TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-dedicating my life to the art of putting

Have had two practice sessions over the last two days and wanted to show off a nice feature of the Blast Motion Sensor, the graphs over the entire practice session. Still working on consistency but at least I have a two way miss with the putter now, haha. The first graphs show the face angle at impact (above the line represents open face and below the line is closed face):

406500174_FaceAngle10-25.jpg.665e7974ef41db1104d5730a48ef297c.jpg

1804752174_FaceAngle10-26.jpg.cee3dab8e2997cf2506004313572f1f8.jpg

And tempo (ideal tempo is 2:1):

1292259437_Tempo10-25.jpg.76fbdcb86dd548743ee4183c681dfc2e.jpg

473734546_Tempo10-26.jpg.31d0d2b39e26aad190e68091be9c706c.jpg

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I would say I pay less attention to that then face angle. The 2:1 ratio is what Blast recommends and I usually stay around that EXCEPT when my through stroke starts getting longer. In a way, the ratio helps me keep my backstroke and through stroke even in that way. Face angle, for me, is the end all be all. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Well had a great round (back 9 really) yesterday. I played a new course with nice greens but some wild pin placements so I think putting well was a premium. I had recently switched back to my Seemore FGP and my speed was good all day but reads were bad on the front. I sorted it out by the last few holes and finished on a heater (shot 32 on the back):

image.png.5725760043b8fc4225cecc7e2ad44056.png

All pars and birdies on the back. The putt on 18 probably broke about 3 feet. I'm buzzing. Putting is everything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another pretty good day putting. Didn't really make anything on the front until 9 and then went on a run on the back. The 7 footer I made on 16 I had to put like 4 balls outside of the hole. Just a really rewarding day putting and I ended up shooting 74 which I would chalk up mostly to no 3 putts and making several par saves from over 5 feet.

image.png.ddfff25953c807d48636c79169c3f46f.png

• 4 weeks later...

Several months in and I must say that focusing on putting and having a good attitude about putting has improved my overall enjoyment of the game significantly. Just came off a round with:

- Zero 3 putts!
- 2.04 strokes gained
- +3 75 on a day where I didn't really have it ballstriking wise.

Add to that, I didn't make any bombs over 12 ft and it really shows me how important putting is. I played with a guy who hit it significantly better than I did but he 3 putted from 30-40 ft 3 times and I realized that was me a few months ago. Also, a few things that have worked for me lately:

- Spend much more time looking at the hole while setting up for your putt. Trying to "feel it" with my stroke while looking at the hole was pretty useless. I find just slowly looking up and down my line while over the ball gives me a good sense of feel.

- Once you look down at the ball the final time, just pull the trigger. 

- Keep your through stroke short and definitely shorter than your backstroke or AT MOST the same length. The long through stroke is a recipe for a push most of the time. Especially on short putts. 

Putting is really hard, and if you find a technique that helps, that's a beautiful thing.

It took me years to discover that I would never putt the ball into the ocean from the deck of a cruiseship using a conventional putting stroke.

If I stand with my head over the ball and my feet parallel to the line, I'm more likely to catch a fish than sink  putt.

I putt with an open stance so I can triangulate my view, and I push the putter straight up the line, with no arc, using my right hand.  I'm  just using my left hand to keep my hands on the grip.   My right elbow is tucked in while I'm completely unaware of where my left elbow might be. 

This method does not make me a great putter by any means.

It does prevent me from being an attrocious one, however.   It feels more natural to me, and I don't shake and shiver standing over the ball. 

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

@BostonSalI think whatever gets you as close as possible to 0.0 face angle at impact and you can consistently hit a certain speed is what is needed for putting. I understand exactly what you are talking about with putting open and I have done that before. Currently I am putting completely square because I am back with my Seemore. 

Ultimately, this thread is less about me trying to say "I've figured out putting" (because of course I haven't) but more to be a reminder to myself that what I am doing is working and moving in the right direction. One bad putting day shouldn't force a change or overreaction on my part. And, finally, once you have a reliable overall game...putting along with chipping/pitching is what is going to be the difference between a good day and a great day, scoring wise. 

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

Several months in and I must say that focusing on putting and having a good attitude about putting has improved my overall enjoyment of the game significantly.

... Great progress! Granted there is reading the green and having a repeatable stroke involved but putting is much more mental than physical. We can't hit drives like anyone on the PGA Tour but we can putt like they do. Don't try and make a decent putt, don't try and lag it close ... try and make every putt you face. If you believe you can, the odds go up exponentially. The power of positive thinking is never stronger than rolling a ball several feet into a hole. Literally anyone can do it. You just have to believe you can.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I’ve been to hell and back with my putting. Yesterday 3 putted from 3 feet, threw my ball into the water, wife asks why, I reply the ball is cheaper than the putter. The only hope I seem to have (yes I have tried everything else - EVERYTHING - is the old Arnold Palmer method, pigeon toed knees locked together, arms locked and motionless, entire stroke with the wrists, straight back straight through pop stroke. It works on the practice green I just need the strength of purpose to take it to the course. Can’t be worse than I am now. Truly makes the blade travel straight back and through, the alinement feature on top of the putter travels in a straight line. Anyone else try this/resort to this? Palmer and Casper were brilliant putters in their day, second to none. 

Go to Club Champion, get fit and get a lesson.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Really cool how you are tracking your progress. Typically when most golfers take a step back I would think the opposite occurs and their not as good of a putter as they think. Plus the sensor is a great way to work toward consistency. You can eliminate the variables like face angle and temp and the last part is green reading which cannot really be objectified outside of made or missed putts 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

For the mental side of putting I try to minimize hope and fear   Meaning 
I just practice holing out fairly flat short putts that don’t break at all or just a bit of break to gain confidence first  This way I eliminated the fear of fast breaking short putts until I have to play 
Concentrate my practice to 12 foot and in as those are more make able range 

I was practicing to many long putts “hoping” they go in   For longer putts I just practice distance control to fringe, or to another ball Percentages are that I’m not going to make most of my long putts but if I have good distance control and proper read   I  have a chance to wobble the ball in   
If I stick to that process I should never 3 putt 

Putting can be fickle to say the least.  What helped me to be what I consider a decent putter you ask?  I bought one of those stand alone putters and realized where the putter is actually aiming and not where I think it is aiming.  I used the putter to learn not to play with as I hate the grip but it worked.  I now putt with confidence and make many more putts because of it.  Happy golfing!

Just my two cents' worth:  Putting expectations for most people are way too high.  You can go to the green, basically master 5' putts, and then go to the course and get robbed because of a blemish in the green, or perhaps just misread the green itself.  The pros are in another class, and they have to be because it's their livelihood at stake.  I'm about a 3 handicap myself, and while i see golfers that are better than me regularly, they putt only marginally better at close range.  It's truly amazing, when you look at stats, how close everyone is in their putting between 3' and 10'.  I truly believe an area that you can practice in putting that really makes a difference is in your ability to 2-putt from longer ranges.  If you rarely 3-putt, you're probably gaining strokes on just about everybody.

Cross handed.  Index finger of front hand is straight on the front of the shaft, helps feel for straight align at moment of stroke.  Heads up on medium and long, head down on short, but look at hole out of the corner of my eye.  Use a balanced face putter.  No stats to offer.  Practice practice practice, and focus focus focus, and also, relax, at the same time as focus.  Think positive, it is fun to putt.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

Well yesterday was a quick 9 holes and a bit of a disappointing putting day except for a nice 21 footer made for birdie on #5. All around it was a humbling day as I just didn't really have it in any facet of the game but was interesting because of how volatile my scoring was (went double, bogey, double, birdie, birdie, PAR, bogey, bogey, PAR). I will chalk this up to rushing a bit in my "process" as I was playing by myself and trying to finish before dark. Managed to play 9 holes in about 58 minutes walking. 

image.png.f6497d73fcdbab6db31d706ef9b765d8.png

Update, I might be a good (or at least streaky) putter now with all this practice:

image.png.fa2853e9e8e920f4c590c9fafcacabf0.png

@vandylandboy can I relate to your situation.  Thanks for posting your story and the data of your practice sessions. 

This year has been terrible on the greens.  4 handicap giving up 4-5 strokes on average on the greens a round.  Great year for ball striking though...I think I tried 12 different putters this year.  I have a nice collection of Scotty's but most are blades with lots of toe hang.  For most of my golf life I have been above average putter and putting was a strength.  Got the yips this spring and was routinely missing 3 footers.  Got so bad, I would rather have a 10 footer than a 3 footer.  So I did what any crazy golfer would do, buy more equipment.  On top of that, tried about every technique known to man.  Here is the list: 50 inch broom style, SIK 45 inch arm lock, Scotty T22 Newport II 37 inch, Scotty Phantom X 5.5 (JT), Scotty GoLo 5, Several old vintage Scotty's, Scotty Futura X7 38 inch, Taylor Made Spider EX,  SIK Pro 37 inch.  Multiple grips changes, grips, set ups.  Heads up, left hand low, pencil, saw, traditional....even tried putting left handed.  Finally snowed here so practicing on a perfect practice mat.  Trying to stick with something, so most consistent visually (where the putter face and track is and how the ball is rolling and of course going in the hole) is the Futura X7 which is the only face balanced putter I own with min toe hang.  Super stroke 2.0 XL grip, using the pencil grip.  I seem to be able to keep the face on my line the most consistent with this set up.  No yips.  I have used it before on the course and see improvement 10 feet and I, but historically have struggled with longer putts with mallets.  I did order a Odyssey Two Ball Ten 38 inch/2 upright which it total face balance and no toe hang, which will be here in a few weeks.  I hate giving up the feel I have with a blade putter, especially the trillium putters, but I need performance over feel at this point.  Will continue to practice until the snow melts or until the wife and I get to Palm Springs in February.  Come spring, practice, practice, practice on all lengths until I get comfortable with the set up.  I know I need to stick with something though.  Golf buddies are always cracking jokes about what putter and technique I will be using today.  

What kind of launch monitor are you using to track your putting?  

Stealth 2+ Ventus Black S, Epic Max 3 wood Smoke Black S, Epic 21 3 Hybrid Smoke Black S or an old Titleist 712U 2 iron with Smoke Black X, Mizuno 923 Tours Project X LS 6.0, Mizuno T21 50, 54, 58 KBS V tour S.  Everything is +1 inch.  Currently rolling a Cameron T-22 Limited Release Newport 2.  

Titleist ProV1 X left dash or AVX in the winter when its cold

@joedeausen Strokes Gained Calculator - Track And Improve Your Putting (golfrankingstats.com)

@Droptopman I can certainly relate. It is going well now but I know any day it could flip on me. I don't use a launch monitor, I use a Blast Motion sensor ( Blast Motion | Wearable Sports Analysis Technology - 3D Motion Sensor ) which, as noted above, tells me the face angle at impact which is the key (for me). I just practice 5-10 footers on repeat and try to keep the face angle between 0.5 and -0.5. 

4 hours ago, Droptopman said:

@vandylandboy can I relate to your situation.  Thanks for posting your story and the data of your practice sessions. 

This year has been terrible on the greens.  4 handicap giving up 4-5 strokes on average on the greens a round.  Great year for ball striking though...I think I tried 12 different putters this year.  I have a nice collection of Scotty's but most are blades with lots of toe hang.  For most of my golf life I have been above average putter and putting was a strength.  Got the yips this spring and was routinely missing 3 footers.  Got so bad, I would rather have a 10 footer than a 3 footer.  So I did what any crazy golfer would do, buy more equipment.  On top of that, tried about every technique known to man.  Here is the list: 50 inch broom style, SIK 45 inch arm lock, Scotty T22 Newport II 37 inch, Scotty Phantom X 5.5 (JT), Scotty GoLo 5, Several old vintage Scotty's, Scotty Futura X7 38 inch, Taylor Made Spider EX,  SIK Pro 37 inch.  Multiple grips changes, grips, set ups.  Heads up, left hand low, pencil, saw, traditional....even tried putting left handed.  Finally snowed here so practicing on a perfect practice mat.  Trying to stick with something, so most consistent visually (where the putter face and track is and how the ball is rolling and of course going in the hole) is the Futura X7 which is the only face balanced putter I own with min toe hang.  Super stroke 2.0 XL grip, using the pencil grip.  I seem to be able to keep the face on my line the most consistent with this set up.  No yips.  I have used it before on the course and see improvement 10 feet and I, but historically have struggled with longer putts with mallets.  I did order a Odyssey Two Ball Ten 38 inch/2 upright which it total face balance and no toe hang, which will be here in a few weeks.  I hate giving up the feel I have with a blade putter, especially the trillium putters, but I need performance over feel at this point.  Will continue to practice until the snow melts or until the wife and I get to Palm Springs in February.  Come spring, practice, practice, practice on all lengths until I get comfortable with the set up.  I know I need to stick with something though.  Golf buddies are always cracking jokes about what putter and technique I will be using today.  

What kind of launch monitor are you using to track your putting?  

Looks like we miss each other in Palm Springs.  My wife and I are leaving on Feb 1.  But we are only an hour away the rest of the year.  Where do you normally play?  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Winter months is the time to review my putting stroke   This year I been doing drills at 4, 8, 12 foot range and less so from longer range   I feeling more confident as most off my chips or 2nd putts are from this range   And sometimes birdie putts too !  As  long as I make my fair share off those short putts im content.  Nothing worse then feeling that I will miss from 4 feet before I even step into the putt 

Also I notice that indoor putting to a table leg is sometimes detrimental as I found out when I go to outside afterwards I subconsciously hit it too hard and ball either rolls over the hole or bounces of the pin     I think it better to roll it to a hole if I can 

Edited by Haro

My goal over the winter is to work on putting. I have always been a pretty good putter but I noticed this past season I didn't have as many 1 putts as I normally do. I got lazy to put it frankly. If I was on the green in regulation my mind was easy par instead of possible birdie and didn't focus. On my Christmas list is a putting mat. Well I saw a UPS delivery that I probably wasn't supposed to see. So for sure I will be focusing on putting. Even though I said I wasn't going to chase numbers next season, if I can play as well next season as I did this year and make one more putt per round that should be the ticket to scratch.  Wishful thinking but you always need a goal to shoot for.

Thanks for the link to the strokes gained calculator. I'm sure that will come in handy. Since I have no clue where I stand versus where I think I stand. Tools are good. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

14 hours ago, vandyland said:

@joedeausen Strokes Gained Calculator - Track And Improve Your Putting (golfrankingstats.com)

@Droptopman I can certainly relate. It is going well now but I know any day it could flip on me. I don't use a launch monitor, I use a Blast Motion sensor ( Blast Motion | Wearable Sports Analysis Technology - 3D Motion Sensor ) which, as noted above, tells me the face angle at impact which is the key (for me). I just practice 5-10 footers on repeat and try to keep the face angle between 0.5 and -0.5. 

Thanks for the response.  Makes sense.  Keep up the good work!

Stealth 2+ Ventus Black S, Epic Max 3 wood Smoke Black S, Epic 21 3 Hybrid Smoke Black S or an old Titleist 712U 2 iron with Smoke Black X, Mizuno 923 Tours Project X LS 6.0, Mizuno T21 50, 54, 58 KBS V tour S.  Everything is +1 inch.  Currently rolling a Cameron T-22 Limited Release Newport 2.  

13 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Looks like we miss each other in Palm Springs.  My wife and I are leaving on Feb 1.  But we are only an hour away the rest of the year.  Where do you normally play?  

Terra Lago for the most part since we stay right next door in the condos.  But I usually hit a couple other courses during the week.  Try to hit PGA West for at least one round.  Wife cannot manage the harder courses well so those are generally solo or pair up with strangers rounds.  Not looking good here so I may have a long layoff from playing when we go.  

Had a really good day in the course putting All I can remember is that for the short ones I was not “finessing” Just using my shoulder blade muscles particularly my lead shoulder blade as pendulum and as I got more lengthy  putts used a bit more wrist as double pendulum wrist and shoulders. 
Probably something that only works for a day. Lol