Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Advice on ordering custom clubs

Was hoping someone could give some advice from their own experiences. I did an iron fitting this last weekend with club champion (first ever fitting). They were saying how the shafts they get from the shaft manufacturer are different/better than what the club companies (TM, Titleist, etc.) send you when you order from them. Also they were recommending getting the shafts “pured” when ordering them. 

I’ll include the build price sheet but to me it seems pretty crazy to spend that much when I’ve been able to go online and build the exact same specs on Golf Galaxy or TGW at for like $800 less. CC is basically charging the same price for just the heads as what I can order the entire site for on the mentioned retailers. Also is the pured shafts thing really worth it? Seeing a lot of difference if opinions.

Are clubs built and ordered through club champion really that much “better” or is it just price gouging on their part?

1CB360D3-21AA-455E-B3D1-C2D2AE219495.jpeg

Just price gouging my friend. These will be EXACTLY the same shafts you order anywhere else. On Pureing, I am on the fence. I used to get everything pured. Now, I don't. I am not sure I am good enough to tell the difference (scratch golfer). If it was really worth it, wouldn't you think all pros would do it? Some do and some don't.

The Modus 120's are made pretty darn well. And, they can be had for way less than that (can PURE them for $19.50):

https://www.golfworks.com/nippon-ns-pro-modus-3-tour-120-355-tip-iron-shafts/p/np0001/  

The crosslines are 8 bucks also:

https://www.golfworks.com/lamkin-crossline-360-golf-grip/p/lk0197v/

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

17 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

Was hoping someone could give some advice from their own experiences. I did an iron fitting this last weekend with club champion (first ever fitting). They were saying how the shafts they get from the shaft manufacturer are different/better than what the club companies (TM, Titleist, etc.) send you when you order from them. Also they were recommending getting the shafts “pured” when ordering them. 

I’ll include the build price sheet but to me it seems pretty crazy to spend that much when I’ve been able to go online and build the exact same specs on Golf Galaxy or TGW at for like $800 less. CC is basically charging the same price for just the heads as what I can order the entire site for on the mentioned retailers. Also is the pured shafts thing really worth it? Seeing a lot of difference if opinions.

Are clubs built and ordered through club champion really that much “better” or is it just price gouging on their part?

You will get lots of Opinions on this ranging fro m you should have never gone to CC to they do a great job.   

the theory is that by obtaining the shafts separately CC will select a better weighted set of shafts than what an OEM will do.  The OEM just picks a shaft and installs and don’t deal with the tolerances that are considered acceptable from the shaft maker. 

Puring/spine aligning is another polar opposite type thing. Some players think it is great and others don’t seem too.   There is a list of players that have paid to have their names used along with Puring.   Does it make the clubs better? maybe and it wont make them worse.  Is the cost worth it? That is your call

yes, the cost of the irons from CC is expensive, a search of this site would have discussed how their business model works.  Some even say and provide examples of why their build quality is not great.   

the benefit would be their post purchase guarantees and follow up fitting validation.   Many people say it isn’t good or not true, but something you should ask for clarification on how it works if you go through with the CC purchase.  Buying from GG or TGW is pretty much buy the clubs and transaction complete.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've got an account with a distributor here in the UK and the trade price on those shafts is £26 ($35) so I think someone is having a laugh.

Edited by DStar

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Exactly what @jtgavigansaid.  Use Fairway Jockey's on-line build site and see how that price compares.  I was fitted at TrueSpec and purchased through FJ.  Including the 10% first time customer discount, saved over $800.  As for shaft puring, my suggestion is to skip it.

Oh, and welcome to MGS!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I wouldn’t consider what you posted as custom other than maybe the grips. That is a stock shaft in mizunos 921 line.

Others touched on the add ins like pureing. IMO not necessary so that is all I will say.

The problem you are going to face is the Nippon 120 in every flex is in very limited supply and right now most manufacturers aren’t going to get another shipment until feb/mar.

If you don’t want to pay the CC price you can try to order directly from a golf shop or online from places like tgw, Carl’s golfland and so on.

You can try independent club builders if they have the shaft in stock

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Exactly what @jtgavigansaid.  Use Fairway Jockey's on-line build site and see how that price compares.  I was fitted at TrueSpec and purchased through FJ.  Including the 10% first time customer discount, saved over $800.  As for shaft puring, my suggestion is to skip it.

Oh, and welcome to MGS!

Hi, thanks for the recommendation on fairway jockey. Never heard of them before. I'll get in touch with them. It looks like when going through the build they only have 1, 2, 3 degrees difference in lie angles and mine ended up being 1.5 degree upright for the set I got fitted for. Hopefully they can accommodate the half degree difference. 

29 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I wouldn’t consider what you posted as custom other than maybe the grips. That is a stock shaft in mizunos 921 line.

Others touched on the add ins like pureing. IMO not necessary so that is all I will say.

The problem you are going to face is the Nippon 120 in every flex is in very limited supply and right now most manufacturers aren’t going to get another shipment until feb/mar.

If you don’t want to pay the CC price you can try to order directly from a golf shop or online from places like tgw, Carl’s golfland and so on.

You can try independent club builders if they have the shaft in stock

My bad, I guess i should have just said fit for clubs. i forgot to post the back side of that build price that had different lie angle from what is standard on this set. 

45 minutes ago, DStar said:

I've got an account with a distributor here in the UK and the trade price on those shafts is £26 ($35) so I think someone is having a laugh.

Yes, that was my first red flag when looking around online in the states I was pretty much seeing that shaft at $37 almost everywhere. 

14 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

My bad, I guess i should have just said fit for clubs. i forgot to post the back side of that build price that had different lie angle from what is standard on this set. 

While changing lie angles may be somewhat custom that is also something any club builder will do if requested. The difference with independent club builders whether that’s CC or similar places or a truly independent builder compared to the manufacturer is that they should come with requested lie angle where as manufacturers have a tolerance that’s a ensure from 1-3*.  Also there should be no issue with one doing 1.5 vice 1 or 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I'd also suggest giving Discount Dans a call.  Great service and good pricing.  If you can't locate them, just PM me and I will give you their contact info.  I just ordered a set of T100S irons from them and saved some $$ with my specs, etc and free shipping.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

And I feel bad not having included one of our very own forum members.

McGolf Custom Clubs

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, Tincup_19 said:

Very similar experience to me at Club Champion.  The fitting was excellent, the quoted build much less so.  I got lucky and had a great fitter who explained everything to me.  I learned more about clubs in 90 minutes than I had learned in the 10 years since I've been playing.   The number just wasn't in the cards for me so when I got home I started picking it apart and researching... $80 charge for $35 shafts, etc.  SST puring etc. 

I then went down the rabbit hole of can I build these myself... not a good idea for my first build. 

Then I started looking for local small builders and found a guy who had been at a major fitter for a long time but started building on his own.  We discussed everything and decided to just rebuild my irons to the CC spec for the time being.  It was substantially less (and would still have been much less than the quote even if I had bought the ZX5s I fitted into) even with Puring, which is easily done by hand.  If you're interested in the build process look up the guy fixyurdivot mentioned.  He has a great youtube channel with a lot of build info.

CC doesn't necessarily get better components they just have the volume to match some of the components better -- like sorting all the grips so that the ones they use in your build are all exactly the same weight.  I don't think that level of matching component weights matters as much so long as you build it properly and match the swing weight (totally different than component weight) across the set.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

35 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

Very similar experience to me at Club Champion.  The fitting was excellent, the quoted build much less so.  I got lucky and had a great fitter who explained everything to me.  I learned more about clubs in 90 minutes than I had learned in the 10 years since I've been playing.   The number just wasn't in the cards for me so when I got home I started picking it apart and researching... $80 charge for $35 shafts, etc.  SST puring etc. 

I then went down the rabbit hole of can I build these myself... not a good idea for my first build. 

Then I started looking for local small builders and found a guy who had been at a major fitter for a long time but started building on his own.  We discussed everything and decided to just rebuild my irons to the CC spec for the time being.  It was substantially less (and would still have been much less than the quote even if I had bought the ZX5s I fitted into) even with Puring, which is easily done by hand.  If you're interested in the build process look up the guy fixyurdivot mentioned.  He has a great youtube channel with a lot of build info.

CC doesn't necessarily get better components they just have the volume to match some of the components better -- like sorting all the grips so that the ones they use in your build are all exactly the same weight.  I don't think that level of matching component weights matters as much so long as you build it properly and match the swing weight (totally different than component weight) across the set.

when you went this route were you able to buy just the ZX5 heads? or were you able to order them with the shaft you were fitted for and then had them pulled a apart and rebuilt? 

25 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

when you went this route were you able to buy just the ZX5 heads? or were you able to order them with the shaft you were fitted for and then had them pulled a apart and rebuilt? 

I didn't end up buying the ZX5s.  Just ended up re-using my RSI 2 heads with the CC specs.  If you if you can order it with the shaft you want in the length you need that's not a bad option.  But, I would go to a reputable builder to have them pull it apart and put it back together.  Nothing against the big box guys, but I don't think they have the time to put the care into it when Joe Schmoe is hounding them to add 3 inches to his driver because he read that 48" will give him 30 more yards.  (A, no joke situation that I heard while buying some grips the other day --  I hope to be no where near a tee when he takes a cut with that thing.)

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

45 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

The average consumer can’t just buy heads. Those are limited to authorized fitters. 

26 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The average consumer can’t just buy heads. Those are limited to authorized fitters. 

Yes, almost impossible to get heads only from the major OEMs. I've tried to convince some club building shops that had heads only to sell me heads, but they wouldn't budge at all. 

Once in a while, there are brand new heads only available on ebay, but thats pretty rare as well. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Yes, almost impossible to get heads only from the major OEMs. I've tried to convince some club building shops that had heads only to sell me heads, but they wouldn't budge at all. 

Once in a while, there are brand new heads only available on ebay, but thats pretty rare as well. 

I’ve tried that too and they can’t because of whatever deal they have with the manufacturer. I’ve tried both iron and wood heads

On 10/25/2021 at 12:14 PM, Larryd3 said:

I'd also suggest giving Discount Dans a call.  Great service and good pricing.  If you can't locate them, just PM me and I will give you their contact info.  I just ordered a set of T100S irons from them and saved some $$ with my specs, etc and free shipping.  

Did you place your order in person there or via email? They're pricing was almost too good to be true I was curious if that was the same experience for you? 

19 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

Did you place your order in person there or via email? They're pricing was almost too good to be true I was curious if that was the same experience for you? 

Yiu can email them or call them/ ive ordered multiple clubs from them over the phone 

11 minutes ago, Tincup_19 said:

Did the specs and everything you submitted with them check out once you got the clubs? 

I don’t usually check my specs unless I notice something is off when hitting them. Discount Dans is a pro shop and not club builder. All my clubs shipped from the manufacturer 

17 hours ago, Tincup_19 said:

I've done orders with them both ways.  They are great at returning emails and very prompt over the phone.  I highly recommend them.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft