Blade v Mallet Style Putter

PapaStark

Posting here since it seemed like an appropriate place.  2022 most wanted putter testing is underway and I have done a couple of session for mallet and blade style putters.  So far I seem to be finding similar results to those I found last year; I putt better with smaller blade style putters to mid mallet designs.  While some putters of each camp are ugly,  I seem to make more putts with the putters in the blade category.  

People often say that because we are hitting a straight putt 8 times at 3 distances we should get used to the putt and our performance should get better.  While It may influence there does not seem to be a correlation to better putting with putters later in the test round.  

I really want to like mallet putters as the theory and concept behind them seems to make sense and I am really looking for better performance.   For me, most mallets seem to lack a little feel of where the ball impacts the face and if the mallet is a little more weight forward it seems to work a little better.  

Blades vs mallets will always be a debate, but as a player it is important to determine what supports your stroke better.  As a low rotation player mallets would seem to make sense, but actual performance doesn’t show that to be a finding.  

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Since I am currently gaming it and a bit biased (after going to a claw/saw grip - probably most similar to Justin Rose and going through an extensive putter fitting at Miles of Golf in the Cincinnati area), I would heartily recommend that you at least try an Axis1 Tour-B. I have generally putted with Anser style putters my whole golfing life (although I did start with a Ping Kushin back in the day). I have tried mallets on occasion, but they never seem to stick with me as they just don't fit my eye. I was close to going with the Axis1 Rose during the fitting, but once I saw the Tour-B, I fell in love with the blade style, its softer feel, and even though the 'torque-free' construction forces an unorthodox shaft positioning, the way it frames the ball so nicely at address. 

There are other torque-free options as well (of the mallet and even quite large mallet style!), so don't leave those out of your testing.

Best of luck!

1 hour ago, Alfred DuPuy said:

Since I am currently gaming it and a bit biased (after going to a claw/saw grip - probably most similar to Justin Rose and going through an extensive putter fitting at Miles of Golf in the Cincinnati area), I would heartily recommend that you at least try an Axis1 Tour-B. I have generally putted with Anser style putters my whole golfing life (although I did start with a Ping Kushin back in the day). I have tried mallets on occasion, but they never seem to stick with me as they just don't fit my eye. I was close to going with the Axis1 Rose during the fitting, but once I saw the Tour-B, I fell in love with the blade style, its softer feel, and even though the 'torque-free' construction forces an unorthodox shaft positioning, the way it frames the ball so nicely at address. 

There are other torque-free options as well (of the mallet and even quite large mallet style!), so don't leave those out of your testing.

Best of luck!

I have tried one on the past, but it isn't part of this years MGS Most Wanted testing.    There are torque-free putters in this years testing.     Ultimately I am not looking to replace my putter, just posting an observation that I tend to putt better with blade style putters over mallet style.   I would always recommend that someone looking for a putter try various options to see what works best.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Have tried both and really like the blade putters.  My preference are the Newport style putters by Scotty Cameron.   Like the weight, control and tempo I can maintain with them.  Of course practice is a key to putting well with any putter.  Moved from the Newport 2 Notchback to the new Special Select Newport 2.  Our greens a tiff Bermuda grass and tend to run pretty fast with all the undulations.  Changed the grips to GolfPride SNSR 104s (Midsize).  Am 75 and have rather big hands.  It is not fair to say which is the best for you because putters are a personal thing.  Some people have a lot of putters and change often.  I have three (two Notchbacks, first and last editions) and focus on one by working on tempo and feel.  You will know it when you find that special putter, as long as you keep your head down.  😃

Titleist

DRIVER - TSi3 11.50* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S   

FAIRWAY - TSI2 15.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGES - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300,  SM7 - 58.12D N.S. PRO 950GH R300       

***  GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER -  + 2022 PING PLD  - 35" Anser Milled Black Matte   * Ping Midsize Grip

++  2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2   *GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST - Prov1 

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST - Midsize Tour Bag Black/Black/Red and Black Cart 14 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY - StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove

SHOES - FOOTJOY - Premieres, Traditions, Tradition MyJoys, Pro/SLs, Flex, Flex XP, DryJoy Tour MyJoys, Icon MyJoys, Rain Boots. 

APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

RANGEFINDER -  BUSHNELL - Pro XE