TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-dedicating my life to the art of putting

39 minutes ago, vandyland said:

I agree.

I know I still roll balls before almost every round, but I concentrate on  not relating anything on the pactice green to distance control, because chances are it won't apply.  I just hit one practice ball, and then try to just hit the others straight at the first.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

33 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

I know I still roll balls before almost every round, but I concentrate on  not relating anything on the practice green to distance control, because chances are it won't apply.  I just hit one practice ball, and then try to just hit the others straight at the first.

When away from my home course I ignore the cups and putt to a tee on the practice green. This sharpens my focus. If I can hit a tee I can certainly get it in the cup.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's mid-winter here in TN so you can still play on a few days but mostly it is swing work inside or into a net. I am really struggling with where or not I should care that my head "dips" during the downswing. Rory does it, but he's rory. Tiger does it, but he's Tiger. Louis Oosthuizen does not do it and he has one of the smoothest swings out there. CH3 does not do it and he has the best looking swing (to me). I have a few good feels in my swing and I feel like I have finally chased out the biggest recurring swing flaws I had in 2021:

(1) Early extension in BOTH the backswing and the downswing (fixed with the Tiger warmup drill he was doing at PNC)
(2) Flat shoulder angle/turn (fix one helped this and so does thinking about bending towards the ball during backswing, i.e. left side bend)

But now this head drop move (it happens during the transition to downswing) is messing with me. Always a work in progress I guess.

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Bought a putting mirror prior to Xmas and tried  to roll a few putt indoor 

Notice right away i was looking down  more from inside  of the ball and my eye alignment is open to the line 

Trying to get  more on top of the ball and square by moving my head position  doesnt feel comfortable to me but I  did roll in more short putts 

Re setting with my head  by just tilting my head  without  adjusting my shoulders seem to throw off my tempo  and  I cant seem to have as good distance control. 

I tried adjusting my shoulder more square by cross hand grip and this seems to get my eyes more parallel to the line  and over the ball  but I feel that not naturally to me 

Then I turn my trail hand to  claw and let my trail arm hang and wow felt really good . rolling end over end putts from 4-30 feet away 

from 30+ feet I feel more comfortable with the eyes inside the ball  and revert to my old putting posture and grip I think I naturally aim to the right edge cup 

I dont know if it  better to have one putting stroke rather than have two- one for longer putts and one for short/med putt length 

On 10/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, vandyland said:

A bit of a dramatic title but I have been on quite the rollercoaster with putting the last few months. To summarize, went from conventional putting to heads up putting, then tried to incorporate a straight back and straight through stroke, then tried to switch to the saw grip, then tried an armlock putter (in store) and finally returned to conventional putting the last few rounds. I have always disliked putting because I felt I was a poor putter and that scoring was too heavily influenced by putting. Well, whether any of that is true or not is irrelevant. Putting IS important and you can't really ball strike your way around poor putting unless you are ELITE (which I am not). So, after getting some good advice from @cnosilin the heads up thread, I had to step back and see if I was a bad putter or if I just had too high of expectations. 

I used this strokes gained putting calculator for my last two rounds (9 hole and 18 hole, respectively) and found out I was gaining strokes putting. 

image.png.e7598d5251cde2805d4283d546e6042a.pngimage.png.13ada7ec536e742c7b8591d828007e1e.png

Now, I will admit that the 18 hole round was clearly a good putting day, for the most part. In the past I would have dwelled on the missed 3ft putt and the 3 putt from 40 ft instead of the makes from 12 and 9 feet. 

So what is the point? I guess I would encourage others to take a look at their putting and see if it is as bad (or good) as you think it is. To get better, I think having consistently solid putting performances is the fastest way to lower scores. So it is my goal to keep getting better at putting or at least have it at the forefront of my practice. Maverick McNealy noted that his rise from obscurity in the WAGR was down to forcing himself to become a better putter by practicing putting FIRST anytime he went to the golf course. 

To accomplish that goal I have the following tasks/habits I am working on:
_Commit to practicing 3x times a week with my blast golf motion sensor and a metal yard stick to work on the hitting my starting line (minimum of 75 putts per session)
_Establish a preshot routine that involves walking off the putt (quickly, we don't have all day here), reading the putt and then "feeling my line". A key here is that I try to spend a lot more time looking at the hole than my ball or my stroke. The more time I can spend softly looking at my target and the intended line, the better chance I have of executing a good putt.
_Giving full attention to my putts (I have been guilty in the past of just walking up to putts and glancing at the line and hitting them, I would never do that over a 150 yd shot from fwy)
_Literally remind myself I am an above average putter (using the above data points) and that it can and should be a strength of my game
_Continue to track strokes gained on putting each round with the understanding that there will be ups and downs. 

I hope to update this with evidence of me sticking to this plan. I would encourage anyone else who struggles with putting or who has ideas for their own putting progress to participate. 

As a semi-retired club fitter, the first thing I would check is the putter face angle.  It is relatively simple.  On a hard flat board, draw a straight line length-wise on the board.  Grab your best putter, the flashlight, and the board and stand in front of a full length mirror where you can see the putter face in the image.  Lay the board on the floor facing the mirror and the flashlight on behind the board,  Take your normal putting stance with the putter face centered on the line.  Does the face seem to be centered on the line?  If the face toe is up, your putter is too long.  If the face points down, the putter is to short.  Adjust your hands on the grip until the face seems square again.  This is the length your putter should be.  Any toe up or down amplifies you miss hits by up to 5%, which becomes disastrous on long putts.  Any good club repair guy or gal can make the adjustment to the length of your putter.  Good Luck

Great thread and I think the comments here translate to many other parts of our game. I agree with you that my expectations for my putting were way too high and it allowed me to easily get discouraged. If you take a look at the Shotlink data from the PGA tour, you will realize quickly that your expectations were likely too high. Before looking at the data I thought that any approach shots from inside 100 yards should ALWAYS hit the green, yet the tour average last year was 85% and only birdied 23% of the time. This blew my mind! Along with the other data I created a summary below that might be useful to a few of you. Granted the course setups the pros play are much more difficult than what we play, it can help set some reasonable expectation and take some pressure off when we play our local courses.

Approach Shot Distance GIR %

AVG Distance to pin on approach (Fairway)

AVG Distance to pin on approach (Rough) Birdie Percentage
200+ 44% 52' 73' 32%
175-200 55% 34' 53' 14%
150-175 64% 28' 44' 15%
125-150 70% 23' 37' 19%
100-125 75% 20' 32' 23%
<100 85% 17' 26' 23%

Putts Make %      
< 5' 97%      
5' - 10' 57%      
10' - 15' 30%      
15' - 20' 19%      
> 20' 7%      

Avg Approach Putt 2' 4"      

Sand Save % 50%      
Scrambling 61%      

Chipping Proximity to Hole

30+ yards 13'      
20 - 30 yards 9'      
10 - 20 yards 7'      
<10 yards 3'      
Sand 10'      

Driving        
68% of the hole yardage is typically converted by tee shots on Par 4's

54% of the hole yardage is typically converted by tee shots on Par 5's

FIR 61%      
Club Head Speed 115 mph      
Ball Speed 171 mph      
Launch Angle 10.52      
Apex Height 100'      

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

2 hours ago, CanadaMike said:

Granted the course setups the pros play are much more difficult than what we play, it can help set some reasonable expectation and take some pressure off when we play our local courses.

... I will add another point. I played my local muni today right after the qualifier for the Waste Managment tourney in Phoenix next week. I have a good 400 rounds or more on this course in the last 3 years and have never seen the greens in this condition. Normally 10-11 on the stump which is fast for a typical muni but they were rolling at 12.5 and to use an old cliche' it was like rolling a putt on a pool table. I would estimate over time if you can shoot near par, the condition of the greens would be worth 3-5 shots every round. I had a 20 footer today up hill with about a 3 inch break which did just that for a birdie and normally the ball will wander some especially as it begins to lose speed but today if you had the right read and speed, it was going in. Just a joy to putt on especially downhill short putts.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

12 hours ago, chisag said:

I had a 20 footer today up hill with about a 3 inch break which did just that for a birdie and normally the ball will wander some especially as it begins to lose speed but today if you had the right read and speed, it was going in.

I totally agree, I have played a few courses with really fast greens and once you adjust to the speed putting is actually easier! If the tour really wants to lower scores then setup your greens like public courses, that ball will bounce around everywhere haha

Avid recreational golfer with a 9 handicap, looking to make major equipment upgrades this year

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra Speed Pro X 10.5° with Aldila VS Proto 65g shaft

Cobra Golf Logo - LogoDixCobra S2 3-Wood 15° with Fujikura Regular flex 65g shaft

Founders Club Hybrids (3 & 4) and Irons (5-PW) with Regular shaft

Cleveland Golf - Wikipedia          50° and 56° CG14 with Zip Groves and 8° & 11° bounce with Wedge Flex shaft

60° REG.588 Tour Action with Wedge Flex shaft

Home - TaylorMade GolfTaylorMade Ghost TM 110 Putter 34"

undecided | DevpostUndecided on what Golf Ball to use this year

Wish I could putt on greens like that 😞  All the greens I putt on bounce around, are slow, etc. it's hit or miss whether you're going to make a birdie putt or not.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

11 hours ago, Haro said:

I like to see the tour pros putt on really furry slow green for a week and see if the putting score does get worse or can most adjust. 

Most if not all will adjust before they finish the front 9 of their first round. If the practice green is the same as the greens in the course they may have it dialed in before they get to the first green

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 hours ago, Haro said:

I like to see the tour pros putt on really furry slow green for a week and see if the putting score does get worse or can most adjust. 

... It isn't the speed of the greens although admittedly faster greens make it much easier to putt well. It is the way the ball can bounce or wobble off line on slow greens that almost always have too many unprepared or improperly repaired ball marks as well as longer grass, especially Bermuda causing the ball to move off it's line.  Pro's can adjust to the speed but there is no adjustment for balls wandering/bumping/ knocked off line by poorly maintained muni greens. 

... The course I play at least 200 times a year has fast greens but being a muni ball marks and inconsistent maintenance cause balls to wander off line. I got to play the course after the Waste Managment qualifier and the greens were absolutely perfect. Every ball mark had been repaired and the greens were rolled and double cut so even the most delicate and fast downhill putt rolled straight and true, something I have never experienced on this course. 

• 4 weeks later...

Also just got a puttview book. I will be putting this into play this weekend so we'll see how it goes. Really just curious if having the green reading aspect simplified will make any difference:

Puttview.jpg.8021b914901f65bb9b285af6eeb7e629.jpg

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* "Std" setting ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 18* "lower" setting➖ :mizuno-small: Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 5 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while as my putting was stable for the early part of the summer. The last few weeks it has been quite bad again. I will admit to not practicing as much but the actual stroke just feels....terrible. So much so that I am VERY tempted to get a LAB putter. Been looking hard at the DF 2.1. LAB is either on to something or they have excellent marketing and persuasive skills because people swear by them. Also, it offers that very alluring item that manufacturers are always chasing...it supposedly makes you better without you having to become better. I am interested in untorquing myself but $500 is a lot to commit to such an experiment. 

I have must admit that putters don't get my juices flowing but LAB has really caught my attention. I have literally built like 10 different LAB putters in the last few days but I am really going to have to go to club champion or something to actually feel one in my hands. 

On 10/25/2021 at 4:02 PM, vandyland said:

To accomplish that goal I have the following tasks/habits I am working on:
_Commit to practicing 3x times a week with my blast golf motion sensor and a metal yard stick to work on the hitting my starting line (minimum of 75 putts per session)
_Establish a preshot routine that involves walking off the putt (quickly, we don't have all day here), reading the putt and then "feeling my line". A key here is that I try to spend a lot more time looking at the hole than my ball or my stroke. The more time I can spend softly looking at my target and the intended line, the better chance I have of executing a good putt.
_Giving full attention to my putts (I have been guilty in the past of just walking up to putts and glancing at the line and hitting them, I would never do that over a 150 yd shot from fwy)
_Literally remind myself I am an above average putter (using the above data points) and that it can and should be a strength of my game
_Continue to track strokes gained on putting each round with the understanding that there will be ups and downs. 

Also, as an update to the initial goals I laid out. I have really failed on the first one. No way around it. I probably practice once a week on the yardstick. I will say I have a good preshot routine now and giving full attention to putts. I am currently failing on reminding myself I am above average putter as I feel like I totally suck right now. I am tracking strokes gained on putting and my last 4 rounds look like this:

[-3.50] (ouch, ouch) -- not much to say here other than I three putted from 10 feet. That hurt.
[-2.10] -- in my defense this was at Ralph Myhre in Middlebury, VT which had the most difficult greens I have putted on in years. Very challenging breaks. 
[+0.20] -- on a golf course with really flat greens.
[-3.00] -- on my local course I play 20-30 times per year, relatively flat greens.

SO YEAH, IT'S NOT GREAT

22 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Haven't updated this in a while as my putting was stable for the early part of the summer. The last few weeks it has been quite bad again. I will admit to not practicing as much but the actual stroke just feels....terrible. So much so that I am VERY tempted to get a LAB putter. Been looking hard at the DF 2.1. LAB is either on to something or they have excellent marketing and persuasive skills because people swear by them. Also, it offers that very alluring item that manufacturers are always chasing...it supposedly makes you better without you having to become better. I am interested in untorquing myself but $500 is a lot to commit to such an experiment. 

I have must admit that putters don't get my juices flowing but LAB has really caught my attention. I have literally built like 10 different LAB putters in the last few days but I am really going to have to go to club champion or something to actually feel one in my hands. 

... I didn't go back and re-read the thread but a good putter with a good stroke can put well with anything. A bad putter with a poor stroke can't putt with a perfectly fit putter. No doubt a putter that fits your stroke will help but reading the line and speed correctly, then making a good stroke are much more important.

... Try this. Next time you practice putting use your LW and blade the ball with the leading edge. This will do two things. First your expectations will be lower because it is very difficult. 2nd you have to make perfect contact to get the ball to roll correctly. It is a great training drill and will expose any deficiencies in your stroke. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 12:54 PM, vandyland said:

LAB just emailed about putters with blemishes as low as $275. 🙂

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

17 hours ago, BMart519 said:

LAB just emailed about putters with blemishes as low as $275.

I just ordered one! Should be here in a few days....

8 hours ago, vandyland said:

I just ordered one! Should be here in a few days....

And I thought you started this thread to discuss "the art of putting".  I'm not sure that LAB qualifies as "art".  Now if you had ordered a Bullseye putter, then we can talk about "the art of putting".  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, I got it!

E149A2B6-198B-4F5B-9F76-3D864297F1F5.jpeg

2D364A8A-B417-4215-AF86-639E41D64559.jpeg

Spent a weekend with the LAB golf putter. So far, it is quite good on lag putts (others have mentioned that in their reviews and I would agree). I think it is down to the sheer mass of the club and that even if you mishit it the ball still comes off about the same speed. Short putts are a little odd at the moment since I am still playing around with ball position. I would tend to agree with Sam Hahn (LAB golf president) that with the press grip it makes sense to play the ball a decent bit forward. I have the shaft in the center of the stance which putts the ball position off my left heel or just inside it. I am still trying to "untorque" myself and not think too much about my stroke or path and just make a good roll. So I am 27 holes in with the LAB and, currently, I would say it is better on putts 20+ feet than my current gamer, neutral on putts 10-20 ft and slightly worse on 10ft and in but, again, early days. 

1 hour ago, vandyland said:

Spent a weekend with the LAB golf putter. So far, it is quite good on lag putts (others have mentioned that in their reviews and I would agree). I think it is down to the sheer mass of the club and that even if you mishit it the ball still comes off about the same speed. Short putts are a little odd at the moment since I am still playing around with ball position. I would tend to agree with Sam Hahn (LAB golf president) that with the press grip it makes sense to play the ball a decent bit forward. I have the shaft in the center of the stance which putts the ball position off my left heel or just inside it. I am still trying to "untorque" myself and not think too much about my stroke or path and just make a good roll. So I am 27 holes in with the LAB and, currently, I would say it is better on putts 20+ feet than my current gamer, neutral on putts 10-20 ft and slightly worse on 10ft and in but, again, early days. 

If it's any help at all, having gone through the testing process here with the DF, I found that ball-forward was both a huge help and a thing I had to get used to.  I was so SO used to putting ball-middle, that when I (after watching the same videos from Sam) starting putting the ball forward, I was still trying to hit the ball - that sounds stupid, lol.  But I mean, instead of letting the putter head naturally fall back where it started (and it really does want to just stay on the line it starts on) and then naturally rise up and meet the ball, I was subconsciously shifting my weight to hit the ball closer to the middle of my stance like I used to.  When I allowed the head to just travel on its path and just let the ball get in the way, my accuracy from inside 10-feet skyrocketed.  

It's really a club I got to LIKE practicing with, since my confidence grew with it nearly every time out.  Hope you find the same!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track