Lower controlled ball flight

Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

I play the ball a little further back in my stance to deloft the club.

I also choke down on longer clubs to hit low into the wind.

That might not work for you if you're two degrees strong already.

My preference is for weaker lofts.  And if it's too windy, I play gin in the clubhouse instead. 

S300 is just an awful shaft. It’s too heavy overall and too stout in the butt and mid section but with a comparatively softer tip. This results in a awful boardy feeling, it’s really a disaster of a profile. Who does it fit, really? I bet close to no one and yet you find it everywhere.

I would suggest that the OP change to x100 immediately, not because it will positively contribute to his game but because it will make golf much more enjoyable. 

• Hmmm 1

On 10/26/2021 at 6:14 AM, jlukes said:

Sounds like your stock shot is just fine and what you really need to do is work on technique for a knockdown shot.  No need to change anything for the full swing

Exactly

• Like 1

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF

On 10/22/2021 at 3:31 PM, Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob said:

Looking for suggestions on options to lower ball flight. I'm looking to tinker with my backup set - Titleist 990's with S300. Great irons, but they launch just a little too high and w plenty of spin. Looking for lower, more controlled ball flight. Club speed ~88-89, ball speed ~121. Heads are already bent 2* strong, so need to look at shaft options.

Any thoughts?

to add my 2 cents, it really sounds more like a shaft issue. It's possible the S300 is not the correct shaft for your swing. You hit hard enough, numbers you posted were good.  If you're going to tinker, try a different shaft with different kick points in an iron.  If you're hitting too high right now, look at testing a mid to high or high kick point shaft vs a low kick point shaft. Stiff or Xstiff.  I'm tinkering right now trying out a heavier shaft 123gram stiff vs 105 gram stiff, in an 8 iron. getting a feel.  I put lighter grips on all irons reducing grip weight from 78 grams (Golfpride tour wrap to 52 gram Superstroke). Best fitting I ever had was from an LPGA Pro and she was good in diagnosing & matching ball flight with proper flex shaft and swing, unfortunately she moved when I bought new set of irons.  Good luck! 

• Love 1

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

17 hours ago, crimea_river said:

S300 is just an awful shaft. It’s too heavy overall and too stout in the butt and mid section but with a comparatively softer tip. This results in a awful boardy feeling, it’s really a disaster of a profile. Who does it fit, really? I bet close to no one and yet you find it everywhere.

I would suggest that the OP change to x100 immediately, not because it will positively contribute to his game but because it will make golf much more enjoyable. 

Did you look at his launch monitor numbers? They are inline with tour avg. there’s no guarantee the x100 does the same for him.

It actually fits a lot of golfers it’s why it’s been around so long. TT has done a good job of moving getting the shaft to work good in lighter weights like the dg120 and 105. 

Edit: not to mention he said he wants to change it for windy conditions so it’s not his stock swing that’s the issue but rather learning technique to play a lower ball in those conditions 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

One thought would be to change from the Prov1 to the AVX golf ball.   Buy a sleeve and give that a try.  You might be surprised.   Lowest flight, lowest spin.   

• Love 1

Titleist

DRIVER - TSI3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S

FAIRWAY - TSI2 16.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 17.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-53W True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGE - VOKEY SM7 58.12* D Grind - Nippon NS Pro 950 GH R (snow flaked z's)

PUTTER - 2020 SC SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM PUTTER  - 35" Newport 2 w/GolfPride SNSR 104

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST PROV 1

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST MIDSIZE TOUR BAG BLACK