TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-dedicating my life to the art of putting

5 hours ago, Droptopman said:

Terra Lago for the most part since we stay right next door in the condos.  But I usually hit a couple other courses during the week.  Try to hit PGA West for at least one round.  Wife cannot manage the harder courses well so those are generally solo or pair up with strangers rounds.  Not looking good here so I may have a long layoff from playing when we go.  

We've stayed at the Worldmark by Terra Lago several times; nice courses.  We also like Big Rock GC at Indian Springs; not too far away... decent pub food and nice outdoor patio dining.  This year we are staying at the Worldmark Cathedral City, which is across the parking lot from Cimarron GC.  We play there a lot.  We like Indian Canyons in Palm Springs too.

My wife plays most courses decently; struggles with forced carries and elevated greens with no way to avoid bunkers.  I was actually asking about where you play in Yakima.  We don't get up there much to play; wife's ex-SIL and her husband are members at the CC.  I played Appletree a few times but that was long ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

We've stayed at the Worldmark by Terra Lago several times; nice courses.  We also like Big Rock GC at Indian Springs; not too far away... decent pub food and nice outdoor patio dining.  This year we are staying at the Worldmark Cathedral City, which is across the parking lot from Cimarron GC.  We play there a lot.  We like Indian Canyons in Palm Springs too.

My wife plays most courses decently; struggles with forced carries and elevated greens with no way to avoid bunkers.  I was actually asking about where you play in Yakima.  We don't get up there much to play; wife's ex-SIL and her husband are members at the CC.  I played Appletree a few times but that was long ago.

Lol, that is awesome.  We live on the 11th hole at Apple Tree.  My home club.  Love living on the course I can jump in my cart and get some practice holes most nights except in the winter.  I will look into Cathedral City.  Did not even know they had another location in the region.  Cimarron is a great track.  Heard great things about Indian Canyon but have not played it.  

Stealth 2+ Ventus Black S, Epic Max 3 wood Smoke Black S, Epic 21 3 Hybrid Smoke Black S or an old Titleist 712U 2 iron with Smoke Black X, Mizuno 923 Tours Project X LS 6.0, Mizuno T21 50, 54, 58 KBS V tour S.  Everything is +1 inch.  Currently rolling a Cameron T-22 Limited Release Newport 2.  

Titleist ProV1 X left dash or AVX in the winter when its cold

8 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thanks for the link to the strokes gained calculator. I'm sure that will come in handy. Since I have no clue where I stand versus where I think I stand. Tools are good.

The calculator had the opposite effect that I expected, it made me realize I was a better putter than I thought. For better or worse, it might balance out your expectations. Congrats on the putting mat and have fun grooving that stroke. Also work on your fake surprise reaction for when you open it!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

3 hours ago, Droptopman said:

Lol, that is awesome.  We live on the 11th hole at Apple Tree.  My home club.  Love living on the course I can jump in my cart and get some practice holes most nights except in the winter.  I will look into Cathedral City.  Did not even know they had another location in the region.  Cimarron is a great track.  Heard great things about Indian Canyon but have not played it.  

They have 4 locations in the area:  Palm Springs, Cathedral City, Plaza Resort, and Indio.  Indio is the newest; others are old and some show it.  I don't recommend the Plaza.  The one in Palm Springs is 1950's vintage hotel; nice but a little weird.  Indian Canyons has 2 18 hole courses; North is the original 1950's course, flat and longer than the South course which is fairly new.  North is our favorite.  Good breakfast and lunch at the South clubhouse.  Have fun!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is one of the two areas I want to work on as well before March rolls around. I always thought of myself as a decent putter. After being lucky to do the White Hot OG putter #1 review, I have come to find out I am losing 3 plus strokes a round. Info I wish I had when doing the review. Lots of indoor putting for me with the hope of getting out on the course without drowning in rain. 

Is the Blast Golf similar to Arcos? I just did a quick look up. What are a couple reasons you choose Blast golf over Arcos? 

Great info in here and good luck to everyone. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

6 minutes ago, JFish350 said:

This is one of the two areas I want to work on as well before March rolls around. I always thought of myself as a decent putter. After being lucky to do the White Hot OG putter #1 review, I have come to find out I am losing 3 plus strokes a round. Info I wish I had when doing the review. Lots of indoor putting for me with the hope of getting out on the course without drowning in rain. 

Is the Blast Golf similar to Arcos? I just did a quick look up. What are a couple reasons you choose Blast golf over Arcos? 

First question is why are you losing strokes?  Missing short ones, too many 3 putts, lower overall make percentages, or something else?   What do you want to work on?

I think Blast and Arccos are two different things.  Blast is a training aid and Arccos is an oncourse peformance tool.     Blast motion lets you practice your stroke and capture metrics about the stroke like tempo, face angle, shaft lean and can be used for more than just putting and capture metrics for other clubs.   Arccos simply captures makes and misses while you are playing and allows you to determine strokes gained.  Since you are trying to improve indoors and not playing, I don't think Arccos will do much for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

First question is why are you losing strokes?  Missing short ones, too many 3 putts, lower overall make percentages, or something else?   What do you want to work on?

I think Blast and Arccos are two different things.  Blast is a training aid and Arccos is an oncourse peformance tool.     Blast motion lets you practice your stroke and capture metrics about the stroke like tempo, face angle, shaft lean and can be used for more than just putting and capture metrics for other clubs.   Arccos simply captures makes and misses while you are playing and allows you to determine strokes gained.  Since you are trying to improve indoors and not playing, I don't think Arccos will do much for you.  

Over confidence with 3 footers for one. I rarely practice them, shame shame on me I know. it's all an issue make percentage, lad putting, short putts, I just need to practice my putting more in general to become better. I've thought of taking a class on reading greens but that is further down the road. I don't believe I am good enough to break down my putting that far just yet. Master the basics first and go forward from there. 

Thanks for the info on the blast. I haven't heard of it before. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Wow... if I had all that data running around my brain I don't think I could ever pull the trigger.

I am a pretty good putter winning my club's putting championship more than once.  I rarely 3 putt and drain quite a few long ones.

How do I do it? First, I am very good at reading greens, I rarely pick the wrong line.  I believe most people who struggle with putting are really struggling with reading putts for both speed and line. Next, I stick with the same putter, I've been using a Scotty Newport forever. I have a few of them but I stick with one "look".  I have a routine that does not vary and hasn't for many years. I pick the exact spot I want to hit 6 inches out and roll the ball over that spot. I use a standard grip and a square line up on most putts (open my stance on short right breakers).  I take a couple one handed practice swings away from the ball, before setting up to get a feel for the weight.  Once I take my stance I look at the hole, then my aim point set my head over the ball and pull the trigger.  Been working for over 30 years.  I find it amusing to see the pros who change putters, go left hand low, claw grips, long putters... I've done them all fooling around on the practice green of course but would never even think about taking it to the golf course.  Keeping it simple frees the mind in my case and I am blessed with some talent evidently... 

EPIC Driver, EPIC 3 Wood, EPIC hybrid, Adams irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty putter and Titleist ball.

Being someone who was also involved with the White Hot OG putting testing group I learned a lot about my putting from working through that review. One thing I found is I was not starting my putts on their intended line. Couldnt hit through a gate to save my life, thus I have been practicing putting through a gate so far this winter. I'm definitely doing better but its certainly not completely there am looking forward to seeing what happens once I get back out there this spring.

I admit that at times I am a bit slow, and in this case when it comes to strokes gained. I, like you are not a great putter, but lately overall are getting better, 3 putts significantly reducing or in many games eliminated. My yardstick in putting is my total putts. If I have more than 32 it’s a bad day, anything between 29 and 31 is good, and under 29, is a fantastic day. Crosshanded, better at reducing my tendency to swing with my hands, and using a Callaway hickory shafted putter.

Where golf is a way of life, and work but a distraction.

Aimpoint express is a sure fire way to improve any average golfers putting very quickly. 2 lessons with the teaching pro was enough for me to understand how to get a quick and legal read of any  green, anywhere for ever more. 

Then putting speed is all you need to worry about and that can be worked out via a stimpmeter reading or if you know your local course.

If you miss a putt on the high side break of the hole and get the speed of the putt correct then the ball gets closer to the hole as it dies out with speed.

Edited by Grasper Parsnip
spelling

... I would caution those that tie themselves to putting stats, especially putts made to pay more attention to their putts than the number of putts. All 6 footers are not always the same and all putts are obviously not equal. Straight up hill with a very gentle break should be made virtually every time as you can hit your putt just on the edge and know it will break into the hole, maybe 1" or maybe 3" but they will both fall. Downhill with that same gentle break is a little trickier because the downhill can take out break especially on Bermuda and a side hill with that break can also be very difficult. 

... I was playing with a high index player yesterday and he had a 20 foot putt that had to ride a tier and the pin was on the bottom of the slope. He said he would have to hit a perfect putt up the tier, almost die on the top of the slope and then turn to the hole. I asked if he would like some advice and he said sure. I told him to ignore the hole and aim about 1 foot underneath the hole on the low side and that would leave him an uphill 2-3 footer that he could make to save a bogie. He replied he didn't play for bogies when he could make pars. Well he hit a decent putt that almost stopped at the top of the tier then turned and ran 8 feet past the hole never getting within a foot of the hole. Extremely difficult putt! I hit a putt from the same spot but underneath the hole and it stopped 2.5 feet from the hole. He said "And that is why you shoot around par and I struggle to break 90. Seeing it actually executed instead of what I hoped for I realize I was a fool to try and make that putt. But to be honest I would never have thought to miss any putt on purpose by aiming away from the hole." 

... I would liken it to some days it seems like every shot is a good yardage and other days it seems every shot is between yardages. GIR's under those circumstances can be misleading. So I have always thought a much more reliable stat is how many putts did you miss? Keep track of how many makable short putts you missed and that can mean a straight in 6 footer that doesn't go in would be a miss, while a 4 foot hard breaking putt that doesn't go in is not a miss. Same for long distance. A 40 footer with a gradual break that leaves too long a next putt is not the same as coming over a hump to a downhill, double breaker that leaves too long a next putt. The first is a miss but the second putt a good try and should not be counted as a miss. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, labillyboy said:

Wow... if I had all that data running around my brain I don't think I could ever pull the trigger.

Your assumption is that there is lots of information running around in our heads when we are on the course.  When practicing technique and gaining understanding the information may be helpful.  When on the course, knowing that information really doesn't help you; however, understanding your stroke can help you rationalize why you missed a putt.  

People are wired differently and as a result learn and perform differently.   I would guess that you gather and process the same information being discussed,  you just do it differently 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I try and keep it simple.  Is my putter face square? Do I feel relaxed?  Am I avoiding "grass lag"?  When I practice, my first priority is distance.  If I get the right distance from 20 feet, but my aim is off three feet I am better off that if my aim is good but my distance is 5 feet long or short. Of course I practice my aiming using a 3 reference point aiming method for putting.

PM PT Aiming Metal.JPG

SDVOSB precision Marker, Richard Sweet, Founder

First, I think finding a putter you’re comfortable with, whether by trial and error or being fit is key. I have dabbled with other putting strokes but traditional works for me. My problem isn’t stroke or distance control, it’s reading the line. Especially on new courses which is why I’m all for banning green books. There is definitely a skill involved. 

I see putting in three segments and all three segments have to work together. Think of an immovable triangle which structurally cannot shift or fall apart.

The read - you have to see the break. My first look is a line at the hole. OK it breaks a foot. LOOK at a line adjusted by a foot , where does it go. Re adjust. On longer putts with break, It usually takes me three or four adjusted looks to see and feel the path of the ball along the line.

Speed - this is all feel. I warm up by placing balls 5, 10, 15 feet from hole. Closest ball stroke. Middle ball, then furthest ball. New hole, repeat at least twice. Then reverse, hit furthest ball first and move closer. I really don't care about the pure line. This is setting my feel for cut grain distance with obvious uphill downhill side hill choices.

The stroke - combine with speed feel. I've used a ruler, draw back two inches and hit 5 putts, where do they go.  Draw back 4 inches, where do 5 putts go....then 6 inches, then 9 and 12 inches. You now have a bracket and a distance range finder.

You HAVE to understand all of above before you even begin to worry about square arc toe this that or the other. Those stroke path elements will fall into place and become consistent over time.

My friends comment and complain. I am going to drop at least one 10-15-20 ft bomb per round. I am not likely to 3 putt.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

great read and a must book mark, I need to make some in roads to being a better putter again and this is a thing of beauty. 

moved to arm lock putter grip and added 5" to my Odyssey, need to be more locked in (triangle) putting unlocked after weeks of practice gives me the same stroke.  need to invest in myself for 2022 and putting is much needed area. 

cheers for sharing 👏 

Control that mind 

10 hours ago, TitleistMike said:

You HAVE to understand all of above before you even begin to worry about square arc toe this that or the other.

This statement is the only reason I disagree with your  post.   The reason is that while face determines direction, not being able to deliver the face and loft correctly will resulted in ball speed variations coming off the face.  These ball speed variations will result in inconsistent distance and direction using the same stroke length.    

All the pieces are interconnected and as a player you have to understand them all.   Once you understand them all speed is probably the most important as our dispersion pattern is typically longer than wider unless we are looking at putts that break severely.  

@TitleistMike  Maybe I am not understanding correctly but I sort of combine your 2nd & 3rd into the speed category.  When practicing drills I am aware of the backstroke length and how that translates to distance.  And by doing this in drills I develop a feel for the length stroke necessary to hit a certain length putt.  On the course I am not watching the length of the backstroke but going by the developed feel.  But speed control is what I struggle with more than the read or direction so maybe I need to switch things up.....or more likely I need to practice more!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I do not spend much time tinkering with the grip.  I use the same grip that I use with all my clubs.  Has worked well for me.  Really work on my line and trusting it.  Am a plumb bobber and have been for years, it works for me and I trust it.  When warming up before a round work on distancing to get a feel for the greens for that course and that day.  Really helps ME.  Putting is a personal thing and you really have to find what works for you and trust it.  Cheers.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Not a bit of sarcasm here but I've found that you need to knock it closer to really improve putting. So I backtrack.  My course demands excellent wedge play but am I even going to be hitting wedges if I don’t hit fairways? 

So I go back to the driver.  Sounds crazy, doesn't it?  I did start using the Putt Out device and quickly learned about putting where I aim.  Now that needs work!

:cobra-small:  LTDx Drive

:cobra-small:  LTDx 3, 5 & 7 Fairway Metals

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

:PXG:0311 Wedges--56° & 60°

:PXG: Blade Putter

:maxfli: Tour Golf Ball

1 hour ago, 6 Million Dollar Man said:

Not a bit of sarcasm here but I've found that you need to knock it closer to really improve putting. So I backtrack.  My course demands excellent wedge play but am I even going to be hitting wedges if I don’t hit fairways? 

So I go back to the driver.  Sounds crazy, doesn't it?  I did start using the Putt Out device and quickly learned about putting where I aim.  Now that needs work!

That was something Harvey Penick told Justin Leonard (i think) when he complained he wasn't making enough putts..... Hit it closer!  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 12/25/2021 at 8:30 PM, Shapotomous said:

I've found that you need to knock it closer to really improve putting.

Best advice in this 3 pages as far as I'm concerned!!!  This year in 44 rounds I've hit 33 % of GIR.  That equates to 12 chipping opportunities per round, to chip the ball to within 6 feet which is my, and likely almost everyones 50/50 make distance(Its actually 52/48 1 putt/ 2 putt at 6 feet).  For 7 and 8 footers combined I make @ 25 percent (28% 7' & 21% 8'). 

Thats why I regularly practice 4,5,6, 7 & 8 footers.  These mostly just require that I hit the ball straight(yes you get your severly sloped 4,5, and 6 foot, benders), but most of the time you just need to not push or pull that 5 footer.   I've practiced my stroke, and enough distance control on sub 8 foot putts( on my putting mat), where I've eliminated the worry of blowing a 6 footer, 7 feet past the hole, yes that was a worry at one point.

And as the quoted portion indicates.  After practicing my putting and improving my one putt percentage the last 30 rounds on sub 8 footers, I realized that with 12 opportunities a round to chip the ball, that improving my putting, HOWEVER I'm going to meausure it will be helped by chipping more of those 12 opportunities to within 7 feet of the hole, CLOSER THE BETTER!  

That's why weather permitting I practice twice as many chips, as I do putts.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Well today was a reversion back to the mean on my putting. I knew it was coming and today I just didn't have it speed wise. My lines were fine but I was out of sorts on the front 9 of a course I haven't played in years. But no excuse, I didn't really adjust and I lost 2.5 strokes on the green today. Tough scene out there. Need to get the blast back out tonight as punishment.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

This past few months I’m been working on my short putts   4-10 foot range   I was okay from long range but terrible from short range.  Missing the hole entirely or poor speed control and lipping out.   Last time playing on the course after practice out I was so confident with my short putts that it put less pressure on my chipping and long putting. 

17 hours ago, Haro said:

This past few months I’m been working on my short putts   4-10 foot range   I was okay from long range but terrible from short range.  Missing the hole entirely or poor speed control and lipping out.   Last time playing on the course after practice out I was so confident with my short putts that it put less pressure on my chipping and long putting. 

Don't be too hard on yourself  when it comes to putting.  I did for a long time, and realized that television, and my own ignorance led me to believe that pros were making 60-70 % of 20 footers(so why can't I) they are not.  You are right on! Practice 10 feet and under, you can appreciably make more 5 footers you can't 20 footers, and hone in speed control to reduce 3 putting on everying over 10'.  Sure we're trying to make those 12-15 footers, but not 3 putting is a more important focus than making it.  Here is a chart I found.  Note Pro's 3 putt % at 29' !!

DISTANCE ONE PUTT TWO PUTT THREE PUTTS-Plus EXPECTED PUTTS AVG.
1 foot 100% 0.0% 0.0% 1.001
2 feet 99% 0.6% 0.1% 1.009
3 feet 95% 5% 0.2% 1.053
4 feet 86% 14% 0.2% 1.147
5 feet 75% 25% 0.3% 1.256
6 feet 65% 35% 0.3% 1.357
7 feet 56% 44% 0.4% 1.443
7 feet, 10 inches 50% 49% 0.5% 1.50
8 feet 49% 51% 0.5% 1.515
9 feet 43% 56% 0.6% 1.575
10 feet 38% 61% 0.7% 1.626
11 feet 34% 65% 0.8% 1.669
12 feet 30% 69% 0.9% 1.705
13 feet 27% 72% 1% 1.737
14 feet 25% 74% 1% 1.765
15 feet 22% 77% !% 1.790
16 feet 20% 78% 1% 1.811
17 feet 19% 80% 2% 1.830
18 feet 17% 81% 2% 1.848
19 feet 16% 83% 2% 1.863
20 feet 14% 84% 2% 1.878
21 feet 13% 85% 2% 1.891
22 feet 12% 85% 3% 1.903
23 feet 11% 86% 3% 1.914
24 feet 11% 86% 3% 1.924
25 feet 10% 87% 3% 1.934
26 feet 9% 87% 4% 1.944
27 feet 9% 88% 4% 1.953
28 feet 8% 88% 4% 1.961
29 feet 8% 88% 5% 1.970
30 feet
Edited by stuka44

Most golfers  seem to focus on the swing rather than putting for lessons.  I was searching golf forums threads and there very little on putting   What there is players wanting help for making short putts!

Edited by Haro

• 2 weeks later...

Tournament golf is hard. 

Played in a tournament this past weekend and it was 35 degrees and wet. Shot 86. Made an 8 on the first hole. 3 putted #1, #6 and #17. I would say that practice green was massively different to the actual course but I should have adjusted. I was obviously nervous but also just didn't really go through my process. The whole round felt like it went by in 10 minutes. Good experience. 

On the plus side, I was a bit freaked on the range at the start and switched my Cobra Speedzone weights to have the heavy weight in the back (higher launch, more spin, supposedly "more forgiving") and driving was one of the lone bright spots. My launch was considerably higher which was helpful with almost no roll out on the fairways and my squeeze cut was replaced with a soft draw. Everything else was rather horrendous though. 

23 hours ago, vandyland said:

I would say that practice green was massively different to the actual course but I should have adjusted.

This is widespread in my view. 

I have a good practice green at home and practice regularly on it.  I now purposely don't really practice putting on the practice green before a round, to judge speed and pace by hitting at target flags, believing I can apply what a 15 foot putt stroke  on the practice green, to the course.  It just never seems to be close to the actual green speeds, and just adds confusion to adjusting to the actual speeds, and distacne control I need putting on the actual greens.

I just practice my stroke hitting my two balls back and forth.  I rely on my experience, practice and the actual course to judge my distance, because the practice greens I play mostly are much quicker, or much slower than what the course is going to be, and just seems to slow my adjustment to the actual greens.  

6 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

It just never seems to be close to the actual green speeds, and just adds confusion to adjusting to the actual speeds, and distacne control I need putting on the actual greens.

I agree. It was a course I had never played and was bent grass (95% of the greens in Middle Tennessee are Ultradwarf Bermuda) so I felt I needed to at least roll a few. The interesting thing I always forget about Bent is how much more the ball spins back on approaches. I was pulling the ball back 10-15 feet on wedge shots and I almost NEVER do that on bermuda. 

Also, not that anyone cares what I shot but 86 is the highest round I have shot in the last 2 years by about 4 shots. I must be a mental midget when it comes to competitive golf (for reference I always putt out and play by the rules so it's not as if I was freaked by having to make 3 footers). I will try again in a few months. For now I need to focus on staying in my routine.