Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cheap Golf Balls for Tall Fall Rough

Stuthedog

The rough around here is left very long in the fall/winter and it's easy to lose balls out there so I'm looking for relatively cheap balls I don't mind losing (about a buck a ball or less ideally)

My main concern is reliability which makes me hesitant of kirkland balls. 2 pc balls are okay in the fall and winter since greens are soft.

Top Flites are very cheap but I've used some XLs that have done some weird stuff in the air, the cheap vice balls are also in that range, any other thoughts?

If you're going Top Flite, go with the Hammer Control or Distance over the XLs. Both are often on sale at Dicks and are great for cooler weather, especially the HC. The 50 Elite mentioned above is also a ball that punches way above it's cost.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Look at the inexpensive Wilson balls. Much prefer those to any Top Flite or value distance ball from major mfgs.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 10/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, Stuthedog said:

The rough around here is left very long in the fall/winter and it's easy to lose balls out there so I'm looking for relatively cheap balls I don't mind losing (about a buck a ball or less ideally)

My main concern is reliability which makes me hesitant of kirkland balls. 2 pc balls are okay in the fall and winter since greens are soft.

Top Flites are very cheap but I've used some XLs that have done some weird stuff in the air, the cheap vice balls are also in that range, any other thoughts?

Have you thought about refurbished balls? They sell used Titleists at Walmart... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Mint Quality, 15 Pack - Walmart.com or some NXTs... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Good Quality, 24 Pack - Walmart.com

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3* 10° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60g 6.5 D2**

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 A1**

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: TSi3* 20°  EvenFlow White 90HY 6.5X A1** 

:titelist-small: TSi2 24° HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.5 D4** 

Irons:  :titelist-small: 716 AP2 5-GW TT S300 (GW is S100) 

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM8 Jet Black 54°14F, 58°08M Wedge Flex

Putter: image.png.2cffbf846f1ed639b15f40483d11670d.png White Hot OG #7s

*All clubs with an adjustable weight, are set to neutral  **Hosel setting

Ball: Kirkland V2 or Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

54 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

Have you thought about refurbished balls? They sell used Titleists at Walmart... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Mint Quality, 15 Pack - Walmart.com or some NXTs... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Good Quality, 24 Pack - Walmart.com

As long as you're going in with your eyes open to what you are or aren't getting...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 10/20/2021 at 8:45 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Look at the inexpensive Wilson balls. Much prefer those to any Top Flite or value distance ball from major mfgs.

I'll second this.  When I'm sick of spending money on "good" balls, it's Wilson Zip at $20 for two dozen at Walmart.  They're surprisingly good for what they are.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

As long as you're going in with your eyes open to what you are or aren't getting...

Yep... but the way i figure, even a semi well used ProV1 is better than most used cheap balls.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:45 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

41 minutes ago, 00sportsman said:

I'll second this.  When I'm sick of spending money on "good" balls, it's Wilson Zip at $20 for two dozen at Walmart.  They're surprisingly good for what they are.

Or the Wilson Ultras at target where 15 balls are about $10. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 2 weeks later...

DSG usually offers a 10 coupon for Black Friday and Christmas, great opportunity to get their house Top Flight brand (which will be on sale) and in the past they worked for Srixon's. I suspect Callaways and Titleist are price protected. Srixon Soft Feel in yellow for 12 is great for cold weather golf. Ksig at Costco is a great value. But, in white.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:31 AM, silver & black said:

I usually play Srixon AD333's in the Fall. I see the price has gone up more than I'm willing to pay for a ball that I know I'm going to lose under leaves...lol.

In the U.S. that’s the AD333 is the Q Star.  BTW, I loved the AD333 when it was available.  

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Also, now that MGS has done their ball report on the Kirkland Performance V2's, I'd definitely say throw them back into the mix as a cheap fall/winter ball. 

OP was previously concerned about consistency/reliability issues with kirkland. From the ball test, those seem to be gone and being the 9th ranked ball with a 97% score is more than respectable, especially at its price.

Yes, MGS noted that, as a mid-launch high-spin ball, they're normally relegated to a particular niche of player. But a consistent, 3 piece urethane ball for less than $13 per dozen is a really good blend of value and quality for a ball you just want to have fun with while still getting some performance from. 

Kirkland.JPG

Edited by MNUte
Added Screenshot.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

After playing with em for maybe 6 holes today the Top Flite Hammer Controls were definitely no good.  Did similar weird things I experienced with XL distance where they carried maybe 40 yards less than normal balls, one ball practically couldn't get airborne, another duck hooked on a shot that really didn't feel like should have duck hooked.  

Afterwords I played a taylormade distance+ which was actually pretty good but at 20 a dozen is a bit more than I'm lookin for essentially a throwaway ball.

Going to try the kirklands... hopefully the high spin doesn't have too huge of an effect.  

Has anyone tried either the Inesis 500 Distance (10 a dozen and comes in yellow) or the MG C4/Cut Blue?  The C4/Cut is a bit off topic but theyre suspiciously cheap and MG was in the ball test without anything explicitly negative said about it.

Edited by Stuthedog

From fall into winter I use the junk I find in the woods and water! Just a word to you fellow golfers. Please, stop using those cheap two piece crappy balls!!!  I just hate going into the woods or fishing off the green to find this junk! Come on, get with it.  At least 3-piece, if not Pro V1 or even TP5 (my favorite). Thank you!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

OnCore Avant 55

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 10/21/2021 at 8:59 AM, brutal brutus said:

No, no, a thousand times NO!!!!! Have you not read the MGS articles and watched their videos regarding refurbished golf balls?

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Nitro.  Theyre so cheap if you lose one you wont even care.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

4 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

No, no, a thousand times NO!!!!! Have you not read the MGS articles and watched their videos regarding refurbished golf balls?

Exactly. Nobody is hitting at their best this time of year between being bundled up, fall winds or that the balls just don't carry as far when it's colder. So why not hit balls that you don't really care about losing, are still better than a lot of others and relatively cheap if you can pick them up in person and not have to pay shipping.

Edited by brutal brutus

I am going to throw one in the mix here--- The Srixon Marathon which is a 15 ball pack and it hits pretty well for a 2 piece ball--- I will confess I do not know the price point because the ones I have I won in various events at my course. I use them quite a bit just knocking around and such. 

Edit Just flipped screens and checked those balls are around $15 for a 15 pack at places like Carl's etc. So they may not be as good of a value as some of the others mentioned

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Despite my high handicap, I play used Pro V 1's on holes without water, and will switch to used Bridgestone e6 and e 12's, Top Flight Hammer Distance, Noodles, and Callaway Super Softs on tougher holes.  My water balls consist of every make imaginable, and if they last a few rounds, could then wind up in my shag bag.  Anything red or yellow would probably aid with visibility in finding them.  

I seriously love playing the Wilson Ultra 500 ball.  Long as anything else I play, durable, and cheap!

Cobra F Max irons, Kirkland 52 56 60, Srixon Z785 Driver, Odyssey V Line something something putter.  I play cheap balls then have one good round and decide I need expensive ones and lose them all then go back to cheap ones 😶 Usually Kirkland Sigs, Callaway Warbird, or Titleist Velocity

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a dozen yellow Titleist TruFeels.  They aren't bad for fall golf, but I am really liking the yellow ball and will probably switch to yellow full time with the Snells in the spring.  It is definitely easier to see and for some reason seems to look a little larger than a standard white ball when standing over it.   

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

• 1 month later...

Did they stop making the Precept Laddie?  That was my go-to winter ball for many years (along with the Lady).  They used to come in the big, square box (15 or 18 pack) for dirt cheap and I always thought they were a great ball for the money.  This winter I picked up some Wilson Duo's and they're not bad.  A little too soft though, even in the winter.  I also grabbed some Noodles and they're alright.

46 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Did they stop making the Precept Laddie?  That was my go-to winter ball for many years (along with the Lady).  They used to come in the big, square box (15 or 18 pack) for dirt cheap and I always thought they were a great ball for the money.  This winter I picked up some Wilson Duo's and they're not bad.  A little too soft though, even in the winter.  I also grabbed some Noodles and they're alright.

As far as I know Bridgestone still makes it. I used to like the Laddie too, when I lost balls by the bunch. I heard a rumor back then that the Laddie & the MC Lady were the same ball. Too many guys were playing the Lady and getting tired of being made fun of so they made the Laddie.

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/balls/precept/laddie-extreme

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

14 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

As far as I know Bridgestone still makes it. I used to like the Laddie too, when I lost balls by the bunch. I heard a rumor back then that the Laddie & the MC Lady were the same ball. Too many guys were playing the Lady and getting tired of being made fun of so they made the Laddie.

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/balls/precept/laddie-extreme

Yep, I remember people saying the same thing.  I used to play the Lady before the Laddie came out.  I think someone on Tour won a tournament playing with the Lady ball and that's how it became popular (unless that was also a rumor).
I saw the Laddie's at my local golf stores last summer but when I tried to buy some for this winter I couldn't find them anywhere.  I also tried to buy some for my nephew for Christmas (he's just getting into the game) and still couldn't find any.  Maybe my local stores are simply sold out and there may be some supply chain issues, like with so many other things. 😞
Thanks for the link.  Gotta love that double-dozen pack for a buck a ball.

Edited by TMAC

Pretty late here, but just getting back on the forums. 

I always use LostGolfBalls.com. Can get 5A Mint which look/play brand new. Or even 4A which still look good, but definitely more used. All great, affordable options for “Fall/Winter” Golf. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Never understood switching balls for “water holes”. You’re basically throwing in the towel right outta the gate and encouraging negative thoughts. Not to mention a lot of people switch to a slow 2 piece ball that may get wet cause it was 5+ yards shorter than the one that you bagged for the “water hole”.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X