Cheap Golf Balls for Tall Fall Rough

Stuthedog

The rough around here is left very long in the fall/winter and it's easy to lose balls out there so I'm looking for relatively cheap balls I don't mind losing (about a buck a ball or less ideally)

My main concern is reliability which makes me hesitant of kirkland balls. 2 pc balls are okay in the fall and winter since greens are soft.

Top Flites are very cheap but I've used some XLs that have done some weird stuff in the air, the cheap vice balls are also in that range, any other thoughts?

6 hours ago, Stuthedog said:

The rough around here is left very long in the fall/winter and it's easy to lose balls out there so I'm looking for relatively cheap balls I don't mind losing (about a buck a ball or less ideally)

My main concern is reliability which makes me hesitant of kirkland balls. 2 pc balls are okay in the fall and winter since greens are soft.

Top Flites are very cheap but I've used some XLs that have done some weird stuff in the air, the cheap vice balls are also in that range, any other thoughts?

Love the vice drive and the Wilson 50 elite. 

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

If you're going Top Flite, go with the Hammer Control or Distance over the XLs. Both are often on sale at Dicks and are great for cooler weather, especially the HC. The 50 Elite mentioned above is also a ball that punches way above it's cost.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 10/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, Stuthedog said:

Have you thought about refurbished balls? They sell used Titleists at Walmart... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Mint Quality, 15 Pack - Walmart.com or some NXTs... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Good Quality, 24 Pack - Walmart.com

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° A1 Kuro Kage Black 55-S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: H1 818 19° A1 HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titelist-small: H1 818 23° A1 Fujikura AtmosHB Blue Tour Spec 85-S

:titelist-small: H1 818 27° A1 Tensei CK Pro White 90HY-S

Irons:  :titelist-small: 2019 T200 6i-GW TT S300(4-6i  KBS C-Taper Lite)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Jet Black SM8 54°F, 58°M  WedgeFlex

Putter: :ping-small:  G2i Craz-E 

*All clubs with a weight are set to neutral

54 minutes ago, brutal brutus said:

Have you thought about refurbished balls? They sell used Titleists at Walmart... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Mint Quality, 15 Pack - Walmart.com or some NXTs... Titleist Golf Balls, Used, Good Quality, 24 Pack - Walmart.com

As long as you're going in with your eyes open to what you are or aren't getting...

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: I'll try anything with a urethane cover
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

On 10/20/2021 at 8:45 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Look at the inexpensive Wilson balls. Much prefer those to any Top Flite or value distance ball from major mfgs.

I'll second this.  When I'm sick of spending money on "good" balls, it's Wilson Zip at $20 for two dozen at Walmart.  They're surprisingly good for what they are.

• Like 1

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

As long as you're going in with your eyes open to what you are or aren't getting...

Yep... but the way i figure, even a semi well used ProV1 is better than most used cheap balls.

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5° A1 Kuro Kage Black 55-S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: H1 818 19° A1 HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titelist-small: H1 818 23° A1 Fujikura AtmosHB Blue Tour Spec 85-S

:titelist-small: H1 818 27° A1 Tensei CK Pro White 90HY-S

Irons:  :titelist-small: 2019 T200 6i-GW TT S300(4-6i  KBS C-Taper Lite)

Wedges: :titelist-small: Jet Black SM8 54°F, 58°M  WedgeFlex

Putter: :ping-small:  G2i Craz-E 

*All clubs with a weight are set to neutral

On 10/20/2021 at 6:45 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Look at the inexpensive Wilson balls. Much prefer those to any Top Flite or value distance ball from major mfgs.

41 minutes ago, 00sportsman said:

I'll second this.  When I'm sick of spending money on "good" balls, it's Wilson Zip at $20 for two dozen at Walmart.  They're surprisingly good for what they are.

Or the Wilson Ultras at target where 15 balls are about $10. 

• Like 2

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

• 2 weeks later...

DSG usually offers a 10 coupon for Black Friday and Christmas, great opportunity to get their house Top Flight brand (which will be on sale) and in the past they worked for Srixon's. I suspect Callaways and Titleist are price protected. Srixon Soft Feel in yellow for 12 is great for cold weather golf. Ksig at Costco is a great value. But, in white.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:31 AM, silver & black said:

I usually play Srixon AD333's in the Fall. I see the price has gone up more than I'm willing to pay for a ball that I know I'm going to lose under leaves...lol.

In the U.S. that’s the AD333 is the Q Star.  BTW, I loved the AD333 when it was available.  

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Also, now that MGS has done their ball report on the Kirkland Performance V2's, I'd definitely say throw them back into the mix as a cheap fall/winter ball. 

OP was previously concerned about consistency/reliability issues with kirkland. From the ball test, those seem to be gone and being the 9th ranked ball with a 97% score is more than respectable, especially at its price.

Yes, MGS noted that, as a mid-launch high-spin ball, they're normally relegated to a particular niche of player. But a consistent, 3 piece urethane ball for less than $13 per dozen is a really good blend of value and quality for a ball you just want to have fun with while still getting some performance from. 

Kirkland.JPG

Edited by MNUte
Added Screenshot.
  • Like 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

After playing with em for maybe 6 holes today the Top Flite Hammer Controls were definitely no good.  Did similar weird things I experienced with XL distance where they carried maybe 40 yards less than normal balls, one ball practically couldn't get airborne, another duck hooked on a shot that really didn't feel like should have duck hooked.  

Afterwords I played a taylormade distance+ which was actually pretty good but at 20 a dozen is a bit more than I'm lookin for essentially a throwaway ball.

Going to try the kirklands... hopefully the high spin doesn't have too huge of an effect.  

Has anyone tried either the Inesis 500 Distance (10 a dozen and comes in yellow) or the MG C4/Cut Blue?  The C4/Cut is a bit off topic but theyre suspiciously cheap and MG was in the ball test without anything explicitly negative said about it.

Edited by Stuthedog
  • Like 1

From fall into winter I use the junk I find in the woods and water! Just a word to you fellow golfers. Please, stop using those cheap two piece crappy balls!!!  I just hate going into the woods or fishing off the green to find this junk! Come on, get with it.  At least 3-piece, if not Pro V1 or even TP5 (my favorite). Thank you!

• Haha 3

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2019 Bettinardi QB6 and 2021 Ping Fetch Putter (depends on the greens)

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

8 minutes ago, HDTVMAN said:

From fall into winter I use the junk I find in the woods and water! Just a word to you fellow golfers. Please, stop using those cheap two piece crappy balls!!!  I just hate going into the woods or fishing off the green to find this junk! Come on, get with it.  At least 3-piece, if not Pro V1 or even TP5 (my favorite). Thank you!

Please send me those crappy 2 piece balls. I love them. I recently found a taylormade soft response, played 2 rounds with it, and thought I had found a urethane ball that I actually liked. I was shocked. Then I looked it up and found that it's ionomer covered. 3 piece, but no urethane.  Mystery solved.... very nice ball. I still prefer my vice drive and Wilson 50 elite, but I would play these. 

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

On 10/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, Stuthedog said:

OnCore Avant 55

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler