TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thinking about dipping my toes into club building

Like the title says I'm giving serious thought to building some clubs.  I'm not thinking of building a full set yet.  I mostly just want to start tinkering with wedges.  Through watching a lot of youtube I think I have a reasonable understanding of club building, including how to swing weight clubs.   I'm planning on working with steel shafts for now, maybe delving into lie angle, and potentially doing a little grinding.   My plan is to start with some of the older wedges I have lying around to get a feel for it before attempting to adjust something I'm going to game. 

Mostly I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice for getting started?  Specifically regarding tools that I will definitely need and those that I can skip for now.  It would also be much appreciated if you can share some standard pitfalls to watch out for.  

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Right now I only do grips on a low cost griping station I made.  However, I've enjoyed the Mobile Clubmaker on YouTube.  He has useful videos every week on various aspects of club making and repair.  Here's one on the five tools one needs to start building clubs that you may find interesting:  

There are a ton of others in his library that I think may help you in beginning your club making journey.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

First, let me give you strong encouragement to do it! The golden age of component clubs has passed, but that's when I got into club building. I don't do nearly as much anymore, and mostly play with shafts and keeping up with my loft/lie specs, but I still enjoy it. A lot. Yes, regripping nowadays feels a little tedious, but being able to do it myself means I change my grips more frequently, and I have fun trying new grips. My current project is working with a new putter, and adding weight down the shaft to get the feel I want. As far as tools, if you want to play with lie angle you'll need a bending machine. That's some real cash. If you're only doing wedges (esp. forged), you could get by with a club gauge (or even just a loft/lie protractor), a vise, and a rubber mallet. That's not a bad way to start. Whacking stuff can be quite fun! Next is a swingweight scale. If you're going to grind (I don't do that) you'll want a good scale. The basics listed in the previous video is good, and I may be wrong, but I think most guys who are confident enough in their tool skills to be considering club work probably already have those. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Just know, in this endeavor, you will make mistakes, it happens to everyone. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

18 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

First, let me give you strong encouragement to do it! The golden age of component clubs has passed, but that's when I got into club building. I don't do nearly as much anymore, and mostly play with shafts and keeping up with my loft/lie specs, but I still enjoy it. A lot. Yes, regripping nowadays feels a little tedious, but being able to do it myself means I change my grips more frequently, and I have fun trying new grips. My current project is working with a new putter, and adding weight down the shaft to get the feel I want. As far as tools, if you want to play with lie angle you'll need a bending machine. That's some real cash. If you're only doing wedges (esp. forged), you could get by with a club gauge (or even just a loft/lie protractor), a vise, and a rubber mallet. That's not a bad way to start. Whacking stuff can be quite fun! Next is a swingweight scale. If you're going to grind (I don't do that) you'll want a good scale. The basics listed in the previous video is good, and I may be wrong, but I think most guys who are confident enough in their tool skills to be considering club work probably already have those. 

20 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

Right now I only do grips on a low cost griping station I made.  However, I've enjoyed the Mobile Clubmaker on YouTube.  He has useful videos every week on various aspects of club making and repair.  Here's one on the five tools one needs to start building clubs that you may find interesting:  

There are a ton of others in his library that I think may help you in beginning your club making journey.

16 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Just know, in this endeavor, you will make mistakes, it happens to everyone. 

Not that I really needed the push but you've all convinced me.  Ordered a few things this morning from golf works for the wedge I really want to mess with, value swingweight scale, shaft, and a couple other things.  No bending tool yet, but in the meantime I think the cheap wilson 60 I bought when I was learning to play is about to get a second life as my practice building club.   

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

... I would add grinding clubs should probably be left to the experts. I got some blank wedge heads and did some grinding knowing if I "messed up" it wasn't gonna cost me much. While I would not call it a disaster, it was rudimentary at best and all 5 wedges were not acceptable by my standards for play. I have a Mitchell LL machine, shaft puller, swing weight scale, vice and chop saw that pretty much takes care of all my needs. I am proficient with any club making needs with the exception of grinding. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

For the basics:

1) a vice  you need to hold the project in a stable fashion

2) a bench to mount the vice too, this will also act as future landing spots for other machines as you grow

3) a shaft clamp, This can a simple as a rubber clamp to fit into the vice or a speed clamp that again can go on the vice but is far easier to use

4) a butane torch. 

5) a catch pan to contain solvent if you plan to regrip will chemical if not then a pancake compressor, hose, and tool.

6) a back knife to scrap tape, move ferrules. etc.

7) masking tape 1" wide, 

😎 good epoxy

More involved:

a ruler to measure club length, this can be done better using a bench mounted unit however a ruler for club length is a must

a machine to measure flex, Strain gauge, frequency machine whatever fits your mind set to measure the club.

loft and lie machine if you plan to make adjustments or ensure a quality build. 

belt sander for finishing ferrules, tip prepping, removing burrs. 

a place to allow the clubs to dry.

THen,,,,,,,,

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

13 hours ago, McGolf said:

For the basics:

1) a vice  you need to hold the project in a stable fashion

2) a bench to mount the vice too, this will also act as future landing spots for other machines as you grow

3) a shaft clamp, This can a simple as a rubber clamp to fit into the vice or a speed clamp that again can go on the vice but is far easier to use

4) a butane torch. 

5) a catch pan to contain solvent if you plan to regrip will chemical if not then a pancake compressor, hose, and tool.

6) a back knife to scrap tape, move ferrules. etc.

7) masking tape 1" wide, 

😎 good epoxy

More involved:

a ruler to measure club length, this can be done better using a bench mounted unit however a ruler for club length is a must

a machine to measure flex, Strain gauge, frequency machine whatever fits your mind set to measure the club.

loft and lie machine if you plan to make adjustments or ensure a quality build. 

belt sander for finishing ferrules, tip prepping, removing burrs. 

a place to allow the clubs to dry.

THen,,,,,,,,

🙂  I'm  hip deep into realizing that I've opened another obsession.  The more I learn about the technical side of clubs the more interested I become.   Also the further I get into it the more I realize dipping my toes is not my way and I want to do it properly.  I think I'm in trouble.  😆

Here's an account of what has gone on since I posted the question last Thursday:

-- Fortunately, I have many of the tools on the list short of a torch and I'm using a heat gun for now instead.

-- Matching wedge shaft to my irons ordered.

-- GolfWorks value SW scale ordered

-- Shaft counterweight added to bring the SW of my 3W out of crazy territory (D9 -- I put a cut down driver shaft on it)

-- Various building supplies ordered (Epoxy, hosel brush, ferrules, shafting beads)

-- DIY club length scale built with scrap plywood and a bench ruler I already had.  Verified an calibrated using my recently rebuilt irons that I have all the specs on.  

-- DIY spining tool (your method) parts ordered.

-- DIY plywood loft lie gauge build in progress

-- Oh, and in the meantime I spent a a large amount of the weekend "cleaning up the garage"   -- Pulling heads off old clubs I had in the closet, weighing the components,        and just seeing where various combos would land swing weight wise using online component calculators.

My wife has been rolling her eyes at me about just dipping my toes in all week.  I am holding off bending tools... for now.

Also, thanks for having such a great Youtube channel.  You have basically been my primary teacher.

Edited by Syks7

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Well, here's the first dip into the pool.  Reshafting a wedge to match the rest of my irons.

Trimmed, dry fit, spine marked, and swing weighted with lead tape so I know what tip weight I need to beg from Roger Dunn tomorrow.  Ready for epoxy after I get the tip weight.  It's even the proper length.  Also the spine finding was wildly easy with the McGolf bearing tool.  I didn't expect it to be that apparent so quickly.

PXL_20211027_035645100.jpg

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

All finished.... and just like the first time I did something else it was way too fast and I want to do it a whole bunch more.  It landed exactly at the swing weight I wanted, I watched a video that basically said you're going to add about a gram with epoxy so that accounts for half a swing weight.  Shaved a gram off the tip weight measured it at D4.5 then epoxied.  It's now at exactly 5.  I'm super pleased that it turned out this well though I did make a mistake trying to buff the ferrule down to flush with the hosel and now I have a flat spot.  No big deal though , I can live with that.

I think this one is going to a shop to get lie adjust and get bent 1 degree week to 49.  Then I'm going to build a pair of maltby tsw's 54,58 and add a 5 wood to the bag....  Seriously, I'm in trouble.  

PXL_20211028_010823079.jpg.5bcd6406d18398a5ff9263232b02eb59.jpgPXL_20211028_010810302.jpg.9638591d45c7a211e143e632f15af4fb.jpgPXL_20211028_010814284.jpg.d4fdecbf3b36fc46d1d8fce8b7731674.jpg

Edited by Syks7

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Well, I've realized that I have a lot of wedges sitting around, and am heavily tinkering with the various components.  Mostly, I'm focused on getting my +1/2" length, swingweighting, and just practicing builds.  Eventually I'll re-shaft to match my irons like I did with the 48, but for now this is keeping me from spending too much money.  

Messy workbench and cheapo DIY flo laser using my garage door.  And yes, before anyone asks, I am flo'ing a kirkland true temper wedge shaft in the picture for practice.

PXL_20211102_035956935.jpg.3a9f8a88be356796f8e9bb54e29aaf76.jpg

PXL_20211102_035320277.jpg.3a73a7b1b6771c01c18efba6489e36e5.jpg

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a fairly cheap 1x30 sander from harbor freight and it's worked just fine.  I also bought a nice clamp from Rex on golfclubtraders.com and it has worked out well.  I, unfortuneately, received a workbench that is mostly metal with an inch or so of wood on top, so a full vice isn't really an option.  Also, mine is on wheels so it makes it a little annoying when installing grips. As far as the ferrules go, I bought a ferrule specific belt for the sander from golfworks. Most of the ferrules don't stick out too far, so you can can just use some acetone and spin the club a few times to get what you want. Just be careful with the acetone, because it will eat at the ferrule if you don't move quickly! Good luck!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On 11/2/2021 at 11:06 AM, Syks7 said:

Well, I've realized that I have a lot of wedges sitting around, and am heavily tinkering with the various components.  Mostly, I'm focused on getting my +1/2" length, swingweighting, and just practicing builds.  Eventually I'll re-shaft to match my irons like I did with the 48, but for now this is keeping me from spending too much money.  

Messy workbench and cheapo DIY flo laser using my garage door.  And yes, before anyone asks, I am flo'ing a kirkland true temper wedge shaft in the picture for practice.

PXL_20211102_035956935.jpg.3a9f8a88be356796f8e9bb54e29aaf76.jpg

PXL_20211102_035320277.jpg.3a73a7b1b6771c01c18efba6489e36e5.jpg

A set-up that would make Red-Green proud 🙂.  I too recently began the journey into hobbyist club building.  I picked up a used swing-weight scale, air compressor and grip nozzle, aluminum clubmakers scale, and shaft puller.  Thus far, I've only completed my first set of re-grips using air only and it went just fine.  While I'm in AZ for winter, I'll continue to peruse eBay and the local garage sales for some poor unsuspecting set of golf clubs 😆.

Lots of our spies are quite skookum on this and provide (as you're already finding out) great help/advice.  Have fun and keep sharing the projects.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

21 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

A set-up that would make Red-Green proud 🙂.  I too recently began the journey into hobbyist club building.  I picked up a used swing-weight scale, air compressor and grip nozzle, aluminum clubmakers scale, and shaft puller.  Thus far, I've only completed my first set of re-grips using air only and it went just fine.  While I'm in AZ for winter, I'll continue to peruse eBay and the local garage sales for some poor unsuspecting set of golf clubs 😆.

Lots of our spies are quite skookum on this and provide (as you're already finding out) great help/advice.  Have fun and keep sharing the projects.

Will do.  Enjoy the AZ 'winter' and good luck on your search.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

Since getting pretty deep into club building, i have become an epoxy snob lol

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Since getting pretty deep into club building, i have become an epoxy snob lol

Umm, considering its purpose and the consequences of it not performing, I say that is where snobbery is needed. 🙂  So which epoxy is "the epoxy"?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Umm, considering its purpose and the consequences of it not performing, I say that is where snobbery is needed. 🙂  So which epoxy is "the epoxy"?

I use a couple of different epoxies for different purposes. 3M DP460 is my go to all around epoxy. 3M DP420NS if I need a slightly faster cure. Its not a super quick cure, but I can build in the morning and ship in the late afternoon if someone wants something shipped out the same day. And then I use 3M DP810 for some of my own stuff when I am testing something out and will likely pull the shaft or also in my own putters. DP810 is sufficiently strong for golf equipment, but I wouldn't want to build something for someone else and then have them leave it in the car in the summer in Texas or Vegas and have it fall apart. I never leave equipment in the car beyond the ride to and from the course. Reason I use DP810 for my own test equipment is because it breaks down the fastest with a butane torch with the least amount of heat which is good when you want to pull graphite shafts. 

Updated 07/15/2022