Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TRUE AIM: THE NEXT BIG INNOVATION IN DRIVER TECHNOLOGY

GolfSpy Dave

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We thought you might be interested in seeing some FlightScope data from a well known PGA Tour player. Notice the data across the bottom of the report. Virtually every measurement improved including a significant change in spin rate and improved ball speed, carry distance, and total distance. The most significant change was his dispersion pattern that was reduced from 31 yards to 7 yards with the Reverse T decal. We suspect that many of you will want to know who the player is and unfortunately, because we do not have an endorsement agreement with the player, it would be inappropriate for us to use their name at this time. More soon.

1.41 smash factor?? Is he hitting a 3-wood or doing something funky? Even with a 3-wood, the vast majority of the tour pros are in the high 1.4's. I just bought one, but am curious as to the anomaly.

1.41 smash factor?? Is he hitting a 3-wood or doing something funky? Even with a 3-wood, the vast majority of the tour pros are in the high 1.4's. I just bought one, but am curious as to the anomaly.

We've had a couple of comments specific to the data so we thought this would be a good time to provide a little more information. This player releases the club so hard that he swings extremely out to in so that his path is more left than his face. His desired ball flight is a fade. If you look at the first screen shot, you'll notice that his club path is 7.2 degrees left. His vertical launch is 12.7 so even though the face is closed, it's not closed to the path which translates to having an open face to path, which creates more loft, which creates a higher vertical launch angle, which may create more back spin. With a smash factor of 1.4, we can assume he hit the ball well off center, which may also create more spin. Because he's swinging 4.7 degrees left, it's hard to maintain centerness of hit - one dimple off center will reduce the smash factor. The fitting was done at 7am and the temperature was in the low 50s, which also will affect carry and total distance. We hope this is helpful.

For more information and to purchase your kit, go to www.mytrueaim.com.

How would that work on an R11?

Don't think it would show very well,but might be willing to give it a try.

Swamp, I think I speak for the majority of MGSers when I note that while I like cool-looking clubs, it is performance that counts. I would happily bag a K-Mart Special Maxfli driver with 18* of loft, with a pink Annika Sorenstam Model Estrogen shaft with an Overian grip, provided it consistent went 270-285 down the middle of the fairway. Yeah, I get off on having spent a ludicrous amount of money on my driver, but I would ditch it in an instant for better performance.

We've had a couple of comments specific to the data so we thought this would be a good time to provide a little more information. This player releases the club so hard that he swings extremely out to in so that his path is more left than his face. His desired ball flight is a fade. If you look at the first screen shot, you'll notice that his club path is 7.2 degrees left. His vertical launch is 12.7 so even though the face is closed, it's not closed to the path which translates to having an open face to path, which creates more loft, which creates a higher vertical launch angle, which may create more back spin. With a smash factor of 1.4, we can assume he hit the ball well off center, which may also create more spin. Because he's swinging 4.7 degrees left, it's hard to maintain centerness of hit - one dimple off center will reduce the smash factor. The fitting was done at 7am and the temperature was in the low 50s, which also will affect carry and total distance. We hope this is helpful.

Actually, I think the important data in the improvement with the True Aim. You just have to be careful when releasing Flightscope or Trackman data. These devices are becoming very popular with top teaching pros and their students. When they see data that appears strange, the discussion will rapidly deteriorate from your point of view away from the benefits of True Aim into a flameout about the data.

• SPY VIP

How would that work on an R11?

Don't think it would show very well,but might be willing to give it a try.

The decals show up fine on the white heads. The pro that I watched get fit at Pebble was a TM pro with all white woods.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Swamp, I think I speak for the majority of MGSers when I note that while I like cool-looking clubs, it is performance that counts. I would happily bag a K-Mart Special Maxfli driver with 18* of loft, with a pink Annika Sorenstam Model Estrogen shaft with an Overian grip, provided it consistent went 270-285 down the middle of the fairway. Yeah, I get off on having spent a ludicrous amount of money on my driver, but I would ditch it in an instant for better performance.

I actually have the R11 as a back-up, waiting for a Miyazaki shaft to replace the standard OEM Blur. I found a Cleveland XL270 (slightly used) in Lumpy's for $100 and find I get more distance and tighter dispersion with it than the R11, so the R11 is in the garage storage area.

Didn't realize the decals were gray--appeared white in pics (to these OLD eyes)

I actually have the R11 as a back-up, waiting for a Miyazaki shaft to replace the standard OEM Blur. I found a Cleveland XL270 (slightly used) in Lumpy's for $100 and find I get more distance and tighter dispersion with it than the R11, so the R11 is in the garage storage area.

Didn't realize the decals were gray--appeared white in pics (to these OLD eyes)

We found a picture of the I decal on a white driver. The photo quality isn't that great but it will give you an idea of the contrast. We've received from many R11 owners that the decal looks (and works!) well on the R11.

CIMG6252.JPG

Follow up question on the R11 (or any other driver): do you try to align the stickers with the alignment aid on the crown or with the center of the clubface? The pic above seems to show the latter, but I wonder if that conflict wouldn't be distracting.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Follow up question on the R11 (or any other driver): do you try to align the stickers with the alignment aid on the crown or with the center of the clubface? The pic above seems to show the latter, but I wonder if that conflict wouldn't be distracting.

Good question. We have not had any reports of players feeling that the decal in conjunction with a mark on the top of the driver was distracting. Typically, we don't consider the mark that the manufacturer puts on the club head, meaning that we do the fitting process with the decal in multiple positions (horizontal or vertical to the face) regardless of the mark. The decals can also be fine tuned (open or closed) depending on the desired result.

Good question. We have not had any reports of players feeling that the decal in conjunction with a mark on the top of the driver was distracting. Typically, we don't consider the mark that the manufacturer puts on the club head, meaning that we do the fitting process with the decal in multiple positions (horizontal or vertical to the face) regardless of the mark. The decals can also be fine tuned (open or closed) depending on the desired result.

and that is my only hesitation to trying these. It seems there would be countless possible combinations one would have to run through before finding not only the "best" sticker, but the best location on the clubhead as well.

I DO think you folks are on to something with this though, and I bet it works great when you find your perfect set-up! It's tempting too since personally, I could use a little tighter dispersion off the tee.

BK

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

and that is my only hesitation to trying these. It seems there would be countless possible combinations one would have to run through before finding not only the "best" sticker, but the best location on the clubhead as well.

I DO think you folks are on to something with this though, and I bet it works great when you find your perfect set-up! It's tempting too since personally, I could use a little tighter dispersion off the tee.

BK

BK,

Having started the process myself, it is a daunting task. I think it's best if you have the time and ability to break the testing up into sections. Try a couple stickers at a time and try to eliminate one or two. Once you find the best sticker, you can mess with position and alignment. At least that' s been my approach so far.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

BK,

Having started the process myself, it is a daunting task. I think it's best if you have the time and ability to break the testing up into sections. Try a couple stickers at a time and try to eliminate one or two. Once you find the best sticker, you can mess with position and alignment. At least that' s been my approach so far.

You both have made an excellent point and we are considering modifying our instructions to include a recommendation of breaking the testing session into two parts. Generally, we suggest that you try each decal in the horizontal and vertical positions and then, once you find the one that yields the results you want, play a practice round with it, and then affix the permanent decal. Keep us posted on your results.

• 2 weeks later...

True Aim pic.jpgThis one is for the ladies - here's testimonial from Shanna in Virginia:

Hello True Aim!

I wanted to take a moment to provide you with a testimonial for your True Aim product. I was recently fitted for my True Aim and recently put the decal on my driver. Last weekend, I played 18 holes at Raspberry Falls in Leesburg, VA and I hit all but one fairway during my round and I shot a 94 which is my best score ever! It is without question that I'm hitting more fairways consistently with the True Aim decal on my driver!

Thank you for introducing this great product to the market place! Please note I've attached a fun picture with me and my True Aim decal on my driver!

All the best,

Shanna

• 4 weeks later...

You both have made an excellent point and we are considering modifying our instructions to include a recommendation of breaking the testing session into two parts. Generally, we suggest that you try each decal in the horizontal and vertical positions and then, once you find the one that yields the results you want, play a practice round with it, and then affix the permanent decal. Keep us posted on your results.

Hello. I would like to try out this product. Before I place the order, just checking in to see if there are any order codes for MyGolfSpy members. If not, no worries, but figured it was worth asking!

Thanks!

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Hello. I would like to try out this product. Before I place the order, just checking in to see if there are any order codes for MyGolfSpy members. If not, no worries, but figured it was worth asking!

Thanks!

Good question - no special order codes for MyGolfSpy members, but thanks for asking!

Good question - no special order codes for MyGolfSpy members, but thanks for asking!

Thanks for quick reply. Order just placed, looking forward to giving this a go.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Some of you may know Leith Anderson, one of the top 100 club fitters in the US. He's based on Northern California at The Golf Lab and Tim and Jason had a chance to spend some time with Leith when they were attending the Nationwide event last week. Here's the blog post that Leith made about True Aim. We hope you enjoy it. Please contact us with any questions or comments. http://calgolflab.com/blog/dashboard/

Great! Thank you - we appreciate it! Please let us know how your experience goes and what your results are. We'd love to feature you on our website.

Thanks! I certainly will.

I do have a question though that I haven't seen asked. With the rounded nature of most driver faces, how can I be sure I'm getting the decals on so that they're perfectly perpendicular to the face? It seems like it would be easy to be off by several degrees because of that rounding.

Thanks! I certainly will.

I do have a question though that I haven't seen asked. With the rounded nature of most driver faces, how can I be sure I'm getting the decals on so that they're perfectly perpendicular to the face? It seems like it would be easy to be off by several degrees because of that rounding.

Good question. This is exactly why we created the temporary decals as well as the permanent. The temporary decals have a much lighter adhesion so they can be adjusted. Some people do want the decal to be slightly open or closed to the face. What we do is use a straight line to align the top of the face when we are attaching the decal so we can get it as square as possible. Remember that it's square to your eye and everyone is different. It doesn't have to be perfectly square - just square to your eye. We hope this helps. Please get back in touch if you have more questions.

True Aim pic.jpgThis one is for the ladies - here's testimonial from Shanna in Virginia:

Hello True Aim!

I wanted to take a moment to provide you with a testimonial for your True Aim product. I was recently fitted for my True Aim and recently put the decal on my driver. Last weekend, I played 18 holes at Raspberry Falls in Leesburg, VA and I hit all but one fairway during my round and I shot a 94 which is my best score ever! It is without question that I'm hitting more fairways consistently with the True Aim decal on my driver!

Thank you for introducing this great product to the market place! Please note I've attached a fun picture with me and my True Aim decal on my driver!

All the best,

Shanna

Am I the only MGSer that would like to see two babes kissing the club, or have I been listening to Howard Stern for too long? :P

Am I the only MGSer that would like to see two babes kissing the club, or have I been listening to Howard Stern for too long? :P

We're thinking of running a promotion just for the ladies so we can get more Shanna's in the world involved! Watch for more pictures soon...

We're thinking of running a promotion just for the ladies so we can get more Shanna's in the world involved! Watch for more pictures soon...

Actually, I subscribe to Leith's newsletter and was very impressed to see you prominently featured. I have a set of decals, and as soon as my swing gets better established, I can't wait to try them out.

Actually, I subscribe to Leith's newsletter and was very impressed to see you prominently featured. I have a set of decals, and as soon as my swing gets better established, I can't wait to try them out.

Excellent! Please keep us posted. Leith is a great guy. We enjoyed our time with him very much.

Archived