      Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S (6-PW)

50 Degree: Taylormade P770       Shaft: UST Recoil 110 S

55/60:        Cleveland RTX Zipcore    Shaft: DG Spinner Tour Issue

Putter:        Bettinardi MK Armlock

• SPY VIP

Would be very interested in product but concerned about what this does to resale value of the club. If the aiming decal does not work for the next buyer what happens to the club. Is the "permanent" decal actually removable?

It is removable, but it is likely not to come off in one nice piece like the temporary. I'll ask the True Aim guys for more info.

Maybe once you get the right decal on, you will not be selling drivers as often :)

Volvo Intorqueo

If Tim is a right about this as he has been about other things in the past, this is a big, big winner....

Callaway Epic driver

(Not delivered yet)

Titleist 917 D2 driver

Titleist C16 irons or

Callaway Apex16 irons

Callaway Apex hybrids

Scotty dual balance notchback putter

I'm very intrigued, worth a shot for $20.

I'm also interested if you tested this out on fairway woods or hybrids? Seems like the same logic would apply.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

I'm very intrigued, worth a shot for $20.

I'm also interested if you tested this out on fairway woods or hybrids? Seems like the same logic would apply.

According to the True Aim guys, the logic does apply and they will have decals for woods and hybrids in the future.

I did not test them, but what they said is that most of the testers ended up with a different decal from the one on the driver.

Makes sense with the shape of the wood or hybrid head being different.

More to come for sure.

Volvo Intorqueo

One more follow up question...Do they come in black? I have a white driver, just worried about the contrast with a white sticker.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For more information and to purchase your kit, go to www.mytrueaim.com.

• SPY VIP

A bunch of videos have been posted on the True Aim YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyTrueAim?feature=watch

Here is the intro one. The others go through the seven steps of the process to find the right alignment decal for you.

Volvo Intorqueo

It is removable, but it is likely not to come off in one nice piece like the temporary. I'll ask the True Aim guys for more info.

Maybe once you get the right decal on, you will not be selling drivers as often :)

The permanent adhesive is similar to a bumper sticker and can be removed if you scrape it - maybe with the edge of a credit card. We've tested it with several drivers - it has not peeled the paint or discolored the head of the driver for any that we have tested.

By putting the decal at an angle, this seems like a good way to tune how open/closed your club is (think ASP plate without having to ground the club). The decal will help you consistently open/close the club face to the same degree by giving you a straight line to line up against the ball.

One of the things that is the most interesting about your comment is that the decal really does allow you to fine tune your driver and you as a player are unaware that you have made any kind of swing change. So for someone who has access to a FlightScope or other device, you can take the optimization to a whole new level by making very slight changes to the position of the temporary decal. You can make changes in face angle or attack angle that are so minimal, it would be hard for a player to make such a small change alone - the decal does it for them without the player even recognizing that they have made a change.

According to the True Aim guys, the logic does apply and they will have decals for woods and hybrids in the future.

I did not test them, but what they said is that most of the testers ended up with a different decal from the one on the driver.

Makes sense with the shape of the wood or hybrid head being different.

More to come for sure.

Our plan is to make fairway wood and hybrid decals in the weeks to come. They will be slightly smaller in size. Collecting data on these now.

• SPY VIP

Just a reminder that True Aim will be giving away 5 True Aim kits to MGS readers this Monday, 12/19.

Just reply to this post for an entry. Get additional entries by liking the True Aim Facebook page or tweeting a link to this review with the hashtag #mytrueaim

Ask your questions... Let other MGS readers know your thoughts on True Aim and win.

Volvo Intorqueo

A Sticker? seriously.... a sticker?? this is BRILLIANT!!!

Can't wait to get my hands on this and see for myself. Makes total sense, but seriously, I was thinking something way more substantial and expensive.

Looking forward to learning to aim better. Just wish there was a way to hide it so my playing partners wouldn't see what it is that's helping. ;-)

Archived