Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TRUE AIM: THE NEXT BIG INNOVATION IN DRIVER TECHNOLOGY

GolfSpy Dave

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SPY VIP

Update on my True Aim set up. I recently traded drivers from a D2 to a D3 Titleist. I had my Perp I on the D2 and when I switched to the D3 I figured it would be the same sticker. Not the case I had to change to the Para I. I started out with the I one direction and couldn't hit the side of the driving range but, after moving the alignment I was striping it right down the middle of the range.

Couple days after putting the new driver in play I shot 71 with 12/14 fairways (two fairways missed one with three wood and the other just a bad swing.) My best score in a year and a half. I AM SOLD!!!!

Every time I tell people they look at me like I am crazy, ok I am crazy and just drove it by you 50 yards down the middle.

"If you like to hit it in the trees, don't buy one of the kits. If you like to hit fairways buy one NOW!"

So interesting that even a relatively subtle change from a D2 to a D3 would necessitate changing the decals.

My kits are sitting here on my desk, but I'm going to hold off on doing anything with them until I settle on my (spring) 2012 driver.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some feedback we received from Gordon, a golf instructor:

"The feedback has been excellent and the presentation is superb. It is such a simple idea but an idea that can only go to improve anyones game.

I tried it on a student yesterday who was having a terrible time off the tee. Having shown him the product earlier before the lesson, when out on the practice ground I went back into the shop and took out the True Aim Pack. I asked him to apply whichever of the decals he preferred; he tried two. When he applied the second {The T shaped Decal } something clicked, all of a sudden he understood what I had been trying to get through to him about alignment, and yes youve guessed it the next 10 drives were straight down the middle. Guess what he wants a pack."

Anyone else have any feedback?

For more information and to purchase your kit, go to www.mytrueaim.com.

I took my True Aim kit recently for a short test session. A couple initial thoughts:

1) A full test session (testing every alignment aid 3 times) would require 45 driver swings, and that assumes you don't mishit any. I'm not sure about anyone else, but that's a lot of drivers for me. I think I will need to work through the decals over time.

2) I really wish I had a launch monitor. I saw in Dave's review that some of the decals not only helped alignment but also improved launch conditions. I saw a couple of the decals seemed to increase the launch angle of the drive, but it's impossible for me to tell which decals led to the longest drives. Distance will obviously play a role in what decal I choose, and that was just too tough to gauge accurately.

3) This builds of the first point a bit, but I don't feel like I would be satisfied with 3 swings as a way of knowing which decal was best. I believe that I will probably work my way through the decals slowly eliminating them from contention. Unfortunately, my driver swing is just too inconsistent for me to know for sure if 3 good or bad results are caused by the decal or the swing.

Overall, I'm still very excited about finding an alignment aid that will help me to improve my driving. While I'm coming to realize that the process will take longer than I initially thought, I'm still looking forward to it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Rumor has it that Ben Crane had the True Aim alignment decals on his driver, fairways, and hybrids today in his second place finish at the Phoenix Open.

I haven't seen the coverage yet, but the decals are visible as he tees off on 13 during today's round.

I'll try and find a link to the video.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I went through the complete process, I miss-hit probably 5-8 balls, so was over 50 driver swings... it was a long and tedious process taking a swing, writing down a score, lining up again, doing that again three times, then pealing the decal, sticking a new one and so on.

I DID see an immediate difference in ball flight with each sticker change.

I didn't find one that screamed louder than any other, but two or three that seemed close, and I picked one that seemed to be the "safest" with the misses I still had using it.

I played the temp decal for about two weeks, and I immediately began slicing all of my drives and my iron shots.

can't blame it on the decal, but I took the decal off in the meantime.

I think I'll go back to trying them one at a time on the course maybe for a round or two each and see over time if one comes out the winner or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through the complete process, I miss-hit probably 5-8 balls, so was over 50 driver swings... it was a long and tedious process taking a swing, writing down a score, lining up again, doing that again three times, then pealing the decal, sticking a new one and so on.

I DID see an immediate difference in ball flight with each sticker change.

I didn't find one that screamed louder than any other, but two or three that seemed close, and I picked one that seemed to be the "safest" with the misses I still had using it.

I played the temp decal for about two weeks, and I immediately began slicing all of my drives and my iron shots.

can't blame it on the decal, but I took the decal off in the meantime.

I think I'll go back to trying them one at a time on the course maybe for a round or two each and see over time if one comes out the winner or not.

Hi, Tim. Thanks for your feedback. We have heard from others about the amount of drivers to get through the process and are recommending to people that they may want to break it up into two sessions. Let us know when you've gone back to trying them one at a time and what your results are.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this product really legal? I am not a PGA Pro. But I do play in tournaments. I would hate to be told, "sorry cannot use that site line now take it off" at 7am in some parking lot... So did someone really use it in the BMW Tourney and is it really legal? I think if you don't play in sanctioned events the most guys SHOULD use this. I often see guys just lined up wrong. It's a good drive but, because they are pointed too far right or left their ball ends up off the fairway.

• SPY VIP

Is this product really legal? I am not a PGA Pro. But I do play in tournaments. I would hate to be told, "sorry cannot use that site line now take it off" at 7am in some parking lot... So did someone really use it in the BMW Tourney and is it really legal? I think if you don't play in sanctioned events the most guys SHOULD use this. I often see guys just lined up wrong. It's a good drive but, because they are pointed too far right or left their ball ends up off the fairway.

Multiple tour pros have used TrueAim during PGA events this year. Some will have the alignment decals on this week, I am sure.

Two top 10 finishes so far as well...

Volvo Intorqueo

Your product really interests me. I have always had trouble with alignment with putting. I was very particular when trying to find a putter with the right type of alignment aid that suited my eye. I never considered my alignment aids as much when it came to clubs of the tee. This may be due to the fact that a large percentage of driver have no alignment aids. I know when I have hit a good drive, but missed the fairway due to incorrect alignment. It has happened probably more then I would like to admit. I have two drivers and neither of them have any alignment aid.

I had a look at the different decals you have created and I have a question for you. Just from looking at the different decals online I was immediately drawn to a couple of them over the others. With you customer experiences so far have you found that people are drawn to certain decals just from initially looking at them? If so, have you found that the decals they are drawn to before testing are the ones they end up having the best results with? Or do they end up finding the best results with a decal that didn't initially appeal to them?

Driver - Alpha V5 LX 10.2* | Accra Dymatch S2-65 M4 43.75"

Hybrid - TEE XCG-3 #2 16*

Hybrid - Alpha C830.4LX 19* | Accra Dymatch M4

Hybrid - Alpha C830.4LX 22* | Aerotech Steelfiber i125 6.0

Irons - Alpha C1 Pro 4-PW | Aerotech Steelfiber i125 6.0

Wedges - Alpha PF-2 52/08, 56/10 | Aerotech Steelfiber i125 6.0

Putter - Yes Jennifer | 33" SuperStroke Ultra Slim with DIY 30g counter weight

curious to see what the guys from True Aim have experienced, but from my own experience, when I was going through the process, I thought for sure that 1 sticker was going to be correct just by visually looking at them, and what worked for me was not that sticker....

Multiple tour pros have used TrueAim during PGA events this year. Some will have the alignment decals on this week, I am sure.

Two top 10 finishes so far as well...

The temporary decals are not conforming, but the permanent decals do conform to the rules of golf. The decals have been in play at several Tour events this season. Good question.

Your product really interests me. I have always had trouble with alignment with putting. I was very particular when trying to find a putter with the right type of alignment aid that suited my eye. I never considered my alignment aids as much when it came to clubs of the tee. This may be due to the fact that a large percentage of driver have no alignment aids. I know when I have hit a good drive, but missed the fairway due to incorrect alignment. It has happened probably more then I would like to admit. I have two drivers and neither of them have any alignment aid.

I had a look at the different decals you have created and I have a question for you. Just from looking at the different decals online I was immediately drawn to a couple of them over the others. With you customer experiences so far have you found that people are drawn to certain decals just from initially looking at them? If so, have you found that the decals they are drawn to before testing are the ones they end up having the best results with? Or do they end up finding the best results with a decal that didn't initially appeal to them?

This is a great discussion topic. Thank you for bringing it up. We have occasionally had people that chose the decal that had the best result because the decal shape was appealing to their eye. However, what happens much more often is the golfer has the best result with a decal shape that they did not expect. This is an important lesson because it demonstrates the importance of doing a complete evaluation with all the decal shapes before making a decision. It is very possible that the least appealing shape to the eye yields the best result.

curious to see what the guys from True Aim have experienced, but from my own experience, when I was going through the process, I thought for sure that 1 sticker was going to be correct just by visually looking at them, and what worked for me was not that sticker....

Yes, that has been our experience. It is the exception that the decal the golfer finds the most appealing visually is the one that yields the best result.

We're running our two for one special that is closing out tonight at midnight. If you've been thinking about trying True Aim, now might be a good time - you and a friend can go through the fitting process together. You can place orders through our www.mytrueaim.com website - choose the Buy Now button.

Our full website will be launched very soon. Speaking of which, if you'd like to be featured, please send us your videos (1-2 minutes in length, horizontal in orientation) - we're looking for some stars to show on our new home page - so the two for one is a perfect fit - you can video each other!

Please keep the questions coming and if you'd like more info, please sign up for our newsletter. We profile three users and a professional in each issue.

We're running our two for one special that is closing out tonight at midnight. If you've been thinking about trying True Aim, now might be a good time - you and a friend can go through the fitting process together. You can place orders through our www.mytrueaim.com website - choose the Buy Now button.

I ordered my TrueAim kit. Was the checkout supposed to indicate 2 for the price of 1 or were you guys just sending out two with all orders?

Driver - Alpha V5 LX 10.2* | Accra Dymatch S2-65 M4 43.75"

Hybrid - TEE XCG-3 #2 16*

Hybrid - Alpha C830.4LX 19* | Accra Dymatch M4

Hybrid - Alpha C830.4LX 22* | Aerotech Steelfiber i125 6.0

Irons - Alpha C1 Pro 4-PW | Aerotech Steelfiber i125 6.0

Wedges - Alpha PF-2 52/08, 56/10 | Aerotech Steelfiber i125 6.0

Putter - Yes Jennifer | 33" SuperStroke Ultra Slim with DIY 30g counter weight

I ordered my TrueAim kit. Was the checkout supposed to indicate 2 for the price of 1 or were you guys just sending out two with all orders?

Thanks for your order! We're sending two out - your kits will be mailed out today! Looking forward to your feedback.

I had a good lump of the same skepticism when I saw it. But data is data and I know what happened when I tested it on the range. I truly believe that True Aim will be way more important in the marketplace this coming season than adding two settings to a sole plate or whatever.

The parallel I template is on my driver.

So... you spent $20 for a sticker that lined up perfectly with the chevron on top of the crown? LMAO!!

If anyone is truly convinced this works, remind me why so many people want the belly/long putters banned.

• SPY VIP

So... you spent $20 for a sticker that lined up perfectly with the chevron on top of the crown? LMAO!!

If anyone is truly convinced this works, remind me why so many people want the belly/long putters banned.

It works Justin. The alignment decal on top of the driver is quite different in appearance than the chevron by itself.

You can choose not to believe in the data, but the data still supports the notion that TrueAim works.

There are people supporting this product in the industry who are a lot more golf tech savvy than myself.

Tour pros and top tour instructors would not risk their incomes and reputations on something that was just a "sticker".

Volvo Intorqueo

We understand your skepticism and suspect there may be others that feel the same way. What data or information can we provide you with to help you understand how True Aim affects a golfer's perception and as a result, their driver accuracy?

I would be interested in having you ask folks to tell you which shape they picked for which driver. After you have reached some number of data points, it would be interesting to see if there is a quasi-statistically significant correlation between drivers and shapes. i.e. are folks with R11's tending to pick the parallel lines and Titleist driver folks picking the box shapes? I am curious if there might be a way to narrow down the testing process to by driver based on the results of those who have gone before. Once I go through with my testing (I will be testing the 2011 R11 and the 2011 Titleist drivers once it warms up a bit more) I will be happy to share my results. You will also have the results from the pro's that you can throu into the hopper.. Just a hunch I have...

Callaway Epic driver

(Not delivered yet)

Titleist 917 D2 driver

Titleist C16 irons or

Callaway Apex16 irons

Callaway Apex hybrids

Scotty dual balance notchback putter

I would be interested in having you ask folks to tell you which shape they picked for which driver. After you have reached some number of data points, it would be interesting to see if there is a quasi-statistically significant correlation between drivers and shapes. i.e. are folks with R11's tending to pick the parallel lines and Titleist driver folks picking the box shapes? I am curious if there might be a way to narrow down the testing process to by driver based on the results of those who have gone before. Once I go through with my testing (I will be testing the 2011 R11 and the 2011 Titleist drivers once it warms up a bit more) I will be happy to share my results. You will also have the results from the pro's that you can throu into the hopper.. Just a hunch I have...

Good question and something we've noted for a future newsletter issue. To date, there has not been a trend or standout in terms of which shape is most effective. We thought there might be but there hasn't been. At the PGA Tour level, we do not use the True Aim logo decal or the rectangle decal - we only fit with the line, T, C and I shapes (in both positions - horizontal and vertical). Even at that level, there has not been a standout. We have noted your request and think it will be an excellent data point and discussion topic in the future.

We thought you might be interested in seeing some FlightScope data from a well known PGA Tour player. Notice the data across the bottom of the report. Virtually every measurement improved including a significant change in spin rate and improved ball speed, carry distance, and total distance. The most significant change was his dispersion pattern that was reduced from 31 yards to 7 yards with the Reverse T decal. We suspect that many of you will want to know who the player is and unfortunately, because we do not have an endorsement agreement with the player, it would be inappropriate for us to use their name at this time. More soon.

Tour Player1 - No Decal.jpg

Tour Player1 - Optimized.jpg

Archived