TESTERS WANTED! ×

One Length … not crazy yet

B_R_A_D_Y

I bought a set of RadSpeed OL off CarolinaGolfer2, two weeks ago, and finally got to hit them today … on a cold, swampy, rainy, and misty day.

Because of the conditions, and the fact that we are heading into winter, there is no way I can get an honest feel for these clubs until I can play them in warm weather. That said, I can certainly let y’all know what I think of the differences in the aesthetics … the mental surprises these clubs present.

My old set is Apex Pro 19 … with a nice thin top line. The RadSpeed is completely different and looks sooo chunky … massive. And they feel so heavy to me, which I think is compounded by the length of the short clubs … heavy head plus a longer shaft really adds up. I’ve got to find a scale that measures both club & swing weight. I was prepared to face the length of the wedges, but completely forgot that it would push the ball so far out from its traditional position. I’m certain I can adjust … it just messes with your head seeing the ball so far away, you feel like it’s going to overfly the target. Again, remember rainy, cold winter day, so ball was not flying as far anyway.

I laughed when I saw the GW, and I laughed harder when I stood over the 4-Hybrid … it looks like a kids club or a specialty club someone cut down to use as a recovery club, popping the ball out from under tree lines. I hit it off a tee box just to get an idea of trajectory, and it gets the ball up nicely. My Apex Pro hybrid runs quite a bit. It will be really interesting to see how this one lands when the fairways and greens aren’t plugging.

I remain optimistic.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Let us know how you get on with them, the more you hit them. When I tried out a set, I absolutely loved the wedges and scoring irons, and didn't have any problem adjusting to the shaft length.

The lower lofted irons, on the other hand, weren't so hot for me, like a lot of other one length users. Curious to see how you'll get on.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Let us know how you get on with them, the more you hit them. When I tried out a set, I absolutely loved the wedges and scoring irons, and didn't have any problem adjusting to the shaft length.

The lower lofted irons, on the other hand, weren't so hot for me, like a lot of other one length users. Curious to see how you'll get on.

I think I’m seeing the light. Warmish evening here so played 9 with new irons. First PW I teed off with I stuck into the ground … killed my arthritic hands. But 2nd shot felt truly great. As a matter of fact, I’m really liking them. I hit them at least as far as my old Apex Pro, but the forgiveness on my misses (toe) puts the old irons to shame. I was on the green in regulation 5-6 times, and I’m hitting the same distances … it’s cooler out there so I think I’ll get even better distances in spring. I’m really aware of how tall I stand, which is what I wanted for back relief. The 4H hits with just as soft a feel as irons … although I’m certain that my old 4H flies further. But I like the new one so much I’m considering ordering a 3H. So with only 9 holes under my belt, I’m beginning to really like them. I hit 6 & 7 irons well, but haven’t hit the 5, SW or GW yet. I have had a gap in my distances cuz I don’t have a GW, so looking forward to trying it.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

i am not familiar with single length clubs.  Are the gap increments between lofts set differently to compensate for the single length?  

How do they make the stronger lofts go far enough without the extra shaft length?

They obviously do something scientific, because the concept has been around a while.  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

9 hours ago, BostonSal said:

i am not familiar with single length clubs.  Are the gap increments between lofts set differently to compensate for the single length?  

How do they make the stronger lofts go far enough without the extra shaft length?

They obviously do something scientific, because the concept has been around a while.  

It really isn’t about lofts, it is about shaft and head weighting.  here is some info from the Cobra page that talks about how they adjust the heads weights and what shafts they use.  You can also look at the specs to compare lofts since you are mostly interested in loft numbers.  

https://www.cobragolf.com/one-length-irons/how-it-works

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Other sources of information on one length would be Sterling Golf, Edel Golf, and it you want 3 length you could look at Equs Golf.  

what you will see there as well is constant head weight through the set with fairly normal lofts.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Looking at the Cobra specs, I was surprised to see the lie angles change when the lengths didn't.

Maybe it was just printed in error.  I don't know.

The Rads also had seriously strong GI club lofts which some people like.

Not a bad idea, but I'm good with the conventional approach to lengths.

I could be too old of a dog for new tricks,

but I remember some kid winning the NCAA individual  title with single length clubs quite a few years ago.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I fit clubs and never sold one set of One-Length clubs. No one even asked about them! It was like when Tiger was hitting Nike and no one wanted them! Clothing & shoes, yes, but not clubs. I could never figure that one out!

Edited by HDTVMAN

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

Looking at the Cobra specs, I was surprised to see the lie angles change when the lengths didn't.

but I remember some kid winning the NCAA individual  title with single length clubs quite a few years ago.

Why would the lengths change? The name tells you exactly what they are, one length 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It is an interesting concept and just not something I can find interest in.  Seems to work for at least one pro.  Of course his swing speed with them is off the charts.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

4 hours ago, BostonSal said:

That was Bryson and he is still playing single length. He started with Edel and the switched to cobra

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF

It really is a shame. The Edel team spent thousands of hours of time and money helping Bryson throughout his amateur career and he abandoned them for Cobra due to the sponsorship money. Nothing against Cobra, as they make good equipment. There is just not much loyalty anymore. 

SIM 8*, Accra TZ5

PXG 341 3 wd, tensei blue 

Titleist hybrid, KBS 95x

PXG0311P irons, steelfiber 115cw

Bettenardi wedges

mini 7s putter 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Why would the lengths change? The name tells you exactly what they are, one length 

The point wasn't about the length but the lie angle.   If the clubs are the same length it would seem likely that the lie angles would be the same throughout the set. 

Cobra feels that the long irons need to be more upright because players subconsciously swing the long irons with more effort, creating more droop.

Also, some have said they used softer tipped shafts in those longer irons, which would add to the droop factor.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have been playing the OL King Forged Tech irons all year & like them a lot.  Just simplifies ball position to center of your stance & the same distance away from the ball. I struggled initially with the scoring irons but had no problems with the lower lofted irons / hybrid. My distances were a club longer on average than my previous variable length clubs but that is probably the Forged Tech properties & not due to length of clubs.

I am one of those guys whose brain makes golf pretty difficult so simplifying the whole stance, ball position thought process has helped me a ton.  My wife just took up golf again after many years off & I bought her a cheap set of OL Pinhawks off EBAY - all clubs look like hybrids - & she is having pretty decent success with them.  She likes the OL for the simplicity & the big heads for more confidence in contact as she learns the swing. 

I believe firmly someone new to golf would benefit a bunch from OL but may be a difficult adjustment for individuals who have played a long time.  Good luck with the experiment! 

There are differences between different maufacturers of One length irons in the way that they are built. Bryson is playing Cobra Forged One length irons but all his are bent to a lie angle of about 72 or 73 degrees on every club, because Bryson is a real talent and he is built different.

The standard lie angles on the Cobra forged oe legth that they sell to us vary between 64.5 degrees  for the 4 iron to 61.5 degree  for the Pw, Gw etc, I believe that the hosel sizes on these irons vary too as do the launch points in their shafts, Hi launch for their long irons and low launch for their short irons..

The Cobra Graphite is standard 7 iron length and has a swingweight of c9 which is around the same swing weight of the old Ping eye 2 irons. The steel version of the Cobra one length is a D2 swing weight off the rack.

For me one length should mean that every lie angle is the same just as every swing weight is the same as well as the club length so I have gone with the Tom Wishon EQ1 NW single length Iron heads 5 to SW inc GW so  altogether 8 x iron heads and I have built them to the 8 iron length of 36.5".  Tip trim for 8 iron then Butt cut shaft to 36.5"

The heads weigh 275G or there abouts so I added 5 grams or so of Tungsten putty to the heads to make them all 280g then added the Stepless shafts that I like and the Mid size grips to get a swing weight of D2 for each iron.

They are all the same Length, Lie and swingweight so in the dark you would not know which club you were holding. The thing is that before I took up this venture I went to a place that had Trackman, I had never used it Before and checked my swingspeed with my old Ping Eye 2 8 iron and it was 84 MPH or over. This gave me the confidence to build to 8 Iron length as that ought to be more than enough speed to launch the one length 5 iron.

Testing at the range and distance gap testing will begin next week. I have not bent them at all as the standard  Lie angle of 63 degrees seems to sit correctly at address for me, Time will tell. Lol.

Edited by Grasper Parsnip

Single length club sets aren't a new idea.  I remember in the early to mid 1990s Wilson marketed a a set of irons where the lengths were all basically the same and sold to the beginner end of the market.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:18 AM, BostonSal said:

18 minutes ago, YamYam said:

Single length club sets aren't a new idea.  I remember in the early to mid 1990s Wilson marketed a a set of irons where the lengths were all basically the same and sold to the beginner end of the market.

Tiger Shark had quarter inch gaps instead of half inch gaps in their irons in 80s but 1986 Tommy Armour made a set of true one length irons  but there were gapping issues. The short irons went long while the long irons went short. Modern Technology has sorted this out provided you can swing fast enough with the one length longer irons upto 4 iron in some sets although 5 iron is propably the max for most club golfers. There are however hybrids and Fairway woods that can take the place of the 3,4, 5 irons that will perform for slower swingers.

Here is my experience, and some thoughts about 1L clubs.  I have been hitting them 5 or 6 years, now.  First was a set of custom fit Wishon Sterling irons (6-GW).  Then, I replaced that set with Cobra F8 1L (6i - GW).    I had the 1L hybrid but sold it.  Was never able to gap it with the rest of my set.  It seemed to be one more 150 - 160 club and not that much more consistent.   For context, I am 62 and play to a 9-10 index/hdcp.   I am 5' 11  and around 200 lbs - pretty average size.  

I am currently playing a mixed/blended bag... 5,6,7 irons are Titleist T400s, and then (another) 7i - LW are 1L Cobra.  I even had 1L (7i length) shaft put on my Calloway SureOut SW (58 degree).    I found I was reluctant to hit it outside of short pitches and sand shots for fear of catching it thin.   So I put the longer shaft on that too, and it has  been very successful.   

The positives  for 1L are so many.   I have essentially 1 ball position for all but my 5i, 4h and 4w.    When I am practicing and warming up before playing, I can hit just one club and feel comfortable with the contact and flight.   The short game is where the 1L really shine.   I  can go waist-high to waist-high and cover 10 yard gaps from 90  to 130  yards (GW to 7i). Then, since I can choke down on the 1L short irons and wedges (without worrying about thins), I can get the 5 yard increments in between with really the same swing and set up.  So, i have 85 - 130 in 5-yard increments that I am very comfortable with -- really just a half swing.    I blend the Titleist irons at the top of my bag because the stronger loft and hollow construction gives me a bit more yardage with those (5i, 6i, 7i).     I find the wedges pretty easy to chip with, especially if you adopt the high handle with the heel raised, toe-putt style of chipping (which is very popular with instruction, now).   

In the end, you just have to map your bag and know your yardages and see how everything fits together.   I was originally blending at the 8i (carrying 2 8 irons), but the 7i length give me more consistency out to about 155 yards.   

I don't know if I could go back to a traditional set.   I have the full set of Titleist t400 irons (5i - PW, 43W, 49W ).  I played with them for about 4 months and missed the versatility and consistency of the short irons and wedges and chipping/pitching.   So I came up with the blended set and have been pretty happy.  All the GI club makers are making the hollow construction irons, now.  So the next set I may look at would be that construction in the Cobra 1L -- King Forged Tec, for example.  

Hope this helps.  

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

On 10/29/2021 at 7:03 PM, MCB14230 said:

That was Bryson and he is still playing single length. He started with Edel and the switched to cobra

Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, saz0418 said:

Here is my experience, and some thoughts about 1L clubs.  I have been hitting them 5 or 6 years, now.  First was a set of custom fit Wishon Sterling irons (6-GW).  Then, I replaced that set with Cobra F8 1L (6i - GW).    I had the 1L hybrid but sold it.  Was never able to gap it with the rest of my set.  It seemed to be one more 150 - 160 club and not that much more consistent.   For context, I am 62 and play to a 9-10 index/hdcp.   I am 5' 11  and around 200 lbs - pretty average size.  

I am currently playing a mixed/blended bag... 5,6,7 irons are Titleist T400s, and then (another) 7i - LW are 1L Cobra.  I even had 1L (7i length) shaft put on my Calloway SureOut SW (58 degree).    I found I was reluctant to hit it outside of short pitches and sand shots for fear of catching it thin.   So I put the longer shaft on that too, and it has  been very successful.   

The positives  for 1L are so many.   I have essentially 1 ball position for all but my 5i, 4h and 4w.    When I am practicing and warming up before playing, I can hit just one club and feel comfortable with the contact and flight.   The short game is where the 1L really shine.   I  can go waist-high to waist-high and cover 10 yard gaps from 90  to 130  yards (GW to 7i). Then, since I can choke down on the 1L short irons and wedges (without worrying about thins), I can get the 5 yard increments in between with really the same swing and set up.  So, i have 85 - 130 in 5-yard increments that I am very comfortable with -- really just a half swing.    I blend the Titleist irons at the top of my bag because the stronger loft and hollow construction gives me a bit more yardage with those (5i, 6i, 7i).     I find the wedges pretty easy to chip with, especially if you adopt the high handle with the heel raised, toe-putt style of chipping (which is very popular with instruction, now).   

In the end, you just have to map your bag and know your yardages and see how everything fits together.   I was originally blending at the 8i (carrying 2 8 irons), but the 7i length give me more consistency out to about 155 yards.   

I don't know if I could go back to a traditional set.   I have the full set of Titleist t400 irons (5i - PW, 43W, 49W ).  I played with them for about 4 months and missed the versatility and consistency of the short irons and wedges and chipping/pitching.   So I came up with the blended set and have been pretty happy.  All the GI club makers are making the hollow construction irons, now.  So the next set I may look at would be that construction in the Cobra 1L -- King Forged Tec, for example.  

Hope this helps.  

Thanks.

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I got my one length Wishon EQ1 NX irons on Sunday, so this morning I had planned a quick trip to the range to try them out.  It was pouring with rain so I decided to just test the one length 5 iron agaist my own 5 iron and the one length PW, in between showers.

I was amazed as firstly I had not hit a golf club for over 3 years until 2 weeks ago I had 1 hour on trackman with an 8 iron to check my swing speed  I hit these One length  irons very well right out of the gate and the one length 5 iron out performed my normal length 5 iron. I struggled to find the centre of my own 5 iron but I pured a few for the test purposes.

The Wishon one length was  more forgiving than my own 5 iro and I found it much easier to hit the centre of the club, the height of the ball flight from one length iron was not noticeably different than from the height of my variable length 5 iron and the distance was at least the same maybe 5 yards longer carry.

The PW was very easy to hit too, my concern was would the longer shaft in the PW seem odd but it didnt. The ball flew a bit higher with the PW one length than with my own variable length PW but if aything the 1 length PW went a little further too.

These are great clubs and it wil be great fun playing them, although with these irons you would normally hit the ball from the same position as you would an 8 iron for every club,  5 to SW, you can move the ball back for a lower flight or forward for a higher flight and you can still grip down to change ball flight too, so it will be fun experimentig with them.

I am going to book the trackman for 1 hour to dial these irons in and to check the distance gapping, I am very happty with the quality and the look of these clubs and anyone considering One length Irons. I would certainly recommend these Tom Wishon WQ1 NX irons as all being the same weight and having the same lie angles and all being made to the same swingweight, it makes it easier for practice purposes as if you can hit one club, then you can hit them all.

spelling