Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cobra RadSpeed XB vs TM SIM Max (1st gen)

azstu324

I've been looking for a good review thread covering the Rad Speed XB but can't seem to find anything on MGS so thought I'd start a thread

I've been playing the 1t Gen TM SIM MAX for all of last season. I love the look, sound, and feel. Distance has been OK but not really an improvement over the previous King F8+ that I just loved! I'll even say that I don't feel like the SIM MAX is any more forgiving than the F8+ and I may have even hit the F8+ a little further due to the lower spin qualities. Personally I don't have much of a need for a low-spin driver as my stats with the SIM MAX are low 2k's already. I'm just looking for something that I can squeeze a little more head and/or ball speed out of while maintaining consistency, and with an adequate amount of forgiveness. By forgiveness, I'm not looking for a magic wand to cure hooks and slices. I'm looking for something that won't completely destroy the distance on a strike that may have wandered from the sweet spot. Additionally, I'm looking for a club that is just easier to direct the sweet spot to the ball more consistently. There are just those clubs where you feel like you can swing out of your shoes and somehow find the center of the face every time. Other clubs you feel like you need to make it your baby-mama just to get it to behave. 

I'm wondering if anybody here has had a chance to compare the original SIM MAX with the RadSpeed XB (since they're more or less the same class and the XB is the subsequent release from the SIM MAX 1st Gen) . While I'm feeling pretty good about things with the SIM MAX, I've been looking for a reason to put another Cobra driver in the bag and it looks like the RadSpeed XB might just be that club. 

Any Info is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I know this isn't the answer that you wanted to hear but, I would recommend doing a fitting.  I plan to do one for next season to match the correct driver to my increase club head speed. 

PXG Gen 4 0811X 7.5 degree Evenflow CB 50g

PXG Gen 4 0841X 3 Wood Evenflow CB 60g

PXG Gen 4 0817XF Hybrid 22 degree Evenflow 80g

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 52

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 56

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Maxfli Tour Gloss White Golf Balls

Maxfli Tour X Gloss White Golf Balls

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 10:43 AM, nupezb said:

I know this isn't the answer that you wanted to hear but, I would recommend doing a fitting.  I plan to do one for next season to match the correct driver to my increase club head speed. 

I agree with you 110% on getting fit, and that it is the one true way to maximize any club's performance for the player. My dilemma might seem petty but unfortunately I'm a man who has to answer to a budget and by budget I mean a wife. Funny thing is that I ended up buying the Cobra RadSpeed and was "fit" into the HZRDUS RDX Blue at PGATSS. I took it home and the first thing I did was remove the cobra connect grip and put on my own preferred Lamkin Sonar Tour. In doing so though, I ended up changing the swing weight enough to make a pretty big difference. I was able to add some extra weight to the head to find my D2 but just could never get the same feeling back that I had at the initial fitting. I had given the driver a good 5 rounds and just couldn't find my mojo. Late one night I was watching the finals for the driver testing from TXG with the Mizuno STZ vs the Tour Edge C71. That piqued my interest as both drivers were within my budget and have nothing but stellar reviews from all types of folks with different skill levels. About a week ago I went back to PGATSS to try these 2 out just to see what I'm missing. Had I given either of these an initial shot, the Cobra wouldn't have even been a thought. 

Short story long, I ended up taking the RadSpeed back as I was within the 90 day play window and swapped it for the STZ with a MotoreX F3 6S shaft. Everything across the board was just as TXG discovered in their testing. Much more forgiving on my miss which is low on the face and off the heel. With this combo I feel like I'm finding the center of the face MUCH more consistently. Launch is a hair higher with the higher loft and shaft at around 15* but spin is still low 2K's and club and ball speed are up significantly. The club comes stock at my normal playing length at 45" so no adjustments are needed. 

I want to give the shaft a good solid workout before I make my decision on keeping it or swapping it for my Motore X F1 6X or other options. I also opted for the S flex as anything XS, my spin #'s were just too low. With the F3 S flex, I can load effortlessly and not have to swing out of my shoes to make it work and my club head speed is still 106-110 range and the shaft plays very stable with my smoother transition. 

I've also contemplated going back to my previous UST ProForce V2 Black that I loved before testing the Motore X F1 6X for MGS. I've currently got the F1 it in my 3 wood and the thing is a straight rocket launcher on a rope so I'd hate to shake that combo up at all. 

#golfisfun  

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I realize you've already made your purchase, but...

Reading your interest in something that won't lose a lot on mishits, my first thought was the G400 Max (and its Max successors).  About as high on the MOI scale as they come.  I would think if there's anything that would provide that level of forgiveness, it would be one of these.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...

Not that this will help too much but I replaced my 2017 Taylormade M1 with the Radspeed XB and it's just a beast imo... The M1 was one of the best drivers I ever hit (was able to hit almost every shot shape I wanted and had reliable distance) and it took a lot to take it out of my bag especially for a Cobra which I thought was more hype around Bryson then actual technology. This club is for real... beautiful at address with the matte crown, dropped my spin down to around 2500-2700 rpms and honesty added 10 yards more carry and up to 20 yards more roll out. I've never hit balls out past 250yds and lately I've been hitting a lot out there. So I would give the Radspeed XB a huge thumbs up... I hope this helps...

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." ~John Stuart Mill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope." ~Winston Churchill

Gaming: Woods: Cobra Radspeed XB Driver, 3W, 5W, Cobra KING Forged TEC 4-PW, Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 48*/10* F Grind, 54*/12* D Grind, 60*/12* D Grind, Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 🙂