TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lower controlled ball flight

Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

Looking for suggestions on options to lower ball flight. I'm looking to tinker with my backup set - Titleist 990's with S300. Great irons, but they launch just a little too high and w plenty of spin. Looking for lower, more controlled ball flight. Club speed ~88-89, ball speed ~121. Heads are already bent 2* strong, so need to look at shaft options.

Any thoughts?

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)

Shafts aren’t going to change launch and spin. That’s on the golfer and now they deliver the club. 

Delivering lower dynamic loft is whats needed

Without seeing your numbers it’s hard to say what’s causing the spin and launch.

Is the club head speed you list for driver or for a 7i?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shafts aren’t going to change launch and spin. That’s on the golfer and now they deliver the club. 

Delivering lower dynamic loft is whats needed

Without seeing your numbers it’s hard to say what’s causing the spin and launch.

Is the club head speed you list for driver or for a 7i?

7i

1 minute ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

7i

Dynamic loft 24, 7i loft 34*

1 minute ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

7i

You could try x100 shafts but the chances are it’s not going to se a significant difference.

do you have your spin, launch, peak/apex height and decent/land angle, dynamic loft?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You could try x100 shafts but the chances are it’s not going to se a significant difference.

do you have your spin, launch, peak/apex height and decent/land angle, dynamic loft?

image.png.40b55158611dcd05a412c7cca58ddb55.png

2 minutes ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

image.png.40b55158611dcd05a412c7cca58ddb55.png

image.png.a92c165731f731e3df9775f5fa58c6f2.png

1 hour ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

image.png.a92c165731f731e3df9775f5fa58c6f2.png

You are pretty optimal in everything. Going to the x100 might bring height down a little but there’s a chance they could mess with your swing. Changing heads probably isn’t going to do much and some of the newer heads may add some spin. 

Modus 130x or c taper are possibilities but just not sure you see much improvement in lowering flight.

Is the height just not visually pleasing. 

22 hours ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Looking for suggestions on options to lower ball flight. I'm looking to tinker with my backup set - Titleist 990's with S300. Great irons, but they launch just a little too high and w plenty of spin. Looking for lower, more controlled ball flight. Club speed ~88-89, ball speed ~121. Heads are already bent 2* strong, so need to look at shaft options.

Any thoughts?

Close your club head at address. Take a shorter back swing. Get your hand in front of the ball at contact. The swing controls the ball flight, not the club.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

4 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

Close your club head at address. Take a shorter back swing. Get your hand in front of the ball at contact. The swing controls the ball flight, not the club.

He’s delivering 24* of loft on a 34* head. His hands are plenty ahead of the ball.

His numbers are practically equal to pga tour avg for his ball speed.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:42 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are pretty optimal in everything. Going to the x100 might bring height down a little but there’s a chance they could mess with your swing. Changing heads probably isn’t going to do much and some of the newer heads may add some spin. 

Modus 130x or c taper are possibilities but just not sure you see much improvement in lowering flight.

Is the height just not visually pleasing. 

It’s not a visual thing. Introduce a bit of wind and the ball either balloons if into the wind or drifts on the wind if side wind. Just feels like if I could bring the launch and spin down a slight bit I’d have better performance when conditions are not optimal. Not looking for big change here just trying to tweak flight on stock shots. Probably most noticeable with 8-pw. thanks!

It’s not a visual thing. Introduce a bit of wind and the ball either balloons if into the wind or drifts on the wind if side wind. Just feels like if I could bring the launch and spin down a slight bit I’d have better performance when conditions are not optimal. Not looking for big change here just trying to tweak flight on stock shots. Probably most noticeable with 8-pw. thanks!

Sounds like your stock shot is just fine and what you really need to do is work on technique for a knockdown shot.  No need to change anything for the full swing

Take leas than full swings and use more club into the wind. 

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Sounds like your stock shot is just fine and what you really need to do is work on technique for a knockdown shot.  No need to change anything for the full swing

Posting almost same thing at the sametime 

2 hours ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

I’ll just pile on 😂 if you are tweaking because wind or other non optimal condition then it probably isn’t a stock shot.  You need to change something to get your desired results. This could be accomplished in many ways: choking down, taking more club with less than full swing, or moving the ball back and delofting.   

golf is not always plays in optimal conditions and you need to learn how to adapt from shot to shot.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think @RickyBobby_PR and @jlukes already have it covered, but I will second that the numbers you posted for 7 iron are really solid. Learning the knockdown certainly seems the way to go. You could also experiment with some different golf balls to see how they perform in windy conditions compared to your current gamer. Might help, might not, but the biggest difference will come from learning to control the trajectory via swing and club selection.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I was going to also mention trying some different golf balls.  Not sure what you're using now though

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

id kill for your peak height numbers.  i swing my 7i around 108 and even with launch angles below 20*, i see my apex up in the 150ft range.  

ask a few have mentioned, i was forced to learn a knockdown shot and it's been a real game changer.  now if there's any sort of wind, i'm taking one to two extra clubs and backing off my swing speed.  i still generate plenty of spin, so i can hold greens even with a flatter trajectory.

don't change that stock swing at all! just learn a new shot to add to the arsenal.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

8 hours ago, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Pro V1 left dot if you are stuck with Titleist. I find Bridgestone balls perform better in the wind. The Tour BX would likely drop spin and trajectory as well vs V1. 

For 8-PW hit 3/4 knockdowns with extra club. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

4 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

I was going to also mention trying some different golf balls.  Not sure what you're using now though

Thanks Larry...been playing Pro V1 or Pro V1x for years, playing with marginal changes in spin. If I'm playing a match I pull out the Pro V1.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:55 AM, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Don't alter your clubs to play in the wind. Alter your shot.

BT

I play the ball a little further back in my stance to deloft the club.

I also choke down on longer clubs to hit low into the wind.

That might not work for you if you're two degrees strong already.

My preference is for weaker lofts.  And if it's too windy, I play gin in the clubhouse instead. 

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

S300 is just an awful shaft. It’s too heavy overall and too stout in the butt and mid section but with a comparatively softer tip. This results in a awful boardy feeling, it’s really a disaster of a profile. Who does it fit, really? I bet close to no one and yet you find it everywhere.

I would suggest that the OP change to x100 immediately, not because it will positively contribute to his game but because it will make golf much more enjoyable. 

On 10/26/2021 at 6:14 AM, jlukes said:

Exactly

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF

On 10/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Any thoughts?

to add my 2 cents, it really sounds more like a shaft issue. It's possible the S300 is not the correct shaft for your swing. You hit hard enough, numbers you posted were good.  If you're going to tinker, try a different shaft with different kick points in an iron.  If you're hitting too high right now, look at testing a mid to high or high kick point shaft vs a low kick point shaft. Stiff or Xstiff.  I'm tinkering right now trying out a heavier shaft 123gram stiff vs 105 gram stiff, in an 8 iron. getting a feel.  I put lighter grips on all irons reducing grip weight from 78 grams (Golfpride tour wrap to 52 gram Superstroke). Best fitting I ever had was from an LPGA Pro and she was good in diagnosing & matching ball flight with proper flex shaft and swing, unfortunately she moved when I bought new set of irons.  Good luck! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

17 hours ago, crimea_river said:

S300 is just an awful shaft. It’s too heavy overall and too stout in the butt and mid section but with a comparatively softer tip. This results in a awful boardy feeling, it’s really a disaster of a profile. Who does it fit, really? I bet close to no one and yet you find it everywhere.

I would suggest that the OP change to x100 immediately, not because it will positively contribute to his game but because it will make golf much more enjoyable. 

Did you look at his launch monitor numbers? They are inline with tour avg. there’s no guarantee the x100 does the same for him.

It actually fits a lot of golfers it’s why it’s been around so long. TT has done a good job of moving getting the shaft to work good in lighter weights like the dg120 and 105. 

Edit: not to mention he said he wants to change it for windy conditions so it’s not his stock swing that’s the issue but rather learning technique to play a lower ball in those conditions 

One thought would be to change from the Prov1 to the AVX golf ball.   Buy a sleeve and give that a try.  You might be surprised.   Lowest flight, lowest spin.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE