TESTERS WANTED! ×

To Fit or Not to Fit

B_R_A_D_Y

Maybe I should have asked “When to fit?”

Short background, I’m 64 and this is my first year back after 14 years … got a new knee. The first 3 months I had difficulty with being out of energy after just 6 holes. I ended the season playing 36 holes twice a week. So I’ve gotten stronger. I think my handicap went from 25 to 18. I’ve broken 40 several times, but my bad back always cause the wheels to fall off for 4-5 holes … I never have 2 good 9s back to back. I am capable of shooting 39-55 or 55-39 … neither side has an advantage. I win 2-4 skins a week. ……. Geezsh, this is such a long winded setup … get to the point already.

Now, here’s my conundrum: I do not think it is smart for me to get clubs fit to a swing that I have not fully re-grooved yet. If I can get back to hitting the center of the face regularly, then I’ll get a full fitting. I don’t want to go in and hit everything badly … I’m fully capable of having bad swing days. I don’t want to get fit & buy a set for a swing that I think will change in a year. I am forever optimistic that I’ll get better. I doubt I’ll ever shoot par again, but I’ll be happy breaking 80. And then I’ll get fit.

Is that dumb? Am I not understanding fitting correctly? I know I can tune my clubs … get fit for new shafts, etc. Maybe I’m just cheap.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

OK, I'll bite.  You're dumb and cheap!  🤣

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure you play your driver and 3W very well, or you wouldn't still have 23-year old clubs.  But a lot of tech has come and gone in 23 years.  Have you tried any new clubs recently?  Compared them to your 975's?  If not, you might be surprised.

Have you taken any lessons since you have been back playing or had a swing evaluation from a pro?

If you have been playing most of this year and playing 36 holes a day, your swing probably isn't going to change much until you either get lessons or put a lot of time in getting your swing to be more efficient.  It could be that properly fit clubs would help make it easier.  

An FYI... most everyone here has had "bad swing days" and it's very common to have "a tale of two nines" type of day; myself included!!  You can read about many of them in the How'd you play? thread.  What I'm getting at is that if we all waited to get fit until we are hitting the ball better, many of us would never get fit.  Life is too short to think "Well maybe next year."  

I'm 74 and and got a new knee at age 67... should have done it sooner.  It only took a few months to play better than i did before surgery, because I wasn't playing well for several years with the sore knee.  I've been taking lessons and trying to improve my game through better technique and gain some of the distance I lost.  It's an uphill battle, but that's why I love golf; there is always something to improve.  

I say... get fit!  If you make significant improvements in the future, then you have earned another fitting, and we can read all about it in the What have you bought lately thread?  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Maybe a better way of looking at it along the lines of what Kenny said is why not go in try some clubs along with yours on the LM system and see the difference that could be gained with some new equipment independent of your swing variations as you would be comparing your current set and newer clubs on the same day... whether that is a good or bad swing day? 

Also I wouldn't go and do a full bag in one day. Break it up and do woods one day and irons another day. It is so easy to fatigue and hit too many shots and then results really go out the window. 

So if it was me, go in and get fit. Take your clubs and see if you can find the gains you want comparing side by side. As we are all amateurs (at least most all of us) we will always be working on swings, adjusting and seeing what swing we are bringing to the course on any given day. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Looks like I didn’t change my club profile😝 I bought standard woods in May, because I knew modern tech would help me. I’m playing TSi3 1-3-5w & 2-3h. And yes I hit the driver 40yds further than my 27yr old driver.  I kno fitting will help.

I like y’all’s answers … yes I am cheap, but my wife would disagree. She gives me hell over each new golf purchase. Maybe I’m not cheap, but just afraid of my wife. 🤣🤣

I like the idea of fitting in steps.

So I realize that I asked the question wrong … the issue for me is, why get fit while my swing is changing. I’m a certified instructor with mental swing issues. I am a range player right now. I kno it’s a flat surface … my course is hilly, but I can stripe them on the range, pitch perfectly, putt well, until I get on the course and then I fall apart. So if I can get out of my head, I will get better. Duh. Just had a revelation … 🤣🤣🤣 … if I’m good at the range, I should be good at a fitting. Dummy.

Thanks for your time y’all. You have helped me.

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

OK, I'll bite.  You're dumb and cheap!  🤣

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure you play your driver and 3W very well, or you wouldn't still have 23-year old clubs.  But a lot of tech has come and gone in 23 years.  Have you tried any new clubs recently?  Compared them to your 975's?  If not, you might be surprised.

Have you taken any lessons since you have been back playing or had a swing evaluation from a pro?

If you have been playing most of this year and playing 36 holes a day, your swing probably isn't going to change much until you either get lessons or put a lot of time in getting your swing to be more efficient.  It could be that properly fit clubs would help make it easier.  

An FYI... most everyone here has had "bad swing days" and it's very common to have "a tale of two nines" type of day; myself included!!  You can read about many of them in the How'd you play? thread.  What I'm getting at is that if we all waited to get fit until we are hitting the ball better, many of us would never get fit.  Life is too short to think "Well maybe next year."  

I'm 74 and and got a new knee at age 67... should have done it sooner.  It only took a few months to play better than i did before surgery, because I wasn't playing well for several years with the sore knee.  I've been taking lessons and trying to improve my game through better technique and gain some of the distance I lost.  It's an uphill battle, but that's why I love golf; there is always something to improve.  

I say... get fit!  If you make significant improvements in the future, then you have earned another fitting, and we can read all about it in the What have you bought lately thread?  😂

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Maybe a better way of looking at it along the lines of what Kenny said is why not go in try some clubs along with yours on the LM system and see the difference that could be gained with some new equipment independent of your swing variations as you would be comparing your current set and newer clubs on the same day... whether that is a good or bad swing day? 

Also I wouldn't go and do a full bag in one day. Break it up and do woods one day and irons another day. It is so easy to fatigue and hit too many shots and then results really go out the window. 

So if it was me, go in and get fit. Take your clubs and see if you can find the gains you want comparing side by side. As we are all amateurs (at least most all of us) we will always be working on swings, adjusting and seeing what swing we are bringing to the course on any given day. 

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

3 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Looks like I didn’t change my club profile😝 I bought standard woods in May, because I knew modern tech would help me. I’m playing TSi3 1-3-5w & 2-3h. And yes I hit the driver 40yds further than my 27yr old driver.  I kno fitting will help.

I like y’all’s answers … yes I am cheap, but my wife would disagree. She gives me hell over each new golf purchase. Maybe I’m not cheap, but just afraid of my wife. 🤣🤣

I like the idea of fitting in steps.

So I realize that I asked the question wrong … the issue for me is, why get fit while my swing is changing. I’m a certified instructor with mental swing issues. I am a range player right now. I kno it’s a flat surface … my course is hilly, but I can stripe them on the range, pitch perfectly, putt well, until I get on the course and then I fall apart. So if I can get out of my head, I will get better. Duh. Just had a revelation … 🤣🤣🤣 … if I’m good at the range, I should be good at a fitting. Dummy.

Thanks for your time y’all. You have helped me.

I know the feeling about playing off non-flat surfaces.  My course was flat until it was rebuilt 25 years ago.  The architect built lots of mounds, and I swear there isn't a flat spot on the fairways!!  I struggled with that (still do),  but remember the swing is the same... your setup is different (club selection may be different too!!).  If you can stripe 'em on the range, you should have no problem at a fitting.  Fitters see all kinds of swings and know to expect some bad results.  Your good swings and bad swings are produced from the same swing; they don't need every swing to be perfect... just a few, so don't wear yourself out hitting more balls than necessary.  I agree with @GolfSpy_APH... do separate fitting for irons and woods.  It's quite tiring IMHO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Your swing isn’t changing. Your compensations for it do.

If you aren’t going to get lessons then your swing is your swing. Like @Kenny Bsaid it’s not going to change otherwise so whatever your swing is now get fit. A good fitter is going to be able to look at your your swing, your ball flight (some will use a launch monitor and some may only refer to it to confirm what their eyes show them). They will also get your input on what your miss is, what your typical shot and ball flight is. They will get your input on how the clubs they are giving you to try in the fitting feel…be honest with all feedback. They will use all of this to get you in club that will work with your swing on your good shots and will reduce the affect of your bad ones.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I know the feeling about playing off non-flat surfaces.  My course was flat until it was rebuilt 25 years ago.  The architect built lots of mounds, and I swear there isn't a flat spot on the fairways!!  I struggled with that (still do),  but remember the swing is the same... your setup is different (club selection may be different too!!).  If you can stripe 'em on the range, you should have no problem at a fitting.  Fitters see all kinds of swings and know to expect some bad results.  Your good swings and bad swings are produced from the same swing; they don't need every swing to be perfect... just a few, so don't wear yourself out hitting more balls than necessary.  I agree with @GolfSpy_APH... do separate fitting for irons and woods.  It's quite tiring IMHO.

Just got back from a PT screening. I knew I had leg strength & balance issues from a TPI screening, just didn’t kno how bad it was. As you age most people develop balance issues. And on hilly surfaces, balance it a big factor. I went to PT because I’m feeling C-spine weakness developing and wanted to nip it in the bud … but then they found major range of motion issues in feet & legs. I’m visiting my son in GA next week, and the local repair shop does driver fittings for $75. I’m gonna do it at least see what shaft differences there are. Can’t afford a new driver with the other clubs I want, but I might be able to afford a new shaft.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Your swing isn’t changing. Your compensations for it do.

If you aren’t going to get lessons then your swing is your swing. Like @Kenny Bsaid it’s not going to change otherwise so whatever your swing is now get fit. A good fitter is going to be able to look at your your swing, your ball flight (some will use a launch monitor and some may only refer to it to confirm what their eyes show them). They will also get your input on what your miss is, what your typical shot and ball flight is. They will get your input on how the clubs they are giving you to try in the fitting feel…be honest with all feedback. They will use all of this to get you in club that will work with your swing on your good shots and will reduce the affect of your bad ones.

It is quite evident now, that I am not able to swing well because of leg weakness, balance … and mental game 🤣. So going thru PT will get me back to a more stable base. Aside from that, I fully believe my swing can get better. Otherwise there would be no golf instruction industry … and I would have wasted years & lots of money studying it. There is a lot to be said for fixing your misses thru fitting, but I think I should fix the swing first, then get fit … I might be wrong. That’s why I asked. We will see how a driver fitting goes next week. I may be singing a new tune.

22 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

It is quite evident now, that I am not able to swing well because of leg weakness, balance … and mental game 🤣. So going thru PT will get me back to a more stable base. Aside from that, I fully believe my swing can get better. Otherwise there would be no golf instruction industry … and I would have wasted years & lots of money studying it. There is a lot to be said for fixing your misses thru fitting, but I think I should fix the swing first, then get fit … I might be wrong. That’s why I asked. We will see how a driver fitting goes next week. I may be singing a new tune.

I’m not saying you won’t swing better once health, but ones swing is ones swing and it doesn’t just change. Sequencing may get better or the compensations one makes in their swing will be more consistent but the swing itself isn’t going to change.

Also even if somebody does lessons after a fitting their specs aren’t going to drastically change. Ones not going to go change shaft profile or even potentially weight in a shaft from lessons. I have been fit to the same shaft 3 different times in 3 different drivers from the time I was a 15 handicap to now as a single digit and various lessons.

Other shafts that I have been fit to in irons and woods are basically the same over that course of time.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Also even if somebody does lessons after a fitting their specs aren’t going to drastically change. Ones not going to go change shaft profile or even potentially weight in a shaft from lessons. I have been fit to the same shaft 3 different times in 3 different drivers from the time I was a 15 handicap to now as a single digit and various lessons.

Eureka! That’s what I’ve been looking for. Thx RB.
Just an aside … Titleist studies show that it is not only finding the appropriate shaft for a golfer, but then tweeking it by testing 4 shaft weights of that same shaft, in order to find the one that affects swing speed most. It is one of the first things they look at for increasing swing speed thru equipment.

3 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Eureka! That’s what I’ve been looking for. Thx RB.
Just an aside … Titleist studies show that it is not only finding the appropriate shaft for a golfer, but then tweeking it by testing 4 shaft weights of that same shaft, in order to find the one that affects swing speed most. It is one of the first things they look at for increasing swing speed thru equipment.

For the most part yeah. I’ve been to a few titleist fittings and we never tested various shaft weights. Outside of their Performance institute and possibly the fitting studios like TXG, Club Champion,TruSpec you won’t see fitters having 4 weights classes in each shaft, probably won’t see more than 3. Most manufactures don’t even make 4 weight classes in a shaft. 

But shaft weight is an important part of fittings.

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For the most part yeah. I’ve been to a few titleist fittings and we never tested various shaft weights. Outside of their Performance institute and possibly the fitting studios like TXG, Club Champion,TruSpec you won’t see fitters having 4 weights classes in each shaft, probably won’t see more than 3. Most manufactures don’t even make 4 weight classes in a shaft. 

But shaft weight is an important part of fittings.

I’m in the middle of my TPI Power 2 certification and that’s what they said they now do. That’s why I mentioned it. Amazed me. Shaft weight is independent of swing speed. They start light & increase weight until they see diminishing returns, and then stick with last best speed. They said they have a standard 4 weights they try and anyone will find one of those weights to be gold standard for their specific swing characteristics.

7 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I’m in the middle of my TPI Power 2 certification and that’s what they said they now do. That’s why I mentioned it. Amazed me. Shaft weight is independent of swing speed. They start light & increase weight until they see diminishing returns, and then stick with last best speed. They said they have a standard 4 weights they try and anyone will find one of those weights to be gold standard for their specific swing characteristics.

That’s cool you are doing the TPI certification. It will be interesting to see what the fitting carts at the various local shops have along with what their reps bring to the titleist thursday events.

I was in my pro shop the other day and there definitely wasn’t 4 shaft weights for each shaft for woods. For irons there was only flex differences and a few with length differences. I didn’t pay attention to the hybrids but from what I remember earlier in the summer it was just flex differences

I would highly recommend getting a fitting. For me, it helped me immensely.  Yes I might need new irons after I reach a certain level, but golf is, in my opinion, an evolving game.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg