TESTERS WANTED! ×

which shaft for wedges.

Mrf@0000843

I think the answer to your questions is…maybe.  Lots of things to look at such as how you use your wedges and are you able to accomplish the shots you need.  If you use them for full swing shots then maybe it makes sense to more closely match the shafts.  If you are only using for partial shots you may not need to.   There are no set rules on how you configure your setup; you have to try and see what works. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 hours ago, Mrf@0000843 said:

Im switching from regular flex steel shafts to taylormade sim2 max irons in a flex, so far liking the results. My question is should i also change the shafts in my wedges 52,56,60 to a lighter shaft in r flex or go and use an a flex in them.

Do you have the Sim2 Max AW?  If not, then you probably have increased the gap from the 43.5º PW to your 52.  That's a large gap, especially with graphite in irons and steel in wedges.  Replacing the shafts in the wedges may not be enough to cover that gap.  Different wedges; 50, 54, 58 may be a better fit.  As @cnosil said, it may not be an issue unless you use full shots with the wedges.  Many people like using heavier wedges for control around the greens.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been pondering what shafts to put into wedges as well (probably overthinking it). My current line of thinking is, if its primarily a full shot wedge, then same shaft and flex as the other irons. If it is a partial wedge, want it to play a little softer but slightly heavier. Just my current thinking for myself. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I play my wedges a touch heavier and stiffer (in theory based on S# ratings for DG shafts) in that i have S400 in my 50, 55 and 60 and had s300 in the 4-PW. I also play my 50,55 and 60 all the same length with jumbo grips, with standard 1/2 inch gaps from 4i-PW with mid size grips. i rarely ever do full swings with my 50-60 though, but so far i've liked the results.  

I recently switched to Modus 120X in 4i-PW, but kept the S400 in my wedges as i like the way they play for me. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I play Senior flex graphite shafts in my irons that work great, but when I replaced my regular steel shaft sand wedge with a senior graphite shaft it was a disaster. I lost control and distance, This may be the way I load partial shots verses full swings.

Cobra Driver 11 degree

Cobra 3 Wood 

Cobra 7 Wood

Sub 70 669 irons 5-7

Sub 70 699 Pro irons AW-8

Callaway Forged SW 56 degree

Callaway MD 60 degree

Tour Edge Blade Putter

Kirkland Signature V2 balls

If you want a graphite wedge shaft as a steel replacement, try to find an Aldila Lobster 120.

They haven't been made in a while, but you can find anything if you look hard enough.

This aftermarket shaft was specifically produced to replace steel shafts in wedges.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Michael Breed says that your wedge shaft should not be heavier than your irons shafts.  That said my iron shafts are graphite 64 grm and my wedge shafts are steel 124 grm, double the weight.  It took awhile to get used to them but I would not change them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Before you go through a reshaft of your wedges, if you have a PGA Store, Dick's or Golf Galaxy in your area try and demo wedge with "A" Shaft, check the feel.  I bought a sand wedge with KBS shaft, cause I wanted to switch to KBS from Titleist Wedge Flex. I regretted it! Went to a Titleist fitting for wedges and back to using Wedge Flex Dynamic Gold.  The performance of KBS shaft is not for me. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0